The price of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies tanked today, continuing a months-long slide that has seen the value of the digital currency slide by more than $2,000 from highs of above $10,000 earlier in the year.
Investors are still speculating about the cause of the crash, but hopeful cryptocurrency bulls before today had hoped that $8,000 would be the new floor for Bitcoin.
No longer. Today the price of Bitcoin dropped to $7,448.75, down from around $8,000 earlier in the day.
Investors arent sure whats behind the crash, but Bitcoins commentariat pointed to two likely culprits.
One was the underwhelming performance of Facebooks chief executive Mark Zuckerberg in testimony before Congress on the Libra cryptocurrency that his company is leading the charge to create.
However, an underwhelming performance from Zuckerberg and the potential fate of Libra, which cryptocurrency purists have scoffed at anyway, may be less concerning for the Bitcoin crowd than developments happening in Googles quantum computing research labs around the world.
Earlier today, Google declared quantum dominance, indicating that it had solved a problem using quantum computing that a supercomputer would have taken years to solve. Thats great news for theoretical physicists and quantum computing aficionados, but less good for investors whove put their faith (and billions of dollars) into a system of record whose value depends on its inability to be cracked by computing power.
When news of Googles achievement first began trickling out in late September (thanks to reporting by the Financial Times), Bitcoin experts dismissed the notion that it would cause problems for the cryptocurrency.
We still dont even know if its possible to scale quantum computers; quite possible that adding qbits will have an exponential cost, wrote early Bitcoin developer Peter Todd, on Twitter.
The comments, flagged by CoinTelegraph, seem to indicate that the economic cost of cracking Bitcoins cryptography is far beyond the means of even Alphabets multibillion-dollar budgets.
Still, it has been a dark few months for cryptocurrencies after steadily surging throughout the year. The real test, of course, of the viability of Bitcoin and the other cryptographically secured transaction mechanisms floating around the tech world these days is whether anyone will build viable products on their open architectures.
Aside from a few flash-in-the-pan fads, the jury is very much still out on what the verdict will be.
That uncertainty affects more than just Bitcoin, and, indeed, the rest of the market also tumbled, as Coindesk pricing charts indicate.
- OLCF and Summit Supercomputer Join the COVID-19 High Performance Computing Consortium - HPCwire - April 2nd, 2020
- BSC Uses Bioinformatics, AI, and Marenostrum Supercomputer in Fight Against COVID-19 - HPCwire - April 2nd, 2020
- Coronavirus Massive Simulations Completed on Supercomputer - UC San Diego Health - April 2nd, 2020
- Supercomputer Testing Probes Viral Transmission in Airplanes - HPCwire - April 2nd, 2020
- UAH researchers and the world's fastest supercomputer join the fight against the COVID-19 virus - alreporter.com - April 2nd, 2020
- BSC uses bioinformatics, AI and supercomputer in the fight against the coronavirus - Science Business - April 2nd, 2020
- Researchers Join Forces to Investigate the Airborne Transmission of Coronavirus Using a Supercomputer - SciTechDaily - April 2nd, 2020
- The beauty and comedy of Muhammad Ali and Rocky Marcianos 1969 computer fight - The Independent - April 2nd, 2020
- New Docuseries About the World's Top Industrial Supercomputer - GZERO Media - April 2nd, 2020
- The ins and outs of high-performance computing as a service - TechCentral.ie - April 2nd, 2020
- Mobile vs. Desktop Poker: What's the Best Option for You? - Poker News Report - April 2nd, 2020
- Argonne's Researchers and Facilities Playing a Key Role in the Fight Against COVID-19 - HPCwire - April 2nd, 2020
- Covid-19: Crowdsourced virtual supercomputer revs up virus research - The Star Online - March 22nd, 2020
- IBM and White House to deploy supercomputer power to fight coronavirus outbreak - CNBC - March 22nd, 2020
- Covid-19: Chinese supercomputer uses artificial intelligence to diagnose patients from chest scans - The Star Online - March 22nd, 2020
- IBM-built Supercomputer helps guide researchers to a cure for COVID-19 - BlackEngineer.com - March 22nd, 2020
- UK vaccine trials to a supercomputer taking on virus top 5 developments on COVID-19 front - ThePrint - March 22nd, 2020
- SETI@Home Is Over; The Fight Against COVID-19 Is Just Beginning - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- JUSTUS 2 Supercomputer from NEC Deployed at University of Ulm - insideHPC - March 16th, 2020
- How this South Korean company created coronavirus test kits in three weeks - CNN - March 16th, 2020
- University of Tennessee researchers hoping to cure coronavirus - 247Sports - March 16th, 2020
- 'Devs': Every Question (and Theory) We Have for Alex Garland's Sci-Fi Series - Collider.com - March 16th, 2020
- In four years of a national mission, total supercomputers built: three - The Indian Express - March 16th, 2020
- We May Be Living in a Simulation, but the Truth Still Matters - The New York Times - March 16th, 2020
- Trump proposes another $475 million for supercomputers as Oak Ridge builds next version of world's fastest machine - Chattanooga Times Free Press - February 13th, 2020
- The quantum computer is about the change the world. Three Israelis are leading the revolution - Haaretz - February 13th, 2020
- Eni to Retake Industrial HPC Leadership Crown with Launch of HPC5 - HPCwire - February 13th, 2020
- Supercomputer predicts Premier League top four as Chelsea, Man Utd and Tottenham battle it out - Mirror Online - February 13th, 2020
- 5 Reasons Why The Batmobile Is The Best Superhero Vehicle Of All Time (& 5 Why It's The Spider-Buggy) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 13th, 2020
- Leeds fans react as super computer tips them for the title - FootballFanCast.com - February 13th, 2020
- Follow-up: Virologists and supercomputer need to conquer the coronavirus - Innovation Origins - February 13th, 2020
- Sometimes The Road To Petaflops Is Paved With Gold And Platinum - The Next Platform - February 13th, 2020
- The Role of AI in the Development of Medical Pods - HostReview.com - February 12th, 2020
- Be More Chill Takes Over London Beginning February 12 - Playbill.com - February 12th, 2020
- Google claims to have invented a quantum computer, but IBM begs to differ - The Conversation CA - January 26th, 2020
- Hands-on review: Alienware m15 r2: supercomputer or superweapon? - FutureFive New Zealand - January 26th, 2020
- Giant Planets Could Form Around Tiny Stars in Just a Few Thousand Years - Universe Today - January 26th, 2020
- What will happen when robots have taken all the jobs? - Telegraph.co.uk - January 26th, 2020
- Letters to the editor - The Economist - January 26th, 2020
- We know the earth is warming. We know that will stress water in the West. But we don't know how. - The Colorado Sun - January 26th, 2020
- Super Computer model rates Newcastle United chances of beating Everton and relegation probability - The Mag - January 26th, 2020
- ASC20 Finals to be Held in Shenzhen, Tasks Include Quantum Computing Simulation and AI Language Exam - HPCwire - January 22nd, 2020
- AMD Epyc 7742 CPUs Tapped for European Weather-Predicting Supercomputer - Tom's Hardware - January 22nd, 2020
- Supercomputer forecasts Liverpool's chances of winning Premier League title - Daily Star - January 22nd, 2020
- Scientists Combine AI With Biology to Create Xenobots, the World's First 'Living Robots' - EcoWatch - January 22nd, 2020
- New, detailed pictures of planets, moons, and comets are neither photos nor animations theyre made using data from 50 years of NASA missions -... - January 22nd, 2020
- What is supercomputer? - Definition from WhatIs.com - December 28th, 2019
- What is supercomputer? - Definition - December 28th, 2019
- The race to exascale is on while Canada watches from the sidelines - CBC.ca - December 28th, 2019
- SC19 Invited Talk: HPC Solutions for Geoscience Application on the Sunway Supercomputer - insideHPC - December 28th, 2019
- Claiming dividends? 'Big Brother' tax computer is watching you - The Times - December 28th, 2019
- 15 Vintage Computer Ads That Show How Far Weve Come - Small Business Trends - December 28th, 2019
- Leicester City's chances in title race with Liverpool and Man City predicted by supercomputer - Leicestershire Live - December 28th, 2019
- Super Computer model rates Newcastle relegation probability and chances of beating Man Utd - The Mag - December 28th, 2019
- Super Computer model rates Newcastle United relegation probability and chances of beating Everton - The Mag - December 28th, 2019
- Will there ever be a supercomputer that can think like HAL? - Macquarie University - December 26th, 2019
- AWS wants to reinvent the supercomputer, starting with the network - ZDNet - December 5th, 2019
- Idaho's Third Supercomputer Coming to Collaborative Computing Center - HPCwire - December 5th, 2019
- The rise and fall of the PlayStation supercomputers - The Verge - December 5th, 2019
- Premier League table: talkSPORT Super Computer predicts where every club will finish in 2019/20 campaign - talkSPORT.com - December 5th, 2019
- A Success on Arm for HPC: We Found a Fujitsu A64fx Wafer - AnandTech - December 5th, 2019
- Why India Needed A 100PF Supercomputer To Help With Weather Forecasting - Analytics India Magazine - December 5th, 2019
- The Snapdragon 865: The new chip where everything really is new and improved - Android Central - December 5th, 2019
- Super Computer model rates Newcastle relegation probability and chances of beating Sheffield United - The Mag - December 5th, 2019
- Penguin Computing to deliver Magma Supercomputer, one of the First Intel - AiThority - November 25th, 2019
- Supercomputer simulation reveals how galaxies eat gas and evolve - Sky News - November 25th, 2019
- Supercomputer Market Outline and Pipeline Review from 2019-2025|Cray - The Connect Report - November 25th, 2019
- Watch This Ultra-Hypnotic Supercomputer Simulation of Galaxies Feasting - Free - November 25th, 2019
- Gospel according to HPE: And lo, on the 32,768th hour did thy SSD give up the ghost - The Register - November 25th, 2019
- Google's claims of quantum supremacy: Groundbreaking, overhyped, or both? - Penn: Office of University Communications - November 25th, 2019
- NVIDIA Jetson Xavier NX Debuts As The Smallest Super Computer For AI At The Edge - Forbes - November 13th, 2019
- Apple announces a new MacBook Pro and says it has finally fixed the broken keyboard problem - CNBC - November 13th, 2019
- Nvidia's Jetson Xavier NX Is 'World's Smallest Supercomputer' For AI - CRN: The Biggest Tech News For Partners And The IT Channel - November 13th, 2019
- 16,000 core supercomputer completes best galaxy simulation video ever - TweakTown - November 13th, 2019
- Simulated BCS rankings have 2 SEC teams in top 4 after Week 11 - Saturday Down South - November 13th, 2019
- Solving a Riddle That Would Provide the World With Entirely Clean, Renewable Energy - SciTechDaily - November 13th, 2019
- Supercomputer predicts Championship table and Reading FC fans will be livid - Get Reading - November 13th, 2019
- Using AI to Split Water Electrochemically in a Cost-Effective, Reliable Way - AZoCleantech - November 13th, 2019
- Anyone who wrote off Sheffield United as a direct, functional team might want to watch the goal they scored at... - The Athletic - November 13th, 2019
- Calvin Harris shows off his jaw-dropping studio and reveals that he already has the new Mac Pro - MusicRadar - November 13th, 2019