Growing up with older brothers meant that I was personally subjected to a lot of movies from the 70s and 80s to fall in love with. In many of those films was Steve Guttenberg. I would eventually find my own Guttenberg comfort movie in Home for the Holidays, but the point is that Steve Guttenberg has a legacy that is impactful, fun, and leaves many of his fans with different movies to talk about.
ThePolice AcademyandShort Circuitstar talked with me about his upcoming project: Good Boy, an entry in Hulus Into the Dark anthology series of feature-length horror stories. In this installment, Guttenberg plays an editor for a local paper that is going digita,l and the excitement for it came from Jason Blum asking and working with Judy Greer!
The Mary Sue: I really enjoyed Good Boy because I thought it was a fun take on the series. I enjoyed that it was a bit more fun, and I really liked your character, as a writer myself. So, I wanted to know what kind of drew you into the Into the Darkseries in the first place and, in particular, this character?
Steve Guttenberg:Well, Jason Blums office called us and asked if I was interested in doing one of his episodes, and I read it and I thought that Aaron and Will Eisenberg did a good job making a derivative idea into something different. And I liked Tragedy GirlsandPatchworkfrom Tyler MacIntyre, and I was really excited about working with a talented actress like Judy Greer, so I accepted the part.
TMS: And yeah, youve been having a really fun kind of (well I guess with my family) resurgence, but we watch Holey Moley, so I also love that this movie, in particular, is more of like a character that is new and refreshing versus the exaggeration of yourself that youre playing on Holey Moley as the diving judge, and so, is that fun to kind of have this new wave of fans recognize your work?
Guttenberg: You know I dont notice any of that. You know, my job is to be creative every day. So I take classes every day: dance, theatre, movement, stage fighting whether its a mask class, singing, or dancing and so my day, since I was twelve years old, has been being creative ten hours a day. An actor can only do what hes offered, and I just look at it as doing my work.
With Holey Moley,I wanted to create an angry character. Im not playing myself at all. Im playing this sort of pompous actor who has a real anger in him for this diver, Joey, which is ridiculous and thats what makes it funny, and then to play Don, which is a supporting role the idea of a supporting role is to make the lead look good. Thats your only job. If you make the lead look good, then youve done a good job being a supporting character. If youre going to play Polonius, you have to make everybody else look goodsame thing with playing Guildenstern. You have to make Hamlet look good. So, my job was to make Judy look good.
TMS: And you do a great job with it.
Guttenberg: Thank you I appreciate it.
TMS: I love both your movies and Judy Greers, so this movie is very exciting, so do you hope that this I feel like the Into the Darkseries has a younger audience who likes horror movies and the series is just a condensed version, do you hope that it kind of brings younger audiences into your older work that they might not have seen yet?
Steve Guttenberg:No, not really. My job is to be the best actor that I can, and its show business. Im part of the show. My job is to act, sing, dance, move, and create a character or characters that support the piece, that serves the play. I have no control over the business, and so I dont pay much attention to it. And I dont pay much attention to the fans because theyre a capricious group. One day they like you, one day they dont. Im sure youve seen it in your writing. Someone might love you and then move on to another writer, so I dont pay much attention to the fans. I think theyre people just like me.
TMS: Thats really interesting because I ask that question a lot and normally theyre like I hope it does this and this maybe thats why because like, I was tweeting about getting to talk to you today and was saying how I have to find some way of bringing up Home for the Holidaybecause thats my favorite comfort movie and I think now that maybe thats why your movies feel that way to people? Because its not so much a I love every single thing Steve Guttenberg has ever done but its, instead, that every character you bring to life has this earnest nature to them.
Guttenberg: Well, I want to bring the truth into everything I do, and thats why we admire actors, because theyre truthful. And that degree of actors are truthful and through that earnestness, I believe that I serve the play and lots of good things can come from that. Its all about creating a part of the painting that the director and producer envisioned. And if you can make it better, then thats great, but I dont focus at all on the result. I dont read reviews. Im just doing my job, and I do my job the best I can.
TMS: Do you think thats something thats important for a lot of creatives to remember now? Because so much of everything is online and what people think and what people are saying instead of just honoring the art and putting your whole self into something rather than worrying about what people are going to say about it?
Guttenberg: Yeah, nothing is stronger than an idea whose time has come. And before its time has come, everybody is against it. If you notice, three years ago Colin Kaepernick went on one knee and was basically fired for it. And now the NFL is walking that back and saying, Maybe we made a mistake. The same as with all the other companies. So, its about when an ideas time has come. So, if you believe in your art, or your cause, considering what other people think is ridiculous. You have to notice the world you live in, but it doesnt matter what anybody thinks because they spend about two seconds on what youre doing and then they move on, but youre spending a lifetime on your cause.
TMS: Thats fascinating because, like you said, its one moment and then its gone, and so much of peoples outrage or commentary on art and movies is for a moment, and then it passes, but its the movies that certain people cling to that have this power. And with actors like yourself, its really fascinating to me because, like I said earlier, you have so many movies that have that resonance and so much of it is because of your approach to acting and your telling of these stories.
Guttenberg: Yeah, you know, of course, you have to be lucky enough to have paints that are beautiful and a canvas that is beautiful and something to paint that is beautiful, and I think that the artist has a signature and thats what creates an icon. Its the expectation and fulfillment of what that artist brings.
TMS: As kind of a final thought (Im very excited for people to watch this), what do you hope to do next when everything calms down and what stories do you want to bring your truth to in the future?
Guttenberg: Oh, I dont know. I really dont know. Im writing a play right now for New York, and hopefully, that gets done. But creatively, I just do the same thing every day. Serve my family and my friends, I take classes and improve my art and my instrument, and enjoy a great quality of life.
Good Boy is out now, and if you like comedy, this is a fun foray into the comedic horror genre with great performances and a fun twisting narrative that keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the entire thing! Definitely check it out, and I, personally, cant wait for more Guttenberg on Holey Moleyor to see that play hes working on!
(image: TriStar Pictures)
Want more stories like this? Become a subscriber and support the site!
The Mary Sue has a strict comment policy that forbids, but is not limited to, personal insults toward anyone, hate speech, and trolling.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alternative Treatment for Depression: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) - LVHN News - August 4th, 2020
- If You Had Bought EDAP TMS' (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares Five Years Ago You Would Be Down 12% - Yahoo Finance - August 4th, 2020
- Alpega Partners with project44 to Deliver Advanced Visibility in North America and Europe - Business Wire - August 4th, 2020
- Science Is Inching Closer To Modifying Our Memories Are We Ready For The Mind Eraser? - Forbes - August 4th, 2020
- Rising Demand in TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Growth Analysis and Key Business Strategies 2026 - Owned - August 4th, 2020
- TMS Webinar puts the spotlight on Offshore Oil and Gas - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - August 4th, 2020
- September 1, deadline to present the transfer markets of the summer of 2021 - Explica - August 4th, 2020
- Alternative Treatment for Depression: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) - LVHN News - August 3rd, 2020
- Mental Wellness with MindPath: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Depression and OCD - WTVD-TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Nashville NeuroCare Therapy Marks 10-Year Milestone in TMS Therapy for the Treatment of Depression - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- Pokmon: 5 TMs You Can Buy That Are Absolutely Not Worth The Money (& 5 That Are) - TheGamer - August 3rd, 2020
- Science Is Inching Closer To Modifying Our Memories Are We Ready For The Mind Eraser? - Forbes - August 3rd, 2020
- Racin' Today Jeff Burton Talks Loudon, TMS, Family And TV - RacinToday.com - August 3rd, 2020
- September 1, deadline to present the transfer markets of the summer of 2021 - Explica - August 3rd, 2020
- TMS Webinar puts the spotlight on Offshore Oil and Gas - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - August 3rd, 2020
- Reflecting film Market Analysis By Distribution Channel, Region And Forecast From 2020 To 2025|NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2024 -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Forecast to 2025 - Driven by Industry Major Players, Dynamics, Future Opportunities, Revenue,... - August 1st, 2020
- Research Assistant, Grant job with UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY | 215068 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 1st, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - July 31st, 2020
- Tension myositis syndrome - Wikipedia - July 31st, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - July 31st, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy ... - July 31st, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till August 31 - The Financial Express - July 31st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020-2026 scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 29th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 29th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market by Technology Innovations and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - July 29th, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till Aug 31 - Devdiscourse - July 29th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Goal.com - July 25th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Penn Medicine: Launching the Region's First Center for Translational Neuromodulation - UPENN Almanac - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 24th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: The reason so many people are stressed out right now - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 24th, 2020
- Global TMS(TRANSCRANIAL MAGNETIC STIMULATION) COIL Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 21st, 2020
- 'Dr. Stone' season 2 spoilers: TMS drops new teaser and here's what it revealed about Senku and the 'Stone Wars' arc - EconoTimes - July 21st, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 21st, 2020
- Seamount announces addition of Chassis Assets to their Drayage Fleet - DC Velocity - July 21st, 2020
- GEMoaB and Intellia Therapeutics Enter into Research Collaboration and Licensing Agreement on Next-Generation Cellular Immunotherapy Based on... - July 21st, 2020
- Shockwave Therapy Device Market Overview, Industry Top Manufactures, Market Size, Industry Growth Analysis And Forecasts 2026 |CR Bard Inc., Dornier... - July 20th, 2020
- Fans to return to TMS on Sunday for NASCAR race - Jacksonville Daily Progress - July 18th, 2020
- Press Release: Active Recovery TMS Opens Salem Clinic New Salem-Area Clinic Will Help With Treatment For Depression - The Lund Report - July 15th, 2020
- How to Solve the Digital Transportation Puzzle - FreightWaves - July 15th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020: Size, Share, Revenue, Growth, Supply, Top Companies and Forecast Research 2025 - Sports... - July 15th, 2020
- ARL Logistics Taps Trucker Tools for Smart Capacity Predictive Freight-Matching, Automated One-Click Load Booking with Book It Now - PR Web - July 15th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact On Transportation Management System (TMS) Market Projection By Latest Technology, Global Analysis, Industry Growth, Current Trends And... - July 15th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System? | Oracle - July 14th, 2020
- Frequently Asked Questions About TMS at The Johns Hopkins ... - July 14th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) | Teknowlogi - July 14th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) at The Johns ... - July 14th, 2020
- What is Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)? - July 14th, 2020
- Bonafont Launching Transplaces Advanced Software-as-a ... - July 14th, 2020
- Strategy Systems Expands Integration with Trucker Tools, adds Book It Now to TMS Platform - DC Velocity - July 14th, 2020
- Texas Motor Speedway ready to welcome fans back to the racetrack - WFAA.com - July 14th, 2020
- Global Talent Management Software (TMS) Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025| COVID-19 Impact Analysis: Cornerstone Ondemand, IBM, Lumesse, Oracle,... - July 14th, 2020
- The right tech investment at the right time pays off - FreightWaves - July 11th, 2020
- Operators back on the field with soccer tournament work - Bus & Motorcoach News - July 11th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia - June 27th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 27th, 2020
- Aiming ultrasound at the brain raises hope of new treatments - Science Magazine - June 27th, 2020
- Neuronetics Announces Appointment of Bruce J. Shook to its Board of Directors - BioSpace - June 27th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Talent Management Systems (TMS) RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 27th, 2020
- Ultrasonic Therapy Device Market 2020 Global Outlook, Research, Trends and Forecast to 2027: Dornier Medtech, EDAP TMS, Philips Healthcare - 3rd Watch... - June 27th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 23rd, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - GlobeNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 23rd, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market: Industry Size, Trends and Analysis - Jewish... - June 23rd, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020 Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 23rd, 2020
- Successful implementation of digital tools highlighted in TMS webinar - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - June 22nd, 2020
- Xillio and MittaqQI Drive Progress and Innovation with TAPICC Integration - Slator - June 22nd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT... - June 22nd, 2020
- Unexpected Halt to Season Sharpens Rossi's Appreciation for Fans - INDYCAR - June 22nd, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System (TMS ... - May 11th, 2020
- The Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market is expected to grow by $ 2049.50 million during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 8% during... - May 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Overnight Marketed Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of To - News by aeresearch - May 11th, 2020