In 2018, more than 1 trillion packages were delivered in the U.S. alone. With so much business at stake, shipping and logistics companies must innovate to separate themselves from the competition. In this pedal-to-the-metal environment, technology is one way to stay ahead of the packand its one that Old Dominion has embraced.
ELECTRONIC LOGGING DATA
Old Dominion is whats known as a less-than-truckload (LTL) carrier, which means it picks up shipments from one customer and consolidates that merchandise with freight from other companies headed to the same destination. To improve and prepare for the increased need of tracking and traceability, Old Dominion adopted Automatic Onboard Recording Device technology in 2010, seven years before the U.S. Department of Transportation mandated compliance. Today, the company has upgraded to Electronic Logging Devices (ELD) and has taken in-truck technology further by gleaning diagnostic information from the trucks engine in real time, so that the driver is alerted to a maintenance need before it becomes a problem. We find more benefits from ELD than just the electronic logging piece of it, says Barry Craver, Old Dominions VP of business process and innovation When were being more proactive with this technology were able to provide better service to our customers.
New safety features afforded by ELD result not only in lower costs for its customers, but also allow Old Dominion to reinvest the money it saves back into its network, thereby ensuring an even smoother delivery process. The data speaks for itself: Old Dominions 99.7% plus on-time delivery rate leads the industry.
5G AND IOT
When Old Dominion workers are eventually connected with high-speed, 5G-compatible smartphones, they will be able to better track and trace information. This will allow them, for example, to notify customers that their shipment will be the seventh delivery on that days route while providing real-time updates on the estimated time of arrival. The increase in speed at which [5G] smartphones can operate will increase the capabilities of businesses to service their customers, says Craver, adding that recipients will be able to receive text updates or use the companys app to track delivery.
IoT technology is where it all comes together. Sensors on trucks and wearable devices on drivers use radio frequency identification (RFID) technology to provide in-transit status of every shipment without the time-consuming act of scanning each barcode. In addition, vision- and image-recognition apps provide mobile data capture to optimize inventory, improve shipping and receiving, and track and trace workflows. A recent development in the industry is whats known as a just in time delivery process, whereby the products being shipped are constantly moving from truck to truckcalled cross-dockingrather than being held at a distribution center waiting for the next pickup. IoT helps better manage the product inventory by automating the order process, as well as slowing down or speeding up the delivery flow.
Smartphones utilizing augmented reality can help loading-dock workers sort freight and load the truck in the safest and most efficient way. They can also help locate an item that requires special handling or indicate to an employee when the delivery instructions have been changed. I think humans find it hard to sift through all of that data and make sense of it, Craver says. But with IoT youre going to see more predictive things taking place because [the ability] to process that information will help workers see similarities and the anomalies of the supply chain.
SECURITY IN THE CLOUD
A cloud-based supply-chain transportation-management system (TMS) gives businesses the capability to electronically integrate and transmit data securely over the internet. A TMS can be customizable, allowing users to collaborate in real time, and it offers the ability to add features or criteria as well as replacing ones that are no longer used. A cloud TMS also serves as a one-stop destination to schedule and set deadlines, as well as manage quality control while being sensitive to the bottom line. This is especially important for small and midsize businesses (SMBs) that dont have dedicated supply-chain departments. Since employees at SMBs often wear many hats, a TMS helps level the playing field with larger competitors by increasing shipping efficiencies so that their products are delivered on time.
The requirement from a cost and technology perspective when implementing an on-site software solution is nowhere near what it used to be, Craver says. You can just get on the internet, sign up with a TMS, and youre ready to go.
In the near future, when blockchain technology is implemented across an entire supply chain, the company will be able to trace the history of an item, starting from where and when it was manufactured to the particulars of how that item was assembled. This precise ledger can then be used to track when an item arrives in a warehouse and when it gets ordered. In such a scenario, once Old Dominion took possession of a package, the company could accurately track when the item was shipped and its subsequent movement.
Blockchain will also allow shippers to dig deeper into an items history to identify manufacturing failures and track them back to a particular lot or order. If, say, the item was recalled, shippers would be able to help determine a strategy to remedy the defect, what type of warranty has to be processed, and what decisions need to be made to satisfy the customer.
Craver sees blockchain having its greatest potential in the food-transportation sector, in which the prompt delivery of perishable goods is essential. Well be able to track that particular item to what farm it was grown on or what plant it is from, he says, adding that, once the technology is implemented at scale (estimates range from five to ten years), the cost benefits can be enormous. Rather than having to search for a larger lot because were not really sure where it originated, well be able to be more precise, which benefits not only the manufacturer but our customers too.
This article was created for and commissioned by Old Dominion.
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - May 11th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System (TMS ... - May 11th, 2020
- The Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market is expected to grow by $ 2049.50 million during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 8% during... - May 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Overnight Marketed Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of To - News by aeresearch - May 11th, 2020
- Texas Governor Greg Abbott and TMS issue statement on Genesys 300 - Speedway Digest - May 11th, 2020
- BBC TMS star Isa Guha reveals she peed in a cup on open-top bus tour celebrating famous 2005 Ashes win - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Nexstim Plc to host Webinars to Present a Business Update and Information about the Rights Issue 2020 - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact on Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Share, Opportunities, SWOT Analysis and Forecast-2026 - Press... - May 11th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2020 Financial Results on May 13, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Florida TMS Clinic Offering Copay Waiver for Those Suffering from Depression and Anxiety Affected by COVID-19 - MENAFN.COM - May 1st, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 1st, 2020
- Global Toll Management System (TMS) Market With Positive Long-Term Growth Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pokemon GO Elite TM: Best Moves to Teach Pokemon - Heavy.com - May 1st, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Associated Press - March 25th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 25th, 2020
- GTreasury Supports New Survey of Corporate Treasurers That Gathers Industry Response Data to the COVID-19 Pandemic - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- Strategy Analytics: Coronavirus Expected to Add 5% to Global Video-on-Demand Subscriptions In 2020 - Business Wire - March 25th, 2020
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - March 25th, 2020
- Neuronetics Hits Major Milestones with More Than 2.5 Million Treatments and 1000 Installations of Its NeuroStar Advanced Therapy System -... - March 16th, 2020
- TMS Red Team ups record to 6-0 | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Gallery Systems Unveils TMS Collections 2020, the Most Powerful Release of its Online Collections Management Software, to Help Museums Manage Their... - March 16th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) MarMarket 2020 with Top Companies, Growth Factors and Development Estimation up to 2025 - NJ MMA News - March 16th, 2020
- US$2.68: That's What Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc. Is Worth After Its Latest Results - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Why Did You Move Your Hand Just Now? Linking Free Will and Movement - The Great Courses Daily News - March 16th, 2020
- Student of the week: The Marin Schools Marissa Ahuncain - Marin Independent Journal - March 16th, 2020
- [Major Update] TMS Confirms, Dr Stone Season 2: What will be the story story arc tell us? Release Date ... - Union Journalism - March 16th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And... - March 16th, 2020
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX Shiny Pokemon: where to find and how to catch shinies - RPG Site - March 16th, 2020
- 7 Takeaways From REWIRED, An inewsource Investigation - KPBS - February 24th, 2020
- Global transportation management systems (TMS) market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 13.4% over the forecast period from 2018-2024 - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Author talk leads to TMS anti-bullying club - Teton Valley News - February 24th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc 2019 Full Year Results - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Best informative report on Cyber- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market is growing rapidly with provides detailed profile - Keep Reading - February 24th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Size 2020-2025: Why It Is Important? and Key Manufacturers| MAG & More , Magstim , MagVenture -... - February 24th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan should 'do the right thing' and withdraw TMs - World Intellectual Property Review - February 24th, 2020
- The Morning Show: From Reality To The Screen - Old Gold & Black - February 24th, 2020
- 3Gtms Announces Additions to Board of Directors - Yahoo Finance - January 24th, 2020
- project44 and BluJay Solutions announce new partnership with a focus on visibility - Logistics Management - January 24th, 2020
- Looking back at 2019 in the Tonganoxie community - The Mirror - January 5th, 2020
- Time to move on: How to rework Pokemon Gos TM system - Pokemon GO Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Rita Oras 4th Talent Show Judging Gig Just ANOTHER Cash Grab? - Talent Recap - January 5th, 2020
- These Breakthroughs Made the 2010s the Decade of the Brain - Singularity Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (Tms): Market 2019 Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in The Upcoming Year to Expand its Size in Overseas Market... - December 31st, 2019
- Read This If You're Considering Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 31st, 2019
- Digitizing Transportation Processes: A Win/Win for Shippers and Carriers | 2019-12-06 - SupplyChainBrain - December 31st, 2019
- Outlook on the World's $1+ Billion Tumor Ablation Market, 2019-2024 - Minimally Invasive (MI) Procedures are Gaining Widespread Preference -... - December 31st, 2019
- The Morning Show Season Finale Recap: Cut the Feed - Vulture - December 27th, 2019
- ConnectToBrain: The dynamics of the brain - SciTech Europa - December 27th, 2019
- Hedge Funds Have Never Been This Bullish On EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) - Yahoo Finance - December 27th, 2019
- New Security Scanning Technology Looks To Expand In Cincinnati Area Businesses, Government, Schools - WVXU - December 27th, 2019
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends and Outlook 2020 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- This Year's 4 Most Mind-Boggling Stories About the Brain - Singularity Hub - December 27th, 2019
- New kid on the block | easter 2019 - BerthoudSurveyor.com - November 13th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - November 13th, 2019
- November 2019 LM Viewpoint: Transformation starts with the basics - Logistics Management - November 13th, 2019
- Real-Life Telepathy Is Closer Than You Think - The Daily Beast - November 13th, 2019
- Sullivan takes over TMS wrestling program | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - October 28th, 2019
- TMS projects aim to bring bullying to a halt - Tahlequah Daily Press - October 28th, 2019
- TMS Busy in the Shetland Islands, Toft Pier Development in Full Swing - Dredging Today - October 28th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Tand D.com - October 28th, 2019
- Previewing the NASCAR playoffs at Texas Motor Speedway: The contenders, their success on remaining tracks and more - The Dallas Morning News - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Third Quarter and Nine Months 2019 Financial Results on Wednesday, November 13, 2019 - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2019
- How the UK investment landscape is helping alleviate NHS load on mental health - BQ Live - October 28th, 2019
- EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) estimated to achieve average price target of $5.72 - Market Seat - October 28th, 2019
- Mexican carrier TMS partners with Fr8Hub - American Journal of Transportation - October 15th, 2019
- Changes in the Nexstim Plcs Board - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Fr8Hub CEO Ohad Axelrod to Discuss US-Mexico Cross-Border Trade at Journal of Commerce Inland Conference - Yahoo Finance - October 15th, 2019
- Welcome to the Shiny New Mary Sue - The Mary Sue - October 15th, 2019
- TMS Motor Spares Ltd - March 13th, 2019
- TMS - Welcome to TMS - January 9th, 2019
- TMS - Wholesale - November 23rd, 2018
- Temecula Middle School - Official Site - July 15th, 2018
- TMS Engineering - Home - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Therapy Center of Tulsa - Cutting Edge Depression ... - May 24th, 2018
- TMS Worldwide A belgian company operating worldwide! - May 24th, 2018