Picked to finish 11th and 12th in the Colonial Athletic Association preseason poll, William & Mary and UAlbany have both shown sustained flashes of excellence through the non-conference portion of their schedules.
Who:William & Mary (2-2, 0-0) at UAlbany (2-2, 0-0)
When:Saturday, Sept. 28, 3:30 p.m. ET
Where:Bob Ford Field; Albany, New York
Watch:LIVE on FloFootball
The two meet Saturday at Bob Ford Field, and the winner will leave with a record above .500 to close September, and a 1-0 start to CAA play.
We understand how this thing switches when you get into conference. Its a different world, said UAlbany coach Greg Gattuso. Its a huge football game for us.
The Great Danes rebounded from an overtime heartbreaker at Monmouth in Week 3 to rout Lafayette, 36-7. The Patriot Leagues Leopards provide a common opponent between UAlbany and William & Mary; the Tribe rolled against them in coach Mike Londons debut Week 1.
William & Mary finished its out-of-conference docket last week in a defensive struggle against its second FBS opponent of the season, East Carolina. With former James Madison coach Mike Houston in his first season captaining the Pirates, Saturdays game pit the last two head coaches to win national championships from the CAA head-to-head.
Proud of the players coming out of this four-game stretch here with two FBS opponents, a preseason FCS Top 25 school (Colgate), London said. Proud of where we are [but] obviously gotta get better going into conference play. Every team, in my experience in this conference, is a very good team and a playoff-caliber type of team.
One of the top priorities facing London and his staff upon their arrival was reinvigorating the offense. William & Mary scored the fewest points in the CAA last season by a considerable margin.
First-year offensive coordinator Brennan Marion implemented the GoGo scheme, which immediately turned around Howard previously.
To deem the GoGo an offshoot of any one system wouldnt be accurate: Rather, this hurry-up approach is a hybrid of multiple looks, sometimes lining up multiple wide receivers with two running backs alongside the quarterback; other times going in a Pistol look.
The variety of the offense, which includes zone-read and option principles, keeps defenses on their heels. At William & Mary, the GoGos started to unlock potential in the run game. Quarterback Hollis Mathis and running backs Owen Wright and Albert Funderburke have all broken off long runs this season while sharing carries.
At Howard, the offense thrived with a multifaceted passing attack that parts still in development with freshman quarterback Mathis at William & Mary.
The bulk of the passing yardage on Saturday is likely to come from the other side, with UAlbany coming in posting 229.3 yards per game.
UAlbanys passing attack is possible thanks to a deep and talented rotation of wide receivers. Juwan Green ranks ninth in the nation with 408 receiving yards, and his six touchdowns are tied with Houston Baptists Ben Ratzlaff for second-most.
The receiving corps feeds off quarterback Jeff Undercuffler, who Gattuso said is progression well in his first full season as starter.
He has a good complement of people around him. He needs to trust them and understand he doesnt have to do everything himself, and I think he is, Gattuso said.
UAlbanys shown it can attack as effectively on the ground as through the air. The Great Danes have a capable one-two combination in Karl Mofor and Alex James; the latter won Week 2 CAA Offensive Player of the Week after decimating Bryant with 229 yards.
Mofors been the primary ball-carrier the rest of the way. He also adds an element to the passing game, making him the clear every-down back for UAlbany.
Hes multi-dimensional, Gattuso said of Mofor. Hes an exceptional blocker and a great pass receiver.
Its all-hands-on-deck for the Great Danes pass-catchers against one of the CAAs premier pass defenses. The Tribe have picked off six passes in four games, including Arman Jones pick-six, and one from All-CAA defensive back Isaiah Laster.
A theme from last seasons 25-22 William & Mary win that looms this year is UAlbanys red-zone efficiency. The Tribes outstanding defense forced the Great Danes into three field goals in the red zone a year ago. Turn even one of those into a touchdown and extra point, and its a UAlbany win.
A byproduct of or perhaps a reason for UAlbanys offensive improvement thus far in 2019 lies in its red-zone efficiency. The Great Danes are 10-for-10 when crossing the 20, with eight of those going for touchdowns.
Conversely, William & Marys been solid defending the red zone. Opponents have converted 14-of-17 opportunities, but nearly half of those scores (6) were field goals. The ability of the Tribes linebackers to drop back effectively into pass coverage while Bill Murray and Co. up front clog rushing lanes compacts the already-short field for opposing offenses.
Getting to the quarterback is a ubiquitous football phrase that carries different meanings. Doing so is equally important for both the UAlbany and William & Mary defenses on Saturday, but for different reasons.
William & Marys ball-hawking begins with intense pressure off the line. Murray and Carl Fowler lead a team-wide effort to produce almost three sacks per game. The Tribes 11 in total rank 20th in the nation.
Getting to Undercuffler is crucial to limiting the explosive pass plays that have been an early hallmark for the Great Danes.
On the flip side, UAlbanys defense getting to the quarterback is about limiting explosive gains, but more so at the first level than in the pocket. Mathis 52.8 rushing yards per game rank second for the Tribe, just behind Wrights 56. His contributions in the run game are especially important for igniting William & Marys approach.
UAlbanys been effective enough against the run, holding opponents to 4.1 yards per carry, but Mathis is the first truly dynamic dual-threat quarterback the Great Danes defense faces this season.
- Nature: Red head is feather in birds cap - The Columbus Dispatch - May 23rd, 2020
- North Branford 4th-Grader's Bright Idea Heads to National 'Invention Convention' - Zip06.com - May 23rd, 2020
- Dow Jones Heads Lower as IBM Cuts Jobs, Apple Stock Holds Its Ground on Podcast Plans - The Motley Fool - May 23rd, 2020
- Red Cross aid agency warns against any move to limit vaccine access - Reuters - May 23rd, 2020
- Red Sox first baseman Mitch Moreland named 2020 Jimmy Fund Captain - BoSox Injection - May 23rd, 2020
- What Are Your Freckles Trying to Tell You? - ELLE.com - May 23rd, 2020
- Get out in the sunshine and explore the Ash Valley with Jono's Nature Notes walk - Bishop's Stortford Independent - May 23rd, 2020
- Turkey Time | Sports - Murray Ledger and Times - May 3rd, 2020
- Murder Hornets Are The Latest Horror of 2020: Excruciating Stings, Ripping Heads Off Bees - Mediaite - May 3rd, 2020
- Clothing colour guide to suit greys, redheads, blondes and brunettes! - RSVP Live - May 3rd, 2020
- Learning to read the room is key to kindergarten success - Sydney Morning Herald - May 3rd, 2020
- TONY MELTON: Bringing the country to the city - SCNow - May 3rd, 2020
- Texas is right to take baby steps toward reopening the economy, but we have far to go - The Dallas Morning News - May 3rd, 2020
- Heads up: Stars and planets you can see from your backyard - WSPA 7News - May 3rd, 2020
- Military helicopter missing in sea between Italy and Greece - 95.7 News - May 3rd, 2020
- Red Bulls soccer: Holmdel native Sean Davis eager for 'day we can all be together again' - Asbury Park Press - May 3rd, 2020
- 'Heads stuck in the sand' - fury over warning not to offer coronavirus rates relief - Stuff.co.nz - May 3rd, 2020
- David Seaman reveals why there was no ill-feeling towards David Beckham after red card against Argentina in - talkSPORT.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Who Will Inherit the Queen's 100 Million Stamp Collection When She Dies? - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - May 3rd, 2020
- Are redheads more emotionally sensitive? - The Ginger Philes - ChicagoNow - April 26th, 2020
- Why Covid-19 Isolation Is Great For Redheads - The Ginger Philes - ChicagoNow - April 26th, 2020
- Oil heads for another weekly slide on coronavirus turmoil - WHBL News - April 26th, 2020
- NFL Draft proves sports are 'different' right now, but that doesn't have to mean worse | Giannotto - Commercial Appeal - April 26th, 2020
- Dynamic Women of Early Jazz and Classic Blues, Pt 2 | The Syncopated Times - The Syncopated Times - April 26th, 2020
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle put on a loved-up display in L.A. - New Idea - April 26th, 2020
- Forget tabs the new war is commas versus spaces: Web heads urged by browser devs to embrace modern CSS - The Register - April 26th, 2020
- Interview with the greatest living fighter ace: F-14 pilot Col. (rtd) Fereydoun A. Mazandarani (he scored ... - The Aviation Geek Club - April 26th, 2020
- Thoughts on the Red Sox punishment, Gronks un-retirement, and other picked-up pieces - The Boston Globe - April 26th, 2020
- A new ode to Spring, from gambolling lambs to pale wood anemones and the rabbity-nosed velvet of ash buds - Country Life - April 26th, 2020
- Elton John, Tyler Oakley and Jesse Tyler Ferguson named among the worlds most influential redheads of 2020 - PinkNews - March 26th, 2020
- Weather at Home - How to Make Your Own Thermometer - WIFR - March 26th, 2020
- Five Guys A Week: Awkward moment woman only attracted to ginger men is surrounded in lounge - Mirror Online - March 26th, 2020
- Black Mom on Why She Was Accused of Kidnapping Son With Red Hair - BET - March 26th, 2020
- 3 Reasons Sex With Red Heads Is Simply the Best - SheKnows - March 26th, 2020
- Mayor Clears Red Tape, Tells City Departments to Take Actions Against Coronavirus - NBC Southern California - March 26th, 2020
- Workers' control against the pandemic William Lewis 25 Mar - Red Flag - March 26th, 2020
- Schitts Creek Recap: A Day in the Big Red Delicious - Vulture - March 26th, 2020
- Unlucky in love Parr Hall team member to appear on dating show Five Guys A Week - Warrington Guardian - March 26th, 2020
- LEGO Collectible Minifigures 71027 Series 20 celebrates the themes 10th anniversary [Review] - The Brothers Brick - March 26th, 2020
- Why do some men have red beards, but not red hair? - Live Science - March 16th, 2020
- Former All-American Red Heads player reflects ahead of Hall of Fame induction - 4029tv - March 16th, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Match in Red at Royal Albert Hall Event - E! NEWS - March 16th, 2020
- Bringing the craic to Jasper this St Patrick's Day Jasper's source for news, sports, arts, culture, and more - the fitzhugh - March 16th, 2020
- 90 year old Siloam Springs woman to be inducted into Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame - 4029tv - March 16th, 2020
- Trump to Discuss Economic Steps; Italy Halts Most Travel; Stocks and Oil Prices Plunge - The New York Times - March 16th, 2020
- Twitch star Dr Disrespect on life-changing money, gaming, and being a villain - The Verge - March 16th, 2020
- 'The Bachelor': Hannah Ann Sluss and Peter Weber's Breakup Timeline Fills in Every Red Flag - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - March 16th, 2020
- Sophie Skelton Interview About Outlander, the Fan Response to Brianna, and Her Character's PTSD - TownandCountrymag.com - March 16th, 2020
- ALFORD: Sometimes 'knot heads' don't tell you what you need to know - The Sentinel-Echo - March 16th, 2020
- Learning to live without football - The Irish News - March 16th, 2020
- Pigeons with 'Make America Great Again' hats glued to their heads released in Las Vegas - NBC News - February 28th, 2020
- 11 Celebrities You Didn't Know Were Redheads & 9 Who Actually Aren't - OK! - February 28th, 2020
- Appalachian Unsolved: The trucker who liked redheads - WBIR.com - February 28th, 2020
- Girls are reaching new heights in basketball, but huge pay gaps await them as professionals - Yahoo Sports - February 28th, 2020
- Red Robin's Next Act: 'Moments of Connection,' and Pizza - FSR magazine - February 28th, 2020
- Candlelight vigil expands in scope, offers information to take action | Penn State University - Penn State News - February 28th, 2020
- The Shriners College Classic tops the can't-miss college baseball series this weekend - NCAA.com - February 28th, 2020
- SA's market in the red, gold price heads to $1 700 - Moneyweb.co.za - February 28th, 2020
- Bernie's no radical: his agenda harks back to the framing of the U.S. constitution - Salon - February 28th, 2020
- "Larry the Flagman" heads home one last time; his own flags welcoming him - WQAD.com - February 28th, 2020
- Connor Wong, Acquired In Mookie Betts Trade, Turns Heads With Grand Slam For Red Sox - NESN - February 28th, 2020
- Kubica heads test with Alfa Romeo's best time so far - RaceFans - February 28th, 2020
- Play adaptation of 'The Kite Runner' heads to Dubai Opera - Arab News - February 28th, 2020
- CVC wrestlers projected to flourish in Region VI quarterfinals - The Trentonian - February 28th, 2020
- Two women turn heads in Kerala with my bra straps wont burn you and other signs - The News Minute - February 28th, 2020
- Traded Edmonton Oilers forward Sam Gagner moves into more important role with Red Wings - National Post - February 28th, 2020
- Theater review: Musical '9 to 5' offers up some sweet revenge - The Daily Gazette - January 19th, 2020
- Ed Wall: The King of Ducks - Havelock News - January 19th, 2020
- Lebanon to release protesters detained after night of riots - Daily Journal - January 19th, 2020
- Love Island twins Eve and Jess are unrecognisable in old school photos - The Sun - January 19th, 2020
- The Crossing: What to watch as impeachment heads to Senate - rdnewsnow.com - January 19th, 2020
- This Indigenous designer's gowns are turning heads on the red carpet and busting down barriers - CBC.ca - January 19th, 2020
- Teri Orr: The Year of the Rat leads down a rabbit hole - The Park Record - January 19th, 2020
- Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou heads back to B.C. court one year later - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2020
- Powerless Plays: Wings lose 4-1 and go 0 for 7 on the powerplay - Winging It In Motown - January 19th, 2020
- The most out-there Oscars red carpet fashion of all time - Global News - January 19th, 2020
- Where is the Red Belly? - cedarspringspost - January 5th, 2020
- This 'You' Star Admits They Were Completely Blindsided by That Shocking Season 2 Plot Twist - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - January 5th, 2020
- The Big Read Girl In Red: "World domination. That's what I want" - NME Live - January 5th, 2020
- Into the Archives: On Letters from Hollywood - lareviewofbooks - January 5th, 2020