2019 was nuts for neuroscience. I said this last year too, but thats the nature of accelerating technologies: the advances just keep coming.
Therere the theoretical showdowns: a mano a mano battle of where consciousness arises in the brain, wildly creative theories of why our brains are so powerful, and the first complete brain wiring diagram of any species. This year also saw the the birth of hybrid brain atlases that seek to interrogate brain function from multiple levelsgenetic, molecular, and wiring, synthesizing individual maps into multiple comprehensive layers.
Brain organoids also had a wild year. These lab-grown nuggets of brain tissue, not much larger than a lentil, sparked with activity similar to preterm babies, made isolated muscles twitch, and can now be cloned into armies of near-identical siblings for experimentationprompting a new round of debate on whether theyll ever gain consciousness.
Then of course, theres the boom in neurotech. Fostered by insight into how neurons and circuits communicate with each other through a complex neural code, weve gotten ever closer to decoding the brain. Mind-controlled prosthetics are old news; the frontier now is engineering robotic limbs that can truly feel. Insight into our sensory cortices are inspiring light-based nervous systems that give robots multitudes of sensations. Elon Musks Neuralink finally came out after years of speculation, and a Wild West of brain-computer interfaces have sprung up, with the hope of one day restoring broken brain circuits without the need for surgery.
Thats already achievement-a-plenty. But as we wrap up the year, there are four mind-bending stories that still stick with meby asking about the nature of death, the promise of mind-reading, and new paths that may finally help us beat Alzheimers. These are the ones Ill leave you with.
The brain is a powerful but ultra-sensitive organ thats prone to injury. Once deprived of oxygen and nutrients, cells can begin to die within the hour. Thats why, zombie lore aside, scientists once thought its near impossible to resuscitate a brain to any sort of function hours after death.
Not true. In April, a team at Yale University reported that they successfully detected electrical activity in pig brains four hours after death. The results were a surprise: the team originally set out to develop a system that helps the brain maintain its integrity after removal for experimental purposes. How well it worked went beyond the teams expectations. Its impossible to say if the brains were conscious; that is, whether they were aware of being revived, though its highly (and I mean highly) unlikely. When the team saw signs of widespread, coordinated electrical activitywhich underlies consciousnessin their initial experiments, they anesthetized future experimental brains to block this sort of united firing, drastically reducing the chance consciousness could emerge in these brains.
Nevertheless, the study suggests that the brain is much more resilient to injuries such as stroke or trauma than previously thought. In the long term, it asks whether we might one day have a sort of CPR for the brain. And if so, how long can brains maintain their health after being separated from the body? We might have just taken the first step into the uncharted territories of death.
A few years ago, Dr. Miguel Nicolelis linked up animals brains into an internet that allowed each member to work collaboratively on a common problem. When connected to each other through implanted electrodes, the animals synced up their brains electrical activity in a way reminiscent of a single hive brain.
Nicolelis has now done the same experiment in humans, minus surgery. In a feat of neural engineering, the team used non-invasive electroencephalographs (EEGs) to read brain waves from two individuals and sent these signals to a third person by zapping their brain with magnetic pulsesa technology called transcranial magnetic stimulation, or TMS. Together, five triad groups solved a Tetris-like game using their brain waves alone, with an accuracy of over 80 percent, even when the researchers introduced noise.
One caveat: the system was rigged so that the neurotech wasnt detecting thought, for example, rotate the block or dont rotate. That decision was encoded as the presence or absence of light flashes, which are much easier for the EEG to read and for the TMS to deliver to the visual cortex. But its still a powerful proof-of-concept, in that even with our rudimentary brain reading and writing tech, its possible to link up human minds into a hive mind to solve problems. Nicolelis imagines a biological supercomputer made from networked human brains, which could conceivably cross language barriers and even enhance cognitive performance. The question is, if we open the sanctuary of our minds to others for gains in computing power, what do we stand to lose in privacy and autonomy?
Playing a collaborative game of Tetris isnt the only way scientists advanced mind reading technology. In January, one team combined deep learning with speech synthesis technology to translate what a person is hearing into reconstructed speech. The system captured electrical signals from the auditory cortex while a person listened to recordings of people speaking. These activity patterns were then decoded by an AI-based speech synthesizer and produced intelligible, if somewhat robotic, speech. Unfortunately, the system couldnt decode someones own internal thoughts.
But that changed three months later.
Another team engineered a neural decoder that decodes electrical signals measured from the cortex, the outermost layer of the brain. Rather than containing information about semantics, these signals represent movement of the lips, tongue, larynx, and jaw. Different movement patterns are associated with different sounds, which the decoder can identify and synthesize into actual comprehensible sentences. For the first time, its possible to know what someone is trying to say by reading their brain activity alone, and the tech was further validated in a Q&A conversation. Earlier this month, yet another team found its possible to decode words and syllables based on recordings from the brains motor cortexthe part usually responsible for hand and arm movements. This opens another avenue of reading speech directly from the brain.
Not to be outdone, a team at Russian firm Neurobotics found they could use AI to decode what video clips people are watching based on their brainwaves alone. In contrast to the speech-decoding studies, which use implanted electrodes, here non-invasive EEG was sufficient to reconstruct nature scenes, sports, and human faces.
For now, our private thoughts are still private, and the tech mainly helps those who cant speak reconnect with the world. But think about this: if someday a tech giant offers you the ability to text or post using your mind only, would (and should) you go for it?
Dementia is one of the most frustrating neurological disorders of our time. Despite decades of research, nearly every single Alzheimers drug that targets toxic protein clumpscalled beta-amyloidthought responsible for the disease has failed. Generally, these drugs are proteins that break up clumps or neutralize their toxic effects.
This year saw an explosion in alternative potential treatments and theories.
One that especially gained steam suggests flashing lights and clicking sound could potentially break up toxic protein clumps and improve brain function, at least in mice. The treatment, cheap, non-invasive, and dramatically effective, offers new hope to the long-struggling field. Others suggest that mutations to DNA in brain cells scrambles certain genes and could be a root cause. Yet others are taking a gene therapy approach to the Alzheimers dilemma, adding in a dose of a protective gene variant in high-risk individuals.
Although its impossible to say if any of these new routes will lead anywhere, one thing is clear: the more scientific treatment ideas we have, the higher the chance well finally tame Alzheimers in the near future.
Image Credit: Gerd Altman / Pixabay
Read the rest here:
- TruckingOffice Integrates TMS with ELD for Seamless Dispatcher Trucker Workflow - PR Web - August 10th, 2020
- Which Pokmon To Use Elite Charged TMs On In Pokmon GO - Bleeding Cool News - August 10th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Second Quarter Financial Results With Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 sets sights on simplifying TMS integration - FreightWaves - August 10th, 2020
- If You Had Bought EDAP TMS' (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares Five Years Ago You Would Be Down 12% - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Scientists Have Found A Way To Erase Your Worst Fears: What If It Could Amp Up Career Success? - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Road construction work underway in Weyburn region - Weyburn Review - August 10th, 2020
- Inter-Language Vector Space - Unlocking the Secrets of Language - Slator - August 10th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - August 8th, 2020
- Tension myositis syndrome - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- I Tried Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - TMS Therapy as ... - August 8th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Second Quarter Financial Results With Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic - Business Wire - August 8th, 2020
- If You Had Bought EDAP TMS' (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares Five Years Ago You Would Be Down 12% - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Benzinga - August 8th, 2020
- Road construction work underway in Weyburn region - Weyburn Review - August 8th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- Scientists Have Found A Way To Erase Your Worst Fears: What If It Could Amp Up Career Success? - Forbes - August 8th, 2020
- World TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Industry: A Latest Research Report to Share Market Insights and Dynamics - Bulletin Line - August 8th, 2020
- TMS Webinar puts the spotlight on Offshore Oil and Gas - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - August 8th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of GTMS.TO earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 2:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Alternative Treatment for Depression: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) - LVHN News - August 5th, 2020
- Alpega Partners with project44 to Deliver Advanced Visibility in North America and Europe - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Science Is Inching Closer To Modifying Our Memories Are We Ready For The Mind Eraser? - Forbes - August 5th, 2020
- September 1, deadline to present the transfer markets of the summer of 2021 - Explica - August 5th, 2020
- Rising Demand in TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Growth Analysis and Key Business Strategies 2026 - Owned - August 4th, 2020
- EKA and FreightWaves Announce Channel Partner Collaboration to Deliver Most Current Freight Data and Insights to Supply Chain Customers - The Herald... - August 4th, 2020
- Shockwave Therapy Device Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Boston Scientific Corporation, CR Bard Inc. -... - August 4th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2024 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Mental Wellness with MindPath: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Depression and OCD - WTVD-TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Nashville NeuroCare Therapy Marks 10-Year Milestone in TMS Therapy for the Treatment of Depression - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- Pokmon: 5 TMs You Can Buy That Are Absolutely Not Worth The Money (& 5 That Are) - TheGamer - August 3rd, 2020
- Racin' Today Jeff Burton Talks Loudon, TMS, Family And TV - RacinToday.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Reflecting film Market Analysis By Distribution Channel, Region And Forecast From 2020 To 2025|NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Forecast to 2025 - Driven by Industry Major Players, Dynamics, Future Opportunities, Revenue,... - August 1st, 2020
- Research Assistant, Grant job with UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY | 215068 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 1st, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - July 31st, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy ... - July 31st, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till August 31 - The Financial Express - July 31st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020-2026 scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 29th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 29th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market by Technology Innovations and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - July 29th, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till Aug 31 - Devdiscourse - July 29th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Goal.com - July 25th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Penn Medicine: Launching the Region's First Center for Translational Neuromodulation - UPENN Almanac - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 24th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: The reason so many people are stressed out right now - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 24th, 2020
- Global TMS(TRANSCRANIAL MAGNETIC STIMULATION) COIL Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 21st, 2020
- 'Dr. Stone' season 2 spoilers: TMS drops new teaser and here's what it revealed about Senku and the 'Stone Wars' arc - EconoTimes - July 21st, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 21st, 2020
- Seamount announces addition of Chassis Assets to their Drayage Fleet - DC Velocity - July 21st, 2020
- GEMoaB and Intellia Therapeutics Enter into Research Collaboration and Licensing Agreement on Next-Generation Cellular Immunotherapy Based on... - July 21st, 2020
- Shockwave Therapy Device Market Overview, Industry Top Manufactures, Market Size, Industry Growth Analysis And Forecasts 2026 |CR Bard Inc., Dornier... - July 20th, 2020
- Fans to return to TMS on Sunday for NASCAR race - Jacksonville Daily Progress - July 18th, 2020
- Press Release: Active Recovery TMS Opens Salem Clinic New Salem-Area Clinic Will Help With Treatment For Depression - The Lund Report - July 15th, 2020
- How to Solve the Digital Transportation Puzzle - FreightWaves - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Transportation Management System (TMS) Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 15th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System? | Oracle - July 14th, 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions About TMS at The Johns Hopkins ... - July 14th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) | Teknowlogi - July 14th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) at The Johns ... - July 14th, 2020
- What is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)? - July 14th, 2020
- Bonafont Launching Transplaces Advanced Software-as-a ... - July 14th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 14th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway ready to welcome fans back to the racetrack - WFAA.com - July 14th, 2020
- Global Talent Management Software (TMS) Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025| COVID-19 Impact Analysis: Cornerstone Ondemand, IBM, Lumesse, Oracle,... - July 14th, 2020
- The right tech investment at the right time pays off - FreightWaves - July 11th, 2020
- Operators back on the field with soccer tournament work - Bus & Motorcoach News - July 11th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 27th, 2020
- Aiming ultrasound at the brain raises hope of new treatments - Science Magazine - June 27th, 2020
- Neuronetics Announces Appointment of Bruce J. Shook to its Board of Directors - BioSpace - June 27th, 2020