Having studied at Annamalai University when it was one of the greatest higher educational institutions in the State with some of the best minds, Dravidian stalwart K. Anbazhagan, who died on Saturday, struck a balance between his literary pursuits and politics.
He ran a magazine named Puthuvaazhvu, which was launched on a Pongal Day in 1948.
But unlike Murasoli [founded by former Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi], Puthuvaazhvu confined politics to the editorials of the magazine. The other pages were dedicated to literature, social issues and book reviews. But it had no reservations when it came to criticising the Congress government, recalled K. Thirunavukkarasu, a historian of the Dravidian Movement.
Anbazhagan, who served as the general secretary of the DMK for 43 years till his death, was a great admirer of poet Subramania Bharati, though Dravidian leaders regarded Bharathidasan as the poet of their Movement.
If western scholars delve deep into Tamil and bring out its greatness, we appreciate their efforts. Similarly, we have to appreciate Bharathiar, and the question of his caste or race never comes into the picture, Anbazhagan had once told Mr. Thirunavukkarasu.
The DMK stalwart was keen on writing commentaries for Tirukkua and read almost every single work on the subject.
DMK founder C.N. Annadurai, who was lodged with him in jail in 1963, had recorded what he had seen in the cell.
Anbazhagan was surrounded by Valluvar. Yes. There was Parimelazhagars Valluvar, Parithimarkaignars Valluvar, Varatharasanars Valluvar, Ilakkuvanars Valluvar, Namakkallars Valluvar, Ki.Va. Jagannathans Valluvar and Manakkudavars Valluvar. He was writing a research book. I had the opportunity to discuss it with him, Annadurai had reminisced.
Anbazhagan later gave up the idea of writing commentaries on Tirukkua, arguing that there were already enough books on the subject. He did, however, author 30 books on various subjects, including literature, Tamil marriages and the Dravidian Movement.
While working at Pachaiyappas College, he would ride a bicycle to the premises. Recalling one of his classes in a book, Mu. Sathasivam, a former student of the college, noted: He taught Villibharatham for 40 minutes and dedicated 20 minutes to a conversation with students, and inculcated in them the idea of rationalism.
You have reached your limit for free articles this month.
Register to The Hindu for free and get unlimited access for 30 days.
Find mobile-friendly version of articles from the day's newspaper in one easy-to-read list.
Enjoy reading as many articles as you wish without any limitations.
A select list of articles that match your interests and tastes.
Move smoothly between articles as our pages load instantly.
A one-stop-shop for seeing the latest updates, and managing your preferences.
We brief you on the latest and most important developments, three times a day.
Not convinced? Know why you should pay for news.
*Our Digital Subscription plans do not currently include the e-paper ,crossword, iPhone, iPad mobile applications and print. Our plans enhance your reading experience.
Continue reading here:
- Bisexual Matilda star candidly recounts childhood struggle with OCD to explain why we should all listen to trans kids - PinkNews - May 17th, 2020
- Chair Designs by legendary designers that transformed the world of design - Yanko Design - May 17th, 2020
- Gresham College: Prof. Yorick Wilks The State of AI: War,Ethics and Religion #3/3 Artificial Intelligence and Religion - stopthefud - May 17th, 2020
- 5 things to watch for in the Budget - Otago Daily Times - May 17th, 2020
- Hal Foster on the art of Donald Judd - Artforum - May 3rd, 2020
- The See-Through House by Shelley Klein review a father's obsession - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Medical Professor urges health system reform in scathing review of COVID-19 response - Newshub - May 3rd, 2020
- MOHAMED BAKARI - The Return of the Repressed: Religion in the Fictions of Leila Aboulela and Marjorie Oludhe Macgoye - The Elephant - May 3rd, 2020
- Delingpole: Most Britons Still Too Scared to Leave Home - Breitbart - May 3rd, 2020
- Dancing around the COVID hammer - The Jakarta Post - Jakarta Post - April 26th, 2020
- Politicians beg for satire. All you have to do is be militantly realistic - The Irish Times - April 26th, 2020
- Dialogue: Relation of Mystery & Reason in Christianity - Patheos - March 13th, 2020
- A star promise: Rajinikanth, Kamal Haasan may find politics harder than doing the cigarette flick - Economic Times - March 13th, 2020
- Fetishisation of prayer is ruining Islam - Ahval - March 13th, 2020
- Accused Claremont killer's contamination theory in tatters as state wraps up its DNA evidence with a bang - Sydney Morning Herald - March 13th, 2020
- Webinar on Taiwan's Election: What Happened and What's Next? - US-China Institute - January 19th, 2020
- 52 ideas that changed the world - 31. Prison - The Week UK - January 19th, 2020
- Rhythm, Divination, and Naming in Jay Wright's Poetry - Hyperallergic - January 5th, 2020
- Explained: Savitribai Phules impact on womens education in India - The Indian Express - January 5th, 2020
- Why A U.S.-Iran War Isn't Going To Happen - The National Interest Online - January 5th, 2020
- The Art of Resistance: Kabir Kala Manch gives us a timeless song of defiance in times of repression - Scroll.in - January 5th, 2020
- How in the world did we get here? | TheHill - The Hill - December 18th, 2019
- Shriram Lagoo had courage to stick with the unconventional - The Hindu - December 18th, 2019
- Alliance Party defeats DUP in first declared result in Northern Ireland - Belfast Telegraph - December 18th, 2019
- What Christians Miss When They Dismiss Imaginatio... - ChristianityToday.com - December 18th, 2019
- For Johnsons Tories, the collapse of public trust isnt a problem its an opportunity - The Guardian - December 18th, 2019
- American actor and film producer William Bradley Pitt Celebrate Their Birthday Today - Feature Weekly - December 18th, 2019
- Connections: Humanism in South India and Beyond - The Humanist - October 1st, 2019
- Phon(y)es - NDSU The Spectrum - October 1st, 2019
- The Guardian view on a public health calamity: science facts need reinforcing - The Guardian - October 1st, 2019
- The Interest around Chandrayaan-2 hides the Gloomy Future of Research in (...) - Mainstream - October 1st, 2019
- Highlights from ARTBO 2019, the Colombian Art Fair, and Beyond - Cultured Magazine - October 1st, 2019
- How Far to Hope: A Review of Oslo at TimeLine Theatre Company and Broadway In Chicago - Newcity Stage - September 19th, 2019
- Hitler the Progressive | Peter Hitchens - First Things - September 19th, 2019
- CULTURE Florence Tennis Club - The Florentine - September 19th, 2019
- Wicked! Modern Art's Interest in the Occult - frieze.com - September 19th, 2019
- Professor Aggasiz - Letter | Falmouth Opinion - CapeNews.net - September 19th, 2019
- Living with ALS: The Three S's of life Spontaneity, Serendipity and... - Communities Digital News - September 19th, 2019
- 70 years on, anti-Hindi imposition becomes DMKs war cry once again - The News Minute - September 19th, 2019
- BBC - Religions - Atheism: Rationalism - June 1st, 2019
- What is CR? - critical rationalism blogcritical ... - June 1st, 2019
- Rationalism and Empiricism - Ohio Northern University - June 1st, 2019
- Rationalism | Britannica.com - May 22nd, 2019
- Rationalism - History of rationalism | Britannica.com - April 26th, 2019
- Critical rationalism - Wikipedia - March 30th, 2019
- Rationalism - RationalWiki - January 26th, 2019
- Rationalism: Examples and Definition | Philosophy Terms - January 26th, 2019
- critical rationalism blog - An exploration of critical ... - December 15th, 2018
- Rationalism - New World Encyclopedia - October 8th, 2018
- Difference Between Empiricism and Rationalism - October 8th, 2018
- Critique of Pure Reason - Wikipedia - October 4th, 2018
- Philosophical Battles: Empiricism versus Rationalism - August 8th, 2018
- Rationalism, Continental | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy - June 25th, 2018
- Free rationalism Essays and Papers - 123HelpMe - June 25th, 2018
- Rationalism vs. Romanticism | Ramblings of a Psychology ... - March 16th, 2018
- What is CR? - critical rationalism blog - February 28th, 2018
- Hyperrationalism - February 26th, 2018
- Theory of Knowledge Rationalism - February 13th, 2018
- Empiricism versus Rationalism - Mesa Community College - February 13th, 2018
- rationalism facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia ... - February 6th, 2018
- Philosophy for Life: An Interview With Jules Evans - HuffPost - August 24th, 2017
- Kerala Chief Minister presents MC Joseph award to litterateur MK Sanu - The New Indian Express - August 24th, 2017
- Alexander: One fleeting victory for reason - Quad City Times - August 24th, 2017
- Grace Mugabe debacle depicts the struggle between legal positivism and political realism - Bulawayo24 News (press release) (blog) - August 24th, 2017
- POINT OF VIEW: Today's GOP needs another William F. Buckley Jr. - Palm Beach Post - August 24th, 2017
- Review: In 'Good Karma Hospital,' Some Familiar TV Templates ... - New York Times - August 21st, 2017
- Op/Ed: Hate is a dangerous thing - The Times of Chester County - August 18th, 2017
- Empiricism as Foundational - Patheos (blog) - August 16th, 2017
- Pssst, wanna know a secret? MongoDB has confidentially filed for IPO, reports suggest - The Register - August 16th, 2017
- From Darwin to Damore - the ancient art of using "science" to mask prejudice - New Statesman - August 16th, 2017
- Transforming Health: The divisive wash-up - InDaily - August 15th, 2017
- Zaretsky: The best 'ism' to explain our time - Daily Commercial - August 15th, 2017
- How America Lost Its Mind - The Atlantic - August 12th, 2017
- The philosopher who poisoned German theology - Catholic Herald Online (blog) - August 12th, 2017
- Hegelianism - Wikipedia - August 11th, 2017
- The best ism to explain our time: Surrealism, which turns 100 this year - Los Angeles Times - August 11th, 2017
- How Silicon Valley's Workplace Culture Produced James Damore's Google Memo - The New Yorker - August 11th, 2017
- Muslims and Modernism - Kasmir Monitor - August 11th, 2017
- How well do you know your suburb? - Daily Advertiser - August 11th, 2017
- Arithmetic Is on China's Side - Truthdig - August 10th, 2017