Over the past 20 years, Ive coped relatively well with antidepressants and mood stabilizers until this year. Ive been on medical leave most of the year with treatment-resistant depression. Ive had some pretty bad spells over the years, but five months ago, I entered the deepest depression Ive ever experienced. My medications were no longer working, and I was desperate to find another solution.
Then, I heard about transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), and after some research, I was hopeful that this could work for me. Since TMS was FDA-approved in 2008, most insurance plans in the U.S., including Medicare/Medicaid, cover the treatment, but insurance requires proof that multiple medications have stopped working.
Going into my first treatment, the internet and my doctor provided expectations such as the procedure, treatment effectiveness, reaction times and side effects. Heres what I learned and experienced.
How it works?
TMS is non-invasive and doesnt requires anesthesia. The TMS device contains a magnetic coil that pulsates to stimulate neurons in the region of the brain associated with depression. At this time, TMS is approved for treatment-resistant depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), but ongoing research explores protocols for other mood disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and even chronic pain.
Related: What I Didn't Know About Starting Medication for My Depression and Anxiety
Because the treatment involves magnets, you cannot wear any metal jewelry, hair clips, etc. Discuss any metal implants in your head with a doctor they will advise if you are a candidate based on the location of the implant.
What to expect?
During the treatment, youre in a comfortable reclining chair with an adjustable headrest and lumbar support. There is a T-shaped tape that keeps the head in position on the headrest, and youll wear earplugs. The magnetic pulses are administered on the left side of the head towards the front.
During the first session, the doctor performed a mapping exercise to position the magnetic pulse correctly. The machine issues a single tap while the doctor watches for a finger twitch from the right hand. Once this is complete, the position is programmed in the machine.
How does it feel? How long does it last?
The pulses feel like Woody Woodpecker tapping on your skull for five-second intervals with a rest period in between. The machine beeps before each series of pulses, so you know when the pulse interval starts. The treatment can last anywhere from 17-37 minutes, depending on the rest periods. We started out with longer rest periods, and as I got used to it, the rest periods decreased.
Related: When Not Going Home to a Toxic Family During the Holidays Isnt an Option
Treatment protocols are four to six weeks and occur every weekday. A tapering period follows with about six treatments every other day.
What to do with your time?
You cant wear earbuds due to the metal, and the reclining position makes it difficult to read. My center had a smart TV, so I watched videos and listened to podcasts via YouTube. I thought of the treatment as reprogramming my brain, so I chose inspirational and humorous programs for a positive mindset. Also, you cant fall asleep. With the woodpecker tapping, youd think it would be difficult, but fatigue means I can fall asleep anywhere, any time.
When will I see improvement? How much improvement should I expect?
Response time and improvement vary for everyone. Some people see an improvement the first week. I saw a slight improvement after four weeks and an amazing improvement at the end of the six weeks. However, it doesnt work for everyone. Forty-five to 60 percent of patients see some improvement with 30-40 percent achieving remission. Effects can last up to 12 months, and insurance coverage for follow-up treatments varies. Luckily, my insurance will cover another course in three months.
Related: How I'm Trading Self-Harm in for Self-Care
Are there side effects?
Headaches are the most common side effect, but as you get used to the treatment, these usually fade. Taking some Ibuprofen before the first few treatments helped, but after a few days, I tolerated the tapping.
Another common side effect, referred to as the dip, can occur during the first few weeks. Everyone reacts to the treatment differently, so you may not experience this at all, but its something to be aware of. During this dip, the initial improvement is reversed, depression recurs and it can be much worse. I experienced this about a week in, and it lasted a day or two. Others report dips up to a week. Since responses vary, I actually experienced another dip after about four weeks, but it wasnt as bad as the first one.
Read the original post:
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - May 11th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System (TMS ... - May 11th, 2020
- The Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market is expected to grow by $ 2049.50 million during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 8% during... - May 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Overnight Marketed Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of To - News by aeresearch - May 11th, 2020
- Texas Governor Greg Abbott and TMS issue statement on Genesys 300 - Speedway Digest - May 11th, 2020
- BBC TMS star Isa Guha reveals she peed in a cup on open-top bus tour celebrating famous 2005 Ashes win - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Nexstim Plc to host Webinars to Present a Business Update and Information about the Rights Issue 2020 - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact on Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Share, Opportunities, SWOT Analysis and Forecast-2026 - Press... - May 11th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2020 Financial Results on May 13, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Florida TMS Clinic Offering Copay Waiver for Those Suffering from Depression and Anxiety Affected by COVID-19 - MENAFN.COM - May 1st, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 1st, 2020
- Global Toll Management System (TMS) Market With Positive Long-Term Growth Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pokemon GO Elite TM: Best Moves to Teach Pokemon - Heavy.com - May 1st, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Associated Press - March 25th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 25th, 2020
- GTreasury Supports New Survey of Corporate Treasurers That Gathers Industry Response Data to the COVID-19 Pandemic - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- Strategy Analytics: Coronavirus Expected to Add 5% to Global Video-on-Demand Subscriptions In 2020 - Business Wire - March 25th, 2020
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - March 25th, 2020
- Neuronetics Hits Major Milestones with More Than 2.5 Million Treatments and 1000 Installations of Its NeuroStar Advanced Therapy System -... - March 16th, 2020
- TMS Red Team ups record to 6-0 | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Gallery Systems Unveils TMS Collections 2020, the Most Powerful Release of its Online Collections Management Software, to Help Museums Manage Their... - March 16th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) MarMarket 2020 with Top Companies, Growth Factors and Development Estimation up to 2025 - NJ MMA News - March 16th, 2020
- US$2.68: That's What Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc. Is Worth After Its Latest Results - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Why Did You Move Your Hand Just Now? Linking Free Will and Movement - The Great Courses Daily News - March 16th, 2020
- Student of the week: The Marin Schools Marissa Ahuncain - Marin Independent Journal - March 16th, 2020
- [Major Update] TMS Confirms, Dr Stone Season 2: What will be the story story arc tell us? Release Date ... - Union Journalism - March 16th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And... - March 16th, 2020
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX Shiny Pokemon: where to find and how to catch shinies - RPG Site - March 16th, 2020
- 7 Takeaways From REWIRED, An inewsource Investigation - KPBS - February 24th, 2020
- Global transportation management systems (TMS) market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 13.4% over the forecast period from 2018-2024 - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Author talk leads to TMS anti-bullying club - Teton Valley News - February 24th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc 2019 Full Year Results - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Best informative report on Cyber- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market is growing rapidly with provides detailed profile - Keep Reading - February 24th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Size 2020-2025: Why It Is Important? and Key Manufacturers| MAG & More , Magstim , MagVenture -... - February 24th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan should 'do the right thing' and withdraw TMs - World Intellectual Property Review - February 24th, 2020
- The Morning Show: From Reality To The Screen - Old Gold & Black - February 24th, 2020
- 3Gtms Announces Additions to Board of Directors - Yahoo Finance - January 24th, 2020
- project44 and BluJay Solutions announce new partnership with a focus on visibility - Logistics Management - January 24th, 2020
- Looking back at 2019 in the Tonganoxie community - The Mirror - January 5th, 2020
- Time to move on: How to rework Pokemon Gos TM system - Pokemon GO Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Rita Oras 4th Talent Show Judging Gig Just ANOTHER Cash Grab? - Talent Recap - January 5th, 2020
- These Breakthroughs Made the 2010s the Decade of the Brain - Singularity Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (Tms): Market 2019 Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in The Upcoming Year to Expand its Size in Overseas Market... - December 31st, 2019
- Digitizing Transportation Processes: A Win/Win for Shippers and Carriers | 2019-12-06 - SupplyChainBrain - December 31st, 2019
- Outlook on the World's $1+ Billion Tumor Ablation Market, 2019-2024 - Minimally Invasive (MI) Procedures are Gaining Widespread Preference -... - December 31st, 2019
- The Morning Show Season Finale Recap: Cut the Feed - Vulture - December 27th, 2019
- ConnectToBrain: The dynamics of the brain - SciTech Europa - December 27th, 2019
- Hedge Funds Have Never Been This Bullish On EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) - Yahoo Finance - December 27th, 2019
- New Security Scanning Technology Looks To Expand In Cincinnati Area Businesses, Government, Schools - WVXU - December 27th, 2019
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends and Outlook 2020 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- This Year's 4 Most Mind-Boggling Stories About the Brain - Singularity Hub - December 27th, 2019
- New kid on the block | easter 2019 - BerthoudSurveyor.com - November 13th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - November 13th, 2019
- November 2019 LM Viewpoint: Transformation starts with the basics - Logistics Management - November 13th, 2019
- Real-Life Telepathy Is Closer Than You Think - The Daily Beast - November 13th, 2019
- Sullivan takes over TMS wrestling program | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - October 28th, 2019
- TMS projects aim to bring bullying to a halt - Tahlequah Daily Press - October 28th, 2019
- TMS Busy in the Shetland Islands, Toft Pier Development in Full Swing - Dredging Today - October 28th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Tand D.com - October 28th, 2019
- Previewing the NASCAR playoffs at Texas Motor Speedway: The contenders, their success on remaining tracks and more - The Dallas Morning News - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter and Nine Months 2019 Financial Results on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2019
- How the UK investment landscape is helping alleviate NHS load on mental health - BQ Live - October 28th, 2019
- How Old Dominion is using technology to better serve its customers - Fast Company - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) estimated to achieve average price target of $5.72 - Market Seat - October 28th, 2019
- Mexican carrier TMS partners with Fr8Hub - American Journal of Transportation - October 15th, 2019
- Changes in the Nexstim Plcs Board - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Fr8Hub CEO Ohad Axelrod to Discuss US-Mexico Cross-Border Trade at Journal of Commerce Inland Conference - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Welcome to the Shiny New Mary Sue - The Mary Sue - October 15th, 2019
- TMS Motor Spares Ltd - March 13th, 2019
- TMS - Welcome to TMS - January 9th, 2019
- TMS - Wholesale - November 23rd, 2018
- Temecula Middle School - Official Site - July 15th, 2018
- TMS Engineering - Home - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Therapy Center of Tulsa - Cutting Edge Depression ... - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Worldwide A belgian company operating worldwide! - May 24th, 2018