Picture yourself flying through thick clouds. The visibility is zero. You can just about make out the flashing red lights at the end of the wing. In these situations pilots trust their navigation systems and people on the ground and we, in turn, trust them to land us safely so we can continue our lives.
Storm clouds aheadThis is how I feel every time I travel from Denmark to the UK. But the clouds I refer to are metaphorical.
Whilst clarity is in the air in Denmark following the election of a left-wing government in June, and we can more or less anticipate every single move theyre going to make more welfare, higher corporation taxes, reversals of most hardline policies brought in by the previous lot the same cant be said of one of Denmarks oldest allies and biggest trading partners.
Does anyone reading this really truly feel that Boris Johnson is in control of Britains national aeroplane? Writing this just days before the UK General Election, it feels like Britain is sitting aboard one of its famous Lancaster bombers at any moment, it could be blown out of the sky.
No man is an islandThe UK, contrary to popular belief, is not an island. It is, in fact, made up of over 6,000 islands.
Shakespeare summed up its landscape best when John of Gaunt given the usurping nature of his progeny, a David Cameron-like character if you like (more about him later) uttered these lines in Richard II.
This scepterd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by nature for herself. Against infection and the hand of war, this happy breed of men, this little world, this precious stone set in the silver sea.
Remember that the engelsk as the Danes so like to call the Brits are not the entire nation. And I feel that a disconnected Englishman like Johnson is not the man to rebuild our collection of islands after 10 years of neglect and austerity caused in the main by the political party he is the leader of.
Smash and grabIsland retreats are a welcome refuge from the pressures of the world, but they are increasingly being bought up by the insanely rich for their own devices the likes of Anders Holch Povlsen and Richard Branson, for example.
Nothing new in that, but when do the No-entry or the Private Property signs become the norm, and roads and paths once open to the public become no-go areas and start to rankle?
Imagine corporations and billionaires salivating at the thought of becoming even richer as they see a weakened Britain open to plunder. Johnson seems content to let this happen for some bizarre reason. Sadly, despite his own claims, he is no Winston Churchill.
Can Johnson with all his bluster really reunite the UK with whatever natural beauty that can be salvaged, or is absolutely everything in Discount Britain up for grabs? Can anyone with money just turn up and do what they like? We will soon know.
Lessons from JuraThe perils and mediocrity of cheap consumerism were highlighted and written about by George Orwell on a little Hebridean island called Jura, and lets face it: the writing was on the wall during David Camerons reign of austerity.
Curiously, perhaps, but the island of Jura is where Camerons wifes rather rich family have property. You might have heard of them: the Astors? Im sure theyve got plenty stored away to see out the storm. The rest of us will have to just close our eyes and hope as we come in to land in the darkness.
See the article here:
- Coronavirus Florida: Concern raised over boat access to spoil islands - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - March 25th, 2020
- Lets Do Away With Idea That the Coronavirus Treats Everyone Equally - The Mary Sue - March 25th, 2020
- The Maldives Are Still Open, and You Can Have the Run of the Raffles Resort There for $1 Million - Robb Report - March 25th, 2020
- V.I. Attorney General Walks Back Demand That Epstein Estate Dissolves Non-Disclosure Agreements Signed By The Pedophile's V.I. Employees Who May Have... - March 25th, 2020
- Five rich people who are not handling the coronavirus crisis well at all - The Canary - March 25th, 2020
- Why AI might be checking into hotels sooner than you think | Travel Industry News & Conferences - Eye For Travel - March 25th, 2020
- Prince Andrew's accuser was asked to carry Epstein's baby - Telegraph.co.uk - March 25th, 2020
- 2 Private Schools in the USVI are Using Our Conference Call Tools to Teach Students Remotely - State of the Territory News - March 25th, 2020
- You Can Rent This Fully-Staffed Island in the Philippines for Just $97 a NightIf You Bring 15 Friends - HouseBeautiful.com - February 29th, 2020
- Disney Is Building an Exclusive Resort on a Private Island in The Bahamas - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 29th, 2020
- Always Wanted To Book An Exclusive Private Island For Your Vacation? Here's How - Singapore Tatler - February 29th, 2020
- Top airports for private aviation in the Caribbean* - Travel Daily News International - February 29th, 2020
- Where to stay on St. John - The Glen Rose Reporter - February 29th, 2020
- Witness says he saw Prince Andrew grope Virginia Roberts on Jeffrey Epsteins island - New York Post - February 29th, 2020
- Cruise Ship Allowed to Dock in Cozumel After Being Denied by Two Other Ports - Cruise Hive - February 29th, 2020
- Seaside Finolhu becomes the first luxury resort in Maldives to be accepted as a member of Design Hotels - Travel Daily News International - February 29th, 2020
- Bob Hope And James Cagney Partied At This $6 Million Beach House - Forbes - February 29th, 2020
- Private Islands AWE - February 12th, 2020
- Top 10 Valentines Day Gift Ideas for the Travel Obsessed Couple - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- Hotel Wrap: Ovolo's brand evolution, Thai resort's new 'Zenergy' retreat + MORE! - Travel Weekly - February 12th, 2020
- Thousands of Trees Are Disappearing From Islands in the Maldives - Atlas Obscura - February 12th, 2020
- Port of Baltimore handled most cargo ever in 2019 - American Journal of Transportation - February 12th, 2020
- Noorin Shereef explores the wondrous island of Okinawa - Onmanorama - February 12th, 2020
- 7 private islands in the US that you can actually afford to buy - Business Insider - Business Insider - January 30th, 2020
- Experience the island life with once-in-a-lifetime privatisation offer at Raffles Maldives Meradhoo - Yahoo Finance - January 30th, 2020
- You can now stay on a private island in the UK with its own moat and hot tub - Mirror Online - January 30th, 2020
- Family escapes: Which tropical island is best? - Stuff.co.nz - January 30th, 2020
- Prince Andrew hasn't responded to queries in Epstein case - Nation News - January 30th, 2020
- The FBI's had 'zero cooperation' from Prince Andrew, says US Attorney - The Australian Financial Review - January 30th, 2020
- Britain's Prince Andrew accused of 'zero cooperation' in FBI's Epstein probe - The Straits Times - January 30th, 2020
- Prince Andrew accused of not co-operating with probe - RTE.ie - January 30th, 2020
- Armstrong Marine Selected to Build Hat Island Ferry - The Maritime Executive - December 27th, 2019
- How One Atlantic Editor Is Spending Her Holidays This Year - The Atlantic - December 27th, 2019
- Two more women claim they were sexually assaulted by Jeffrey Epstein | TheHill - The Hill - December 27th, 2019
- Maldives' True Wonder Inside the World's Best Island Resort - PaperCity Magazine - December 27th, 2019
- 20 of the best sustainable holidays in Europe for 2020 - The Guardian - December 27th, 2019
- Vogue Editors Show How Alarmingly Out Of Touch They Are, Get Roasted Online - The Daily Wire - December 27th, 2019
- 8 Ways Cruising Could Look Different in 2030 (Just 10 Years From Now) - Cruzely.com - December 21st, 2019
- The Best Beaches From Around the World - MoneyWise.com - December 21st, 2019
- You can now stay in a Stranger Things-themed Airbnb for 56 a night - The Irish Sun - December 21st, 2019
- Islands top homeless advocate cites benefits of mayors new plan to tackle issue on our streets - SILive.com - December 21st, 2019
- The other island for reinsurance - Captive International - December 21st, 2019
- OFG Receives Regulatory Approval for Acquisition of Scotiabank Operations in US Virgin Islands - Business Wire - December 21st, 2019
- You can now stay in a Stranger Things-themed Airbnb for 56 a night - The Sun - December 19th, 2019
- 22 times celebrities reminded the world just how much money they have - Business Insider - December 19th, 2019
- Six Of The Best: The Ultimate Places In The World To Escape Winter - Forbes - December 19th, 2019
- The Best Of St. Barths: Inside The Beachfront Cheval Blanc Hotel - Forbes - December 19th, 2019
- Why consider a British Virgin Islands or Cayman trust for wealth protection? - Campden FB - December 19th, 2019
- You can get paid 66k a year as a tradesman with ZERO living expenses but youd have to move to the Anta - The Irish Sun - December 19th, 2019
- The Mystery of the Maldives, Unveiled | newkerala.com News #266501 - New Kerala - December 19th, 2019
- Jana Riess: Whistleblower alleges the LDS Church is hiding wealth from the IRS, but is the evidence persuasive? - Salt Lake Tribune - December 19th, 2019
- Epstein lured victim using Prince Andrew 'as bait', letter reveals - IOL - December 19th, 2019
- Winner Announced In Billiard By Brandt's 2019 International Billiard Design Competition - PR Web - December 19th, 2019
- Where To Go Next: 27 Best Places To Travel In 2020 - Forbes - December 19th, 2019
- Tina River project construction set to start next year - International Water Power and Dam Construction - December 19th, 2019
- New Exhibit Highlights African American Soldiers Of The Civil War - WUWF - December 19th, 2019
- Fighting invasive species on one island led to plan for all - Great Lakes Echo - November 13th, 2019
- Guest rooms at Petit St. Vincent resort don't have WiFi or locking doors and that's OK - USA TODAY - November 13th, 2019
- A Guide to the Aland Archipelago, Where You Can Sleep on Your Own Island - The New York Times - November 13th, 2019
- Exclusive: how Royal Caribbean's private Island will "chill and thrill" - Cruise Passenger - November 13th, 2019
- Prince Andrew accuser target of suit questioning her claims of forced sex - USA TODAY - November 13th, 2019
- 5 ski chalets and mountain homes on the market right now - The Spaces - November 13th, 2019
- All the New Places to Stay in Australias Whitsunday Islands - Cond Nast Traveler - November 13th, 2019
- Inside the World's Most Expensive Real Estate of 2019 - Maxim - November 13th, 2019
- Inside the latest issue of Spears: 5 Hertford Street, the inaugral luxury index and more - Spear's WMS - November 13th, 2019
- Love Islands Jourdan Riane reveals hurtful Danny Williams split - Metro.co.uk - November 13th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean Will Build A Luxurious Sustainable Private Island In The South Pacific By 2022 - Singapore Tatler - October 30th, 2019
- Royal Caribbean is Launching a New Beach Club Collection for its Customers - World of Cruising - October 30th, 2019
- ILTM Cannes 2019 set to be biggest event yet, revealing 2020 to be their year of 'Conscious Luxury' - Travel Daily News International - October 30th, 2019
- 11 under-the-radar destinations to hit before they become the next big thing | Mapped - Daily Hive - October 30th, 2019
- Cruise: Receive a free upgrade on board this tropical Princess Cruises route - Express - October 30th, 2019
- Cruise Fever Here to Stay | Business - The Weekly Journal - October 30th, 2019
- Supreme Court allows boatyard to use reserve in Opua, Bay of Islands - Stuff.co.nz - October 30th, 2019
- Evrima: what you need to know about Ritz-Carlton's first 190m Superyacht Cruise - Yacht Harbour - October 30th, 2019
- Drowned Emirati father and son pulled from Abu Dhabi sea - The National - October 30th, 2019
- Would You Buy One of These 5 BC Private Islands For $2.3 Million? - 604 Now - October 16th, 2019
- Most luxurious Maldive resort cleans up nearby island in support of Parley Maldives initiative - Travel Wires - October 16th, 2019
- Here's Why This Gorgeous Island In the Maldives Is On Every Celebrities List - ScoopWhoop - October 16th, 2019
- Cheval Blanc Randheli In Maldives Where Barefoot Luxury Meets Raw Nature - Forbes - October 16th, 2019
- Earn 2k a week to stay in luxury homes around the world for HushHush website - Cornwall Live - October 16th, 2019