Since 2008, when the UN General Assembly passed a resolution designating June 8 as World Oceans Day, the date has reminded those around the globe of the vital significance of the ocean: covering some 70% of the planet, it produces at least 50% of the earths oxygen, is home to most of its biodiversity, and is the main source of protein for more than a billion people worldwide.
With 90% of big fish populations now depleted and 50% of coral reefs destroyed, were taking more from the ocean than can be replenishedstark realities that inform this years theme, The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods, and the UNs reassertion of the commitment necessary to achieve its Sustainable Development Goal 14Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resourcesby 2030.
For the following inimitable resorts, conserving and sustainably using the oceans resources has long been a defining mission. By booking them, youll help directly support the crucial rehabilitation of our imperiled seas.
Baros Maldives has been a pioneer of Indian Ocean coral reef conservation and education since its ... [+] debut in 1973.
Since its opening in 1973, BarosMaldivessituated in the North Mal Atoll, just 25 minutes by speedboat from Mal International Airporthas been a pioneer of Indian Oceancoralreefconservationand education, a passion that manifests today in initiatives to improve the condition and biodiversity of its surrounding reefs. This year, Baros introduced coral cubes to encourage coral regeneration. Living coral fragments are attached with reef-safe glue to the plastic-free, reusable cubes and then placed directly on the reef, with the goal of afforesting areas damaged by crashing waves and weather events.
Guests of Baros Maldives can help preserve the region's fragile biodiversity by installing coral ... [+] cubes on damaged segments of surrounding coral reefs.
Guests of Baros can plant their own coral cubes and learn about the surrounding ecosystem. Baros resident marine biologists carefully monitor the cubes as part of the resorts conservation strategy.
If You Go: Rates at Baros Maldives start from $675 per night in a Deluxe Villa on a B&B basis, excluding taxes. For more information, visitbaros.com.
Miavana by Time + Tide, Madagascar
Nestled on a protected island with a full-time environmental team trained in wildlife monitoring and ... [+] reforestation, Miavana's approach to conservation is truly hands-on.
Surrounded by a pristine reef offering superb snorkeling and diving opportunities as well as turtle, whale, and dolphin watching, fly-fishing, and deep-sea fishing beyond the reef, Miavana by Time + Tideis a private-island hotel located on Nosy Ankao, off the northeast coast of Madagascar. With a conservation heritage dating back to 1950, the sustainability-mindedTime + Tide contributes more than $300,000 annually to community, health, education, andwildlife conservation through its Time + Tide Foundation.
Uniquely positioned on a protected island with a full-time environmental team trained in wildlife monitoring and reforestation, Miavana cultivates a truly hands-on approach to conservation. To date, its efforts include monitoring nesting sea turtles on Nosy Ankao, conducting marine and terrestrial biodiversity surveys, seabird ringing and monitoring, and championing a conservation program for crowned lemurs, an endangered species endemic to Madagascar.
If You Go:MavrosSafaris offers journeys to Madagascar from $11,384 per person based on two guests sharing, which includes three nights atMiavana, roundtriphelicopter transfers from Nosy Be, all meals,butler, selected premium wines, top-shelf spirits and bar drinks, laundry, conservation fees,selectshared activities, and roundtrip international flights to Nosy Be.
Islas Secas, Panama
Separated from mainland Panama by 20 miles of pristine ocean, Islas Secas offers guests an idyllic, ... [+] conservation-driven adventure.
Located in the Gulf of Chiriqu,theprivatelyownedIslasSecasseparated from mainland Panama by 20 miles of pristine seais an unrivaled destination for a marine-focused adventure with conservation at the fore. One of Central Americas best-kept secrets, the virtually untouched regionis home to sprawling coral reefs off PanamasruggedPacific coast, pristine beaches, and two vast, protected marine parks teeming with a plethora of underwater fauna and flora.
Designed to exist in seamless harmony with its surroundings, Islas Secas is designated an environmentally preserved protected area under Panamanian law. The privately funded Islas Secas Foundation also partners with conservation organizations to support efforts ranging from mangrove restoration to marine area protection, as well as environmental education in Chiriqu.
If You Go:RatesatIslasSecasstart from $1,500 per Casita, per night on an all-inclusive basis, including all F&B, select activities on and off-island, and road and boat transfers between the city of David Airport andIslasSecas.For more information, visitislassecas.com.
Indonesia's Bawah Reserve is located in one of the world's most biodiverse marine environments.
An under-the-radar group of six tropical islands in Indonesia's Anambas Archipelago, BawahReserve's protected lagoons and powder-white sandsoffer guests the opportunity to explore this remote paradise while contributing to protecting its future.A pioneer ineco-friendly practices and all-encompassing marine and forest conservation, the plastic-free resort is certified by WWF Signing Blue program (an Indonesia-based WWF conservation initiative) as a five-star destination for responsible marine tourismthe first resort in Indonesia to receive this distinction.
To help protect Bawahs surrounding seas, thereservelaunched theAnambasFoundationin 2018, an independent charity whose goal is to improve the overallecosystem. The foundation works alongside local communities to educate residents about ways to combat the negative impacts of fishing and waste management.In 2020,thefoundation launched new initiatives for mangrove conservation and integrated waste management (IWM) on the surroundingAnambasIslands. Guests can also spend time with Bawahs expert marine biologists who educate during snorkeling trips and kayaking adventures.
If You Go:Rates at Bawah Reserve start from $1,980 per night for two people on a full board basis including daily spa treatments, laundry, in-room minibar, a host of land and water-based activities. For more information visitbawahreserve.com.
- From private islands to fancy cars, here are the things Jay-Z has gifted Beyonc - MSN UK - September 5th, 2021
- An incredible private island for sale in the Summer Isles at the price of a central London parking space - Country Life - September 5th, 2021
- Putin Says Private Businesses, Japanese Firms On Disputed Kurile Islands To Receive Tax Breaks - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty - September 5th, 2021
- Optimistic Researchers Say There Still Time To Head Off Climate Change Before It Starts Killing Rich People - The Onion - September 5th, 2021
- Hilton to Debut in Spectacular Santorini with Stunning Beachfront Property - Hospitality Net - September 5th, 2021
- The Return of the Dream Honeymoon - The New York Times - September 5th, 2021
- Punta Mita, Mexico, Is Having Its Day in the Sun - Mansion Global - September 5th, 2021
- Saint Lucia Island Innovation Ambassador to Participate at Virtual Island Summit 2021 - St. Lucia News From The Voice - The Voice St. Lucia - September 5th, 2021
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 12th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 12th, 2021
- Dusit International subsidiary Elite Havens recognised for offering one of 'The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals' in new Netflix series -... - July 12th, 2021
- Attempt to Spend Elon Musk's $160 Billion Wealth With This Online Simulator - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- How Neighbor Islands Are Working To Address Overtourism In Hawaii - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 12th, 2021
- Islands receive more than $2 million in recreation... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - July 12th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - Markets Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Revisiting 'The Island of Dr. Moreau': Marlon Brando's fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 12th, 2021
- Carnivals First Cruise Live Blog: Day 7, Heading Home (and a COVID Test) - Cruzely.com - July 12th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 10th, 2021
- The Best Smaller Islands to Visit in the BVIs - AFAR Media - June 10th, 2021
- Norwegian Donates $25000 to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation - Cruise Industry News - June 10th, 2021
- The 15 most beautiful Scottish islands to visit - goodhousekeeping.com - June 10th, 2021
- This Entire B.C. Island Could Be Yours For Less Than $640000 - 604 Now - June 10th, 2021
- St Barts to re-open its borders to vacationers on June 9 - GlobeNewswire - June 10th, 2021
- Why agents need to have villas and private homes in their sights - TTG - June 10th, 2021
- Privacy Is the New Luxury: 5 Caribbean Destinations Offering Ultra-Luxe Experiences - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2021
- Be the ruler of your own island on BC's Sunshine Coast for just over $1 million - BC News - Castanet.net - June 10th, 2021
- This Riviera-inspired island resort will be the ultimate party hotspot - What's On - June 10th, 2021
- Escape the island with a staycation on a smaller one - BreakingNews.ie - April 5th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 5th, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 5th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - April 5th, 2021
- Camping Returns To Apostle Islands National Lakeshore - National Parks Traveler - April 5th, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - April 5th, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - April 5th, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- Valentine's Special: 16 Spectacular Heart-Shaped Islands and Lakes on Earth (PHOTOS) | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - February 15th, 2021
- Skulls, Private Islands, And Wu-Tang: Fun Things Jeff Bezos Could... - 2oceansvibe News - February 15th, 2021
- Dream Honeymoons: A Stopover in Dubai Makes this Maldives Adventure Doubly Sweet - My New Orleans - February 15th, 2021
- Can You Afford to Live on a Cruise Ship With Social Security Alone? - Cruzely.com - February 15th, 2021
- Privacy is the New Luxury: The World's Most Exclusive Villa Holidays to Book For 2021 - Luxury Travel Magazine - February 15th, 2021
- 19 things to know before your first trip to the Maldives - Cond Nast Traveller India - February 15th, 2021
- Luxury, waterfront home on Venice Island listed at $3.5M - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 15th, 2021
- Things to do in Maldives, where the world seems headed this year-end - Moneycontrol.com - December 5th, 2020
- Is Princess Plus Worth It? Program Details and What to Know - Cruzely.com - December 5th, 2020
- Conspiracy theories are a threat to democracy - Canton Repository - December 5th, 2020
- Juliet Twena: The 'must see' sights on my bucket list - part one - Jersey Evening Post - December 5th, 2020
- 15 Biggest Islands on Earth - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2020
- How to Plan the Ultimate Caribbean Luxury Vacation - Caribbean Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Escape To The Secret Sophistication of The Florida Keys - Ocean Drive Magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line has 2022 itineraries and an update on Disney Wish - Travelweek - October 19th, 2020
- D'Aguilar: Be patient on tourism restart - EyeWitness News - October 19th, 2020
- Ngpuhi protesters prepared to stand in front of bulldozers to stop development on whi tapu land - RNZ - October 19th, 2020
- Miss 'overseas' holidays? Head to the Hauraki Gulf - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Beaver Island Retreat, In Up-North Michigan Indianapolis Monthly - Indianapolis Monthly - October 19th, 2020
- Airlines really want you to fly this winter, and these Caribbean islands are ready for tourists - The Dallas Morning News - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- 'We lost ourselves': Future Islands, the synthpop band who nearly blew it - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- French bank BNP is asked for information on Jeffrey Epstein's wealth - Independent.ie - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Businesses Are Soon Going To Be Lovin' It. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- Belize Reopens: Heres The Ultimate Secluded Getaway - Forbes - October 8th, 2020
- Privately funded search team claims to have found possible signs of life on islands near where Gulf Livestock 1 sank - 9News - October 8th, 2020
- Government To Discuss Reopening Protocols With Service Industry - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- The perfect fix for your travel itch comes in the form of private jets - Lifestyle Asia - October 8th, 2020
- Cayman Islands Removed from the EU Blacklist | Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- These New Luxury Blimps Hope to Become the Superyachts of the Skies - Robb Report - August 20th, 2020
- Hot Property: Eagle Island - Cowboys and Indians - August 20th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos is open, but some resorts are closed - Travel Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- The rise of the 'jetcation': How hotels are using private jets to entice customers - Telegraph.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- 13 Underrated Places That Americans Are Allowed to Visit Now - Best Life - August 20th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live Permanently Not There - Yahoo Finance - August 20th, 2020
- Seabourn works to grow events business in wake of Covid-19 suspension - Breaking Travel News - August 20th, 2020
- South Korea's Jeju Island Selects ICONLOOP Blockchain Technology for Private, Secure COVID-19 Contact Tracing A new blockchain-based mobile app... - August 20th, 2020
- Vakkaru Maldives' Unmatched New Hospitality Concept Will Take the Utmost Care of You - Hospitality Net - August 10th, 2020
- Bridesmaid for Princess Diana was guest on Jeffrey Epstein's island and flew in his jets - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- How to Visit Someones Island in Dreams in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How-To Geek - August 10th, 2020
- Resorts reopen in Maldives as travel restrictions lift - Breaking Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Paradise beaches, cocktails and hiking trails in Mauritius and you can stay at 6k-a-night hotel for 1,250 - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020