Depression is a growing problem in Canada and elsewhere, and one of the most important public health issues today, says the World Health Organization (WHO). The COVID-19 pandemic and the ensuing containment measures have had an impact on the mental health of Canadians and have created conditions that are associated with increased rates of suicide.
Unfortunately, front-line treatments for depression, such as psychotherapy and medication, remain ineffective for a large portion of patients receiving care.
However, a new type of treatment is promising: neurostimulation. Here, a technician in a clinic directs a magnetic coil and delivers a few hundred electromagnetic pulses to a specific area of the brain. Treatments are painless, involve no surgery or significant side-effects and take less than an hour a day. The results are impressive. But is this too good to be true?
As a professor of neuroscience in the department of biology at the University of Ottawa and an affiliated researcher at the Krembil Research Institute in Toronto, my research in nonlinear physics has led me to the incredible complexity and richness of biological systems, especially in neuroscience.
Using mathematics and the power of numerical computation, it is possible to better understand not only how the brain works at the cellular level but also how its vast network is organized and what may be lacking because in presence of diseases, such as depression. This can help identify new avenues for treatment and test their effectiveness through simulations. Its a huge task that Im working on in collaboration with an interdisciplinary team of researchers around the world.
During the past decade, medical treatments involving neurostimulation, or cerebral electromagnetic stimulation, have resurfaced in neuroscience and psychiatry.
After the murky days of electroconvulsive therapy and other techniques, which had rather bad press, electrical or magnetic stimulation of neurons is attempting a comeback, using a much more sophisticated approach and much lower electrical currents. As a result, neurostimulation is becoming increasingly important in the treatment of depression, and its effectiveness seems to surpass that of medication in many patients.
Methods such as transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) are safe and painless alternatives to traditional pharmacological treatments. In addition, they have virtually no side-effects and offer new insights into the manipulation and control of cognitive processes.
Recent meta-analyses have identified positive and lasting effects of TMS neurostimulation treatments on patients with depression, some of whom experienced benefits up to one year after treatment.
These treatments are now approved by many regulatory agencies and the clinical use of neurostimulation is on the rise in many countries. In particular, portable TMS devices are in development and in the process of being approved by Health Canada for wider, accessible deployment. These devices would allow patients to treat themselves at home, without having to go to the clinic every day as is currently the case.
However, a major challenge remains: how to control brain activity accurately. What areas and types of magnetic signals should be used to relieve patients symptoms? For despite amazing results and promising advances, the mechanisms of neurostimulation remain poorly understood. Why?
TMS uses a coil to create a magnetic field that induces electric currents in the brain. Neurons are cells that communicate by means of repeated electrochemical impulses; the brain is an organ with essentially electrical functions. Magnetic fields can therefore influence the dialogue between different areas of the brain and in theory restore or balance their function.
The brain, composed of billions of neurons with continuously changing dynamics, is an incredibly complex network. Neurostimulation therefore poses quite a problem for researchers and clinicians, such as where to stimulate and how. The problem is so great that many advances are being made empirically using the trial-and-error method.
Mathematics is involved in this interdisciplinary adventure. What if, through mathematical models of brain circuits, we could understand how stimulation influences neurons and how its effects propagate?
By integrating brain imaging data such as magnetic resonance and electroencephalograms, mathematics can be used to create numerical simulations to better understand the influence of neurostimulation on neuronal activity. Its a promising approach that could indeed allow us to unravel the mystery of considering the brain as a pendulum!
To better understand, lets go back a bit.
The activity of neurons in the brain is far from being random and irregular. On the contrary, the neurons in certain parts of the brain co-ordinate their activity and react at the same time. They synchronize. This synchronization of the neurons in the brain appears in the magnifying glass of medical imaging as waves, or very characteristic oscillations, which are also called brain rhythms.
Brain activity oscillates like a pendulum and this constant to-and-fro movement allows us to see neuronal processes in action. Like ripples on a pond, brain rhythms are dynamic, changing according to our cognitive states. They will be different during a sustained mental effort, during physical activity and during sleep or meditation.
Researchers believe that brain waves are involved in the majority of brain processes. It is also these same rhythms that seem to be lacking in many neurodegenerative diseases. They are absent, too strong or too slow.
What if we could control these rhythms with the help of neurostimulation? This is the emerging hypothesis put forward by some neurostimulation researchers. Using advanced mathematics and computer simulations, they want to understand how co-ordination between networked neurons can be influenced and to what extent electromagnetic stimulation can be used to control brain rhythms and to develop treatments for neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinsons, schizophrenia and depression.
This research may lead to a better understanding of the role of these rhythms in brain function, the code used by neurons to communicate with each other and a better understanding of what is lacking in certain diseases. It may also allow us to use neurostimulation to increase the computational capacity of these neural networks, thereby increasing cognitive abilities and creativity. Science fiction? Maybe but not completely.
See the original post:
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - December 17th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - December 17th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia - December 17th, 2020
- Global TMS Therapy Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology and Application - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2020
- TMS Therapy Global Market Insights (2020 to 2025) - Analysis and Forecasts - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2020
- What The Heck Is TMS TherapyAnd Is It A Legit Treatment For Depression? - Scary Mommy - December 17th, 2020
- TMS clubs bring the enthusiasm | Education | tetonvalleynews.net - Teton Valley News - December 17th, 2020
- Terminal Management System Tms Market Massive Demand, with Smart Key Players By 2026 Abb, Honeywell International, Inc, Rockwell Automation, Inc -... - December 17th, 2020
- BluJay and FourKites renew partnership to provide increased value to joint customers - theloadstar.com - December 17th, 2020
- TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Share Analysis and Research - News by aeresearch - September 8th, 2020
- The TMS Round-Up: Our Favorite Cinematic Vacation Spots - The Mary Sue - September 8th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Transportation and Logistics Software Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2028 with Top Players Like TMW,... - September 8th, 2020
- The Breaking, Known News TMS Therapy for Depression Works - PsychCentral.com - September 4th, 2020
- Column: CNV-X Capstone Project the effects of Alzheimer's and how TMS can help - Los Angeles Times - September 4th, 2020
- Logistics Matters podcast: Philip Evers of the University of Maryland on what's ahead for the US Postal Service | S1 E21 | 2020-08-28 - DC Velocity - September 4th, 2020
- Fast Three: Would You WFH Permanently?, Treating Depression in Pottstown, and Racing Ducks for Cash - The Sanatoga Post - September 4th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Judy Reyes Talked With Us About the Importance of All Together Now - The Mary Sue - September 4th, 2020
- Technology promotes transparency in transportation, shipping | 2020-08-27 - DC Velocity - September 2nd, 2020
- TAIJI Medical Supplies Inc., a US PPE Manufacturer, Announces Expansion of Manufacturing Capacity Amid Expected Surge of COVID-19 and Influenza Cases... - September 2nd, 2020
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy Market 2020-2026 | EDAP TMS, SonaCare Medical, Theraclion, ILJIN Holdings, FUS Instruments - NJ MMA... - September 2nd, 2020
- C.H. Robinson heralds integration of 19 TMS and ERP providers into its Navisphere offering - Logistics Management - September 1st, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Prostate Cancer Devices Market to Record Significant Revenue Growth During the Forecast Period 20202025 | Galil Medical,... - September 1st, 2020
- Innovative Report on High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Market 2020 Major Players: Chongqing Haifu Medical Technology, Philips Healthcare, Insightec,... - September 1st, 2020
- Which Pokmon To Use Elite Charged TMs On In Pokmon GO - Bleeding Cool News - August 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Second Quarter Financial Results With Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic - Business Wire - August 11th, 2020
- FLORIDA TMS CLINIC Offers The Best TMS Therapy In The Tampa Bay Area - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 11th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 sets sights on simplifying TMS integration - FreightWaves - August 11th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc's Half-Yearly Report H1 2020 - Yahoo Finance - August 11th, 2020
- Scientists Have Found A Way To Erase Your Worst Fears: What If It Could Amp Up Career Success? - Forbes - August 11th, 2020
- Road construction work underway in Weyburn region - Weyburn Review - August 11th, 2020
- TruckingOffice Integrates TMS with ELD for Seamless Dispatcher Trucker Workflow - PR Web - August 10th, 2020
- Inter-Language Vector Space - Unlocking the Secrets of Language - Slator - August 10th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market Size and Status 2020 Outlook and Forecast to 2026 - eRealty Express - August 10th, 2020
- England v Pakistan: talking points from a thrilling first Test - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- High time to fully appreciate the all-round value of Chris Woakes - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- If You Had Bought EDAP TMS' (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares Five Years Ago You Would Be Down 12% - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Tension myositis syndrome - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- I Tried Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - TMS Therapy as ... - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Benzinga - August 8th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- World TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Industry: A Latest Research Report to Share Market Insights and Dynamics - Bulletin Line - August 8th, 2020
- TMS Webinar puts the spotlight on Offshore Oil and Gas - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - August 8th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of GTMS.TO earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 2:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Alternative Treatment for Depression: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) - LVHN News - August 5th, 2020
- Alpega Partners with project44 to Deliver Advanced Visibility in North America and Europe - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Science Is Inching Closer To Modifying Our Memories Are We Ready For The Mind Eraser? - Forbes - August 5th, 2020
- September 1, deadline to present the transfer markets of the summer of 2021 - Explica - August 5th, 2020
- Rising Demand in TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Growth Analysis and Key Business Strategies 2026 - Owned - August 4th, 2020
- EKA and FreightWaves Announce Channel Partner Collaboration to Deliver Most Current Freight Data and Insights to Supply Chain Customers - The Herald... - August 4th, 2020
- Shockwave Therapy Device Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Boston Scientific Corporation, CR Bard Inc. -... - August 4th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2024 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Mental Wellness with MindPath: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Depression and OCD - WTVD-TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Nashville NeuroCare Therapy Marks 10-Year Milestone in TMS Therapy for the Treatment of Depression - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- Pokmon: 5 TMs You Can Buy That Are Absolutely Not Worth The Money (& 5 That Are) - TheGamer - August 3rd, 2020
- Racin' Today Jeff Burton Talks Loudon, TMS, Family And TV - RacinToday.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Reflecting film Market Analysis By Distribution Channel, Region And Forecast From 2020 To 2025|NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Forecast to 2025 - Driven by Industry Major Players, Dynamics, Future Opportunities, Revenue,... - August 1st, 2020
- Research Assistant, Grant job with UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY | 215068 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 1st, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy ... - July 31st, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till August 31 - The Financial Express - July 31st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020-2026 scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 29th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 29th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market by Technology Innovations and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - July 29th, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till Aug 31 - Devdiscourse - July 29th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Goal.com - July 25th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Penn Medicine: Launching the Region's First Center for Translational Neuromodulation - UPENN Almanac - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 24th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: The reason so many people are stressed out right now - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 24th, 2020
- Global TMS(TRANSCRANIAL MAGNETIC STIMULATION) COIL Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 21st, 2020
- 'Dr. Stone' season 2 spoilers: TMS drops new teaser and here's what it revealed about Senku and the 'Stone Wars' arc - EconoTimes - July 21st, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 21st, 2020
- Seamount announces addition of Chassis Assets to their Drayage Fleet - DC Velocity - July 21st, 2020
- GEMoaB and Intellia Therapeutics Enter into Research Collaboration and Licensing Agreement on Next-Generation Cellular Immunotherapy Based on... - July 21st, 2020