Definition: A supercomputer is the fastest computer in the world that can process a significant amount of data very quickly. The computing Performance of a "supercomputer" is measured very high as compared to a general purpose computer. The computing Performance of a supercomputer is measured in FLOPS (that is floating-point operations per second) instead of MIPS. The supercomputer consists of tens of thousands of processors which can perform billions and trillions of calculations per second, or you can say that supercomputers can deliver up to nearly a hundred quadrillions of FLOPS.
They have evolved from grid to cluster system of massively parallel computing. Cluster system computing means that machine uses multiple processors in one system instead of arrays of separate computers in a network.
These computers are most massive concerning size. A most powerful supercomputer can occupy few feet to hundreds of feet. The supercomputer price is very high, and they can vary from 2 lakh dollar to over 100 million dollars.
Supercomputers were introduced in the 1960s and developed by Seymour Cray with the Atlas at the University of Manchester. The Cray designed CDC 1604 which was the first supercomputer in the world, and it replaces vacuum tube with transistors.
The fastest supercomputer in the world was the Sunway TaihuLight, in the city of Wixu in China which is developed by Chinas National Research center of Parallel Computer Engineering & Technology (NRCPC), maintains its number 1 ranking for the first time, with a High-Performance Linpack(HPL) mark of 93.01 petaflops.
They can support more than a hundred users at a time.
These machines are capable of handling the massive amount of calculations that are beyond the human capabilities, i.e., the human is unable to solve such extensive calculations.
Many individuals can access supercomputers at the same time.
These are the most expensive computers that can ever be made.
They have more than 1 CPU (Central Processing Unit) which contains instructions so that it can interpret instructions and execute arithmetic and logical operations.
The supercomputer can support extremely high computation speed of CPUs.
They can operate on pairs of lists of numbers instead of pairs of numbers.
They were used initially in applications related to national security, nuclear weapon design, and cryptography. But nowadays they are also employed by the aerospace, automotive and petroleum industries.
Supercomputers are not used for everyday tasks because of their superiority.
Supercomputer handles those applications, which required the real-time processing. The uses are as follows:
They're used for scientific simulations and research such as weather forecasting, meteorology, nuclear energy research, physics, and chemistry, as well as for extremely complex animated graphics. They are also used to interpret new diseases and predict illness behavior and treatment.
The military uses supercomputers for testing new aircrafts, tanks, and weapons. They also use them to understand the effect on soldiers and wars. These machines are also used for encrypting the data.
Scientists use them to test the impact of nuclear weapon detonation.
Hollywood uses supercomputers for the creation of animations.
In entertainment, supercomputers are used for online gaming.
Supercomputers help in stabilizing the game performance when a lot of users are playing the game.
Besides raw speed, one big difference between a supercomputer and a mainframe is that a mainframe serves many people at once or runs several programs concurrently, whereas a supercomputer funnels its power into executing a few programs at high speeds. Mainframes are mostly used for large data storage and manipulation tasks, not for computationally-intensive tasks.
See the original post here:
- Wyoming Supercomputer Upgrade Will Make It One Of Top 25 Fastest In The World - Wyoming Public Media - February 7th, 2021
- Team Led by PPPL Physicist Wins Major Supercomputer Time to Help Develop Fusion Energy - HPCwire - February 7th, 2021
- Super Bowl 2021: What time is the game, how to watch Bucs vs. Chiefs on CBS for free - CNET - February 7th, 2021
- Meet the billionaire commanding SpaceXs all-civilian missionhe dropped out of high school to start his business - CNBC - February 7th, 2021
- Super Computer rates Newcastle United chances of beating Southampton and relegation probability | NUFC The Mag - The Mag - February 7th, 2021
- Supercomputer Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAGR during the period 202 - Business-newsupdate.com - February 7th, 2021
- HORIZON BLOG: Research and innovation in the new seven-year budget - Science Business - February 7th, 2021
- Is this real life? Glitch in the Matrix has its doubts - Boston Herald - February 7th, 2021
- Global Supercomputer Market Is Expected To Show Significant Growth over the Forecast Period 2020-2027 The Courier - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- What is a supercomputer? - CNBC - December 5th, 2020
- Supercomputer may give us COVID meds to join vaccines - al.com - December 5th, 2020
- Singapore Researchers Plug in to World's Fastest Supercomputer - HPCwire - December 5th, 2020
- Pawsey's Galaxy Supercomputer Aids Telescope in Creating New Atlas of the Universe - HPCwire - December 5th, 2020
- GENCI Supercomputer Simulation Illuminates the Dark Universe - HPCwire - December 5th, 2020
- Cerebras CS-1 supercomputer uses the worlds largest chip - Inceptive Mind - December 5th, 2020
- Supercomputer Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - December 5th, 2020
- New IBM encryption tools head off quantum computing threats - TechTarget - December 5th, 2020
- As it closes in on Arm, Nvidia announces UK supercomputer dedicated to medical research - TechCrunch - October 8th, 2020
- With Crossroads Supercomputer, HPE Notches Another DOE Win - The Next Platform - October 8th, 2020
- What happens when two planets crash together? This supercomputer has the answer - Digital Trends - October 8th, 2020
- Supermicro Details Its Hardware for MN-3, the Most Efficient Supercomputer in the World - HPCwire - September 2nd, 2020
- I confess, I'm scared of the next generation of supercomputers - TechRadar - September 2nd, 2020
- Bradykinin Hypothesis of COVID-19 Offers Hope for Already-Approved Drugs - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- Stranger than fiction? Why we need supercomputers - TechHQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Google Says It Just Ran The First-Ever Quantum Simulation of a Chemical Reaction - ScienceAlert - September 2nd, 2020
- This Equation Calculates the Chances We Live in a Computer Simulation - Discover Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- 17 of the best computers and supercomputers to grace the planet - Pocket-lint - August 31st, 2020
- Supercomputer finds best way to air out classroom to ward off virus : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - August 31st, 2020
- The Supercomputer Breaking Online Gaming Records and Modeling COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 31st, 2020
- When it comes to hurricane models, which one is best? - KHOU.com - August 31st, 2020
- Natural Radiation Including Cosmic Rays From Outer Space Can Wreak Havoc With Quantum Computers - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- The Tech Field Failed a 25-Year Challenge to Achieve Gender Equality by 2020 Culture Change Is Key to Getting on Track - Nextgov - August 31st, 2020
- Cerebras Systems Expands Global Footprint with Toronto Office Opening - HPCwire - August 31st, 2020
- CSC's Supercomputer Mahti is Now Available to Researchers and Students - HPCwire - August 28th, 2020
- Here's the smallest AI/ML supercomputer ever - TechRadar - August 28th, 2020
- When it comes to hurricane models, which one is best? - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - August 28th, 2020
- SberCloud's Cloud Platform Sweeps Three International Accolades At IT World Awards - Exchange News Direct - August 28th, 2020
- Supercomputer Market Growth, Future Prospects And Competitive Analysis (2020-2026) - Bulletin Line - August 28th, 2020
- A continent works to grow its stake in quantum computing - University World News - August 28th, 2020
- Supercomputer predicts where Spurs will finish in the 2020/21 Premier League table - The Spurs Web - August 28th, 2020
- Has the world's most powerful computer arrived? - The National - August 28th, 2020
- Galaxy Simulations Could Help Reveal Origins of Milky Way - Newswise - August 28th, 2020
- ALCC Program Awards Computing Time on ALCF's Theta Supercomputer to 24 projects - HPCwire - August 10th, 2020
- A Quintillion Calculations a Second: DOE Calculating the Benefits of Exascale and Quantum Computers - SciTechDaily - August 10th, 2020
- GE plans to give offshore wind energy a supercomputing boost - The Verge - August 10th, 2020
- From WarGames to Terms of Service: How the Supreme Courts Review of Computer Fraud Abuse Act Will Impact Your Trade Secrets - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Audis To Use Supercomputer That Controls Almost Everything - Motor1 - August 10th, 2020
- Japanese supercomputer ranked as worlds most powerful system - August 10th, 2020
- Top 10 Supercomputers | HowStuffWorks - August 10th, 2020
- What are supercomputers currently used for? | HowStuffWorks - August 10th, 2020
- Microsoft announces new supercomputer, lays out vision for ... - August 10th, 2020
- GE taps into US supercomputer to advance offshore wind - reNEWS - August 10th, 2020
- Summit supercomputer to advance research on wind power for renewable energy - ZDNet - August 10th, 2020
- BSC Researchers Create Spin-Off Platform to Accelerate the Development of New Chemicals - HPCwire - August 10th, 2020
- Supercomputer study of mobility in Spain at the peak of COVID-19 using Facebook and Google data - Science Business - August 9th, 2020
- Julia and PyCaret Latest Versions, arXiv on Kaggle, UK's AI Supercomputer And More In This Week's Top AI News - Analytics India Magazine - August 9th, 2020
- Audi To Over-Complicate Cars With Supercomputers And Repair Costs Could Skyrocket - Top Speed - August 9th, 2020
- Supercomputer COVID-19 insights, ionic spiderwebs, the whiteness of AI TechCrunch - Best gaming pro - August 8th, 2020
- Every Superman Movie Climax, Ranked From Worst To Best - Screen Rant - August 8th, 2020
- Atos Partners with University of Oxford on Largest AI Supercomputer in the UK - HPCwire - August 7th, 2020
- Five Movies Worth Watching About the Threat of Nuclear War - Council on Foreign Relations - August 7th, 2020
- Break it down: A new way to address common computing problem - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - August 7th, 2020
- GE Research uses summit supercomputer for study on wind power - Windtech International - August 7th, 2020
- Research: A Survey of Numerical Methods Utilizing Mixed Precision Arithmetic - HPCwire - August 7th, 2020
- Atos signs 5m supercomputing deal to support Oxford University-led AI research push - ComputerWeekly.com - August 6th, 2020
- Atos partners with University of Oxford on largest AI supercomputer in the UK - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- How coronavirus antibody testing works - Livemint - August 6th, 2020
- Researchers Use Supercomputers To Discover New Pathway For Covid-19 Inflammation - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Supercomputer-Powered Research Uncovers Signs of 'Bradykinin Storm' That May Explain COVID-19 Symptoms - HPCwire - July 31st, 2020
- Celtic and Rangers title race outcome predicted by betting supercomputer - HeraldScotland - July 31st, 2020
- Nvidia reportedly in advanced talks to buy Arm - ZDNet - July 31st, 2020
- NVIDIA Claims To Have Won MLPerf Benchmarking, But Google Says Otherwise - Analytics India Magazine - July 31st, 2020
- Continental is supercharging the development of driver-assistance tech - CNET - July 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Can Help More of Us Learn About Climate Change - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - July 31st, 2020
- From rocks to icebergs, the natural world tends to break into cubes - Science Magazine - July 31st, 2020
- New Data on Genetic Expression In Severe COVID-19, Pre-Existing Immune Response - Bio-IT World - July 31st, 2020
- Superman's Glasses Are Secretly Used For Mind Control - Screen Rant - July 31st, 2020
- The Israeli company that has come as close as possible to the sun - Haaretz.com - July 31st, 2020
- Celtic and Rangers title race outcome predicted by betting supercomputer - Glasgow Times - July 31st, 2020
- PEARC20 Plenary Introduces Five Upcoming NSF-Funded HPC Systems - HPCwire - July 31st, 2020