It's an interesting time to be alive.
As recently as a couple decades ago, it would be hard to imagine what life looks like today a global pandemic, contentious and divisive politics, super-computer phones in our pocket, and constant access to unchecked information available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
As with any paradigm shift, the way we organize ourselves and our communities has a slight delay following the new habits and technologies we adopt.
After the automobile was created, we began designing our cities with roads suited for car travel, instead of walking. And after we created large industrial factories, we developed dense urban areas where there would be enough housing available for all of the workers at the factories to live nearby a story that resonates very much with the Downriver region.
We're now at a point where it's time to make substantial decisions at a local level about how Downriver will look for our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. And it starts with the McLouth Steel site in Trenton.
The Trenton Planning Commission is holding an online meeting via Zoom at 7 p.m. July 22 to vote on whether to recommend adopting a new zoning ordinance changing the current names, and some of the land use.
The former McLouth Steel property is currently zoned for mixed use, which allows for office buildings, hotels, restaurants, colleges and public waterfront access. This new plan wants to rezone the property for a new category labeled "industrial waterfront," which includes everything in the new I-1 category like railroad and truck transfer stations, and developments like outdoor shipping storage container yards and power plants.
As a member of the Trenton Zoning Board of Appeals for the past several years, it's required that applicants seeking a zoning change submit a site plan for our review, with the option to set conditional zoning. For instance, if someone wants to build a fence, we may require them to create an angled corner so they can see oncoming traffic.
The problem with a full-scale zoning structure change is that we're writing a blank check to an industrial developer with endless pockets to do whatever he wishes with some of the most important land for our Downriver region's waterfront economic development without even giving us any idea of what he'll do with it, whether it's to build the previously proposed intermodal shipping port or sell it to any other developer to do as they please.
If you and I need to submit a plan to the city in order to build a fence, or put on a hip roof instead of a gable roof, then it only makes sense to require a site plan to rezone one of the region's largest and most important developments in recent history especially considering the precedent this would set with the upcoming closures of the DTE plants in Trenton and River Rouge, and what may be done with those properties in the future.
I ask you to take the time to register and attend the Zoom meeting, which is open to the public, to voice your concerns that Trenton shouldn't write a blank check for rezoning 192 football fields worth of prime waterfront land without the submission of a site plan.
At the very least, we should be allowed to know what we're getting ourselves into when we give up the last bit of control we have left of our region's future.
You can use this link to access the proposed changes, zoning map and register for the meeting to give your public comments via Zoom at 7 p.m. July 22: bit.ly/3h53QUD.
If you're unable to attend, please submit a letter voicing your concerns to be read into the record to the Trenton Planning Commission by 5 p.m. July 20:
City of Trenton
2800 Third St.
Trenton, Michigan 48183
Ryan Stewart is a member of the Trenton Zoning Board of Appeals and is running as a Democrat for the Wayne County Commission's 15th District.
See the article here:
- COVID-19: Supercomputer to support research on the pandemic - Taipei Times - June 10th, 2021
- Space Weather Prediction Gets a Supercomputing Boost - HPCwire - June 10th, 2021
- Worlds Fastest AI Supercomputer Perlmutter Will Help Create Largest-Ever 3D Map Of The Universe! - Mashable India - June 10th, 2021
- Supercomputer predicts Euro 2020 with England beating Spain and Portugal but losing on penalties to... - The Sun - June 10th, 2021
- Super Computer predicts Euro 2020 winner England stun Spain but its penalty heartbreak for the Three Lio... - talkSPORT.com - June 10th, 2021
- Looking to the future of quantum cloud computing - Siliconrepublic.com - Siliconrepublic.com - June 10th, 2021
- Hate to break it to you, but football's not coming home if this AI pundit is to be believed - The Register - June 10th, 2021
- Euro 2020: England only have 5.2% chance of winning tournament, says supercomputer - GIVEMESPORT - June 10th, 2021
- Wyoming Supercomputer Upgrade Will Make It One Of Top 25 Fastest In The World - Wyoming Public Media - February 7th, 2021
- Team Led by PPPL Physicist Wins Major Supercomputer Time to Help Develop Fusion Energy - HPCwire - February 7th, 2021
- Super Bowl 2021: What time is the game, how to watch Bucs vs. Chiefs on CBS for free - CNET - February 7th, 2021
- Meet the billionaire commanding SpaceXs all-civilian missionhe dropped out of high school to start his business - CNBC - February 7th, 2021
- Super Computer rates Newcastle United chances of beating Southampton and relegation probability | NUFC The Mag - The Mag - February 7th, 2021
- Supercomputer Market to Exhibit Impressive Growth of CAGR during the period 202 - Business-newsupdate.com - February 7th, 2021
- HORIZON BLOG: Research and innovation in the new seven-year budget - Science Business - February 7th, 2021
- Is this real life? Glitch in the Matrix has its doubts - Boston Herald - February 7th, 2021
- Global Supercomputer Market Is Expected To Show Significant Growth over the Forecast Period 2020-2027 The Courier - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- What is a supercomputer? - CNBC - December 5th, 2020
- Supercomputer may give us COVID meds to join vaccines - al.com - December 5th, 2020
- Singapore Researchers Plug in to World's Fastest Supercomputer - HPCwire - December 5th, 2020
- Pawsey's Galaxy Supercomputer Aids Telescope in Creating New Atlas of the Universe - HPCwire - December 5th, 2020
- GENCI Supercomputer Simulation Illuminates the Dark Universe - HPCwire - December 5th, 2020
- Cerebras CS-1 supercomputer uses the worlds largest chip - Inceptive Mind - December 5th, 2020
- Supercomputer Market Overview with Qualitative analysis, Competitive landscape & Forecast by 2027 - The Market Feed - December 5th, 2020
- New IBM encryption tools head off quantum computing threats - TechTarget - December 5th, 2020
- As it closes in on Arm, Nvidia announces UK supercomputer dedicated to medical research - TechCrunch - October 8th, 2020
- With Crossroads Supercomputer, HPE Notches Another DOE Win - The Next Platform - October 8th, 2020
- What happens when two planets crash together? This supercomputer has the answer - Digital Trends - October 8th, 2020
- Supermicro Details Its Hardware for MN-3, the Most Efficient Supercomputer in the World - HPCwire - September 2nd, 2020
- I confess, I'm scared of the next generation of supercomputers - TechRadar - September 2nd, 2020
- Bradykinin Hypothesis of COVID-19 Offers Hope for Already-Approved Drugs - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- Stranger than fiction? Why we need supercomputers - TechHQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Google Says It Just Ran The First-Ever Quantum Simulation of a Chemical Reaction - ScienceAlert - September 2nd, 2020
- This Equation Calculates the Chances We Live in a Computer Simulation - Discover Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- 17 of the best computers and supercomputers to grace the planet - Pocket-lint - August 31st, 2020
- Supercomputer finds best way to air out classroom to ward off virus : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - August 31st, 2020
- The Supercomputer Breaking Online Gaming Records and Modeling COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 31st, 2020
- When it comes to hurricane models, which one is best? - KHOU.com - August 31st, 2020
- Natural Radiation Including Cosmic Rays From Outer Space Can Wreak Havoc With Quantum Computers - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- The Tech Field Failed a 25-Year Challenge to Achieve Gender Equality by 2020 Culture Change Is Key to Getting on Track - Nextgov - August 31st, 2020
- Cerebras Systems Expands Global Footprint with Toronto Office Opening - HPCwire - August 31st, 2020
- CSC's Supercomputer Mahti is Now Available to Researchers and Students - HPCwire - August 28th, 2020
- Here's the smallest AI/ML supercomputer ever - TechRadar - August 28th, 2020
- When it comes to hurricane models, which one is best? - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - August 28th, 2020
- SberCloud's Cloud Platform Sweeps Three International Accolades At IT World Awards - Exchange News Direct - August 28th, 2020
- Supercomputer Market Growth, Future Prospects And Competitive Analysis (2020-2026) - Bulletin Line - August 28th, 2020
- A continent works to grow its stake in quantum computing - University World News - August 28th, 2020
- Supercomputer predicts where Spurs will finish in the 2020/21 Premier League table - The Spurs Web - August 28th, 2020
- Has the world's most powerful computer arrived? - The National - August 28th, 2020
- Galaxy Simulations Could Help Reveal Origins of Milky Way - Newswise - August 28th, 2020
- ALCC Program Awards Computing Time on ALCF's Theta Supercomputer to 24 projects - HPCwire - August 10th, 2020
- A Quintillion Calculations a Second: DOE Calculating the Benefits of Exascale and Quantum Computers - SciTechDaily - August 10th, 2020
- GE plans to give offshore wind energy a supercomputing boost - The Verge - August 10th, 2020
- From WarGames to Terms of Service: How the Supreme Courts Review of Computer Fraud Abuse Act Will Impact Your Trade Secrets - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Audis To Use Supercomputer That Controls Almost Everything - Motor1 - August 10th, 2020
- Japanese supercomputer ranked as worlds most powerful system - August 10th, 2020
- Top 10 Supercomputers | HowStuffWorks - August 10th, 2020
- What are supercomputers currently used for? | HowStuffWorks - August 10th, 2020
- Microsoft announces new supercomputer, lays out vision for ... - August 10th, 2020
- GE taps into US supercomputer to advance offshore wind - reNEWS - August 10th, 2020
- Summit supercomputer to advance research on wind power for renewable energy - ZDNet - August 10th, 2020
- BSC Researchers Create Spin-Off Platform to Accelerate the Development of New Chemicals - HPCwire - August 10th, 2020
- Supercomputer study of mobility in Spain at the peak of COVID-19 using Facebook and Google data - Science Business - August 9th, 2020
- Julia and PyCaret Latest Versions, arXiv on Kaggle, UK's AI Supercomputer And More In This Week's Top AI News - Analytics India Magazine - August 9th, 2020
- Audi To Over-Complicate Cars With Supercomputers And Repair Costs Could Skyrocket - Top Speed - August 9th, 2020
- Supercomputer COVID-19 insights, ionic spiderwebs, the whiteness of AI TechCrunch - Best gaming pro - August 8th, 2020
- Every Superman Movie Climax, Ranked From Worst To Best - Screen Rant - August 8th, 2020
- Atos Partners with University of Oxford on Largest AI Supercomputer in the UK - HPCwire - August 7th, 2020
- Five Movies Worth Watching About the Threat of Nuclear War - Council on Foreign Relations - August 7th, 2020
- Break it down: A new way to address common computing problem - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - August 7th, 2020
- GE Research uses summit supercomputer for study on wind power - Windtech International - August 7th, 2020
- Research: A Survey of Numerical Methods Utilizing Mixed Precision Arithmetic - HPCwire - August 7th, 2020
- Atos signs 5m supercomputing deal to support Oxford University-led AI research push - ComputerWeekly.com - August 6th, 2020
- Atos partners with University of Oxford on largest AI supercomputer in the UK - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- How coronavirus antibody testing works - Livemint - August 6th, 2020
- Researchers Use Supercomputers To Discover New Pathway For Covid-19 Inflammation - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Supercomputer-Powered Research Uncovers Signs of 'Bradykinin Storm' That May Explain COVID-19 Symptoms - HPCwire - July 31st, 2020
- Celtic and Rangers title race outcome predicted by betting supercomputer - HeraldScotland - July 31st, 2020
- Nvidia reportedly in advanced talks to buy Arm - ZDNet - July 31st, 2020
- NVIDIA Claims To Have Won MLPerf Benchmarking, But Google Says Otherwise - Analytics India Magazine - July 31st, 2020