Picked to finish 11th and 12th in the Colonial Athletic Association preseason poll, William & Mary and UAlbany have both shown sustained flashes of excellence through the non-conference portion of their schedules.
Who:William & Mary (2-2, 0-0) at UAlbany (2-2, 0-0)
When:Saturday, Sept. 28, 3:30 p.m. ET
Where:Bob Ford Field; Albany, New York
Watch:LIVE on FloFootball
The two meet Saturday at Bob Ford Field, and the winner will leave with a record above .500 to close September, and a 1-0 start to CAA play.
We understand how this thing switches when you get into conference. Its a different world, said UAlbany coach Greg Gattuso. Its a huge football game for us.
The Great Danes rebounded from an overtime heartbreaker at Monmouth in Week 3 to rout Lafayette, 36-7. The Patriot Leagues Leopards provide a common opponent between UAlbany and William & Mary; the Tribe rolled against them in coach Mike Londons debut Week 1.
William & Mary finished its out-of-conference docket last week in a defensive struggle against its second FBS opponent of the season, East Carolina. With former James Madison coach Mike Houston in his first season captaining the Pirates, Saturdays game pit the last two head coaches to win national championships from the CAA head-to-head.
Proud of the players coming out of this four-game stretch here with two FBS opponents, a preseason FCS Top 25 school (Colgate), London said. Proud of where we are [but] obviously gotta get better going into conference play. Every team, in my experience in this conference, is a very good team and a playoff-caliber type of team.
One of the top priorities facing London and his staff upon their arrival was reinvigorating the offense. William & Mary scored the fewest points in the CAA last season by a considerable margin.
First-year offensive coordinator Brennan Marion implemented the GoGo scheme, which immediately turned around Howard previously.
To deem the GoGo an offshoot of any one system wouldnt be accurate: Rather, this hurry-up approach is a hybrid of multiple looks, sometimes lining up multiple wide receivers with two running backs alongside the quarterback; other times going in a Pistol look.
The variety of the offense, which includes zone-read and option principles, keeps defenses on their heels. At William & Mary, the GoGos started to unlock potential in the run game. Quarterback Hollis Mathis and running backs Owen Wright and Albert Funderburke have all broken off long runs this season while sharing carries.
At Howard, the offense thrived with a multifaceted passing attack that parts still in development with freshman quarterback Mathis at William & Mary.
The bulk of the passing yardage on Saturday is likely to come from the other side, with UAlbany coming in posting 229.3 yards per game.
UAlbanys passing attack is possible thanks to a deep and talented rotation of wide receivers. Juwan Green ranks ninth in the nation with 408 receiving yards, and his six touchdowns are tied with Houston Baptists Ben Ratzlaff for second-most.
The receiving corps feeds off quarterback Jeff Undercuffler, who Gattuso said is progression well in his first full season as starter.
He has a good complement of people around him. He needs to trust them and understand he doesnt have to do everything himself, and I think he is, Gattuso said.
UAlbanys shown it can attack as effectively on the ground as through the air. The Great Danes have a capable one-two combination in Karl Mofor and Alex James; the latter won Week 2 CAA Offensive Player of the Week after decimating Bryant with 229 yards.
Mofors been the primary ball-carrier the rest of the way. He also adds an element to the passing game, making him the clear every-down back for UAlbany.
Hes multi-dimensional, Gattuso said of Mofor. Hes an exceptional blocker and a great pass receiver.
Its all-hands-on-deck for the Great Danes pass-catchers against one of the CAAs premier pass defenses. The Tribe have picked off six passes in four games, including Arman Jones pick-six, and one from All-CAA defensive back Isaiah Laster.
A theme from last seasons 25-22 William & Mary win that looms this year is UAlbanys red-zone efficiency. The Tribes outstanding defense forced the Great Danes into three field goals in the red zone a year ago. Turn even one of those into a touchdown and extra point, and its a UAlbany win.
A byproduct of or perhaps a reason for UAlbanys offensive improvement thus far in 2019 lies in its red-zone efficiency. The Great Danes are 10-for-10 when crossing the 20, with eight of those going for touchdowns.
Conversely, William & Marys been solid defending the red zone. Opponents have converted 14-of-17 opportunities, but nearly half of those scores (6) were field goals. The ability of the Tribes linebackers to drop back effectively into pass coverage while Bill Murray and Co. up front clog rushing lanes compacts the already-short field for opposing offenses.
Getting to the quarterback is a ubiquitous football phrase that carries different meanings. Doing so is equally important for both the UAlbany and William & Mary defenses on Saturday, but for different reasons.
William & Marys ball-hawking begins with intense pressure off the line. Murray and Carl Fowler lead a team-wide effort to produce almost three sacks per game. The Tribes 11 in total rank 20th in the nation.
Getting to Undercuffler is crucial to limiting the explosive pass plays that have been an early hallmark for the Great Danes.
On the flip side, UAlbanys defense getting to the quarterback is about limiting explosive gains, but more so at the first level than in the pocket. Mathis 52.8 rushing yards per game rank second for the Tribe, just behind Wrights 56. His contributions in the run game are especially important for igniting William & Marys approach.
UAlbanys been effective enough against the run, holding opponents to 4.1 yards per carry, but Mathis is the first truly dynamic dual-threat quarterback the Great Danes defense faces this season.
- Charlie Hall Chase Entries Wetherby 2019 | Reigning champ Definitly Red heads Charlie Hall entries - Timeform - November 3rd, 2019
- Redheads Converge in Wheeling for Festival of Their Own - Wheeling Intelligencer - November 3rd, 2019
- The Blacklist recap: School's out forever - Entertainment Weekly News - November 3rd, 2019
- Richmond Red Cross volunteer heads to California to aid wildfire victims - WWBT NBC12 News - November 3rd, 2019
- HBO Max Titles Including Gossip Girl Reboot & Kaley Cuocos The Flight Attendant Head To Canada Via Extended Bell Media Deal - Deadline - November 3rd, 2019
- An Epic Halloween House in Keller Turns Heads Every Year - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - November 3rd, 2019
- 'Bryce Strong': Judson community rallies as football player heads for round two with cancer - San Antonio Express-News - November 3rd, 2019
- Verstappen: Hamilton and Vettel words show I'm in their heads - autosport.com - November 3rd, 2019
- What theyre saying nationally about Michigans win over Maryland - MLive.com - November 3rd, 2019
- Confessed killer regrets life of drug use as he heads to prison for murder - MLive.com - November 3rd, 2019
- Bray Wyatt Reacts To Universal Title Victory At WWE Crown Jewel, Heads To Miz TV - Wrestlezone - Mandatory - November 3rd, 2019
- Holly Willoughby's flaming red clinging dress lights up Pride of Britain - Mirror Online - November 3rd, 2019
- Donor conception and the cost of keeping a secret - Science News - ABC News - November 3rd, 2019
- Welcome to crane country - The Hindu - October 28th, 2019
- BBC News heads to the dark web with new Tor mirror - The Verge - October 28th, 2019
- Harry Potter: 10 Things About Ron Weasley The Movies Deliberately Changed - Screen Rant - October 28th, 2019
- Gallant: 2 reasons why Seahawks arent more than above-average - MyNorthwest.com - October 28th, 2019
- Kincade Fire in Sonoma County burns 10000 acres; Napa County Fire heads to the scene - Napa Valley Register - October 28th, 2019
- C-43 reservoir keep Lake Okeechobee water clean when it heads to the gulf - NBC2 News - October 28th, 2019
- Tottenham back on track in Europe with 5-0 rout of Red Star - Minneapolis Star Tribune - October 28th, 2019
- 5 takeaways from the Patriots 27-13 win over the Browns - Boston.com - October 28th, 2019
- Tom Perezs No-Win Situation - The Atlantic - October 28th, 2019
- Nationals drop three in a row to Astros, World Series is 3-2 and headed back to Houston - WOAI - October 28th, 2019
- Federal parties in for long night as voting heads into final hours - Red Deer Advocate - October 28th, 2019
- BLOG: TCU drills Texas creating second half turnovers for 37-27 win - KXAN.com - October 28th, 2019
- Night of the Walking Redheads - The New Yorker - October 16th, 2019
- England must keep their discipline in heat of World Cup knockout stages - The Guardian - October 16th, 2019
- Cara Delevingnes moth-eaten jumpsuit look turned heads on the red carpet. but can it work in real life? - The Sun - October 16th, 2019
- Amazon's Lord Of The Rings Series Is Casting For 'Hairy People' And More - CinemaBlend - October 16th, 2019
- Lord of the Rings TV series: Bearded men, missing teeth and people over 200cm wanted - Stuff.co.nz - October 13th, 2019
- Ed Sheeran and Prince Harry unite in video for World Mental Health Day - WRAL.com - October 13th, 2019
- Deep south's only Democratic governor heads into election runoff - The Guardian - October 13th, 2019
- Justin Trudeau Heads North, Fighting for Every Seat in a Tight Race - The New York Times - October 13th, 2019
- Its coming, its coming: Did Washington finally find the keys to unlocking its offensive firepower? - The Seattle Times - October 13th, 2019
- Pics: Neha Dhupia turns heads in ravishing red - Times of India - October 13th, 2019
- The Flint House, Brighton: Its all about satisfying dishes restaurant review - The Guardian - October 13th, 2019
- Seahawks at Browns final score, takeaways: Seattle hangs on to beat Cleveland in back-and-forth game - CBS Sports - October 13th, 2019
- Tom Herman's tone Monday seemed calculated to make a point to his Longhorns ahead of the Red River Showdown - The Dallas Morning News - October 13th, 2019
- Gilligans Island star Tina Louise shares how the show 'represented this great escape' - Fox News - October 1st, 2019
- Heads must roll as Trent Bridge becomes theatre of base comedy - The Times - October 1st, 2019
- Halsey Hairstyles: Her Most Head-Turning Looks - RADIO.COM - October 1st, 2019
- MotoGP heads to Thailand with Marquez on cusp of Championship victory - Mcnews.com.au - October 1st, 2019
- Maleficent 2 world premiere photos: Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning and others turn heads at the red carpet - Times Now - October 1st, 2019
- The Strange, Uncertain Fate of One of the World's Most Valuable Salmon Habitats - The Nation - October 1st, 2019
- Red Sox CEO says 'there's a chance' the team keeps Mookie Betts and J.D. Martinez - Boston.com - October 1st, 2019
- Women's football welcomes fans but must prevent offensive chanting - The Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- Celtic fun kicks off with Kiltober in Lakewood Ranch - YourObserver.com - September 27th, 2019
- SEC Power Rankings: Georgia heads into bye week after big win over Notre Dame - Red and Black - September 27th, 2019
- Bryant heads to SFU, RMU this weekend - Bryant University Bulldogs - September 27th, 2019
- Sandra the orangutan heads for new life in US ape sanctuary - Buenos Aires Times - September 27th, 2019
- Why More DC Men Are Dyeing Their Gray Hair - Washingtonian - September 27th, 2019
- Were All Breathing the Same Air: How Jeppe Heins Participatory Art Project United Schoolchildren and Heads of State During Climate Week - artnet News - September 27th, 2019
- Emmy Awards 2019: Best red carpet fashion - CNN - September 27th, 2019
- NHL's high-powered Atlantic Division got even tougher over the summer - CBC Sports - September 27th, 2019
- Everything you need to know about the Cardiff half marathon - Runner's World (UK) - September 27th, 2019
- The Book of Swag: Chad Kellys next chapter - Red Cup Rebellion - September 27th, 2019
- Beef demand heads into the slow months - Grainews - September 27th, 2019
- Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes will be underdogs for Russian GP and rest of F1 season - The Telegraph - September 27th, 2019
- REAL SCOOP: Another UN gangster pleads guilty to conspiracy - Vancouver Sun - September 27th, 2019
- Bethenny Frankel Turned Heads with a Daring, Thigh-High Slit on the Emmys Red Carpet - Bravo - September 27th, 2019
- Summerside Western Capitals junior A hockey team heads back out on the road to New Brunswick - The Guardian - September 27th, 2019
- atheism | Definition, Philosophy, & Comparison to ... - May 28th, 2019
- atheism r/atheism - reddit: the front page of the internet - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism | CARM.org - May 28th, 2019
- Atheism - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Super-Strong Robot Dog Pull a Three-Ton Airplane - May 25th, 2019
- Scientists Set New Temperature Record for Superconductivity - May 25th, 2019
- Can You Tell Which of These Models Is CGI? - May 25th, 2019
- We Asked an AI to Finish Real Elon Musk Tweets - May 25th, 2019
- United Nations: Siri and Alexa Are Encouraging Misogyny - May 25th, 2019
- New Law Could End Robocalling Once and For All - May 25th, 2019
- SpaceX Just Unleashed 60 Starlink Satellites Into Orbit - May 25th, 2019
- Asteroid Flying by Earth Is so Big It Has Its Own Moon - May 25th, 2019
- Elevate Your Leadership and Grow Your Business at Your Clouds Can 2019 - May 25th, 2019
- NASA’s Moon Mission Leader Just Quit After Only Six Weeks - May 25th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla in an Underground Tunnel Race One on the Street - May 25th, 2019
- See China’s Newly Unveiled Maglev Train - May 25th, 2019
- Here’s How NASA Prepares Its Spacecraft for Mars - May 25th, 2019
- New Research: The Oceans Are Slowly Leaking Into the Earth - May 25th, 2019
- Studying the Sun’s Atmosphere Could Make Fusion Power a Reality - May 25th, 2019