Can you provide an overview of what Harman has seen evolve in the digital cockpit in the past year or two, and how you see that developing to introduce new capabilities over the next couple of years?
We're seeing the value of the vehicle shift from RPM to what we call "EPM", or Experiences Per Mile.
The most significant shifts in the digital cockpit reflects the key trends in mobility today. It is clearer than ever before that our cars are about much more than moving us from point A to point B. Safety is expected but brilliant experiences are demanded and we're seeing the value of the vehicle shift from RPM to what we call "EPM", or Experiences Per Mile. This means that functionality, safety and advanced entertainment needs to be perfectly integrated with the car, and connect the occupant with their digital life. We're supporting our OEM partners in this journey to leverage Harman's differentiated technologies, iconic brands, and eco-systems to bring these experiences to life.
Harman started off 2021 by showcasing three fully-integrated digital cockpit solutions at our virtual Harman ExPLORE event. These illustrated how the car can leverage Harman technology to create the perfect environment for gaming, creating content, and experiencing a drive-in concert. These are what we call 'ExPs', or experience concepts that are capable of solving modern mobility pain points. Each features Harman technology that is available today, and we foresee vehicles offering this level of experience in the near future.
Looking forward, one of the biggest developments over the next few years will be further integration of vehicle systems and an even greater blending of in-vehicle and mobile lifestyles. Digital cockpit architectures have already become more powerful and capable of integrating Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) functionality, advanced audio features, and rich connections with cloud-based services. At Harman, we're focused on digital cockpit solutions that are fully integrated so our OEM partners can deliver the experiences that customers want, continue to reinforce brand differentiation, and perhaps most importantly, future-proof their solutions as mobility continues to evolve dramatically.
In what ways are intelligent cockpit systems' capabilities different to those of current electronic cockpit systems? Why are they expected to be the future of infotainment?
I think the biggest difference is right there in the name; intelligent. Current electronic cockpit systems operate in separate silos: the head-up display, the instrument cluster and the infotainment system all display relevant information but often do not operate in harmony. The intelligent digital cockpit combines everything through a single platform driver safety features, cloud services, connectivity services, audio process, and integrated in-vehicle infotainment. By operating through a single platform, hardware resources can be shared to increase efficiency, improve security and driver experience, whilst simultaneously understanding how to reduce weight, cost and upgradability.
What role will 5G play in autonomous car technology?
The adoption of 5G is an imperative step in the move towards autonomous driving, and Harman will launch the industry's first 5G system in 2021. By leveraging the high speeds and lower latencies of 5G, our OEM partners and other eco-system members can create vehicle-to-everything (V2X) advanced safety features that mitigate road conflicts, and use peer-to-peer signals to warn drivers and pedestrians of potential hazards. It is not just inside the vehicle, but outside too, with local councils and governments being able to improve nearby road infrastructure to help improve roadway efficiency, using V2X-enabled Roadside Units (RSU) to control traffic lights, utility poles and traffic metering systems.
We are seeing semiconductor companies working toward network access devices that will essentially turn autonomous vehicles into mobile data centres. Is this another spin-off benefit that you recognise from 5G?
There can be as many as 50 individual compute blocks in the car that communicate with each other over in-vehicle networks and gateways that manage security and policy.
Computers have been part of the modern automobile for over 20 years. In today's modern cars, there can be as many as 50 individual compute blocks in the car that communicate with each other over in-vehicle networks and gateways that manage security and policy. As in-car computing capabilities continue to expand to support new features and 5G networks provide secure communication with network and cloud-based services the car will have similar capabilities to a data centre with cyber-secure gateways, general purpose compute blocks to host the applications and services, and storage for algorithms and applications.
We are hearing a lot about how the accessibility of connected technologies like 5G, IoT, Augmented Reality, OTA and AI is increasing rapidly. What is Harman doing to make these digital experiences seamless?
Harman has been investing in these technologies for many years, and has already launched IoT, Augmented Reality, and OTA solutions in the market with several OEMs and as mentioned before will launch our 5G solution this year. Going forward, we will expand our portfolio to leverage AI to build even smarter solutions, including software that anticipates connectivity disruption and bandwidth demands miles in advance. It will prepare downloads in areas with good connectivity, or even in free or lower-price connectivity areas, to optimise performance and reduce the cost of data consumption. For energy efficiency, Harman's software will shut off transmission and reception during periods of no connectivity to support battery life, which is particularly beneficial in electric vehicles. Most importantly, this will all be happening behind the scenes. So, neither driver nor passengers will be aware of connectivity issues.
In Harman's opinion, what is foreseen for the next five years/decade? What challenges will the industry face to bring these aims to fruition?
The shift towards focusing on 'experiences' will be driving disruption and innovation throughout the next decade. We've spoken about how important it is to be consumer-centric. Today's digital cockpit solutions and future ones will be designed with this in mind. Systems will be smarter and more adaptable, will blend the physical with the digital, and will work seamlessly with applications and services that consumers use throughout their day.
No other industry player has the broad suite of technologies and capabilities that Harman is able to offer. Bringing all the elements together seamlessly in the digital cockpit is a major challenge, and Harman's expertise means we're able to do this and create something truly unique for our partners.
Read more from the original source:
- Atari: Results of the first half of 2020-2021 Paris Stock Exchange:ATA - GlobeNewswire - February 17th, 2021
- CME: The Benefits of More Automated FX Trade - finews.asia - February 17th, 2021
- RIOT GAMES, FREAKS 4U GAMING and SPORTFIVE partner up to produce and commercialize the 2021 VALORANT CHAMPIONS TOUR - European Gaming Industry News - February 17th, 2021
- A 'pop-up' airport for electric aircraft could transform the way we think about urban travel - CNBC - February 17th, 2021
- Neom's futuristic 'Line' in the sand is good news for Saudi Arabia's tech start-ups - Arab News - February 17th, 2021
- Biomass Utilization System Market Analysis 2021 to 2027 with Strategic Trends Growth, Revenue|KOBELCO ECO-SOLUTIONS, China Southern Power Grid,... - February 17th, 2021
- Why Investors Should Heed The African Tech Startups Devouring Consumer Finance - Forbes - February 17th, 2021
- The New Zealand Merino Company Launches Apparel Industry's First 100% Regenerative Wool Platform in Partnership With Global Brands Allbirds,... - February 17th, 2021
- New #femaleboss project makes a stand for Scottish women in business - HeraldScotland - February 17th, 2021
- Plant safaris- the mystery and magic of the plant kingdom - Rising Sun Overport - February 17th, 2021
- A digital catch-22: after the crisis, who's betting on digital transformation? - USAPP American Politics and Policy (blog) - February 17th, 2021
- How Hotels And OTAs Can Prepare For The Post-Pandemic Future | By Andrew Gogus Hospitality Net - Hospitality Net - February 17th, 2021
- La Liga side Athletic Bilbao hope to export their model globally including to India - The New Indian Express - February 17th, 2021
- Tackling Indonesias Poverty With Palm Oil - The ASEAN Post - February 17th, 2021
- Eos partners with US-based Kineticos to invest over 10M in early-stage Scottish life sciences startups - UKTN (UK Technology News - February 17th, 2021
- Wild Bicester on mission to boost wildlife in town - Oxford Mail - February 17th, 2021
- The deception of greenwashing in fast fashion - Down To Earth Magazine - February 17th, 2021
- Flying high: Naturalist charts transformation of Mar Lodge estate as wildlife haven reaches landmark in 200-year regeneration - The Sunday Post - February 17th, 2021
- Allbirds and Icebreaker back regenerative wool platform | Apparel Industry News | just-style - just-style.com - February 11th, 2021
- Let caterpillars nibble your leaves to create a healthier garden, advise the RHS - HouseBeautiful.com - February 11th, 2021
- Warning system, environment study may have prevented Uttarakhand tragedy - The Federal - February 11th, 2021
- 5G experimentation and security grows in govt, military sectors - Help Net Security - February 11th, 2021
- New Technology to Kill SARS Associated Human Coronavirus in the Air and on Surfaces - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Diversifying Nevada's Economy Might Take The Work Of Angels - KNPR - February 11th, 2021
- In the battle for the edge, 5G software is the Excalibur - Ericsson - February 11th, 2021
- Dow and Lucro to Launch PCR Plastics Solution in India - waste360 - February 11th, 2021
- Florida Family Finds Monster 16ft, 300lb Python On Their Property RM - TooFab - February 11th, 2021
- Document Security Systems, Inc., Coinstreet Partners and GSX Group Collaborate to Develop Digital Asset Exchange Business in the US - PRNewswire - February 11th, 2021
- Recent news in brief collected from around Mallorca - Euro Weekly News - February 11th, 2021
- COVID Has Reached Antarctica, and Scientists Are Extremely Concerned for Its Wildlife - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- U.S. Subway Platforms Have Highly Polluted Air - EcoWatch - February 11th, 2021
- Urban Air Mobility Gets a Foot on the Ground with Coventry's Urban Air Port - Inside Unmanned Systems - February 11th, 2021
- Euronet Worldwide, Inc., Uses Its REN Ecosystem to Drive Digital Growth Strategy and Modernization of Payments Systems for Cosmos Bank in India -... - December 17th, 2020
- Learning Ecosystem: Why You Need One, How to Build It - ATD - December 17th, 2020
- VHA Innovation Ecosystem Taps MDClone to Leverage Synthetic Data for Faster Healthcare to Veterans - - HIT Consultant - December 17th, 2020
- FreedomPay and Sightline Payments Partner to Create World's First Cashless Ecosystem for Casinos, Resorts and Gaming Operators - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- If the startup ecosystem can survive a pandemic, it can survive anything - Ruchira Shukla and Alok Goyal - YourStory - December 17th, 2020
- Leverage the Westcon-Comstor Services Bench partner ecosystem - ARNnet - December 17th, 2020
- Cybersecurity Stocktaking in the Connected and Automated Mobility Ecosystem - Lexology - December 17th, 2020
- MDClone Partners with VHA Innovation Ecosystem to Provide Better, Smarter, Faster Healthcare to U.S. Veterans - Business Wire - December 17th, 2020
- Open Mainframe Project Welcomes New Project Tessia, HCL Technologies and Red Hat to its Ecosystem - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Path of destruction: Road to Anjaneri hilltop could threaten fragile rocky outcrop ecosystem - Mongabay-India - December 17th, 2020
- Gotransverse Closes 2020 with Globalization, Business Intelligence, Ecosystem, and Personalization Features for Innovative Monetization Models -... - December 17th, 2020
- Accelerated digitalization, beefed-up edge among other key trends to watch across digital ecosystem in 2021 - Business Review - December 17th, 2020
- IBM outlines commitment to developing the Quantum ecosystem in India More than 1,400 students trained on Qis.. - ETCIO.com - December 17th, 2020
- CrossTower Added as Liquidity Source to the Blockfills ECN Ecosystem - GlobeNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- code Talks: a podcast series on driving innovation with an open health care ecosystem - cerner.com - December 17th, 2020
- Building a Cost-Effective, High-Performing BI Ecosystem on the Cloud - Datanami - December 17th, 2020
- GPX India adds NIXI to the GPX Interconnection Ecosystem - Express Computer - December 17th, 2020
- Ecologists have studied the role carrion plays in the ecosystem of the Bavarian Forest National Park - India Education Diary - December 17th, 2020
- ICON blockchain expands DeFi ecosystem with ETH Orbit Bridge integration - CryptoNinjas - December 17th, 2020
- There's an ecosystem beneath your feetand it needs protection, new report says - Science Magazine - December 5th, 2020
- Apple M1 is the boost the Windows ecosystem needed: Qualcomm - ZDNet - December 5th, 2020
- An overview of key players in the private network ecosystem - RCR Wireless News - December 5th, 2020
- Polkadot Joins Hands with Chainlink to Overcome Decentralized Nature of Its... - Coinspeaker - December 5th, 2020
- Programme launched to strengthen tech ecosystem in Western Cape - - Ventureburn - December 5th, 2020
- Update on Intel's Neuromorphic Ecosystem Growth and Progress - Business Wire - December 5th, 2020
- Students are drawn into the ecosystem through real impact and relevant goals - not with Brainport-lingo - Innovation Origins - December 5th, 2020
- The Greater Data Ecosystem: Driving Decision-Making | Data & Data Analytics - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - December 5th, 2020
- How KubeLinter fits in the CNCF Ecosystem - Security Boulevard - December 5th, 2020
- Report finds the CSS ecosystem is going through a renewal with new features - SDTimes.com - December 5th, 2020
- The infrastructure of Kick Ecosystem - hackernoon.com - September 25th, 2020
- Humans Destroyed Intact Ecosystem Land the Size of Mexico in Just 13 Years - EcoWatch - September 25th, 2020
- This is the size of undisturbed ecosystems lost in 13 years - World Economic Forum - September 25th, 2020
- maurices Partners with TCS to Build Greenfield IT Ecosystem for its Growth and Transformation - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- Helping the UN Guide Ecosystem Restoration Into the Mainstream - CSRwire.com - September 25th, 2020
- Don't eat the rainforests: Top brands complicit in Indonesia's ecosystem destruction, probe alleges - Down To Earth Magazine - September 25th, 2020
- Colombia: Cross Border Tech Innovation and Ecosystem building - PRNewswire - September 25th, 2020
- The DNS Ecosystem, Its Vulnerabilities, and Threat Mitigations - CircleID - September 25th, 2020
- Scaling Up The Start-up Ecosystem Recommendations Of Standing Committee On Finance - Finance and Banking - India - Mondaq News Alerts - September 25th, 2020
- VR AR Content Creation Ecosystem Market will Register a Significant CAGR During Period 2020-2026 | 18.5% CAGR| Know the Companies List Could... - September 25th, 2020
- Why the new farm Bills should excite the advertising ecosystem - Business Standard - September 25th, 2020
- The Launching Ceremony for XnMatrix Wrapped Up, the Next Generation of Cloud Computing Eco-System Sets Sail - AiThority - September 4th, 2020
- Why Harmless Harvest takes an ecosystem-based approach to business - New Hope Network - September 4th, 2020
- An 'Ecosystem' Has Propelled NYC Life Sciences Over The Past 5 Years - Bisnow - September 4th, 2020
- BorgWarner expands collaboration with startup ecosystem Plug and Play - Automotive World - September 4th, 2020
- 'Drilling Would Have Devastating Impacts on This Fragile Ecosystem' - FAIR - September 4th, 2020
- Jellypipe launches its online AM ecosystem in the UK and Ireland - Metal Additive Manufacturing magazine - September 4th, 2020
- A Burgeoning Robotic Ecosystem Is Reshaping the Business Landscape - IoT World Today - September 4th, 2020
- New approach needed to protect health of Californias rivers - CALmatters - September 4th, 2020