Even to those who havent read Robinson Crusoe, the idea of living alone on an island is a familiar daydream.
Particularly in these times of a pandemic, what could be better than holidaying alone on your own island, with as much space and privacy as you want?
It might sound unlikely, but it isnt, although you may need the necessary capital, says Farhad Vladi, a Hamburg-born real estate agent in Germany specialising in private islands.
The 75-year-old man, who says he himself was inspired by Crusoe, has been in the business for 50 years and has sold 3,000 islands, from Canada to the Seychelles and New Zealand.
There are around 12,000 private islands in the world, Vladi says.
But not everything that sticks out of the sea is worth having as a private island.
In order to get a building permit, for example, an island needs to be at least one hectare in size. It should be reachable by boat and look nice.
If youre set on buying your own private island, youll be limited to those countries where foreigners are allowed to buy one.
There are only about 40 countries where thats possible, Vladi says. Thailand, with its rich marine life, is not among them.
If you dont have tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to spare, many private islands up for sale can also be rented out for holidays at prices that arent very different from those of a good hotel, so long as you share the costs with friends or family.
But what about buying your own island? Isnt that something thats only for the super rich?
If you can afford a good car, you can afford an island, says Vladi.
On the east coast of Canada, for example, you can buy an island for US$50,000 (RM213,775) with nothing on it, of course. You can also buy one for US$30mil (RM1.28bil).
Its nice to have an island if you also have the freedom to travel to it when you want to. Its not good to be trapped on an island, says Vladi, who himself bought an island off New Zealand.
So whats it like spending all your time on an island? For every plan you have to have an alternative plan at the ready, says Nele Wree.
The weather can quickly destroy any plans you have.
Together with her partner Holger Spreer and her daughters Fenja and Ilvy, she has lived on the island of Hallig Suederoog, off the coast of northern Germany, for almost seven years.
It was a series of coincidences that led the 37-year-old art historian to become an island lessee. Spreer, a fisherman, also gave up his job when the pair landed jobs at the local councils coastal, park and marine protection department.
Six kilometres separate the 60ha island from the nearest big island Pellworm. Instead of power lines they have solar panels and diesel generators, though they are connected to the water mains.
Our main tasks are coastal and nature protection work and tourism. That includes securing the Hallig revetments, counting birds, monitoring the drift lines and lots more, she says.
They also look after more than 80 sheep and lambs, more than 20 ducks and geese, three cows, two mini pigs, one cat and six beehives.
People imagine it to be very romantic, that you spend the entire day together as a couple. But its more of a working community, says Wree with a laugh. You constantly have to make decisions together.
Around 1,500 tourists visit Suederoog every year between May and October. Its only possible by taking a guided tour of the mudflats or from Pellworm, says Wree.
And visitors arent allowed to stay longer than an hour. She serves them homemade cakes and hearty soups.
The island inhabited by Alexander Selkirk, thought to have been the man the story of Robinson Crusoe was based on, is still shrouded in mystery.
On the Chilean island of Mas a Tierra, whose name was officially changed to Robinson Crusoe Island in 1966, a real pirate treasure is supposed to be buried: at least 800 sacks of gold. It could be worth a visit if you want a real adventure. dpa
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 10th, 2021
- The Best Smaller Islands to Visit in the BVIs - AFAR Media - June 10th, 2021
- Norwegian Donates $25000 to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation - Cruise Industry News - June 10th, 2021
- The 15 most beautiful Scottish islands to visit - goodhousekeeping.com - June 10th, 2021
- This Entire B.C. Island Could Be Yours For Less Than $640000 - 604 Now - June 10th, 2021
- St Barts to re-open its borders to vacationers on June 9 - GlobeNewswire - June 10th, 2021
- Celebrate World Oceans Day 2021 All Year Round At These Sustainable Luxury Resorts - Forbes - June 10th, 2021
- Why agents need to have villas and private homes in their sights - TTG - June 10th, 2021
- Privacy Is the New Luxury: 5 Caribbean Destinations Offering Ultra-Luxe Experiences - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2021
- Be the ruler of your own island on BC's Sunshine Coast for just over $1 million - BC News - Castanet.net - June 10th, 2021
- This Riviera-inspired island resort will be the ultimate party hotspot - What's On - June 10th, 2021
- Escape the island with a staycation on a smaller one - BreakingNews.ie - April 5th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 5th, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 5th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - April 5th, 2021
- Camping Returns To Apostle Islands National Lakeshore - National Parks Traveler - April 5th, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - April 5th, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - April 5th, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- Valentine's Special: 16 Spectacular Heart-Shaped Islands and Lakes on Earth (PHOTOS) | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - February 15th, 2021
- Skulls, Private Islands, And Wu-Tang: Fun Things Jeff Bezos Could... - 2oceansvibe News - February 15th, 2021
- Dream Honeymoons: A Stopover in Dubai Makes this Maldives Adventure Doubly Sweet - My New Orleans - February 15th, 2021
- Can You Afford to Live on a Cruise Ship With Social Security Alone? - Cruzely.com - February 15th, 2021
- Privacy is the New Luxury: The World's Most Exclusive Villa Holidays to Book For 2021 - Luxury Travel Magazine - February 15th, 2021
- 19 things to know before your first trip to the Maldives - Cond Nast Traveller India - February 15th, 2021
- Luxury, waterfront home on Venice Island listed at $3.5M - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 15th, 2021
- Things to do in Maldives, where the world seems headed this year-end - Moneycontrol.com - December 5th, 2020
- Is Princess Plus Worth It? Program Details and What to Know - Cruzely.com - December 5th, 2020
- Conspiracy theories are a threat to democracy - Canton Repository - December 5th, 2020
- Juliet Twena: The 'must see' sights on my bucket list - part one - Jersey Evening Post - December 5th, 2020
- 15 Biggest Islands on Earth - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2020
- How to Plan the Ultimate Caribbean Luxury Vacation - Caribbean Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Escape To The Secret Sophistication of The Florida Keys - Ocean Drive Magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line has 2022 itineraries and an update on Disney Wish - Travelweek - October 19th, 2020
- D'Aguilar: Be patient on tourism restart - EyeWitness News - October 19th, 2020
- Ngpuhi protesters prepared to stand in front of bulldozers to stop development on whi tapu land - RNZ - October 19th, 2020
- Miss 'overseas' holidays? Head to the Hauraki Gulf - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Beaver Island Retreat, In Up-North Michigan Indianapolis Monthly - Indianapolis Monthly - October 19th, 2020
- Airlines really want you to fly this winter, and these Caribbean islands are ready for tourists - The Dallas Morning News - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- 'We lost ourselves': Future Islands, the synthpop band who nearly blew it - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- French bank BNP is asked for information on Jeffrey Epstein's wealth - Independent.ie - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Businesses Are Soon Going To Be Lovin' It. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- Belize Reopens: Heres The Ultimate Secluded Getaway - Forbes - October 8th, 2020
- Privately funded search team claims to have found possible signs of life on islands near where Gulf Livestock 1 sank - 9News - October 8th, 2020
- Government To Discuss Reopening Protocols With Service Industry - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- The perfect fix for your travel itch comes in the form of private jets - Lifestyle Asia - October 8th, 2020
- Cayman Islands Removed from the EU Blacklist | Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- These New Luxury Blimps Hope to Become the Superyachts of the Skies - Robb Report - August 20th, 2020
- Hot Property: Eagle Island - Cowboys and Indians - August 20th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos is open, but some resorts are closed - Travel Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- The rise of the 'jetcation': How hotels are using private jets to entice customers - Telegraph.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- 13 Underrated Places That Americans Are Allowed to Visit Now - Best Life - August 20th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live Permanently Not There - Yahoo Finance - August 20th, 2020
- Seabourn works to grow events business in wake of Covid-19 suspension - Breaking Travel News - August 20th, 2020
- South Korea's Jeju Island Selects ICONLOOP Blockchain Technology for Private, Secure COVID-19 Contact Tracing A new blockchain-based mobile app... - August 20th, 2020
- Vakkaru Maldives' Unmatched New Hospitality Concept Will Take the Utmost Care of You - Hospitality Net - August 10th, 2020
- Bridesmaid for Princess Diana was guest on Jeffrey Epstein's island and flew in his jets - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- How to Visit Someones Island in Dreams in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How-To Geek - August 10th, 2020
- Resorts reopen in Maldives as travel restrictions lift - Breaking Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Paradise beaches, cocktails and hiking trails in Mauritius and you can stay at 6k-a-night hotel for 1,250 - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- PM lifts restrictions on southern islands, 20 new cases reported - EyeWitness News - August 10th, 2020
- A promise is a promise at least to these two - Coastal Point - August 10th, 2020
- The Good Place Season 3: The Best One-Liners of The Season - TheThings - August 10th, 2020
- Five of the worlds best private islands for sale - Financial Times - August 8th, 2020
- Chinas secret war on America, a Fox News sex scandal, and a space-time wormhole in this weeks dubious tabloids - Boing Boing - August 8th, 2020
- Recycling being boosted on holiday island of Santorini | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- St. Barts Travel: 7 Things Not To Miss When Visiting the Island - Forbes - August 8th, 2020
- The Nautilus Maldives refreshed and ready to reopen on 1 September - ITCM - August 7th, 2020
- JOAN MULLER: Home is where the renovation is - Financial Mail - August 7th, 2020
- Hey, You Free on Friday for a Meeting and a Bank Heist? - The New York Times - August 7th, 2020
- Solitude and adventure on the Sunshine Coast - The Province - August 6th, 2020
- Water, Sand and Plenty of Elbow Room on 8 Wild, Protected Coastlines - The New York Times - August 6th, 2020
- Bermuda Introduces a One-Year Visa That Allows Digital Nomads to Work From an Island - Robb Report - August 2nd, 2020
- Jeffrey Epstein conspiracy theories? All the private island theories - Film Daily - August 2nd, 2020
- Tahiti and Bora Bora are Open to Travellers Again - Outlook India - August 2nd, 2020
- How the pandemic is piquing UHNW interest in private islands - - Spear's WMS - August 2nd, 2020
- Private island retreat project launched in the Abacos - EyeWitness News - August 2nd, 2020