Looking for a post-lockdown getaway? Let Andrea Pearsonbe your guide with this selection of hotels on some ofScotlands most remote and beautiful islands...
Contrast the romance of the Orkneys Islands ancient past with the taste of contemporary Scottish cuisine at The Foveran, the islands beloved restaurant with rooms overlooking the sparkling waters of Scapa Flow.
The family-run hotel is a foodie paradise having twice won the Orkney Food Festival Best Evening Meal Award. Chef and proprietor Paul Doull sources local livestock, fish, and a surprising array of fruit and vegetables grown in the long hours of summer daylight to create seasonal menus. Kirkwall Bay scallops, lobsters and langoustines are among the star attractions, along with grass-fed beef, Grimbister Farm cheese and North Ronaldsay mutton which gets its distinctive texture and flavour from feeding on seaweed along the rugged island shoreline.
Finish the day with a dram of famous Highland Park whisky from Kirkwall. The kitchen also keeps the tradition of baking bere bunno or bannock, using stone-ground beremeal flour from the Barony Mill.
All eight of the rooms have recently been renovated to create the perfect stop between visits to some of the islands Neolithic sites.
2. Jurassic lark
Perhaps Scotlands most romantic island, Skye offers rocky skylines, sandy beaches, castles, ancient monuments, and other-worldly geology if you are very lucky you might spot an actual dinosaur footprint. The four-star Marmalade hotel in Portree is a beautiful blend of historic manor house and contemporary architecture. Any time here is best spent sitting back to allow the dramatic landscapes envelop you like a huge tartan blanket.
The rooms and suites are contemporary and exquisitely stylish, but it is the views from the generously-sized windows that really make you realise that you are not in Kansas any more. Drink in the wonderful landscapes while enjoying complete comfort in your room with Nespresso coffee machines, Bose music systems, and beds draped in luxurious linens.
And new for this year is a stylish and Covid-safe outdoor seating area where the evening can be enjoyed around a roaring fire in the firepit.
By day, explore the lush gardens to enjoy the views over the harbour village and the Cuillins. Every stay in the hotel is completed by fine dining in the hotels excellent Chargrill restaurant.
Scarista House on Harris is quite simply one of the most beautiful and remote places to stay in Scotland, with amazing views of the Atlantic Ocean, heather-covered mountains, and a three-mile long sandy beach.
This comfortable, elegant hotel and restaurant is set within a 200-year-old manse with 3ft-thick walls, atmospherically creaky floorboards, and real fires.
Cooking is a serious business, and the menu is meticulously created using as much organic, wild and homegrown produce as is possible, while all bread, cakes, biscuits and ice cream are homemade.
Scarista House is the only Outer Hebrides restaurant to be featured in Alastair Sawdays Eat Slow Britain, and it is listed in the Michelin Guide. It is also the kind of place to bring the dog (by arrangement) for a good run on the beach and resident pooches Brodie and Maud are very welcoming.
Ever dreamed about having your own island? A stay at the Isle of Eriska Hotel, Spa and Island can make this a reality.
And you dont even need to negotiate yourself on and off the CalMac ferry this island is joined to the mainland, just north of Oban, via a small, private bridge. Relax in your private island hideaway as Highland cattle graze, badgers visit, and otters and grey seals swim in and out of the sparkling seaweed along the shorelines.
Or live the sporting life by joining in traditional activities such clay pigeon shooting, archery or Viking-inspired axe throwing. With a nine-hole golf course and the chance of croquet on the lawn, it is very much a lairds weekend.
5. For peats sake
For a truly indulgent break away filled with luxuries and seven miles of bleached white sands, it might be hard to beat the wonder that is the Machrie Hotel & Golf Links. Islay is, of course, peated whisky heaven and a birdwatchers paradise, but The Machrie now adds a championship links golf course into the mix.
Originally an 18th-century farmhouse, The Machrie reopened in 2018 with 47 new rooms, suites and lodges enjoying stunning views across the links or to the sea. Find apres-golf (or even anti-golf) treats at the hotels gym and spa or book a trip with Islay Sea Adventure to see seals, white-tailed sea eagles, and occasionally a basking shark.
On fine evenings, dine on the outdoor terrace overlooking the sea and top the day off with some of Scotland very finest whiskies. Slainte.
6. Coll of the wild
The little island of Coll, all 13 miles by three miles of it, offers the epitome of social distancing. And if the call of Coll gets you in summer 2021, The Coll Hotel as the only hotel and pub on the island is where you will probably find yourself.
The hotel is known for delicious, freshly-caught seafood expect lobster, crab and langoustine as well as delicious Hebridean grass-fed lamb. As is the case with many a small island kitchen, homemade just about everything is the order of the day.
A stunning array of chutneys, marmalade, jams, pickles, breads, ice cream, and pastas are all made at the hotel. By day, explore the could-be-the-Caribbean beaches or take the binoculars to spot birds in the remote but spectacular RSPB reserve.
Originally posted here:
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 12th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 12th, 2021
- Dusit International subsidiary Elite Havens recognised for offering one of 'The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals' in new Netflix series -... - July 12th, 2021
- Attempt to Spend Elon Musk's $160 Billion Wealth With This Online Simulator - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- How Neighbor Islands Are Working To Address Overtourism In Hawaii - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 12th, 2021
- Islands receive more than $2 million in recreation... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - July 12th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - Markets Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Revisiting 'The Island of Dr. Moreau': Marlon Brando's fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 12th, 2021
- Carnivals First Cruise Live Blog: Day 7, Heading Home (and a COVID Test) - Cruzely.com - July 12th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 10th, 2021
- The Best Smaller Islands to Visit in the BVIs - AFAR Media - June 10th, 2021
- Norwegian Donates $25000 to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation - Cruise Industry News - June 10th, 2021
- The 15 most beautiful Scottish islands to visit - goodhousekeeping.com - June 10th, 2021
- This Entire B.C. Island Could Be Yours For Less Than $640000 - 604 Now - June 10th, 2021
- St Barts to re-open its borders to vacationers on June 9 - GlobeNewswire - June 10th, 2021
- Celebrate World Oceans Day 2021 All Year Round At These Sustainable Luxury Resorts - Forbes - June 10th, 2021
- Why agents need to have villas and private homes in their sights - TTG - June 10th, 2021
- Privacy Is the New Luxury: 5 Caribbean Destinations Offering Ultra-Luxe Experiences - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2021
- Be the ruler of your own island on BC's Sunshine Coast for just over $1 million - BC News - Castanet.net - June 10th, 2021
- This Riviera-inspired island resort will be the ultimate party hotspot - What's On - June 10th, 2021
- Escape the island with a staycation on a smaller one - BreakingNews.ie - April 5th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 5th, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 5th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - April 5th, 2021
- Camping Returns To Apostle Islands National Lakeshore - National Parks Traveler - April 5th, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - April 5th, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- Valentine's Special: 16 Spectacular Heart-Shaped Islands and Lakes on Earth (PHOTOS) | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - February 15th, 2021
- Skulls, Private Islands, And Wu-Tang: Fun Things Jeff Bezos Could... - 2oceansvibe News - February 15th, 2021
- Dream Honeymoons: A Stopover in Dubai Makes this Maldives Adventure Doubly Sweet - My New Orleans - February 15th, 2021
- Can You Afford to Live on a Cruise Ship With Social Security Alone? - Cruzely.com - February 15th, 2021
- Privacy is the New Luxury: The World's Most Exclusive Villa Holidays to Book For 2021 - Luxury Travel Magazine - February 15th, 2021
- 19 things to know before your first trip to the Maldives - Cond Nast Traveller India - February 15th, 2021
- Luxury, waterfront home on Venice Island listed at $3.5M - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 15th, 2021
- Things to do in Maldives, where the world seems headed this year-end - Moneycontrol.com - December 5th, 2020
- Is Princess Plus Worth It? Program Details and What to Know - Cruzely.com - December 5th, 2020
- Conspiracy theories are a threat to democracy - Canton Repository - December 5th, 2020
- Juliet Twena: The 'must see' sights on my bucket list - part one - Jersey Evening Post - December 5th, 2020
- 15 Biggest Islands on Earth - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2020
- How to Plan the Ultimate Caribbean Luxury Vacation - Caribbean Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Escape To The Secret Sophistication of The Florida Keys - Ocean Drive Magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line has 2022 itineraries and an update on Disney Wish - Travelweek - October 19th, 2020
- D'Aguilar: Be patient on tourism restart - EyeWitness News - October 19th, 2020
- Ngpuhi protesters prepared to stand in front of bulldozers to stop development on whi tapu land - RNZ - October 19th, 2020
- Miss 'overseas' holidays? Head to the Hauraki Gulf - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Beaver Island Retreat, In Up-North Michigan Indianapolis Monthly - Indianapolis Monthly - October 19th, 2020
- Airlines really want you to fly this winter, and these Caribbean islands are ready for tourists - The Dallas Morning News - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- 'We lost ourselves': Future Islands, the synthpop band who nearly blew it - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- French bank BNP is asked for information on Jeffrey Epstein's wealth - Independent.ie - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Businesses Are Soon Going To Be Lovin' It. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- Belize Reopens: Heres The Ultimate Secluded Getaway - Forbes - October 8th, 2020
- Privately funded search team claims to have found possible signs of life on islands near where Gulf Livestock 1 sank - 9News - October 8th, 2020
- Government To Discuss Reopening Protocols With Service Industry - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- The perfect fix for your travel itch comes in the form of private jets - Lifestyle Asia - October 8th, 2020
- Cayman Islands Removed from the EU Blacklist | Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- These New Luxury Blimps Hope to Become the Superyachts of the Skies - Robb Report - August 20th, 2020
- Hot Property: Eagle Island - Cowboys and Indians - August 20th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos is open, but some resorts are closed - Travel Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- The rise of the 'jetcation': How hotels are using private jets to entice customers - Telegraph.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- 13 Underrated Places That Americans Are Allowed to Visit Now - Best Life - August 20th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live Permanently Not There - Yahoo Finance - August 20th, 2020
- Seabourn works to grow events business in wake of Covid-19 suspension - Breaking Travel News - August 20th, 2020
- South Korea's Jeju Island Selects ICONLOOP Blockchain Technology for Private, Secure COVID-19 Contact Tracing A new blockchain-based mobile app... - August 20th, 2020
- Vakkaru Maldives' Unmatched New Hospitality Concept Will Take the Utmost Care of You - Hospitality Net - August 10th, 2020
- Bridesmaid for Princess Diana was guest on Jeffrey Epstein's island and flew in his jets - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- How to Visit Someones Island in Dreams in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How-To Geek - August 10th, 2020
- Resorts reopen in Maldives as travel restrictions lift - Breaking Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Paradise beaches, cocktails and hiking trails in Mauritius and you can stay at 6k-a-night hotel for 1,250 - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- PM lifts restrictions on southern islands, 20 new cases reported - EyeWitness News - August 10th, 2020
- A promise is a promise at least to these two - Coastal Point - August 10th, 2020
- The Good Place Season 3: The Best One-Liners of The Season - TheThings - August 10th, 2020
- Five of the worlds best private islands for sale - Financial Times - August 8th, 2020
- Chinas secret war on America, a Fox News sex scandal, and a space-time wormhole in this weeks dubious tabloids - Boing Boing - August 8th, 2020
- Recycling being boosted on holiday island of Santorini | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- St. Barts Travel: 7 Things Not To Miss When Visiting the Island - Forbes - August 8th, 2020
- The Nautilus Maldives refreshed and ready to reopen on 1 September - ITCM - August 7th, 2020