Our efficient national environment supports Finnish research by offering researchers competitive resources to solve even the toughest challenges in their fields, among the first. It also contributes to facilitating researchers access to more ambitious international collaborative research projects. The COVID-19 pandemic is a good indication of the importance of our research infrastructure. We can react quickly and allocate resources to research when a critical need arises, says Pekka Lehtovuori, Director of Computing Services at CSC.
Mahti is a robust liquid-cooled supercomputer capable of solving heavy computational tasks. Mahti can be used, for example, for computational drug design, extensive molecular dynamics simulations, or to model space weather and climate change.
Modern drug design requires extensive computational resources. Supercomputers can be used to analyze how a drug candidate affects the function of proteins in the body, but also to the side effects caused by the same drug. Personalized medicine is also highly dependent on the CSCs computing environment, says Antti Poso, Professor of Drug Design at the University of Eastern Finland and the University of Tbingen in Germany. Mahti is also contributing to the re-use of drugs, which enables a faster response even in situations such as COVID-19 pandemics
CSCs data management and computing services will also be open to educational use by higher education institutes.
With the new data management and computing environment, more and more people will be able to take advantage of modern research equipment. The CSC environment is now also available for educational use in universities and academic use in research institutes. The expanded user base helps ensure that we get all the benefits from the investment and that expertise is accumulated not only in CSC but also in user organizations, says Erja Heikkinen, Director at the Ministry of Education and Culture.
Mahti is the fastest supercomputer in the Nordic countries
The supercomputer Mahti is aBullSequana XH2000system fromAtoswith two 64-core AMD EPYC (Rome) processors in the nodes. This processor is the latest version of the EPYC family (7H12). The total amount of cores is about 180 000. There are almost 9 Petabytes of storage capacity in Mahti.
The interconnect network represents the latest technology, and its speed up to the nodes is 200 Gbps (Gigabits per second). Mahti is one of the worlds first supercomputers with such a fast interconnect.
Mahti ranked 47th in the Supercomputer Top500 list in June 2020 with a maximum performance of 5.39 Petaflops. The theoretical peak performance is 7.5 Petaflops. Mahti is the fastest supercomputer in the Nordic countriesand when compared to European ones, Mahti ranks as number 17.
On the recent Supercomputer Green500 list, Mahti ranked 44th. The Green500 lists the worlds most energy-efficient supercomputers. There are only 14 supercomputers that are faster and more energy-efficient than Mahti.
I am really proud of this achievement because of the flawless cooperation with the CSC project team, a perfect example of European cooperation. We set a common goal, which is to provide cutting edge HPC technology to researchers in Finnish universities and research institutes and achieved it, says Janne Ahonen,Atos Country Manager Finland & the Baltics.
CSCs new computing environment
The availability of Mahti completes the CSCs new data management and computing environment, which consists of Mahti, Puhti, and Allas.
Mahti is the robust supercomputer in CSCs environment, geared towards medium to large scale simulations. Puhti, a BullSequana X400 system from Atos, is a general-purpose supercomputerfor a wide range of use cases. Puhti was launched in autumn 2019.
Puhti Artificial Intelligence Partition Puhti-AI is a GPU-accelerated supercomputer and is specifically designed for artificial intelligence research and artificial intelligence applications.
The entire CSC computing environment is served by a common data management solution, Allas, that is based on CEPH object storage technology and has a storage capacity of 12 Petabytes.
CSCis a Finnish center of expertise in ICT that provides world-class services for research, education, culture, public administration and enterprises, to help them thrive and benefit society at large. http://www.csc.fi
Follow this link:
- As it closes in on Arm, Nvidia announces UK supercomputer dedicated to medical research - TechCrunch - October 8th, 2020
- With Crossroads Supercomputer, HPE Notches Another DOE Win - The Next Platform - October 8th, 2020
- What happens when two planets crash together? This supercomputer has the answer - Digital Trends - October 8th, 2020
- Supermicro Details Its Hardware for MN-3, the Most Efficient Supercomputer in the World - HPCwire - September 2nd, 2020
- I confess, I'm scared of the next generation of supercomputers - TechRadar - September 2nd, 2020
- Bradykinin Hypothesis of COVID-19 Offers Hope for Already-Approved Drugs - BioSpace - September 2nd, 2020
- Stranger than fiction? Why we need supercomputers - TechHQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Google Says It Just Ran The First-Ever Quantum Simulation of a Chemical Reaction - ScienceAlert - September 2nd, 2020
- This Equation Calculates the Chances We Live in a Computer Simulation - Discover Magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- 17 of the best computers and supercomputers to grace the planet - Pocket-lint - August 31st, 2020
- Supercomputer finds best way to air out classroom to ward off virus : The Asahi Shimbun - Asahi Shimbun - August 31st, 2020
- The Supercomputer Breaking Online Gaming Records and Modeling COVID-19 - BioSpace - August 31st, 2020
- When it comes to hurricane models, which one is best? - KHOU.com - August 31st, 2020
- Natural Radiation Including Cosmic Rays From Outer Space Can Wreak Havoc With Quantum Computers - SciTechDaily - August 31st, 2020
- The Tech Field Failed a 25-Year Challenge to Achieve Gender Equality by 2020 Culture Change Is Key to Getting on Track - Nextgov - August 31st, 2020
- Cerebras Systems Expands Global Footprint with Toronto Office Opening - HPCwire - August 31st, 2020
- Here's the smallest AI/ML supercomputer ever - TechRadar - August 28th, 2020
- When it comes to hurricane models, which one is best? - 12newsnow.com KBMT-KJAC - August 28th, 2020
- SberCloud's Cloud Platform Sweeps Three International Accolades At IT World Awards - Exchange News Direct - August 28th, 2020
- Supercomputer Market Growth, Future Prospects And Competitive Analysis (2020-2026) - Bulletin Line - August 28th, 2020
- A continent works to grow its stake in quantum computing - University World News - August 28th, 2020
- Supercomputer predicts where Spurs will finish in the 2020/21 Premier League table - The Spurs Web - August 28th, 2020
- Has the world's most powerful computer arrived? - The National - August 28th, 2020
- Galaxy Simulations Could Help Reveal Origins of Milky Way - Newswise - August 28th, 2020
- ALCC Program Awards Computing Time on ALCF's Theta Supercomputer to 24 projects - HPCwire - August 10th, 2020
- A Quintillion Calculations a Second: DOE Calculating the Benefits of Exascale and Quantum Computers - SciTechDaily - August 10th, 2020
- GE plans to give offshore wind energy a supercomputing boost - The Verge - August 10th, 2020
- From WarGames to Terms of Service: How the Supreme Courts Review of Computer Fraud Abuse Act Will Impact Your Trade Secrets - JD Supra - August 10th, 2020
- New Audis To Use Supercomputer That Controls Almost Everything - Motor1 - August 10th, 2020
- Japanese supercomputer ranked as worlds most powerful system - August 10th, 2020
- Top 10 Supercomputers | HowStuffWorks - August 10th, 2020
- What are supercomputers currently used for? | HowStuffWorks - August 10th, 2020
- Microsoft announces new supercomputer, lays out vision for ... - August 10th, 2020
- GE taps into US supercomputer to advance offshore wind - reNEWS - August 10th, 2020
- Summit supercomputer to advance research on wind power for renewable energy - ZDNet - August 10th, 2020
- BSC Researchers Create Spin-Off Platform to Accelerate the Development of New Chemicals - HPCwire - August 10th, 2020
- Supercomputer study of mobility in Spain at the peak of COVID-19 using Facebook and Google data - Science Business - August 9th, 2020
- Julia and PyCaret Latest Versions, arXiv on Kaggle, UK's AI Supercomputer And More In This Week's Top AI News - Analytics India Magazine - August 9th, 2020
- Audi To Over-Complicate Cars With Supercomputers And Repair Costs Could Skyrocket - Top Speed - August 9th, 2020
- Supercomputer COVID-19 insights, ionic spiderwebs, the whiteness of AI TechCrunch - Best gaming pro - August 8th, 2020
- Every Superman Movie Climax, Ranked From Worst To Best - Screen Rant - August 8th, 2020
- Atos Partners with University of Oxford on Largest AI Supercomputer in the UK - HPCwire - August 7th, 2020
- Five Movies Worth Watching About the Threat of Nuclear War - Council on Foreign Relations - August 7th, 2020
- Break it down: A new way to address common computing problem - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - August 7th, 2020
- GE Research uses summit supercomputer for study on wind power - Windtech International - August 7th, 2020
- Research: A Survey of Numerical Methods Utilizing Mixed Precision Arithmetic - HPCwire - August 7th, 2020
- Atos signs 5m supercomputing deal to support Oxford University-led AI research push - ComputerWeekly.com - August 6th, 2020
- Atos partners with University of Oxford on largest AI supercomputer in the UK - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2020
- How coronavirus antibody testing works - Livemint - August 6th, 2020
- Researchers Use Supercomputers To Discover New Pathway For Covid-19 Inflammation - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Supercomputer-Powered Research Uncovers Signs of 'Bradykinin Storm' That May Explain COVID-19 Symptoms - HPCwire - July 31st, 2020
- Celtic and Rangers title race outcome predicted by betting supercomputer - HeraldScotland - July 31st, 2020
- Nvidia reportedly in advanced talks to buy Arm - ZDNet - July 31st, 2020
- NVIDIA Claims To Have Won MLPerf Benchmarking, But Google Says Otherwise - Analytics India Magazine - July 31st, 2020
- Continental is supercharging the development of driver-assistance tech - CNET - July 31st, 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic Can Help More of Us Learn About Climate Change - UT News | The University of Texas at Austin - July 31st, 2020
- From rocks to icebergs, the natural world tends to break into cubes - Science Magazine - July 31st, 2020
- New Data on Genetic Expression In Severe COVID-19, Pre-Existing Immune Response - Bio-IT World - July 31st, 2020
- Superman's Glasses Are Secretly Used For Mind Control - Screen Rant - July 31st, 2020
- The Israeli company that has come as close as possible to the sun - Haaretz.com - July 31st, 2020
- Celtic and Rangers title race outcome predicted by betting supercomputer - Glasgow Times - July 31st, 2020
- PEARC20 Plenary Introduces Five Upcoming NSF-Funded HPC Systems - HPCwire - July 31st, 2020
- NIH Awards $6M to UConn Health Biological Computer Modeling Teams - HPCwire - July 31st, 2020
- Continental Debuts the Fastest Supercomputer in the Automotive Industry and It's Built for AI - EnterpriseAI - July 30th, 2020
- WATCH: Supercomputer generates 3D videos that show how Earth may have lost half of its atmosphere to create th - Business Insider India - July 26th, 2020
- Repeated intelligence failures: Time to worry - The Sunday Guardian - July 26th, 2020
- Supercomputer Market to witness an impressive growth during the forecast period 2020 - 2026 - CueReport - July 26th, 2020
- What is supercomputer? - Definition from WhatIs.com - July 26th, 2020
- What is supercomputer? - Definition - July 26th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Supercomputer Market Comprehensive Growth 2020-2027 with Top key vendor IBM Corporation, Cray Inc., Lenovo Inc., Sugon, Inspur -... - July 25th, 2020
- Super-computer Henry Cavill breaks the Internet again with more geek content - KSRO - July 24th, 2020
- How Equity Is Lost When Companies Hire Only Workers With Disabilities - The New York Times - July 24th, 2020
- Earth may have lost half of its atmosphere to create Moon, reveals study using 3D videos - Republic World - Republic World - July 24th, 2020
- "Super"-computer: Henry Cavill breaks the Internet again with more geek content - wcsjnews.com - July 24th, 2020
- Solar Opposites EPs Tease Whats To Come On Season 2 Of Hulu Animated Comedy Comic-Con@Home - Deadline - July 24th, 2020
- NVIDIA and University of Florida Release New AI Curriculum Spanning All Educational Disciplines - Motley Fool - July 21st, 2020
- Supercomputing Pipeline Aids DESI's Quest to Create 3D Map of the Universe - HPCwire - July 21st, 2020
- "Super"-computer Henry Cavill breaks the Internet again with more geek content - 1310kfka.com - July 20th, 2020
- It's time to decide what we want Downriver's future to look like - Southgate News Herald - July 20th, 2020
- The worlds supercomputers joined forces against COVID-19 why such collaborations are critical for tackling future emergencies - The European Sting - July 20th, 2020