Based on the 2002 novel Altered Carbon, the self-proclaimed neo-noir cyberpunk series is expanding into a tabletop roleplaying game. The Netflix show just launched its second season. Combining a healthy mix of Blade Runner, Total Recall, and Transhumanismthe setting rocks as an RPG. Apparently, the Kickstarter did too, raising over 1000% of their funding goal and hitting over 3,900 backers by the end of its run. Hunters Entertainment (Outbreak: Undead) headed up the design with an amazing team of people, so its no surprise that this Kickstarter slew expectations.
The Kickstarter page contains the vital information any prospective player could need. We still wanted to take a moment to highlight some things that are unique to a world in which you cant die. Imagine the prospects for a moment. Villains can be killed only to return later, potentially wearing the face of the partys friends. A full TPK can happen, and the adventure continues with the consequences of that folly. Or bar fights suddenly become far more bone-breaking. Not only does this concept present interesting ideas for storytelling but Altered Carbon RPG is also flipping our dice on us.
Using the Hazard system, the game encourages you to roll natural 1s. Which is frankly, glorious blasphemy. I think this gameplay difference is important to differentiate the setting and game for long term roleplaying game players. If youve been rolling D20s for a while, changing the dice mechanics on your table does work as a tangible reminder of the new world.
For as long as Ive been a storyteller; Ive often been running Cyberpunk, Transhumanism, or modern settings as long-term campaigns. I love high-tension, cheeky, dystopian conspiracy games so naturally Altered Carbon stole my interest. But every group needs one person to take up the mantle of Gamemaster. Lets take a look at how two major aspects of storytelling in a Transhuman or Cyberpunk setting in order to inspire other storytellers!
In this transhumanist world, the human mind is Digital Human Freight. Stored in a small, diamond-hard device at the base of the skull, everyone calls a cortical stack it. Some people have their brains sliced and scanned in layer-by-layer while others take a more digital approach. The end result is the same: you can re-sleeve your entire consciousness into a new body. With remote digital back-ups, needle casting your mind to other planets, or having a variety of custom bodies on handyou can become an immortal god. The ability to change bodies or sculpt your frame like an automobile is a dream for many.
Permanent death is possible for anyone whose stack is destroyed, but namely, you focus on an uplifting style of storytelling. Re: The characters backstories. Create elaborate backstories with wonderfully fleshed-out characters with full narratives by spending time with your players. The concept of a session zero is infinitely more important in settings like AC. Once created, weave those delicious backstories together into one yarn-ball of a plot. Since characters can be hundreds of years old, its okay to hop a few decades. Long-term gameplay in a transhumanist setting isnt going to be about TPKs, rather, about the parties choices around that ball of yarn. Some threads will get tugged, others will get knotted, and at least one will be hacked with a chainsaw. Meanwhile, villains at the beginning of the game can become allies later on. Only to swap sides again later. Embrace this fluidity as a storyteller.
Since the characters and NPCs will remain under the campaign spotlight for a long time, time invested into them is well spent. This also opens several new tactical options for both sides of that storyteller screen. For example, if the party knows they will resleeve they might consider one-way-ticket missions with no extraction. Nothing says a salty faction cant strike at the partys prized bar in the same way.
Cyberpunk worlds are both storytelling gold and a daunting task of finding where to start. Altered Carbon gives us a major campaign focal point called Bay City. Focused into three, easy to identify, and easy to dabble in factions: The Ground, the Twilight, and the Aerium. Poor, middle, and methuselah godlike rich respectively. Narrowing down a multi-planet cyberpunk setting to former San Francisco is exactly what gamemasters need to focus on a campaign. I couldnt be happier with the QuickStart guide for doing exactly that, and I really want to give a special shout out to the designers for making that call.
Well done chaps.
To prevent getting lost, shine a spotlight on local beats. Basically, in a setting with billions of people teeming on top of each other location bloat can be a major design problem. Its easy to fall into the pit of infinite information, and your players suffer from the noise. Cities are nearly infinite in story, filled with vast sprawling segments, and can make the PCs feel tiny. Unlike fantasy campaigns, the pulse of an urban fantasy or cyberpunk campaign beats inherently different. Less territory control or nation wars, and more investigation and fights containedjust out of sight.
Keeping everything setting wise sorted into factions or companies creates instant bonding with players. The Meths and the Grounders are easy factions to grasp onto and weave into a story. For added flair, toss in some company products and branding on your player characters weapons and youve seeded your immersion. Instead of having named NPCs, simply use faction representatives. If a pair or duo of them keeps recurring, feel free to start fleshing them out a little more. By keeping motives and goals orientated around the faction or company, you can brand it, and use that branding in the world. Plus your party will naturally start to separate the employees, from the company. Pelican Corp is an evil weapons manufacturer, but Debbie in shipping is a heckin saint.
Have you tried the Altered Carbon RPG yet? Try the Quickstart Guide here and let us know your adventure in the comments!
Featured Image: Altered Carbon The Role-Playing Game
Image Credits: Altered Carbon
Rick Heinz is a storyteller with a focus on D&D For Kids, and an overdose of LARPs, and the author of The Seventh Age: Dawn. You can follow RPG or urban fantasy related thingies on Twitter or reach out for writing at [emailprotected]
Read the original here:
- The Chronicles of Covid, or why we must kill the Great Reset Witch - The Conservative Woman - February 10th, 2021
- A Closer Look at the AI Hype Machine: Who Really Benefits? - Common Dreams - February 4th, 2021
- Into The Darkness Is A Promising VR Adventure With Boneworks-Like Physics - UploadVR - February 4th, 2021
- Cyberpunk And GTA 2-Inspired "Glitchpunk" Enters Early Access This Year - TheGamer - February 4th, 2021
- 'Glitchpunk' will see players take to the neon streets from a top-down view - NME - February 4th, 2021
- Is Biohacking The Future Of Skincare? - British Vogue - December 28th, 2020
- What is Transhumanism? - December 5th, 2020
- transhumanism | Definition, Origins, Characteristics ... - December 5th, 2020
- Fact check: UK deaths linked to COVID-19 did not stop in June - Reuters - December 5th, 2020
- Dublin Theatre Festival reviews: The Great Hunger, and To Be A Machine - Irish Examiner - October 8th, 2020
- To be a Machine review: Experimental format well-suited to plays core theme - The Irish Times - October 8th, 2020
- The Honorable Dr. Dale Layman, Founder of Robowatch, LLC, is Recognized as the 2020 Humanitarian of the Year by Top 100 Registry, Inc. - IT News... - September 4th, 2020
- Transhumanism: The cyborgs and biohackers redefining ... - August 10th, 2020
- Silicon Valley, the start-up incarnation 4/5. Palmer Luckey, the geek who needed to make sure the army supremacy of the West - Pledge Times - August 5th, 2020
- Hi John. Will artificial intelligence replace humanity by 2084? - Eternity News - July 23rd, 2020
- The benefits and risks of AI and post-human life - Independent Australia - April 26th, 2020
- Whats the best way to prepare for the apocalypse? Dont ask these guys - Telegraph.co.uk - April 23rd, 2020
- Cosmodeism: Prologue to a Theology of Transhumanism - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - April 3rd, 2020
- Meet Ai-Da, the worlds first AI artist, who is almost human - Dazed - April 3rd, 2020
- What is transhumanism, or, what does it mean to be human ... - March 31st, 2020
- What is transhumanism? | CARM.org - March 31st, 2020
- Transhumanism: Pros and Cons - iGyaan - March 31st, 2020
- Zoltan Istvan: The Transhumanist Candidate - Roads and Kingdoms - March 17th, 2020
- Being alive: Institut Franais presents 'The Night of Ideas' - Daily Sabah - January 30th, 2020
- The 2010s were the decade of trans - The Spectator USA - December 21st, 2019
- Seattle faith groups reckon with AI and what it means to be truly human - Seattle Times - November 12th, 2019
- Transhumanism - Britannica.com - June 3rd, 2019
- Transhumanism | Conspiracy School - June 3rd, 2019
- Transhumanism Is TemptingUntil You Remember Inspector Gadget ... - June 3rd, 2019
- Transhumanism - RationalWiki - June 3rd, 2019
- What is Transhumanism? - GenSix Productions - June 3rd, 2019
- Elevating the Human Condition - Humanity+ What does it mean ... - June 3rd, 2019
- transhumanism | Definition, Origins, Characteristics, & Facts ... - February 8th, 2019
- Transhumanism | Future | FANDOM powered by Wikia - February 8th, 2019
- Transhumanism - reddit - December 28th, 2018
- Transhumanism: The History of a Dangerous Idea: David ... - November 8th, 2018
- Transhumanism - H+Pedia - hpluspedia.org - July 16th, 2018
- Transhumanism - Mercurial Essays - July 16th, 2018
- TRANSHUMANISM Feral House - July 16th, 2018
- Transhumanism: The Anti-Human Singularity Agenda - July 16th, 2018
- Transhumanism by Dorian Mays on Prezi - July 16th, 2018
- What is Mormon Transhumanism? And is it Mormon? | Interpreter ... - July 16th, 2018
- Transhumanism Has Opened the Gates of Hell-Steve Quayle and ... - July 16th, 2018
- Transhumanism: Genetic Engineering of Man - the New ... - July 6th, 2018
- Transhumanism | social and philosophical movement ... - May 21st, 2018
- Transhumanism Is Despair Its an Ersatz Version of ... - May 21st, 2018
- Transhumanism - Catholicism.org - May 12th, 2018
- Transhumanism Foreign Policy - May 8th, 2018
- Hidden In Plain Sight - 4 Movies That Expose The Globalist ... - March 23rd, 2018
- Bloodborne, Transhumanism and Cosmic Cyberpunk - Kotaku UK (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Transhumanism Is Not Libertarian, It's an Abomination - The American Conservative - August 22nd, 2017
- TRICOAST ENTERTAINMENT RELEASES FIRST ... - Digital Journal - Digital Journal - August 9th, 2017
- Pop music moves a step closer to eternal life - The Columbian - August 5th, 2017
- How the death of EDM brought pop music one step closer to eternal life - Washington Post - August 4th, 2017
- The MetroSpiritual: Creating super-humans through Transhumanism is becoming a reality - New York Daily News - July 29th, 2017
- Luton hate crime probe over St Thomas's church graffiti - BBC News - July 26th, 2017
- Fringe movements key to changing the world - Winnipeg Free Press - July 22nd, 2017
- Putting Infants Down Like Dogs - First Things - July 22nd, 2017
- Review: Poem 88's Correspondences series brings us back to balance - ArtsATL - July 7th, 2017
- Little Atoms at Wilderness - Little Atoms - June 29th, 2017
- Futuristic Thriller State of Mind Gets 15 Minutes of New Gameplay Footage - DualShockers - June 21st, 2017
- Peter Thiel is Funding the Comeback of the Woolly Mammoth - Inverse - June 21st, 2017
- The body electric - Arkansas Times - June 8th, 2017
- 4 life-changing emerging technologies to get excited about - Born2Invest - June 7th, 2017
- Transhumanism Is Just Fancy Sex-Shaming And Self-Loathing - The Federalist - April 8th, 2017
- Transhumanism: The World's Most Dangerous Idea? - March 11th, 2017
- The Reality Principle - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - March 11th, 2017
- Transhumanism Conference at Samford University - March 3rd, 2017
- Touring transhumanism 'To Be a Machine' - Maine Edge - March 2nd, 2017
- 'To Be A Machine' Digs Into The Meaning Of Humanity - WPSU - March 1st, 2017
- Buddhism and Transhumanism - Lankaweb - February 23rd, 2017
- Zoltan Istvan on transhumanism, politics and why the human body has to go - New Atlas - February 22nd, 2017
- Sociologist: 'Capitalism 2.0' about to slay liberalism's sacred cow - WND.com - February 8th, 2017
- Trexit?: Transnationalism and Transhumanism and why They ... - January 13th, 2017
- Transhumanism | Bioethics.com - January 3rd, 2017
- Transhumanism in fiction - Wikipedia - December 23rd, 2016
- WHAT IS TRANSHUMANISM? - Nick Bostrom - December 10th, 2016
- Transhumanism | Foreign Policy - December 10th, 2016
- Hidden In Plain Sight 4 Movies That Expose The Globalist ... - December 8th, 2016