Though it was once considered an ordinary aspect of growing up, bullying has become increasingly repudiated by schools across the country, and Tahlequah Middle School is doing its part to address the issue.
October is National Bullying Prevention Month, so TMS is holding Bullying Prevention Week to promote dialogue among students, their teachers and their parents.
"We recognize it for the month, but we do it for a week just to make sure we have a concerted effort," said TMS Principal David Bookout. "So we have different activities for our kids to be involved in. It's just to make people aware and give them ideas on how they can do their part to stop bullying at school."
Several types of bullying can be recognized: verbal, physical, relational, and cyberbullying. Research shows bullying often leaves lasting negative effects on its victims, including chronic depression, increased risk of suicidal thoughts, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, self-harm, substance abuse, poor general health, and more.
On Monday, the school held Affirmation Day to teach students the power of words and the written word, as they were encouraged to write positive notes about fellow classmates.
"Kids put their name on a piece of paper and everybody goes around to write something positive about that student," said Fred Poteete, bullying preventionist. "They can't write anything about their clothes, how they look, what kind of house they live in, or what kind of car their parents drive. It's more about how they act or behave."
Tuesday, students recognized Give Bullying a Hand Day. During homeroom period, students traced their hands on pieces of paper and wrote down prevention methods.
"They listed some things on their fingers that they can do to help stop bullying," said Bookout. "It could be, 'If I see something, I say something to somebody;' 'If I see somebody who needs help, I help them.' They just come up with different things they can do to recognize how they can help prevent bullying."
TMS planned a See Something, Say Something Day for Wednesday, giving teachers and students a chance to review how bullying may be reported. Students can report bullying in person to teachers, parents or guardians; they can leave a note in the Tiger Paw Box; or they can report online at http://www.tahlequahschools.org.
On Thursday, students will be given a Hot Spot Survey to help the school improve its climate. The school has surveyed students for several years, and oftentimes administrators learn better ways to make students feel safer. For instance, when TMS still had fifth-graders attending, around 50 students drew a line on a map from their fifth-grade building all the way to the cafeteria, adding X's along the route to indicate they didn't feel safe.
"Well, the reason they felt unsafe is because the eighth-graders were out in the hall at that time," said Poteete. "So all we did was just change the schedule for about five minutes so the eighth-graders weren't in the hall when the fifth-graders walked to lunch. That's all it took for us to figure it out, and how much did that cost? It cost the money to make the surveys and about 10 minutes of class time."
Students will watch a 20-minute video, "Gum in Your Hair," on Friday. Poteete said it's a fun video, "but it's to the point about bullying."
Fortunately, not every kid at TMS experiences bullying. Skyler Jessie said she hasn't been bullied herself and doesn't see much of it occurring at TMS, but added there could be a gray area when someone may misconstrue behavior as bullying.
"It's their tone that doesn't really say they're bullying, but the person looks like they are," said Jessie. "So I don't know what do and I don't want to accuse the person of being a bully."
Not every student is as lucky as Jessie, however. Noe Sosa said he's seen friends get "sad," because they were bullied, and recalled a time in elementary school when he was picked on.
"When I was playing, this person would constantly continue destroying my things," he said. "It happened for a while, until I finally told my teacher."
If students are concerned about being bullied, they'll likely have a hard time concentrating on their grades. They also might not want to attend school or are afraid of speaking out. Therefore, TMS works to combat bullying year-round, instead of just during Bully Prevention Week.
Brian Stanglin, School Resource Officer at TMS, teaches DARE and other courses throughout the year that touch on bullying.
"There's a big block in [DARE] about respecting other kids," said Stanglin. "I also teach My Body, My Life and Real Men. They're both focused on a lot of things, but they both have bully blocks in those also."
Students can also join the Safe School Committee, which is made up of students from each grade who report unsafe behavior or hazardous locations around campus. The committee gives students another source to reach out to if they're experiencing bullying of any kind.
"People think getting picked on is part of growing up," said Poteete. "I don't agree with that at all. I don't think that's something you should have to put up with. Every student has a right to stay safe at school."
See the original post here:
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - May 11th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System (TMS ... - May 11th, 2020
- The Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market is expected to grow by $ 2049.50 million during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 8% during... - May 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Overnight Marketed Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of To - News by aeresearch - May 11th, 2020
- Texas Governor Greg Abbott and TMS issue statement on Genesys 300 - Speedway Digest - May 11th, 2020
- BBC TMS star Isa Guha reveals she peed in a cup on open-top bus tour celebrating famous 2005 Ashes win - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Nexstim Plc to host Webinars to Present a Business Update and Information about the Rights Issue 2020 - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact on Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Share, Opportunities, SWOT Analysis and Forecast-2026 - Press... - May 11th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2020 Financial Results on May 13, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Florida TMS Clinic Offering Copay Waiver for Those Suffering from Depression and Anxiety Affected by COVID-19 - MENAFN.COM - May 1st, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 1st, 2020
- Global Toll Management System (TMS) Market With Positive Long-Term Growth Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pokemon GO Elite TM: Best Moves to Teach Pokemon - Heavy.com - May 1st, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Associated Press - March 25th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 25th, 2020
- GTreasury Supports New Survey of Corporate Treasurers That Gathers Industry Response Data to the COVID-19 Pandemic - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- Strategy Analytics: Coronavirus Expected to Add 5% to Global Video-on-Demand Subscriptions In 2020 - Business Wire - March 25th, 2020
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - March 25th, 2020
- Neuronetics Hits Major Milestones with More Than 2.5 Million Treatments and 1000 Installations of Its NeuroStar Advanced Therapy System -... - March 16th, 2020
- TMS Red Team ups record to 6-0 | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Gallery Systems Unveils TMS Collections 2020, the Most Powerful Release of its Online Collections Management Software, to Help Museums Manage Their... - March 16th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) MarMarket 2020 with Top Companies, Growth Factors and Development Estimation up to 2025 - NJ MMA News - March 16th, 2020
- US$2.68: That's What Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc. Is Worth After Its Latest Results - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Why Did You Move Your Hand Just Now? Linking Free Will and Movement - The Great Courses Daily News - March 16th, 2020
- Student of the week: The Marin Schools Marissa Ahuncain - Marin Independent Journal - March 16th, 2020
- [Major Update] TMS Confirms, Dr Stone Season 2: What will be the story story arc tell us? Release Date ... - Union Journalism - March 16th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And... - March 16th, 2020
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX Shiny Pokemon: where to find and how to catch shinies - RPG Site - March 16th, 2020
- 7 Takeaways From REWIRED, An inewsource Investigation - KPBS - February 24th, 2020
- Global transportation management systems (TMS) market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 13.4% over the forecast period from 2018-2024 - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Author talk leads to TMS anti-bullying club - Teton Valley News - February 24th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc 2019 Full Year Results - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Best informative report on Cyber- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market is growing rapidly with provides detailed profile - Keep Reading - February 24th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Size 2020-2025: Why It Is Important? and Key Manufacturers| MAG & More , Magstim , MagVenture -... - February 24th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan should 'do the right thing' and withdraw TMs - World Intellectual Property Review - February 24th, 2020
- The Morning Show: From Reality To The Screen - Old Gold & Black - February 24th, 2020
- 3Gtms Announces Additions to Board of Directors - Yahoo Finance - January 24th, 2020
- project44 and BluJay Solutions announce new partnership with a focus on visibility - Logistics Management - January 24th, 2020
- Looking back at 2019 in the Tonganoxie community - The Mirror - January 5th, 2020
- Time to move on: How to rework Pokemon Gos TM system - Pokemon GO Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Rita Oras 4th Talent Show Judging Gig Just ANOTHER Cash Grab? - Talent Recap - January 5th, 2020
- These Breakthroughs Made the 2010s the Decade of the Brain - Singularity Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (Tms): Market 2019 Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in The Upcoming Year to Expand its Size in Overseas Market... - December 31st, 2019
- Read This If You're Considering Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 31st, 2019
- Digitizing Transportation Processes: A Win/Win for Shippers and Carriers | 2019-12-06 - SupplyChainBrain - December 31st, 2019
- Outlook on the World's $1+ Billion Tumor Ablation Market, 2019-2024 - Minimally Invasive (MI) Procedures are Gaining Widespread Preference -... - December 31st, 2019
- The Morning Show Season Finale Recap: Cut the Feed - Vulture - December 27th, 2019
- ConnectToBrain: The dynamics of the brain - SciTech Europa - December 27th, 2019
- Hedge Funds Have Never Been This Bullish On EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) - Yahoo Finance - December 27th, 2019
- New Security Scanning Technology Looks To Expand In Cincinnati Area Businesses, Government, Schools - WVXU - December 27th, 2019
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends and Outlook 2020 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- This Year's 4 Most Mind-Boggling Stories About the Brain - Singularity Hub - December 27th, 2019
- New kid on the block | easter 2019 - BerthoudSurveyor.com - November 13th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - November 13th, 2019
- November 2019 LM Viewpoint: Transformation starts with the basics - Logistics Management - November 13th, 2019
- Real-Life Telepathy Is Closer Than You Think - The Daily Beast - November 13th, 2019
- Sullivan takes over TMS wrestling program | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - October 28th, 2019
- TMS Busy in the Shetland Islands, Toft Pier Development in Full Swing - Dredging Today - October 28th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Tand D.com - October 28th, 2019
- Previewing the NASCAR playoffs at Texas Motor Speedway: The contenders, their success on remaining tracks and more - The Dallas Morning News - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter and Nine Months 2019 Financial Results on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2019
- How the UK investment landscape is helping alleviate NHS load on mental health - BQ Live - October 28th, 2019
- How Old Dominion is using technology to better serve its customers - Fast Company - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) estimated to achieve average price target of $5.72 - Market Seat - October 28th, 2019
- Mexican carrier TMS partners with Fr8Hub - American Journal of Transportation - October 15th, 2019
- Changes in the Nexstim Plcs Board - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Fr8Hub CEO Ohad Axelrod to Discuss US-Mexico Cross-Border Trade at Journal of Commerce Inland Conference - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Welcome to the Shiny New Mary Sue - The Mary Sue - October 15th, 2019
- TMS Motor Spares Ltd - March 13th, 2019
- TMS - Welcome to TMS - January 9th, 2019
- TMS - Wholesale - November 23rd, 2018
- Temecula Middle School - Official Site - July 15th, 2018
- TMS Engineering - Home - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Therapy Center of Tulsa - Cutting Edge Depression ... - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Worldwide A belgian company operating worldwide! - May 24th, 2018