inewsource published a two-part investigation last week called REWIRED. The stories detail an experimental brain treatment, a Navy SEALs psychotic break and an internal investigation at the University of California San Diego, one of the countrys top research institutions.
Since the articles are lengthy, we compiled the top seven takeaways from the investigation for the TL;DR crowd.
The only thing you need to know going in: TMS stands for transcranial magnetic stimulation, a relatively new medical treatment that uses electromagnetism to affect the brain. Clinical trials have shown TMS is effective in battling major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and migraines.
Thats all. So without further ado:
Former Navy SEAL John Surmont turned to Dr. Kevin Murphy, at the time a UC San Diego vice-chancellor, to treat his traumatic brain injury and PTSD. Murphy used a personalized version of TMS that isnt scientifically proven to be effective. Surmont felt the treatment was helping at first but later began showing signs of mania, like singing loudly at inappropriate times and exhibiting abnormally high energy.
Murphy supervised at least 234 personalized TMS treatments given to Surmont. Eventually, the veterans manic symptoms became so bad that he self-admitted to the San Diego VA psychiatric ward. After discharge, Surmont went on a weeks-long breaking-and-entering spree in Los Angeles where he thought he was on a covert military mission that resulted in several arrests and years of court hearings.
Murphy said he continued to treat Surmont even as his manic symptoms worsened because these people are sick, my friend. What are you supposed to do, stop treating someone?
A UCSD whistleblower complaint prompted the UC Presidents Office to investigate whether Murphy used a $10 million university gift to enrich his private businesses. Murphy denies this, though he acknowledges he wasnt great at inventory or auditing.
The $10 million was supposed to be used for Murphy to research his experimental brain treatment, but all that research has been suspended while the investigation continues. University officials wont talk to us until the investigation is complete, but they expect to wrap it up shortly.
Murphys unique version of TMS involves taking readings of patients brainwaves to offer each person a customized treatment. The doctor said hes treated thousands of patients this way who suffer from autism, cerebral palsy, depression, anxiety, ADHD, PTSD, sleep disorders and a bad golf swing all to great results. He claims his treatment is effective on more than 90% of his patients and that it works better than traditional TMS, which doesnt incorporate a patients brainwaves into the treatment.
However, there is no clinical trial or published research supporting Murphys claims. Experts we spoke with were concerned that Murphy was misleading patients, especially vulnerable people who may be willing to try anything if they think it might help with a debilitating condition.
The U.S. Special Operations Command, which oversees the Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force special operations, is expected to soon begin testing Murphys treatment on military personnel to examine its effects on human performance.
Murphys private company, PeakLogic, signed a contract with SOCOM that gives the federal agency the ability to test how Murphys treatment improves symptoms experienced by military personnel who suffer from chronic pain, a SOCOM spokesman said. It will take place at the Air Force Research Laboratory and Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
UCSD policy requires its faculty and staff to get approval from the university when conducting outside research, but Murphy told us he never went through that process because its his private company engaging in research not him. University policy applies to all faculty research and doesnt contain an exemption for private businesses.
While Murphy was opening his private businesses devoted to his version of TMS, he struck up a relationship with Michael McDermott, who was then the chief counsel of the UCSD health system. McDermotts job was to give campus health officials legal advice.
We looked through business filings and found McDermott was a corporate officer for one of Murphys nonprofits and one of his companies while working at UCSD. McDermott also managed a company that contracted with Murphys TMS clinic in exchange for 15% of its revenue. The attorney never listed those business interests on university disclosure forms during his two-year tenure.
During the internal UC investigation, Murphy frequently cited McDermott as proof that he did nothing wrong: The doctor was working with a university lawyer as he opened and grew his businesses, so he figured he had UCSDs approval.
In 2016, Murphy pitched a study to the San Diego VA to test how effective his treatment is for patients with PTSD. Murphys research proposal included details of a previous study he said hed performed, along with data and charts.
The data and charts were not Murphys: He took them from a competitors study and kept the language verbatim throughout sections of his proposal, except he substituted the name of their treatment for his.
This is what would be considered by scientific professionals to be plagiarized material, an expert told us. (You can read Murphys explanation for what happened here.)
Many of the things Murphy told us over 13 hours of interviews werent supported by evidence or were incorrect.
For example, Murphy claimed that in the six months leading up to Surmonts psychotic break, the veteran was homeless, doing drugs on the streets of Los Angeles and hadnt shown up for treatment. When we presented the doctor with evidence disproving each of those statements, he told us his previous claims were based on his personal belief or opinion, along with the fact that he sees thousands of patients and cant be responsible for remembering the history of each.
As for the UC investigation, Murphy claims more than a dozen people at the university who had a hand in overseeing the $10 million gift for his research, or worked with him to set up his companies, or worked for him to manage his funds, were incompetent or so jealous of his success that they wanted to see him fail. We couldnt verify most of those claims.
Im on the bleeding edge of this, Murphy said. And so everyones shooting arrows in my back, going, Stop him. Stop his research. Whistleblower him. We want this. Sue him. Make him look bad. Whatever it takes. Because this is really a big deal.
Aired 2/20/20 on KPBS News
Listen to part one of this story by Brad Racino.
Aired 2/20/20 on KPBS News
Listen to part two of this story by Jill Castellano.
KPBS' daily news podcast covering local politics, education, health, environment, the border and more. New episodes are ready weekday mornings so you can listen on your morning commute.
KPBS Midday Edition is a daily radio news magazine keeping San Diego in the know on everything from politics to the arts.
To view PDF documents, Download Acrobat Reader.
Read more from the original source:
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Mayo Clinic - June 27th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System? | Oracle - June 27th, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation - Wikipedia - June 27th, 2020
- Tension myositis syndrome - Wikipedia - June 27th, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - DC Velocity - June 27th, 2020
- Aiming ultrasound at the brain raises hope of new treatments - Science Magazine - June 27th, 2020
- Neuronetics Announces Appointment of Bruce J. Shook to its Board of Directors - BioSpace - June 27th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Talent Management Systems (TMS) RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 27th, 2020
- Ultrasonic Therapy Device Market 2020 Global Outlook, Research, Trends and Forecast to 2027: Dornier Medtech, EDAP TMS, Philips Healthcare - 3rd Watch... - June 27th, 2020
- Coupa acquires BELLIN, targeting treasury management (Part 2: TMS Market, Competitors and TAM / Market-Sizing Considerations) - Spend Matters - June 23rd, 2020
- Archerhub Launches ALVUS TMS to help Carrier Partners Grow their Businesses - GlobeNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- Axele TMS allows small, midsize FTL carriers to improve load planning and communications, increase profit - The Trucker - June 23rd, 2020
- Addressing the potential impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on TMS Neuronavigation Systems Market: Industry Size, Trends and Analysis - Jewish... - June 23rd, 2020
- Interview: Steve Guttenberg on Into the Dark's Good Boy, Home for the Holidays, and His Craft - The Mary Sue - June 23rd, 2020
- Transportation Management System (TMS) Market 2020 Analysis, Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 23rd, 2020
- Successful implementation of digital tools highlighted in TMS webinar - Latest Maritime & Shipping News Online - The Maritime Standard - June 22nd, 2020
- Xillio and MittaqQI Drive Progress and Innovation with TAPICC Integration - Slator - June 22nd, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT... - June 22nd, 2020
- Unexpected Halt to Season Sharpens Rossi's Appreciation for Fans - INDYCAR - June 22nd, 2020
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS): Hope for stubborn ... - May 11th, 2020
- What is a Transportation Management System (TMS ... - May 11th, 2020
- The Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market is expected to grow by $ 2049.50 million during 2020-2024 progressing at a CAGR of 8% during... - May 11th, 2020
- Greenbrook TMS Announces Overnight Marketed Offering of Common Shares - Business Wire - May 11th, 2020
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulators (TMS) Market 2020; Region Wise Analysis of To - News by aeresearch - May 11th, 2020
- Texas Governor Greg Abbott and TMS issue statement on Genesys 300 - Speedway Digest - May 11th, 2020
- BBC TMS star Isa Guha reveals she peed in a cup on open-top bus tour celebrating famous 2005 Ashes win - The Sun - May 11th, 2020
- Nexstim Plc to host Webinars to Present a Business Update and Information about the Rights Issue 2020 - GlobeNewswire - May 11th, 2020
- COVID-19 impact on Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market 2020 Trends, Share, Opportunities, SWOT Analysis and Forecast-2026 - Press... - May 11th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce First Quarter 2020 Financial Results on May 13, 2020 - Yahoo Finance - May 11th, 2020
- Florida TMS Clinic Offering Copay Waiver for Those Suffering from Depression and Anxiety Affected by COVID-19 - MENAFN.COM - May 1st, 2020
- Pokmon GOs Elite TMs Arrive And Shake Up The Meta Movesets - TheGamer - May 1st, 2020
- Global Toll Management System (TMS) Market With Positive Long-Term Growth Outlook 2020-2025 - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 1st, 2020
- Treasury Management System (TMS) Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - May 1st, 2020
- Pokemon GO Elite TM: Best Moves to Teach Pokemon - Heavy.com - May 1st, 2020
- BrainsWay Reports Fourth Quarter and Full-Year 2019 Financial Results and Operational Highlights - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- EDAP TMS SA to Announce Fourth Quarter and Year Ended December 31, 2019 Financial Results on Monday, March 30, 2020 - Associated Press - March 25th, 2020
- VIDEO: What is TMS-65U? Soviet-era MiG-15 fighter jet engine powered special vehicle deployed by Russia to battle coronavirus in Italy - International... - March 25th, 2020
- GTreasury Supports New Survey of Corporate Treasurers That Gathers Industry Response Data to the COVID-19 Pandemic - Yahoo Finance - March 25th, 2020
- Strategy Analytics: Coronavirus Expected to Add 5% to Global Video-on-Demand Subscriptions In 2020 - Business Wire - March 25th, 2020
- When Should You Buy EDAP TMS S.A. (NASDAQ:EDAP)? - Simply Wall St - March 25th, 2020
- Neuronetics Hits Major Milestones with More Than 2.5 Million Treatments and 1000 Installations of Its NeuroStar Advanced Therapy System -... - March 16th, 2020
- TMS Red Team ups record to 6-0 | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - March 16th, 2020
- Gallery Systems Unveils TMS Collections 2020, the Most Powerful Release of its Online Collections Management Software, to Help Museums Manage Their... - March 16th, 2020
- Global Transportation Management Systems (TMS) MarMarket 2020 with Top Companies, Growth Factors and Development Estimation up to 2025 - NJ MMA News - March 16th, 2020
- US$2.68: That's What Analysts Think Greenbrook TMS Inc. Is Worth After Its Latest Results - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Why Did You Move Your Hand Just Now? Linking Free Will and Movement - The Great Courses Daily News - March 16th, 2020
- Student of the week: The Marin Schools Marissa Ahuncain - Marin Independent Journal - March 16th, 2020
- [Major Update] TMS Confirms, Dr Stone Season 2: What will be the story story arc tell us? Release Date ... - Union Journalism - March 16th, 2020
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Industry Market Report 2020: Size, Trends, Competitive Analysis, Types, Applications, Manufactures And... - March 16th, 2020
- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX Shiny Pokemon: where to find and how to catch shinies - RPG Site - March 16th, 2020
- Global transportation management systems (TMS) market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 13.4% over the forecast period from 2018-2024 - Benzinga - February 24th, 2020
- Author talk leads to TMS anti-bullying club - Teton Valley News - February 24th, 2020
- Notice of Nexstim Plc 2019 Full Year Results - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Best informative report on Cyber- Terminal Management System (TMS) Market is growing rapidly with provides detailed profile - Keep Reading - February 24th, 2020
- TMS(Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) Coil Market Size 2020-2025: Why It Is Important? and Key Manufacturers| MAG & More , Magstim , MagVenture -... - February 24th, 2020
- Harry and Meghan should 'do the right thing' and withdraw TMs - World Intellectual Property Review - February 24th, 2020
- The Morning Show: From Reality To The Screen - Old Gold & Black - February 24th, 2020
- 3Gtms Announces Additions to Board of Directors - Yahoo Finance - January 24th, 2020
- project44 and BluJay Solutions announce new partnership with a focus on visibility - Logistics Management - January 24th, 2020
- Looking back at 2019 in the Tonganoxie community - The Mirror - January 5th, 2020
- Time to move on: How to rework Pokemon Gos TM system - Pokemon GO Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Rita Oras 4th Talent Show Judging Gig Just ANOTHER Cash Grab? - Talent Recap - January 5th, 2020
- These Breakthroughs Made the 2010s the Decade of the Brain - Singularity Hub - January 5th, 2020
- Transportation Management System (Tms): Market 2019 Will Generate New Growth Opportunities in The Upcoming Year to Expand its Size in Overseas Market... - December 31st, 2019
- Read This If You're Considering Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - Yahoo Lifestyle - December 31st, 2019
- Digitizing Transportation Processes: A Win/Win for Shippers and Carriers | 2019-12-06 - SupplyChainBrain - December 31st, 2019
- Outlook on the World's $1+ Billion Tumor Ablation Market, 2019-2024 - Minimally Invasive (MI) Procedures are Gaining Widespread Preference -... - December 31st, 2019
- The Morning Show Season Finale Recap: Cut the Feed - Vulture - December 27th, 2019
- ConnectToBrain: The dynamics of the brain - SciTech Europa - December 27th, 2019
- Hedge Funds Have Never Been This Bullish On EDAP TMS S.A. (EDAP) - Yahoo Finance - December 27th, 2019
- New Security Scanning Technology Looks To Expand In Cincinnati Area Businesses, Government, Schools - WVXU - December 27th, 2019
- Transportation Management Systems (TMS) Market Share Growing Rapidly with Recent Trends and Outlook 2020 2027 - Market Research Sheets - December 27th, 2019
- This Year's 4 Most Mind-Boggling Stories About the Brain - Singularity Hub - December 27th, 2019
- New kid on the block | easter 2019 - BerthoudSurveyor.com - November 13th, 2019
- ORANGEBURG PROPERTY TRANSFERS - The Times and Democrat - November 13th, 2019
- November 2019 LM Viewpoint: Transformation starts with the basics - Logistics Management - November 13th, 2019
- Real-Life Telepathy Is Closer Than You Think - The Daily Beast - November 13th, 2019
- Sullivan takes over TMS wrestling program | Local Sports - Tullahoma News and Guardian - October 28th, 2019
- TMS projects aim to bring bullying to a halt - Tahlequah Daily Press - October 28th, 2019