Charita M. Goshay|The Repository
When I was little, I was a conspiracy theorist.
The shocking assassination of President John F. Kennedy, and thedevastated responses ofthe adults in my small universe,were profound and searing.
It was a traumatic introduction to the wider world.
The circumstances surrounding JFK's death spawneda cottage industry that's still going strong. A 2017 survey conducted by FiveThirtyEight found that 61 percent of Americans still don't believe accused assassin Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
No one wants to believe history can turn on a moment generated by a single, disaffected, lucky-shot twerp like Oswald, or John Wilkes Booth, James Earl Ray, orGavrilo Princip.
When I was a kid, there were fish-wraptabloids claiming that JFK wasn't really dead, that he actually was a wheelchair-bound vegetable being cared for on one of Aristotle Onassis' private islands.
I wanted to believe it because the alternativewas too hard to accept.Even now, when I see photos of the Kennedys in Dallas, I wish I could reach through time and tell them to get back on theplane.
There were rumors that Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was behindthe crime, and ifnot Johnson, thenFidel Castro, or maybe the mob, or the FBI/CIA/military-industrial complex.
It's a virtual cast of thousands all of whom managed to keep it a secret?
No matter.I gobbled it all downlike Boston baked beans.
But at some point, you have to put away childish things. John F. Kennedy was dead, and no amount of wishing or theorizing was going to bring him back.
For some people, the result of the recent election has become the stuff of conspiracy. Thosearguing that the results are bogus and riggedcannot fathom that more peoplevoted for incumbent President Donald Trump's opponent than for him.
They're ignoring that most down-ballot Republicans won their races. They're dismissing the math which shows that more eligible voters cast ballots this time than in 2016, including in Ohio, where 74 percent of eligible voters, cast a ballot.It's as if the lines of people waiting sometimes forhours to cast their votesnever happened, or thatthe ElectionAssistance Commission, Republican governorsandstate attorneys general, and former Department ofHomeland Security cybersecurity chief Christopher Krebs haven'tpublicly statedthat the Nov. 3 election was the safest ever.
Somesupporters have rejectedthe results of the recounts and the recounts of the recounts despite the dozens oftimes the federal courts have swatted down contentions that something is amiss.It denigrates the poll workers andboards of election stafferswho risked their health to ensure we could exercise our constitutional right to have a say in our government.
Last week, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit unanimously rejectedaccusations of "deep state" chicanery, withTrump-appointed Judge Stephanos Bibas writing:Free, fair elections are the lifeblood of our democracy. Charges of unfairness are serious. But calling an election unfair does not make it so. Charges require specific allegations and then proof. We have neither here.
We have a transactional president who can't seem to grasp how a judge might place more priority on followingthe law and precedentthan reciprocation for his or her appointment. This presents a serious threat previously seen only in banana republics. We've been so worried about the Russians; now we knowthe call is coming from inside the house.
Latching onto conspiracy theories because things didn't turn out the way you wantedisa rabbit hole that can corkscrewto the point whereit'll turn out that Barack Obama fixed the 1919 World Series, and Hunter Bidenkilled Biggie and Tupac.
History reminds us that many elections have been contested, including Kennedy's own, in which he won the popular vote by just 112,827votes, but capturing the Electoral College 303 to 219. Rumors persist that Kennedy was helped by the Democratic machinein Chicago, where the dead were saidto vote early and often.
Yethis opponent, Richard Nixon, did not weaponize the courts to get his way.
That would come later.
Sowing chaos and doubt when things don't go our way only servesto harm the nation's ability to move forward as it must.
Read the original post:
- From private islands to fancy cars, here are the things Jay-Z has gifted Beyonc - MSN UK - September 5th, 2021
- An incredible private island for sale in the Summer Isles at the price of a central London parking space - Country Life - September 5th, 2021
- Putin Says Private Businesses, Japanese Firms On Disputed Kurile Islands To Receive Tax Breaks - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty - September 5th, 2021
- Optimistic Researchers Say There Still Time To Head Off Climate Change Before It Starts Killing Rich People - The Onion - September 5th, 2021
- Hilton to Debut in Spectacular Santorini with Stunning Beachfront Property - Hospitality Net - September 5th, 2021
- The Return of the Dream Honeymoon - The New York Times - September 5th, 2021
- Punta Mita, Mexico, Is Having Its Day in the Sun - Mansion Global - September 5th, 2021
- Saint Lucia Island Innovation Ambassador to Participate at Virtual Island Summit 2021 - St. Lucia News From The Voice - The Voice St. Lucia - September 5th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 12th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 12th, 2021
- Dusit International subsidiary Elite Havens recognised for offering one of 'The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals' in new Netflix series -... - July 12th, 2021
- Attempt to Spend Elon Musk's $160 Billion Wealth With This Online Simulator - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- How Neighbor Islands Are Working To Address Overtourism In Hawaii - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 12th, 2021
- Islands receive more than $2 million in recreation... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - July 12th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - Markets Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Revisiting 'The Island of Dr. Moreau': Marlon Brando's fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 12th, 2021
- Carnivals First Cruise Live Blog: Day 7, Heading Home (and a COVID Test) - Cruzely.com - July 12th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 10th, 2021
- The Best Smaller Islands to Visit in the BVIs - AFAR Media - June 10th, 2021
- Norwegian Donates $25000 to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation - Cruise Industry News - June 10th, 2021
- The 15 most beautiful Scottish islands to visit - goodhousekeeping.com - June 10th, 2021
- This Entire B.C. Island Could Be Yours For Less Than $640000 - 604 Now - June 10th, 2021
- St Barts to re-open its borders to vacationers on June 9 - GlobeNewswire - June 10th, 2021
- Celebrate World Oceans Day 2021 All Year Round At These Sustainable Luxury Resorts - Forbes - June 10th, 2021
- Why agents need to have villas and private homes in their sights - TTG - June 10th, 2021
- Privacy Is the New Luxury: 5 Caribbean Destinations Offering Ultra-Luxe Experiences - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2021
- Be the ruler of your own island on BC's Sunshine Coast for just over $1 million - BC News - Castanet.net - June 10th, 2021
- This Riviera-inspired island resort will be the ultimate party hotspot - What's On - June 10th, 2021
- Escape the island with a staycation on a smaller one - BreakingNews.ie - April 5th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 5th, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 5th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - April 5th, 2021
- Camping Returns To Apostle Islands National Lakeshore - National Parks Traveler - April 5th, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - April 5th, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - April 5th, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- Valentine's Special: 16 Spectacular Heart-Shaped Islands and Lakes on Earth (PHOTOS) | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - February 15th, 2021
- Skulls, Private Islands, And Wu-Tang: Fun Things Jeff Bezos Could... - 2oceansvibe News - February 15th, 2021
- Dream Honeymoons: A Stopover in Dubai Makes this Maldives Adventure Doubly Sweet - My New Orleans - February 15th, 2021
- Can You Afford to Live on a Cruise Ship With Social Security Alone? - Cruzely.com - February 15th, 2021
- Privacy is the New Luxury: The World's Most Exclusive Villa Holidays to Book For 2021 - Luxury Travel Magazine - February 15th, 2021
- 19 things to know before your first trip to the Maldives - Cond Nast Traveller India - February 15th, 2021
- Luxury, waterfront home on Venice Island listed at $3.5M - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 15th, 2021
- Things to do in Maldives, where the world seems headed this year-end - Moneycontrol.com - December 5th, 2020
- Is Princess Plus Worth It? Program Details and What to Know - Cruzely.com - December 5th, 2020
- Juliet Twena: The 'must see' sights on my bucket list - part one - Jersey Evening Post - December 5th, 2020
- 15 Biggest Islands on Earth - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2020
- How to Plan the Ultimate Caribbean Luxury Vacation - Caribbean Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Escape To The Secret Sophistication of The Florida Keys - Ocean Drive Magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line has 2022 itineraries and an update on Disney Wish - Travelweek - October 19th, 2020
- D'Aguilar: Be patient on tourism restart - EyeWitness News - October 19th, 2020
- Ngpuhi protesters prepared to stand in front of bulldozers to stop development on whi tapu land - RNZ - October 19th, 2020
- Miss 'overseas' holidays? Head to the Hauraki Gulf - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Beaver Island Retreat, In Up-North Michigan Indianapolis Monthly - Indianapolis Monthly - October 19th, 2020
- Airlines really want you to fly this winter, and these Caribbean islands are ready for tourists - The Dallas Morning News - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- 'We lost ourselves': Future Islands, the synthpop band who nearly blew it - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- French bank BNP is asked for information on Jeffrey Epstein's wealth - Independent.ie - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Businesses Are Soon Going To Be Lovin' It. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- Belize Reopens: Heres The Ultimate Secluded Getaway - Forbes - October 8th, 2020
- Privately funded search team claims to have found possible signs of life on islands near where Gulf Livestock 1 sank - 9News - October 8th, 2020
- Government To Discuss Reopening Protocols With Service Industry - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- The perfect fix for your travel itch comes in the form of private jets - Lifestyle Asia - October 8th, 2020
- Cayman Islands Removed from the EU Blacklist | Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- These New Luxury Blimps Hope to Become the Superyachts of the Skies - Robb Report - August 20th, 2020
- Hot Property: Eagle Island - Cowboys and Indians - August 20th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos is open, but some resorts are closed - Travel Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- The rise of the 'jetcation': How hotels are using private jets to entice customers - Telegraph.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- 13 Underrated Places That Americans Are Allowed to Visit Now - Best Life - August 20th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live Permanently Not There - Yahoo Finance - August 20th, 2020
- Seabourn works to grow events business in wake of Covid-19 suspension - Breaking Travel News - August 20th, 2020
- South Korea's Jeju Island Selects ICONLOOP Blockchain Technology for Private, Secure COVID-19 Contact Tracing A new blockchain-based mobile app... - August 20th, 2020
- Vakkaru Maldives' Unmatched New Hospitality Concept Will Take the Utmost Care of You - Hospitality Net - August 10th, 2020
- Bridesmaid for Princess Diana was guest on Jeffrey Epstein's island and flew in his jets - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- How to Visit Someones Island in Dreams in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How-To Geek - August 10th, 2020
- Resorts reopen in Maldives as travel restrictions lift - Breaking Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Paradise beaches, cocktails and hiking trails in Mauritius and you can stay at 6k-a-night hotel for 1,250 - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020