This article is part of Inc42s special year-end series 2019 In Review in which we will refresh your memory on the major developments in the Indian startup ecosystem and their impact on various stakeholders from entrepreneurs to investors. You can read more stories from this series here.
For last years words belong to last years language and next years words await another voice. And to make an end is to make a beginning TS Eliot
As the curtain falls on 2019, Inc42 is taking a look back at our coverage over the past 12 months to recall our achievements, milestones and growth so far. India has had an eventful year to say the least and we have already recapped some of these highlights in our 2019 in Review series. It gives us so much joy to share that Inc42 didnt just do what it does best but also took up new endeavors and aced them.
We have expanded this year. With some highly talented professionals joining our team, our coverage is now wider and deeper than ever.
This year we published more than 5,300 stories, which reached over 20 million people every month. Besides this, Inc42 organised 19 events bringing the ecosystem together at various times and with different agendas in particular, the BIGShift series took an expanded form with a six-city tour and Datalabs by Inc42 published over 19 reports and research articles on the ecosystem.
This year, we dug deeper to get more exclusive stories and original insights than ever before.
Exclusive: Quikr Lays Off Up To 2000 Employees In Aftermath Of Major ScamExclusive: Doodhwala Employees Also File FIR Against Founders Over Unpaid SalariesExclusive: Reliance Acquires Majority Stake In Deeptech Startup Tesseract
Exclusive: Behind Amazon Indias Food Delivery Platform Coming This DecemberExclusive: Vijay Shekhar Sharma Backs Up Admiration For Nurturing Green With Investment
Exclusive: Social Commerce Startup Wooplr Shuts Down As Merger Talks Fall Through
Exclusive: Government Says No Plan To Create 1 Lakh Digital Villages, Reveals RTI
Inc42 would also like to take this opportunity to give a shoutout to you. While we were busy garnering startup stories or brainstorming to hook you in with our events, our readers showered us with love and support.
We began the year with the Inc42 Startup Watchlist of the most promising startups in India. As was expected, many of these have gone on to clinch funding this year to validate our predictions.
As it is said old habits are hard to die, so Inc42 revived the much-loved Moneyball series in the middle of the year as VCs and investors opened up about the new India and their approach to investments.
Here are some of the best Moneyball stories from the year:
Moneyball: Lightspeeds Vaibhav Agrawal On Converting Startup Ideas Into Numbers
Moneyball: Aavishkaars Anurag Agrawal On Investing For Social Change
Moneyball: BV Naidu On Why StartupXseed Targets Low Investment Size And Prefers Faster Exits
Our signature What The Financial series went through a major revamp this year as well. Inc42 laid bare the financial performance of startups and analyzed what makes the company tick and where it is losing money. Heres our pick of the best:
[What The Financials] Heavy Discounts Helped Grofers Boost Revenue But Expenses Eat Up Growth
[What The Financials] Despite TikTok Success, ByteDance Earned Almost Nothing From India Business In FY19
[What The Financials] Olas Path To Profitability, IPO Blocked By Losses In Food, Vehicle Leasing[What The Financials] Dunzo Comes Undone With No Real Revenue And Towering Expenses
[What The Financials] PhonePe Continues To Burn Cash But Revenue Grows 4X
And while unicorns go through growth pains, soonicorns represent the next big hope for the Indian startup ecosystem. The Inc42 UpNext series captures the mood at soonicorns and their plotting to reach the unicorn club. Heres a selection:
Inc42 UpNext: Nazara Bets On Its Gaming Ecosystem To Get India To Pay To Play
Inc42 UpNext: Livspace Fuels Indias Appetite For Home, Interior Design With Omnichannel Play
Inc42 UpNext: UrbanClap On Designing AI Systems To Expand And Scale Up Sustainably
Inc42 UpNext: Can Zerodhas Million-Strong Investor Base Hold Its Digital Investment Fort?
Inc42 UpNext: How Capital Float Is Fighting SME Lending Battles On The Unicorn Path
It was a great year for Datalabs by Inc42 as the team of analysts, data engineers and researchers dug out the most insightful trends of the ecosystem across sectors and for various quarters. The Datalabs team also plays the role of the data enabler for the Inc42 editorial stories and many of our biggest stories this year would not have been possible without this invaluable support.
In addition, Datalabs gave us in-depth articles about the scope of Indian drone and aerospace startups in the well-received feature To Infinity And Beyond: Indias Aerospace Startups Are Starting To Blow Their Thrusters. It turned its attention to the foodtech industry amid protests from restaurants. Read The Dark Side Of Discounts: Lessons From Zomato Gold For Indias Food Startups to know more about the Datalabs insights.
Here are some interesting reads from the Datalabs vault this year:
Why Its Time To Take Notice Of Indias Evolving Food Service Market
Why Data Is Not Oil: Heres How Indias Data Localisation Norms Will Hurt The Economy
Japanese Investors In India Are Placing Safe Bets As They Chase The Billion-Dollar Dream
Are Investments In Indian Startups Slowing Down? Heres The Base Year Fallacy
Union Budget 2019: Sitharamans Fresh Ideas To Push Indias Towards A Digital Economy
See all stories from Datalabs by Inc42 here.
Finally, we produced stories that not only changed the narrative of the industry but also enabled players to raise important questions, debate over policy decisions, analyse market trends and perceive the changes as they happen.
Here are the top news stories from this year:
Exclusive: Amit Bhardwaj And The GainBitcoin Investor Saga Lands On President Kovinds Desk
The main accused in the massive GainBitcoin scam case, Amit Bhardwaj, in September, filed a separate application in the Supreme Court of India, seeking to deposit INR 2 Cr in lieu of Supreme Courts order of depositing INR 10 Cr within six month period, which was passed on April 3, 2019.
Sex Sells, So Why Not Sexual Wellness? Indias Startups On Emerging From The Shadows
Flipkart Video Originals Are Here: Has Flipkart Got The Timing Right?
Production houses such as Studio Next, Frames and Sikhya Productions will be bringing original content across languages and genres to Flipkart Video Originals, said Flipkart said in a press statement.
White Revolution 2.0: Dairy Tech Startups Rise On Indias Cow-Friendly Policies
According to the Food and Agriculture Organisation, India produces 160 Mn tonnes of milk in over 75 Mn dairy farms per year for a market that is worth around $30 Bn. The country is the second-largest milk producer after the US.
Searching For Superman
Indians, nowadays, are overtly dependent on apps, which take precious space on smartphones. However, Tapzo (one of Indias earlier super apps) founder Ankur Singla, in a blog post in 2017, said that almost all apps (except for the top 5-8 apps) see 60-80% uninstall rate within 90 days of users installing the app.
All That Glitters Is Not Gold: The Hard To Digest Economics Of Zomato, Swiggy & Co
The Economics Of Foodtech Part 2: The Math Behind Cloud Kitchens In India
One of Delhis first cloud kitchen restaurateurs and owner of 11 online kitchens across Delhi and Mumbai, Madhav Kasturia, told Inc41, We started four years ago with a high street restaurant but soon realised that paying INR 45K on just rent for the orders we were raking in was too high, so in a year we pivoted.
Indian Govt Requests Maximum Social Media Content Takedowns In The World
The which government censors online data the most report states that social media platforms and global technology companies have received as many as 77,620 takedown content requests from India in a span of nine years.
I Do: How Indian Couples Today Are Tying The Knot With Wedding Tech Startups
Exclusive: 100X.VC Funds Sanjay Mehta On Creating A Finishing School For Startup Founders
Think of us as a finishing school for founders who have no idea how to raise money. Our aim for this class is to get everyone 100% placement among VCs, said serial investor Sanjay Mehta.
Last but not least, INC42 expanded its repertoire of events this year! Inc42s events are not just for the glamour and glitz but for networking and connecting. Any recap of 2019 will remain incomplete if we do not mention the VC Dinner and BIGShift series.
VC Dinner, which was supported by HSBC, commenced on November 28, 2019, in Bengaluru. The event brought together the decision-makers of the investment world for interesting collaborations, global connections, cross learnings, and umpteen interesting stories.
The latest edition of BIGShift an initiative to enable, engage and empower startups in Indias Tier 2 cities saw more than 350 attendees and more than 30 pitches. This years BIGShift events were also attended by more than 300 startups in six cities Kochi, Nagpur, Ahmedabad, Vizag, Chandigarh and Indore.
Here are some stories of startups discovered at the BIGShift events.
Discovered at Inc42 BIGShift: Vizag Edtech Startup Botclub Is Helping Kids Discover The Joy Of Science
Discovered At Inc42 BIGShift: Raipurs Minocular Takes The SaaS Route To Boost Mining Efficiency, Safety
Discovered At Inc42 BIGShift: Indores ClassMonitor Takes Students Back To Tradition With Hybrid Digital Learning
Other events by Inc42 that grabbed limelight this year include Founders Meetup 10 By Inc42; The Dialogue By Inc42 And Ikigai Law; Pulse42, Mumbai: The Pulse Of Tech and Huddle Kerala.
Like every year, Inc42 is wrapping up this year with the year-ender series 2019 in Review. For the year 2020, we are lining up our signature Startup Watchlist, which is coming next month, along with the usual dose of exclusive scoops, insights and data about the Indian startup ecosystem!
Have a great new year and all the best for 2020 and beyond from Team Inc42!
- CDFW Awards $37 Million for Ecosystem and Watershed Restoration, Protection and Scientific Study Projects - CDFW News - March 26th, 2020
- Here's how healthcare can build effective ecosystem for innovation, entrepreneurship - India Today - March 26th, 2020
- Neo Foundation unlocks 1.66 million NEO to fund development of ecosystem - NEO News Today - March 26th, 2020
- Sony expands its Smart Agriculture Solution ecosystem - Successful Farming - March 26th, 2020
- Madrid: A city turning eco-fictions into eco-futures through systems innovation - Daily Planet` - March 26th, 2020
- Pablo Escobar's Cocaine Hippos Are Filling Ecosystem Roles in Colombia That Have Been Vacant for Thousands of - Gizmodo - March 26th, 2020
- On The Bench Moves Swiftly to Support the HubSpot Business Ecosystem Putting its Commercial Activity on Hold in the Wake of Coronavirus Disruption -... - March 26th, 2020
- Certain Individual Fish Contribute Far More to Ecosystem Health than Others, Research Shows - Earth Island Journal - March 26th, 2020
- Investing in the Airport Ecosystem: Prospects and Risks - JD Supra - March 26th, 2020
- Breaking Down The Disinformation Ecosystem Around Coronavirus - Newsy - March 26th, 2020
- Duff & Phelps analyses impact of Covid-19 on the value of IPL ecosystem - Best Media Info - March 26th, 2020
- Jack Liu on how Bitcoin SV is changing the payments ecosystem - CoinGeek - March 26th, 2020
- Deepwater Horizon and the Rise of the Omics - Eos - March 26th, 2020
- Tracking app to thermal camera, Indian startup ecosystem is coming together to fight Covid 19 - Economic Times - March 26th, 2020
- Initiative to foster growth of Bangladeshs impact ecosystem launched - The Financial Express BD - March 21st, 2020
- HTC Conducts Its First Virtual "VIVE Ecosystem Conference" (VEC) fully in VR Allowing Global Attendees to Join Virtual Sessions - PRNewswire - March 21st, 2020
- Heres A Look Inside HTCs In-VR Vive Conference, Running This Week - UploadVR - March 21st, 2020
- Navigating the sustainability ecosystem - Recycling Today - March 21st, 2020
- [Startup Bharat] CrAdLE is mentoring entrepreneurs to grow the ecosystem in Gujarat - YourStory - March 21st, 2020
- UTEP partners with City Accelerator to provide insights on El Paso Minority Business Ecosystem - El Paso Herald-Post - March 21st, 2020
- Singapore Emerges as the "Food Tech Ecosystem" of Asia - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - March 21st, 2020
- IPL cancellation may lead to ecosystem value reducing by $700 mn to $1 bn: Duff & Phelps - TelevisionPost - March 21st, 2020
- HTC Just Hosted Is Vive Ecosystem Conference In Virtual Reality - Ubergizmo - March 21st, 2020
- Vietnams telco becomes latest member of i3forum dedicated to transforming the carrier ecosystem - Telemedia Online - March 21st, 2020
- W Energy Software's New Partner Ecosystem Accelerates Market Expansion and the Move from Legacy Solutions to the Cloud - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- Will the Ecosystem Completely Change with Ethereum 2.0? - Crypto Daily - March 16th, 2020
- Pact inked to boost drone ecosystem - The Hindu - March 16th, 2020
- The Irish Banking Ecosystem, Interconnection and the Speed of Change - Finextra - March 16th, 2020
- The Impact of Automated Vehicles on the Transportation Ecosystem - MarketScale - March 16th, 2020
- Most Definitive & Accurate Study on The V2X (Vehicle-to-Everything) Communications Ecosystem: 2019 2030 Opportunities, Challenges, Strategies... - March 16th, 2020
- Trends driving the Thiamazole market in the digital ecosystem - 3rd Watch News - March 16th, 2020
- The road to the strategy on the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration - UN Environment - March 4th, 2020
- Northern Ireland litter's threat to ecosystem revealed - Newry Times - March 4th, 2020
- The particularities of the African ecommerce ecosystem - The Paypers - March 4th, 2020
- The death of the Democratic Party ecosystem - Washington Examiner - March 4th, 2020
- Individual behavior drives ecosystem function and the impacts of harvest - Science Advances - March 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 threatens to test information ecosystem as misinformation goes viral - Macau Business - March 4th, 2020
- The function of fire in the ecosystem - The Community News - March 4th, 2020
- Global Asset Tracking Market 2020-2025: Insights Into Technologies, Solutions, and the Ecosystem Including Major Players - GlobeNewswire - March 4th, 2020
- Johnson fast-tracks bid to solve Australia's player pathway crisis - SBS - The World Game - March 4th, 2020
- New Research from Farnell Reveals Strong Adoption of Artificial Intelligence within the Internet of Things Ecosystem - IoT Business News - March 4th, 2020
- Switzerland based AMNIS Partners with Ripple to Create an Ecosystem First - TWJ News - March 4th, 2020
- Help shape the strategy for the UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration - Landscape News - March 4th, 2020
- Binghamton University research highlights ecosystem problems, can it be managed? - WBNG-TV - March 4th, 2020
- Fishing targets the 'super-urinators' that ecosystems need - Futurity: Research News - March 4th, 2020
- Houston needs to overcome its lack of density to continue to develop as an innovation ecosystem, says expert - InnovationMap - March 4th, 2020
- Pulse42: Mumbai's Tech Ecosystem's Break From The Hustle To Unwind - Inc42 Media - March 4th, 2020
- Alt Code Bengaluru is bringing together the healthcare ecosystem to solve India's biggest challenge - healthca - YourStory - March 4th, 2020
- Senet and T-Systems Partner to Deliver Ready-to-Use IoT Solution Bundles - IoT Business News - March 4th, 2020
- Herring River project will revive long-afflicted estuary ecosystem - Cape Cod Times - February 18th, 2020
- Strategic Analysis of Electric Vehicle Ecosystem in the United Kingdom, 2018-2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - February 18th, 2020
- Governor's grizzly council makes tracks to Libby City Hall this month - The Western News - February 18th, 2020
- Explained: Mobile App Architecture - The Basis of App Ecosystem - Appinventiv - February 18th, 2020
- Balance Your Own Ecosystem in the Great Board Game Ecosystem - Paste Magazine - February 18th, 2020
- What are Bhutan's sacred forests worth? - Forests News, Center for International Forestry Research - February 18th, 2020
- Ecosystem Services Assessment of the Prins Hendrik Zanddijk - Dredging Today - February 18th, 2020
- ConsenSys Grants funds third cohort of projects to benefit the Ethereum ecosystem - CryptoNinjas - February 18th, 2020
- OIF Members to Showcase Innovation and Interoperability Solutions for the Industrys Most Critical Challenges at OFC 2020 - Yahoo Finance - February 18th, 2020
- JPMorgan Dipping its Toes into the Ethereum Ecosystem Could Be Bullish for ETH - newsBTC - February 18th, 2020
- Regenerative farming: how farmers can make the transition - The Poultry Site - February 18th, 2020
- Announced the Addition of New Statistical Data Titled as Embedded Computing Ecosystem Market 2020 by Growth, Demand & Opportunities & Forecast... - February 18th, 2020
- Here's how a visiting venture capitalist explores Houston's startup ecosystem for the first time - InnovationMap - February 18th, 2020
- On Apple's revenue warningJim Cramer and others weigh in - CNBC - February 18th, 2020
- Floating Farms May Help Reinvent the World's Food Ecosystems - WIRED - February 18th, 2020
- Italian carmaker Maserati to invest USD 1.29 billion to build an electric ecosystem - The New Indian Express - February 18th, 2020
- BitCherry To Build a Trusted Distributed Business Ecosystem - Coinspeaker - February 6th, 2020
- Building a Worker Co-op Ecosystem: Lessons from the Big Apple - Nonprofit Quarterly - February 6th, 2020
- Letters: Healthcare industry needs its own digital ecosystem - ModernHealthcare.com - February 6th, 2020
- The new financial ecosystem of big banks and big tech - ValueWalk - February 6th, 2020
- To protect ecosystem, improve balance on critical regulatory panel - theday.com - February 6th, 2020
- How to fall in love with the Apple ecosystem all over again -- spend more money and buy new stuff - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Artificial intelligence requires trusted data, and a healthy DataOps ecosystem - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Preserve the Sacred Lands of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - CounterPunch - February 6th, 2020
- Organizations only protect 60% of their business ecosystem, Accenture finds - CIO Dive - February 6th, 2020
- IBM: building a digital ecosystem to support the mine of the future - Mining Global - Mining News, Magazine and Website - February 6th, 2020
- Structo Partners with Pro3dure to Extend applications in the Velox ecosystem - Manufactur3D - February 6th, 2020
- Epic and about 60 hospital chains come out against rules that would make it easier to share medical info - CNBC - February 6th, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] Indian startup ecosystem raring to break new ground in the new year - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- [2020 Outlook] What investors expect for the Indian startup ecosystem in the year ahead - YourStory - January 2nd, 2020
- Chuck Todd Finds All the Disinformation In 'Ecosystem Problem' on the Right - NewsBusters - January 2nd, 2020