Amid a post-pandemic tourism surge, Hawaiis counties are rethinking their reliance on the visitor industry with new laws meant to stem the flood of visitors.
Kauai is considering a new visitor parking fee at overcrowded beaches. The Hawaii County Council recently weighed the pros and cons of defunding Big Island tourism promotion since, regardless of marketing efforts, visitors seem to keep coming anyway.
Last week the Maui County Council introduced its toughest measure yet when it adopted a ban on new hotels in south and west Maui. No building permits will be given out for visitor accommodations in these areas, which includes Lahaina and Kihei, for up to two years.
Short of shuttering existing hotels, the ordered halt on new hotel construction is arguably the most substantial move the county could make considering it has no control over the number of rental cars on the roads or the number of airplanes flying in.
The changes come at a time when the Hawaii Tourism Authority, facing a shrinking budget, is shifting to take on a bigger role in managing tourism instead of mainly focusing on marketing Hawaii to the world.
State lawmakers this week underscored their dissatisfaction with the agencys efforts so far at tourism management by overriding Gov. David Iges veto of House Bill 862, which slashes the Hawaii Tourism Authoritys annual budget to $60 million from $79 million.
HTA President and CEO John De Fries said in a prepared statement that the agency going forward will collaborate at the federal, state and county levels more than ever before to alleviate concerns.
He pointed to the new Maui ALOHA Shuttle pilot program that launched July 3 to help reduce airport chaos amid a rental car shortage as an example of a creative solution generated in partnership between HTA and Maui County.
But some county officials raised questions about whether more promised collaborative efforts can come fast enough as the state seems to be losing its window to implement any real change to the industry post-pandemic.
Its like if youre stuck under a woodpile, which is kind of what tourism is, and it just keeps piling on while youre trying to figure out how to get out from under it, said Maui County Councilwoman Kelly Takaya King, who championed Mauis hotel moratorium. You wouldnt keep piling on more and more wood while youre trying to figure out how to stop the wood, right?
With overseas travel still restricted, Hawaiis desirability as a post-pandemic getaway for mainland tourists is soaring. But with restaurants and tours still operating at limited capacity and dire labor and rental car shortages, tourists are flooding an island chain thats perhaps less equipped than ever to cater to them.
Popular opinion is that something has to give to rein in the visitor industrys intrusion on the daily lives of residents fed up with traffic jams, overcrowded beaches and illegal parking.
Maui has become so inundated with tourists in recent months that the islands mayor asked airlines to cut back on flights. But the counties have no control over the number of flights coming to the islands. So while King said she appreciates the mayors efforts to ask the airlines to cut back, she said its really just semantics.
The council is going to take action where we can, and talking to the state or talking to the airlines is not action, King said. Its a request for someone else to take action. And we appreciate that the mayor is trying to do that, but the people are demanding action.
What is Fault Lines?
Although the states tourism authority is renewing its efforts to partner with the counties since May, for example, the HTA has convened multi-agency meetings to discuss collaborative efforts to mitigate overtourism on the Hana Highway the counties arent waiting around to see if these efforts will actually be successful.
King said shes working to find out whether it would be a good idea for the county to further crack down on illegal vacation rentals by charging a fine to tourists who stay in unpermitted accommodations instead of only holding owners of illegal rentals accountable.
This has always been a normal pattern of behavior for the counties whenever they feel issues are not being adequately addressed at the state level, they address them themselves, said Mufi Hannemann, president and CEO of the Hawaii Lodging & Tourism Association and a seasoned politician.
This occurred during the pandemic a lot and its going to continue, he said. As much as we try to group them together as one, the counties see themselves as very different.
How many tourists is too many? Maui Countys strategic plan for the tourism industry defines it like this: the number of visitors on Maui at any given time should not exceed a third of the resident population.
That means that Maui, which has a population of 157,000, shouldnt have more than about 52,000 visitors at a time, or one tourist for every three residents.
In 2019, the average number of visitors was equivalent to 43% of Mauis population, or about 67,500 people, according to Dick Mayer, a retired UH Maui College professor who served as vice chairman of the committee that advised Maui County on setting the 33% threshold for Maui island visitors.
King said residents are no longer willing to put up with a level of tourism that violates the countys destination management plan.
People even before the pandemic were getting fed up with tourists and now everybody is exasperated, King said. It just came back too fast and too furious. So the momentum and the political will is there.
In contrast to whats happening on Maui, Kauai Mayor Derek Kawakami said his goal is not to slash the number of visitors to the Garden Isle but to manage them better once they arrive.
The county is working with the private sector to stand up alternative modes of transportation, such as shuttle systems, to help tourists navigate the island while reducing their dependency on daily car rentals that clog the roads.The county is also considering reengineering some beach parking lots to include a visitor shuttle drop-off lane.
And the mayor said hes considering ordering periodic shutdowns of county campgrounds to give the natural resources a break an idea inspired by the pandemic-related shutdowns, which had positive environmental impacts on popular beach parks.
Im not sure that me saying that I want to reduce the number of visitors is honest because I would be telling people something that sounds great but is very difficult to achieve, Kawakami said. But I do think we can address how these visitors are visiting our island and it all boils down to the amount of vehicles that are on our roads and taking up parking spaces.
A group formed in 2020 to identify Kauais strengths and weaknesses as a visitor destination cited poor leadership at the state and federal levels as the islands top threat, especially if communications between agencies dont improve.
Of particular concern to the group was overuse leading to poor conditions at state-managed beach parks.
When the state pulled back funding for lifeguards at several beach parks in April, including Kee Beach at Haena State Park on Kauai, Kawakami said the county stepped in to fill the budget hole.
I decided that you cannot compromise lives and so I paid out of our county pocket for lifeguards for the state, he said.
Its like when we have a visitor that needs to get rescued on a state trail we dont blink, Kawakami said. We send our county helicopter and our county firefighter to go rescue that visitor. And I think the biggest thing I would ask the state is to just treat me as a partner in that same way.
Sorry. That's an invalid e-mail.
Thanks! We'll send you a confirmation e-mail shortly.
See original here:
- From private islands to fancy cars, here are the things Jay-Z has gifted Beyonc - MSN UK - September 5th, 2021
- An incredible private island for sale in the Summer Isles at the price of a central London parking space - Country Life - September 5th, 2021
- Putin Says Private Businesses, Japanese Firms On Disputed Kurile Islands To Receive Tax Breaks - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty - September 5th, 2021
- Optimistic Researchers Say There Still Time To Head Off Climate Change Before It Starts Killing Rich People - The Onion - September 5th, 2021
- Hilton to Debut in Spectacular Santorini with Stunning Beachfront Property - Hospitality Net - September 5th, 2021
- The Return of the Dream Honeymoon - The New York Times - September 5th, 2021
- Punta Mita, Mexico, Is Having Its Day in the Sun - Mansion Global - September 5th, 2021
- Saint Lucia Island Innovation Ambassador to Participate at Virtual Island Summit 2021 - St. Lucia News From The Voice - The Voice St. Lucia - September 5th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 12th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 12th, 2021
- Dusit International subsidiary Elite Havens recognised for offering one of 'The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals' in new Netflix series -... - July 12th, 2021
- Attempt to Spend Elon Musk's $160 Billion Wealth With This Online Simulator - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 12th, 2021
- Islands receive more than $2 million in recreation... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - July 12th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - Markets Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Revisiting 'The Island of Dr. Moreau': Marlon Brando's fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 12th, 2021
- Carnivals First Cruise Live Blog: Day 7, Heading Home (and a COVID Test) - Cruzely.com - July 12th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 10th, 2021
- The Best Smaller Islands to Visit in the BVIs - AFAR Media - June 10th, 2021
- Norwegian Donates $25000 to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation - Cruise Industry News - June 10th, 2021
- The 15 most beautiful Scottish islands to visit - goodhousekeeping.com - June 10th, 2021
- This Entire B.C. Island Could Be Yours For Less Than $640000 - 604 Now - June 10th, 2021
- St Barts to re-open its borders to vacationers on June 9 - GlobeNewswire - June 10th, 2021
- Celebrate World Oceans Day 2021 All Year Round At These Sustainable Luxury Resorts - Forbes - June 10th, 2021
- Why agents need to have villas and private homes in their sights - TTG - June 10th, 2021
- Privacy Is the New Luxury: 5 Caribbean Destinations Offering Ultra-Luxe Experiences - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2021
- Be the ruler of your own island on BC's Sunshine Coast for just over $1 million - BC News - Castanet.net - June 10th, 2021
- This Riviera-inspired island resort will be the ultimate party hotspot - What's On - June 10th, 2021
- Escape the island with a staycation on a smaller one - BreakingNews.ie - April 5th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 5th, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 5th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - April 5th, 2021
- Camping Returns To Apostle Islands National Lakeshore - National Parks Traveler - April 5th, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - April 5th, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - April 5th, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- Valentine's Special: 16 Spectacular Heart-Shaped Islands and Lakes on Earth (PHOTOS) | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - February 15th, 2021
- Skulls, Private Islands, And Wu-Tang: Fun Things Jeff Bezos Could... - 2oceansvibe News - February 15th, 2021
- Dream Honeymoons: A Stopover in Dubai Makes this Maldives Adventure Doubly Sweet - My New Orleans - February 15th, 2021
- Can You Afford to Live on a Cruise Ship With Social Security Alone? - Cruzely.com - February 15th, 2021
- Privacy is the New Luxury: The World's Most Exclusive Villa Holidays to Book For 2021 - Luxury Travel Magazine - February 15th, 2021
- 19 things to know before your first trip to the Maldives - Cond Nast Traveller India - February 15th, 2021
- Luxury, waterfront home on Venice Island listed at $3.5M - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 15th, 2021
- Things to do in Maldives, where the world seems headed this year-end - Moneycontrol.com - December 5th, 2020
- Is Princess Plus Worth It? Program Details and What to Know - Cruzely.com - December 5th, 2020
- Conspiracy theories are a threat to democracy - Canton Repository - December 5th, 2020
- Juliet Twena: The 'must see' sights on my bucket list - part one - Jersey Evening Post - December 5th, 2020
- 15 Biggest Islands on Earth - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2020
- How to Plan the Ultimate Caribbean Luxury Vacation - Caribbean Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Escape To The Secret Sophistication of The Florida Keys - Ocean Drive Magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line has 2022 itineraries and an update on Disney Wish - Travelweek - October 19th, 2020
- D'Aguilar: Be patient on tourism restart - EyeWitness News - October 19th, 2020
- Ngpuhi protesters prepared to stand in front of bulldozers to stop development on whi tapu land - RNZ - October 19th, 2020
- Miss 'overseas' holidays? Head to the Hauraki Gulf - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Beaver Island Retreat, In Up-North Michigan Indianapolis Monthly - Indianapolis Monthly - October 19th, 2020
- Airlines really want you to fly this winter, and these Caribbean islands are ready for tourists - The Dallas Morning News - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- 'We lost ourselves': Future Islands, the synthpop band who nearly blew it - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- French bank BNP is asked for information on Jeffrey Epstein's wealth - Independent.ie - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Businesses Are Soon Going To Be Lovin' It. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- Belize Reopens: Heres The Ultimate Secluded Getaway - Forbes - October 8th, 2020
- Privately funded search team claims to have found possible signs of life on islands near where Gulf Livestock 1 sank - 9News - October 8th, 2020
- Government To Discuss Reopening Protocols With Service Industry - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- The perfect fix for your travel itch comes in the form of private jets - Lifestyle Asia - October 8th, 2020
- Cayman Islands Removed from the EU Blacklist | Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- These New Luxury Blimps Hope to Become the Superyachts of the Skies - Robb Report - August 20th, 2020
- Hot Property: Eagle Island - Cowboys and Indians - August 20th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos is open, but some resorts are closed - Travel Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- The rise of the 'jetcation': How hotels are using private jets to entice customers - Telegraph.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- 13 Underrated Places That Americans Are Allowed to Visit Now - Best Life - August 20th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live Permanently Not There - Yahoo Finance - August 20th, 2020
- Seabourn works to grow events business in wake of Covid-19 suspension - Breaking Travel News - August 20th, 2020
- South Korea's Jeju Island Selects ICONLOOP Blockchain Technology for Private, Secure COVID-19 Contact Tracing A new blockchain-based mobile app... - August 20th, 2020
- Vakkaru Maldives' Unmatched New Hospitality Concept Will Take the Utmost Care of You - Hospitality Net - August 10th, 2020
- Bridesmaid for Princess Diana was guest on Jeffrey Epstein's island and flew in his jets - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- How to Visit Someones Island in Dreams in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How-To Geek - August 10th, 2020
- Resorts reopen in Maldives as travel restrictions lift - Breaking Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Paradise beaches, cocktails and hiking trails in Mauritius and you can stay at 6k-a-night hotel for 1,250 - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020