If your major depression has proven resistant to other treatment, TMS may be an option. Heres how its used in the treatment of depression and other mood disorders. What is transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS)?
Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) is a noninvasive treatment that directs recurring magnetic energy pulses at the specific regions of the brain that are involved in mood control. These magnetic pulses pass painlessly through the skull and stimulate brain cells which can improve communication between different parts of the brain. When these TMS pulses are delivered at regular intervals it is known as repetitive TMS (or rTMS). Exactly how TMS works is unclear, but the stimulation seems to have a lasting effect on how the brain functions, which can ease depression symptoms and boost your mood.
Magnetic pulses going into your brain might sound scary or even conjure up images of shock therapy portrayed in movies such as One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. However, the pulses used in TMS therapy are actually the same type and strength as the magnetic pulses used in MRI machines and are considered very safe. And unlike electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), TMS doesnt require any kind of sedation or post-therapy downtime, and comes without any memory or cognition side effects. In fact, for most people TMS has fewer side effects than antidepressant medications.
Thus far in the United States, transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy has only been approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder. While depression is a treatable condition, TMS is typically used when standard treatments such as therapy, medication, and self-help techniques have proved ineffectiveor, in the case of medication, the side effects are too severe. In many European countries, however, TMS is approved for a multitude of other common conditions including:
TMS has even shown promise in off-label treatment of conditions such as tinnitus, fibromyalgia, Tourette syndrome, autism spectrum disorder, and multiple sclerosis.
Depression can take a heavy toll, changing how you think, feel, and function in your daily life. While many people are able to gain relief through self-help, therapy, medication, or a combination of these treatments, for others the sense of hopelessness never lets up. If youre suffering from major depression thats proven resistant to other treatment, then transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) therapy may be an option. Just as antidepressant medication aims to stimulate your brain chemically, TMS does the same using magnetic fields.
A variety of TMS systems are available, including:
Surface transcranial magnetic stimulation (surface TMS) devices use a figure-of-8 magnetic coil which can penetrate 0.6 inches under the skull to reach specific brain regions.
Deep transcranial magnetic stimulation (dTMS) devices use a larger H-coil which allows the magnetic energy to penetrate deeper into the brain, up to 1.6 inches below the skull.
Rapid TBS (theta burst) therapy devices are considered just as safe and effective for the treatment of major depressive disorder as standard TMS, but these devices require sessions of just 3-6 minutes rather than the 20-40 minutes required by most TMS devices.
There are also simple brain stimulation devices that have been cleared by the FDA in the U.S. for use at home. However, these are not strictly TMS devices. Rather, theyre classed as Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation (CES) units which useelectric currents instead of magnetic pulses to stimulate the brain.The true effectiveness of these devices seems to be up for debate. As with any medical treatment for depression, its important to discuss the best options with your doctor.
Most published trials have yielded results supporting the use of TMS to improve cases of treatment-resistant depression.For people with major depression that hasnt benefited from medication, just over half experience improvements in their symptoms with TMS, while about one in three gain total remission from their symptoms.
That doesnt mean that TMS is a cure for depression and that your depression symptoms wont return, though. In fact, the positive results from transcranial magnetic stimulation tend to last for an average of about a year after treatment. However, its important to remember that depression is not just the result of a chemical imbalance but is caused by a combination of biological, psychological, and social factors. In other words, your lifestyle choices, relationships, and coping skills likely contribute to your depression just as much as your genetics. Therefore, you can use the improvements in your energy and drive following TMS therapy to begin talk therapy or make the lifestyle changessuch as improving your diet, exercising, and building your support networkthat can help preserve your depression recovery in the long term. See Coping with Depression.
TMS is a relatively short, noninvasive, outpatient treatment. That means that it doesnt involve surgery, theres no anesthesia or sedation required, and no down time needed afterwards. You stay awake and alert throughout the treatment. TMS therapy is also non-systemic, which means that it has no effect on other areas of your body as antidepressants can.
A typical TMS treatment course includes daily sessions (5 times per week) for 4 to 6 weeksthough some people find it helpful to occasionally return for maintenance treatments following the initial treatment course. A TMS session generally lasts 20 to 40 minutes, although some new devices require sessions as short as 3 minutes.
During your TMS treatment, the clinician will seat you in a comfortable chair, provide you with earplugs, and then place a magnetic coil on your head, near the area of the brain thought to be involved in mood regulation. In the case of depression, this area is the prefrontal cortex beneath your forehead.
Short electromagnetic pulses are then administered through the coil. The magnetic pulses easily pass through your skull, and cause small electrical currents that stimulate nerve cells.
After TMS treatment is complete, youre able to go straight back into your day, drive back to work or home, and continue on as normal.
Unlike the oldest brain stimulation therapy, electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), TMS has no effect on memory or mental clarity. It also avoids the negative side effects of sedation required for ECT. While TMS isnt totally free of side effects, the most commonly occurring are mild, usually headaches and scalp discomfort. While about half of TMS patients report headaches, they typically respond well to over-the-counter pain medication and tend to diminish over the course of treatment.
About a third of patients report painful scalp sensations or facial twitching during the magnetic pulses, which also tend to diminish over the course of the treatment. Repositioning the coil and adjusting the stimulation settings can also help to reduce these mild side effects.
The most serious risk of TMS is the possibility of producing a seizurebut the risk is very small at around .001%. While there have been only a few documented cases of seizures occurring due to TMS treatment, if you have a high risk of seizureif you have epilepsy or a history of head injury, for examplethen youre unlikely to be a candidate for TMS.
TMS has been approved in the U.S. for just over 10 years and so far, there are no reported lasting negative effects associated with the treatment.
However, it is important to remember that this treatment is relatively young at 10+ years old, so there simply has not been enough time to study the long-term effects. With time and more research, understanding on the long-term effects will improve.
In addition to those with epilepsy or a family history of seizures, TMS is not suitable for several other types of patient. Since TMS uses magnetic energy, people who have metal in their head or neck are not able to receive TMS, with the exception of braces or dental fillings.
Examples of metal objects that would prevent TMS treatment include:
Other factors that may preclude you from receiving TMS therapy include:
Authors: Jennifer Shubin, Robert Segal, M.A., Melinda Smith, M.A., and Lawrence Robinson. Last updated: October 2019.
See the article here:
- TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Share Analysis and Research - News by aeresearch - September 8th, 2020
- The TMS Round-Up: Our Favorite Cinematic Vacation Spots - The Mary Sue - September 8th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Transportation and Logistics Software Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2028 with Top Players Like TMW,... - September 8th, 2020
- The Breaking, Known News TMS Therapy for Depression Works - PsychCentral.com - September 4th, 2020
- Column: CNV-X Capstone Project the effects of Alzheimer's and how TMS can help - Los Angeles Times - September 4th, 2020
- Logistics Matters podcast: Philip Evers of the University of Maryland on what's ahead for the US Postal Service | S1 E21 | 2020-08-28 - DC Velocity - September 4th, 2020
- Fast Three: Would You WFH Permanently?, Treating Depression in Pottstown, and Racing Ducks for Cash - The Sanatoga Post - September 4th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Judy Reyes Talked With Us About the Importance of All Together Now - The Mary Sue - September 4th, 2020
- Technology promotes transparency in transportation, shipping | 2020-08-27 - DC Velocity - September 2nd, 2020
- TAIJI Medical Supplies Inc., a US PPE Manufacturer, Announces Expansion of Manufacturing Capacity Amid Expected Surge of COVID-19 and Influenza Cases... - September 2nd, 2020
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy Market 2020-2026 | EDAP TMS, SonaCare Medical, Theraclion, ILJIN Holdings, FUS Instruments - NJ MMA... - September 2nd, 2020
- C.H. Robinson heralds integration of 19 TMS and ERP providers into its Navisphere offering - Logistics Management - September 1st, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Prostate Cancer Devices Market to Record Significant Revenue Growth During the Forecast Period 20202025 | Galil Medical,... - September 1st, 2020
- Innovative Report on High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Market 2020 Major Players: Chongqing Haifu Medical Technology, Philips Healthcare, Insightec,... - September 1st, 2020
- Which Pokmon To Use Elite Charged TMs On In Pokmon GO - Bleeding Cool News - August 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Second Quarter Financial Results With Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic - Business Wire - August 11th, 2020
- FLORIDA TMS CLINIC Offers The Best TMS Therapy In The Tampa Bay Area - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 11th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 sets sights on simplifying TMS integration - FreightWaves - August 11th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc's Half-Yearly Report H1 2020 - Yahoo Finance - August 11th, 2020
- Scientists Have Found A Way To Erase Your Worst Fears: What If It Could Amp Up Career Success? - Forbes - August 11th, 2020
- Road construction work underway in Weyburn region - Weyburn Review - August 11th, 2020
- TruckingOffice Integrates TMS with ELD for Seamless Dispatcher Trucker Workflow - PR Web - August 10th, 2020
- Inter-Language Vector Space - Unlocking the Secrets of Language - Slator - August 10th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market Size and Status 2020 Outlook and Forecast to 2026 - eRealty Express - August 10th, 2020
- England v Pakistan: talking points from a thrilling first Test - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- High time to fully appreciate the all-round value of Chris Woakes - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- If You Had Bought EDAP TMS' (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares Five Years Ago You Would Be Down 12% - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- Tension myositis syndrome - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- I Tried Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - TMS Therapy as ... - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Benzinga - August 8th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- World TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Industry: A Latest Research Report to Share Market Insights and Dynamics - Bulletin Line - August 8th, 2020
- TMS Webinar puts the spotlight on Offshore Oil and Gas - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - August 8th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of GTMS.TO earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 2:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Alternative Treatment for Depression: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) - LVHN News - August 5th, 2020
- Alpega Partners with project44 to Deliver Advanced Visibility in North America and Europe - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Science Is Inching Closer To Modifying Our Memories Are We Ready For The Mind Eraser? - Forbes - August 5th, 2020
- September 1, deadline to present the transfer markets of the summer of 2021 - Explica - August 5th, 2020
- Rising Demand in TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Growth Analysis and Key Business Strategies 2026 - Owned - August 4th, 2020
- EKA and FreightWaves Announce Channel Partner Collaboration to Deliver Most Current Freight Data and Insights to Supply Chain Customers - The Herald... - August 4th, 2020
- Shockwave Therapy Device Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Boston Scientific Corporation, CR Bard Inc. -... - August 4th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2024 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Mental Wellness with MindPath: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Depression and OCD - WTVD-TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Nashville NeuroCare Therapy Marks 10-Year Milestone in TMS Therapy for the Treatment of Depression - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- Pokmon: 5 TMs You Can Buy That Are Absolutely Not Worth The Money (& 5 That Are) - TheGamer - August 3rd, 2020
- Racin' Today Jeff Burton Talks Loudon, TMS, Family And TV - RacinToday.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Reflecting film Market Analysis By Distribution Channel, Region And Forecast From 2020 To 2025|NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Forecast to 2025 - Driven by Industry Major Players, Dynamics, Future Opportunities, Revenue,... - August 1st, 2020
- Research Assistant, Grant job with UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY | 215068 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 1st, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - July 31st, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till August 31 - The Financial Express - July 31st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020-2026 scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 29th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 29th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market by Technology Innovations and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - July 29th, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till Aug 31 - Devdiscourse - July 29th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Goal.com - July 25th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Penn Medicine: Launching the Region's First Center for Translational Neuromodulation - UPENN Almanac - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 24th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: The reason so many people are stressed out right now - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 24th, 2020
- Global TMS(TRANSCRANIAL MAGNETIC STIMULATION) COIL Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 21st, 2020
- 'Dr. Stone' season 2 spoilers: TMS drops new teaser and here's what it revealed about Senku and the 'Stone Wars' arc - EconoTimes - July 21st, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 21st, 2020
- Seamount announces addition of Chassis Assets to their Drayage Fleet - DC Velocity - July 21st, 2020
- GEMoaB and Intellia Therapeutics Enter into Research Collaboration and Licensing Agreement on Next-Generation Cellular Immunotherapy Based on... - July 21st, 2020
- Shockwave Therapy Device Market Overview, Industry Top Manufactures, Market Size, Industry Growth Analysis And Forecasts 2026 |CR Bard Inc., Dornier... - July 20th, 2020
- Fans to return to TMS on Sunday for NASCAR race - Jacksonville Daily Progress - July 18th, 2020
- Press Release: Active Recovery TMS Opens Salem Clinic New Salem-Area Clinic Will Help With Treatment For Depression - The Lund Report - July 15th, 2020
- How to Solve the Digital Transportation Puzzle - FreightWaves - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020