May is Mental Health Awareness Month. For too long, men have been silent about mental health and its literally killing us. We can change that. Our Healthy Mind, Healthy Body series shines a light on mental health issues that everyone should be talking about.
According to the latest estimates, more than 300 million people worldwide are living with depression. Medication and talk therapy are effective treatments for most patients but not all.
If first-line treatments don't work, some people with depression turn to brain stimulation therapies. One such treatment is transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), which uses a pulsed magnetic field to stimulate nerve cells or neurons in the regions of the brain that regulate mood. When stimulated, the neurons release neurotransmitters like serotonin, which are otherwise depleted in people with depression.
"Serotonin is supposed to flow from the neurons to the front of brain and tell us, 'This is a happy moment!' But for a depressed person, that doesnt happen," explains Dr. Kalyan Dandala of Associated Behavioral Health Care, a network of treatment centers in the Northwest that offer NeuroStar TMS Therapy. "We're waking up that part of the brain thats been dormant."
TMS has been used for more than a decade, and was approved by the FDA in 2008. It's proven to be helpful for at least half of patients who complete several weeks of near-daily treatments, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. But it's a major time commitment and some patients experience relapses.
Benjamin*, 26, dealt with depression for years. He tried various types of medication, but none had the effects he was looking for. In March 2018, at the recommendation of his psychiatrist, Benjamin began TMS therapy. This is his story, as told to MensHealth.com news editor Jordyn Taylor. This interview has been edited for length and clarity.
It started with anxiety, actually.
It came out of nowhere. After I graduated high school, I came to Seattle to learn how to be a restaurant cook. I was surprised at how well I was handling the stress and then a couple of years later, stuff just started happening.
I was having panic attacks and feelings of, "I just can't handle this." I was working at my first restaurant job, and I can vividly remember having a mental breakdown while I was cooking during a rush. The order had all these different modifications, and I kept messing up. The anxiety kept building and building until it erupted, and I kind of lost it. I was trying to keep a calm face about it, but my coworkers could tell that something was going on. I felt embarrassed, but I had to be like, "Guys, I need help. I can't get through this."
I went to a psychiatrist, and I was given medications to help with the anxiety. I would use one, and then it would lose its magic a little bit, and we would go to something else. We tried two or three; there was one that kind of stuck, and the anxiety came into check.
But then the depression took over.
Anxiety is like, I can't handle it. Depression is more like, I don't care. The best way to describe it is just kind of wandering aimlessly through life with no enjoyment. I lost sight of myself. I couldn't really figure out who I was anymore. I wasn't enjoying the activities that made me me: I ran in high school, but I didn't want to go outside or exercise. Music was also a huge part of my high school career, but I didn't want to do anything.
I thought I was going to keep having to cycle through medications until I eventually hit the jackpot and even then, would it still have worked? I definitely had a feeling of hopelessness, like, is this going to be me forever?
There was a point when my psychiatrist left to work somewhere else. She gave me a long prescription, but after a year, I was running low on my medication, and I decided I really needed to go back to somebody.
"I definitely had a feeling of hopelessness like, is this going to be me forever?"
I was talking with my new psychiatrist about how my depression medication, Wellbutrin, hadn't been working. She was like, 'Okay, since you've tried different classes of medications and they haven't been working, I think you qualify for this new treatment.'
She starts telling me about transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy, and I start laughing because I tell her I've heard about it. I had read about TMS therapy I thought it was really cool and futuristic, but that I'd probably never do it in my lifetime.
One of my hangups was the daunting idea of going there for 30 minutes a day, five days a week, for six weeks. It's a huge commitment. But beyond that, I was excited to try it, because I liked the idea of a non-medicated treatment.
They say the first day is always the hardest, and I can truly say that is is. Normally they're 30-minute appointments, but the first appointment is an hour and a half. They need to take the time to find the area of the brain associated with depression, so they do the whole mapping process.
You're basically sitting in a dentist's chair. You have your arms on a rest, and you put your hand up: Your fingers are all spread out like you're holding a football, and then your thumb's pointed out like you're trying to hitchhike. Then they use the machine it's a coil that kind of cups the top, back part of your head to send these electromagnetic waves in. They're trying to get a reaction from your thumb. [Editor's note: the magnetic pulses are targeted at an area in the left upper part of your brain that controls your mood, which is a few centimeters in front of the area that controls your thumb.]
It feels like a tapping sensation; I joked that I want to look around and see this woodpecker sitting on the chair and poking at my head periodically. I would feel a tap, and then they would look at my thumb. If there wasn't a reaction, they moved it and tried again until they got a good one.
Next, they calibrate the starting dose for you. That part was the hardest. They administer what the treatment will be like on a certain level, and they ask you, 'Okay, how painful was this from 0 to 10?' They did it for the first time, and I'm like, 'Alright, that's 1 or 2.' They raised it up it was a 3 or 4 they raised it again 5 maybe but you know, the pain was bearable. They kept going up, and once it felt like 7 or 8, I was just like, 'Nope, that's way too much let's bring it down.'
It was also really hard because it triggered emotions for me. March 29 is when I went in there, and the whole month of March was really crappy for me and my family. You'd naturally get teary from the tapping, but I was also trying not to cry because it was bringing up all these emotions. It was a crazy trip, but what I really loved about this whole process was that from day one, the TMS specialist told me, 'We care about you and your journey through this, so we're here for you.'
The first day was incredibly tough, but it was a place of no judgement everybody was there for me. I came back the next day and started everything.
Now, I only have four treatments left. The only side effects they told me I might experience is headaches or a sensitivity in the scalp at the area of the treatment, but I felt neither.
"I knew it wasn't going to be a magical Cinderella transformation, but I definitely feel like a newer person."
Going into this, I knew it wasn't going to be a magical Cinderella transformation, but I definitely feel like a newer person. In the beginning, I started feeling more moments of happiness, but there were also some days where I didn't know if it was working or not but it could have been the depression talking. It really took a lot of my closest friends and family to start noticing these differences. I talk with my dad, and he's like, "Your demeanor has changed. You just sound happier." My best friend at work, she's like, "Yeah, you just look better even as far as your posture goes, just the way you carry yourself." I'm feeling like myself again.
After these treatments, I feel like I'm more connected with myself and the world around me, and I can truly say that I'm happy with myself. I like me. It took a long time to get to that point, because throughout depression, I kind of hated myself. I hated life, and I hated who I was. Now I have a lot more clarity I'm even thinking about my future.
Interestingly enough, Ive been entertaining the idea of going into the mental health field. I don't know exactly what I'd do, but I just like the idea of helping people with depression or other mental illnesses. I want to give people the hope that I was given to tell people its okay, this isnt a forever thing. You can overcome this.
*Last name has been withheld to allow subject to speak freely on private matters.
Share your own moment of #HowIGotHelp and let your voice inspire other men. For more information on how to get help for anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues, please check out our list of resources. If you would like to locate treatment services in your area, call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Treatment Referral Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).
This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io
This commenting section is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. You may be able to find more information on their web site.
See the original post here:
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - December 17th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - December 17th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia - December 17th, 2020
- Global TMS Therapy Market to 2025 - by Manufacturers, Regions, Technology and Application - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2020
- TMS Therapy Global Market Insights (2020 to 2025) - Analysis and Forecasts - Yahoo Finance - December 17th, 2020
- What The Heck Is TMS TherapyAnd Is It A Legit Treatment For Depression? - Scary Mommy - December 17th, 2020
- TMS clubs bring the enthusiasm | Education | tetonvalleynews.net - Teton Valley News - December 17th, 2020
- Terminal Management System Tms Market Massive Demand, with Smart Key Players By 2026 Abb, Honeywell International, Inc, Rockwell Automation, Inc -... - December 17th, 2020
- BluJay and FourKites renew partnership to provide increased value to joint customers - theloadstar.com - December 17th, 2020
- TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Share Analysis and Research - News by aeresearch - September 8th, 2020
- The TMS Round-Up: Our Favorite Cinematic Vacation Spots - The Mary Sue - September 8th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Transportation and Logistics Software Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2028 with Top Players Like TMW,... - September 8th, 2020
- The Breaking, Known News TMS Therapy for Depression Works - PsychCentral.com - September 4th, 2020
- Column: CNV-X Capstone Project the effects of Alzheimer's and how TMS can help - Los Angeles Times - September 4th, 2020
- Logistics Matters podcast: Philip Evers of the University of Maryland on what's ahead for the US Postal Service | S1 E21 | 2020-08-28 - DC Velocity - September 4th, 2020
- Fast Three: Would You WFH Permanently?, Treating Depression in Pottstown, and Racing Ducks for Cash - The Sanatoga Post - September 4th, 2020
- INTERVIEW: Judy Reyes Talked With Us About the Importance of All Together Now - The Mary Sue - September 4th, 2020
- Technology promotes transparency in transportation, shipping | 2020-08-27 - DC Velocity - September 2nd, 2020
- TAIJI Medical Supplies Inc., a US PPE Manufacturer, Announces Expansion of Manufacturing Capacity Amid Expected Surge of COVID-19 and Influenza Cases... - September 2nd, 2020
- Global High-intensity Focused Ultrasound Therapy Market 2020-2026 | EDAP TMS, SonaCare Medical, Theraclion, ILJIN Holdings, FUS Instruments - NJ MMA... - September 2nd, 2020
- C.H. Robinson heralds integration of 19 TMS and ERP providers into its Navisphere offering - Logistics Management - September 1st, 2020
- Global Impact of Covid-19 on Prostate Cancer Devices Market to Record Significant Revenue Growth During the Forecast Period 20202025 | Galil Medical,... - September 1st, 2020
- Innovative Report on High Intensity Focused Ultrasound Market 2020 Major Players: Chongqing Haifu Medical Technology, Philips Healthcare, Insightec,... - September 1st, 2020
- Which Pokmon To Use Elite Charged TMs On In Pokmon GO - Bleeding Cool News - August 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Reports Second Quarter Financial Results With Resilient Performance Through the COVID-19 Pandemic - Business Wire - August 11th, 2020
- FLORIDA TMS CLINIC Offers The Best TMS Therapy In The Tampa Bay Area - Press Release - Digital Journal - August 11th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 sets sights on simplifying TMS integration - FreightWaves - August 11th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc's Half-Yearly Report H1 2020 - Yahoo Finance - August 11th, 2020
- Scientists Have Found A Way To Erase Your Worst Fears: What If It Could Amp Up Career Success? - Forbes - August 11th, 2020
- Road construction work underway in Weyburn region - Weyburn Review - August 11th, 2020
- TruckingOffice Integrates TMS with ELD for Seamless Dispatcher Trucker Workflow - PR Web - August 10th, 2020
- Inter-Language Vector Space - Unlocking the Secrets of Language - Slator - August 10th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market Size and Status 2020 Outlook and Forecast to 2026 - eRealty Express - August 10th, 2020
- England v Pakistan: talking points from a thrilling first Test - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- High time to fully appreciate the all-round value of Chris Woakes - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- Talent Management Software (TMS) Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - Owned - August 10th, 2020
- If You Had Bought EDAP TMS' (NASDAQ:EDAP) Shares Five Years Ago You Would Be Down 12% - Yahoo Finance - August 10th, 2020
- Tension myositis syndrome - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Benzinga - August 8th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market is Projected to Expand at a Steady CAGR over the Forecast by 2025 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- World TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Industry: A Latest Research Report to Share Market Insights and Dynamics - Bulletin Line - August 8th, 2020
- TMS Webinar puts the spotlight on Offshore Oil and Gas - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - August 8th, 2020
- Edited Transcript of GTMS.TO earnings conference call or presentation 5-Aug-20 2:00pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 8th, 2020
- RedwoodConnect 2.0 Sets Sights On Simplifying TMS Integration - Yahoo Finance - August 7th, 2020
- Alternative Treatment for Depression: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) - LVHN News - August 5th, 2020
- Alpega Partners with project44 to Deliver Advanced Visibility in North America and Europe - Business Wire - August 5th, 2020
- Science Is Inching Closer To Modifying Our Memories Are We Ready For The Mind Eraser? - Forbes - August 5th, 2020
- September 1, deadline to present the transfer markets of the summer of 2021 - Explica - August 5th, 2020
- Rising Demand in TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Growth Analysis and Key Business Strategies 2026 - Owned - August 4th, 2020
- EKA and FreightWaves Announce Channel Partner Collaboration to Deliver Most Current Freight Data and Insights to Supply Chain Customers - The Herald... - August 4th, 2020
- Shockwave Therapy Device Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Boston Scientific Corporation, CR Bard Inc. -... - August 4th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 on Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market Overview with Detailed Analysis, Competitive Landscape & Forecast To 2024 -... - August 4th, 2020
- Mental Wellness with MindPath: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Depression and OCD - WTVD-TV - August 3rd, 2020
- Nashville NeuroCare Therapy Marks 10-Year Milestone in TMS Therapy for the Treatment of Depression - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- Pokmon: 5 TMs You Can Buy That Are Absolutely Not Worth The Money (& 5 That Are) - TheGamer - August 3rd, 2020
- Racin' Today Jeff Burton Talks Loudon, TMS, Family And TV - RacinToday.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Reflecting film Market Analysis By Distribution Channel, Region And Forecast From 2020 To 2025|NIPPA, TOYOBO, TMS, Mitsubishi, Esopp Group, etc -... - August 3rd, 2020
- Talent Management Systems (TMS) Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - August 3rd, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Forecast to 2025 - Driven by Industry Major Players, Dynamics, Future Opportunities, Revenue,... - August 1st, 2020
- Research Assistant, Grant job with UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY | 215068 - Times Higher Education (THE) - August 1st, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) Therapy ... - July 31st, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till August 31 - The Financial Express - July 31st, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020-2026 scrutinized in the new analysis - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - July 29th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: Getting help with the stress of uncertainty during a pandemic - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 29th, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market by Technology Innovations and Growth 2020 to 2027 - Bulletin Line - July 29th, 2020
- Sebi allows acceptance of client securities as collateral by way of title transfer till Aug 31 - Devdiscourse - July 29th, 2020
- Global TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trend and Forecast to 2025 - Red & Black... - July 25th, 2020
- Neurostimulation may herald a new treatment for depression - The Conversation CA - July 25th, 2020
- Racin' Today Dillon Answers 'Haters' With Victory In Texas - RacinToday.com - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Goal.com - July 25th, 2020
- For those in Salem with depression, new clinic provides another resource for treatment - Salem Reporter - July 25th, 2020
- Penn Medicine: Launching the Region's First Center for Translational Neuromodulation - UPENN Almanac - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Fifa gives Safa the power to extend the 2019-20 PSL season - Yahoo Sports - July 24th, 2020
- Your Healthy Family: The reason so many people are stressed out right now - KOAA.com Colorado Springs and Pueblo News - July 24th, 2020
- Global TMS(TRANSCRANIAL MAGNETIC STIMULATION) COIL Market 2020 to 2025: Industry Scope of the Research - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - July 21st, 2020
- 'Dr. Stone' season 2 spoilers: TMS drops new teaser and here's what it revealed about Senku and the 'Stone Wars' arc - EconoTimes - July 21st, 2020
- Mauritius club fined for not doing the TMS paperwork - Inside World Football - July 21st, 2020
- Seamount announces addition of Chassis Assets to their Drayage Fleet - DC Velocity - July 21st, 2020
- GEMoaB and Intellia Therapeutics Enter into Research Collaboration and Licensing Agreement on Next-Generation Cellular Immunotherapy Based on... - July 21st, 2020