A sunny, breezy and crowd-free paradisethe Maldives is just a quick flight away without any visa hassles. But what they dont tell you about the tropical island is that the transfer and layover time and the many additional hidden costs can make or break your holiday experience. These tips and tricks will help you get the most out of your time in the island nation:
Fixed timings for seaplane and boat transfers means you could end up spending anywhere between one to four hours at the airport, losing the day in transit. But, a host of hotels are just a quick zip from Mal. Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives, Pullman Maldives Maamutaa, Grand Park Kodhipparu, One&Only Reethi Rah, Varu by Atmosphere and Ozen Reserve Bolifushi are all between 15 to 40-minute boat rides from the city.
If you choose a hotel that is a seaplane ride away, check if they can schedule it according to your flight timings to avoid waiting for hours.
A seaplane transfer could cost anywhere from $270 (Rs19,669) to $450 (Rs32,782). Dont forget to check if a complimentary ride seaplane or boat transfer is part of your deal.
The best part about the Maldives is that you can look forward to balmy, tropical weather almost all year round, with a chance of rain between the months of May to October in the Maldives. Expect some of the best deals during these off-season months.
When youre in paradise, you can very quickly run a very high tab on those pinacoladas, which is why its best to choose a resort with an all-inclusive plan for meals and drinks. This would usually include a selection of spirits both at the bar and in your room (replenished once or twice a day) and all meals at the buffet and some of the speciality restaurants. Kudadoo Maldives Private Island, Ozen Reserve Bolifushi, Heritance Aarah Maldives and Centara Grand Island are just some of the many all-inclusive resorts here.
At many all-inclusive resorts, non-motorised sports such as paddle boating, kayaking, windsurfing and canoeing are inclusive of the plan. If you stay for three or four nights, they may also add snorkelling, dolphin spotting and a night of star-gazing into your deal. However, there are some resorts like the Kudadoo Maldives Private Island, where you wont have to worry about giving your room number at any stage because everything is part of your package.
Many resorts tend to add additional deals such as a spa, a snorkelling session, sunset or dolphin cruise, a movie night under the stars, a dinner at a speciality restaurant if you spend over three nights at the property.
Maldives (MVT) is 30 minutes behind Indian Standard Time. However, some resorts have their own time zone (to give their guests some more daylight hours). So, they add about an hour or 1.5 hours to MVT. Check with your hotel, so you can schedule your departure in time to catch your flight.
An RT-PCR test must be taken at least 96 hours prior to departure. Children below the age of one are exempted. Note: Your test must have your passport number (Labs tend to ask for your Aadhar Card details if they dont know the purpose of your test, so dont forget to inform them).
You will also have to present an RT-PCR test no more than 96 hours old on your return journey. Factor in a day to receive the results. So if youre spending three nights in the Maldives, get tested on the second day. Its advisable to book your appointment with the lab on the island the day you reach in that case.
Once you have received your test results, you are required to submit an online Traveller Health Declaration form within 24 hours prior to departure. The form includes some basic information, your flight details, health details, the countries you have travelled to in the past 15 days and a drive to upload your negative RT-PCR test. Once youre done, you will receive a QR code. Keep a screenshot handy to present at Mal airport on arrival. The same declaration form needs to be filled on your return, along with an Air Suvidha form to reenter India.
Some properties like Soneva Fushi may request you to quarantine for 24 hours in your villa until you get your test results, so you might not want to schedule anything for that day.
You dont need much to have a good time in the Maldives. A few swimsuits, kaftans and cover-ups, sunglasses, a beach bag, hat and sandals are more than enough. Of course, an SPF suntan lotion is the most important, but also add some aloe vera to cool your skin after a long day of beach bumming.
The Maldives is an Islamic country. You are not allowed to bring idols of worship, religious books, pork and pork products, and alcohol.
Many people are often seduced by the idea of an overwater villa, but if youre a beach person, and especially if youre travelling with young children, a beach villa might be a better and safer option. Sand between your toes is a tangible luxury.
Resorts such as Anantara Veli Maldives Resort, Hurawalhi Island Resort and Kudadoo Maldives are adults-only resorts. Other resorts may welcome kids but not at the overwater villasfor safety reasons. Be sure to check with your resort before you book.
Yes, the Maldives is best known for honeymoons. But there are many resorts specially designed for parents to put their feet up and relax. Kids club with activities such as treasure hunts and pasta-making, and babysitting services, mean you can also slot in some spa time. When it comes to safety, most resorts are well-equipped with measures like railings and child-safety locks on the deck of the overwater villas. Families with young children, choose beach villas facing shallow island lagoons. Here are some great tips on travelling with your kids to the Maldives.
Check with the hotel on how far you need to go to spot marine life. Some islands in the Maldives are reclaimed, or artificial islands or have been affected by coral bleaching, and therefore offer a lower chance of spotting marine life. Some others, like The Westin Maldives Miriandhoo Resort, Dhigufaru Island Resort, Dusit Thani Maldives and Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru are close to Hanifaru Bay, where the worlds largest congregation of manta rays takes place between June to October. The coral-clad reefs are healthy enough for you to just peep into the waters to spot fish.
It is recommended to wait for 12-24 hours before you get onto a plane after you have gone diving. This is because you could suffer from decompression sickness. For good orders sake, avoid flying out the day after you dive.
If exploring Maldives coral reefs is topmost on your priority list, why not live on the waters itself. Orca Dive Club organises luxury liveaboard experiences, where a boat is your base to set out on diving expeditions.
Climate change has put the Maldives at serious risk. But many of the countrys resorts are doing their bit to mitigate their impact on the environment. Soneva Fushi, Gili Lankanfushi, Kudadoo Maldives Private Island and Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru employ several sustainable practices, from recycling plastic and glass onsite to using solar power and helping regenerate coral. Make the right choiceyou want your kids to enjoy this paradise as well.
- Exploring the Elizabeth Islands (and swimming with cows) - The Boston Globe - July 12th, 2021
- Holiday on Welsh private island goes viral on TikTok and stuns people around the world - Wales Online - July 12th, 2021
- Dusit International subsidiary Elite Havens recognised for offering one of 'The World's Most Amazing Vacation Rentals' in new Netflix series -... - July 12th, 2021
- Attempt to Spend Elon Musk's $160 Billion Wealth With This Online Simulator - Newsweek - July 12th, 2021
- How Neighbor Islands Are Working To Address Overtourism In Hawaii - Honolulu Civil Beat - July 12th, 2021
- Beautiful Scottish island goes on sale for the same price as Edinburgh city centre flat - Edinburgh Live - July 12th, 2021
- Islands receive more than $2 million in recreation... - Journal of the San Juan Islands - July 12th, 2021
- Secluded Camp with 4000 ft of Lake Frontage in NY's Adirondacks Scheduled for Luxury Auction July 16th - Markets Insider - July 12th, 2021
- Revisiting 'The Island of Dr. Moreau': Marlon Brando's fever dream - Far Out Magazine - July 12th, 2021
- Carnivals First Cruise Live Blog: Day 7, Heading Home (and a COVID Test) - Cruzely.com - July 12th, 2021
- Where Sun, Sand and Splendor Are Still to Be Discovered - The New York Times - June 10th, 2021
- The Best Smaller Islands to Visit in the BVIs - AFAR Media - June 10th, 2021
- Norwegian Donates $25000 to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation - Cruise Industry News - June 10th, 2021
- The 15 most beautiful Scottish islands to visit - goodhousekeeping.com - June 10th, 2021
- This Entire B.C. Island Could Be Yours For Less Than $640000 - 604 Now - June 10th, 2021
- St Barts to re-open its borders to vacationers on June 9 - GlobeNewswire - June 10th, 2021
- Celebrate World Oceans Day 2021 All Year Round At These Sustainable Luxury Resorts - Forbes - June 10th, 2021
- Why agents need to have villas and private homes in their sights - TTG - June 10th, 2021
- Privacy Is the New Luxury: 5 Caribbean Destinations Offering Ultra-Luxe Experiences - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2021
- Be the ruler of your own island on BC's Sunshine Coast for just over $1 million - BC News - Castanet.net - June 10th, 2021
- This Riviera-inspired island resort will be the ultimate party hotspot - What's On - June 10th, 2021
- Escape the island with a staycation on a smaller one - BreakingNews.ie - April 5th, 2021
- The private islands you can rent in France, Spain and Greece from just 12pp a night... - The Sun - April 5th, 2021
- A New Private-Island Resort in the US Virgin Islands - Caribbean Journal - April 5th, 2021
- Immunity pods of family and friends start to venture out on private vaxications - The Boston Globe - April 5th, 2021
- Royal Caribbean Thanks Emergency Services, NHS And Armed Forces With UK Homecoming, Set For This Summer - KPVI News 6 - April 5th, 2021
- Camping Returns To Apostle Islands National Lakeshore - National Parks Traveler - April 5th, 2021
- Ghislaine Maxwell Faces Two New Trafficking Charges, Raising Pressure On Prince Andrew And Others Listed In Jeffrey Epsteins Little Black Book -... - April 5th, 2021
- Staycation in Scotland: 6 remote and beautiful Scottish Island escapes - HeraldScotland - April 5th, 2021
- Private Plane Vacation Packages Are the Big New Thing in Resort Travel - InsideHook - April 5th, 2021
- Valentine's Special: 16 Spectacular Heart-Shaped Islands and Lakes on Earth (PHOTOS) | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel |... - February 15th, 2021
- Skulls, Private Islands, And Wu-Tang: Fun Things Jeff Bezos Could... - 2oceansvibe News - February 15th, 2021
- Dream Honeymoons: A Stopover in Dubai Makes this Maldives Adventure Doubly Sweet - My New Orleans - February 15th, 2021
- Can You Afford to Live on a Cruise Ship With Social Security Alone? - Cruzely.com - February 15th, 2021
- Privacy is the New Luxury: The World's Most Exclusive Villa Holidays to Book For 2021 - Luxury Travel Magazine - February 15th, 2021
- Luxury, waterfront home on Venice Island listed at $3.5M - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - February 15th, 2021
- Things to do in Maldives, where the world seems headed this year-end - Moneycontrol.com - December 5th, 2020
- Is Princess Plus Worth It? Program Details and What to Know - Cruzely.com - December 5th, 2020
- Conspiracy theories are a threat to democracy - Canton Repository - December 5th, 2020
- Juliet Twena: The 'must see' sights on my bucket list - part one - Jersey Evening Post - December 5th, 2020
- 15 Biggest Islands on Earth - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2020
- How to Plan the Ultimate Caribbean Luxury Vacation - Caribbean Journal - October 19th, 2020
- Escape To The Secret Sophistication of The Florida Keys - Ocean Drive Magazine - October 19th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line has 2022 itineraries and an update on Disney Wish - Travelweek - October 19th, 2020
- D'Aguilar: Be patient on tourism restart - EyeWitness News - October 19th, 2020
- Ngpuhi protesters prepared to stand in front of bulldozers to stop development on whi tapu land - RNZ - October 19th, 2020
- Miss 'overseas' holidays? Head to the Hauraki Gulf - New Zealand Herald - October 19th, 2020
- Beaver Island Retreat, In Up-North Michigan Indianapolis Monthly - Indianapolis Monthly - October 19th, 2020
- Airlines really want you to fly this winter, and these Caribbean islands are ready for tourists - The Dallas Morning News - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- 'We lost ourselves': Future Islands, the synthpop band who nearly blew it - The Guardian - October 10th, 2020
- French bank BNP is asked for information on Jeffrey Epstein's wealth - Independent.ie - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Businesses Are Soon Going To Be Lovin' It. - The St. Kitts-Nevis Observer - October 10th, 2020
- BVI Tourist Board Meets With Major Tourism Industry Partners - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- Belize Reopens: Heres The Ultimate Secluded Getaway - Forbes - October 8th, 2020
- Privately funded search team claims to have found possible signs of life on islands near where Gulf Livestock 1 sank - 9News - October 8th, 2020
- Government To Discuss Reopening Protocols With Service Industry - Government of the Virgin Islands - October 8th, 2020
- The perfect fix for your travel itch comes in the form of private jets - Lifestyle Asia - October 8th, 2020
- Cayman Islands Removed from the EU Blacklist | Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP - JD Supra - October 8th, 2020
- These New Luxury Blimps Hope to Become the Superyachts of the Skies - Robb Report - August 20th, 2020
- Hot Property: Eagle Island - Cowboys and Indians - August 20th, 2020
- Turks and Caicos is open, but some resorts are closed - Travel Weekly - August 20th, 2020
- The rise of the 'jetcation': How hotels are using private jets to entice customers - Telegraph.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- 13 Underrated Places That Americans Are Allowed to Visit Now - Best Life - August 20th, 2020
- The Bitcoiners Who Live Permanently Not There - Yahoo Finance - August 20th, 2020
- Seabourn works to grow events business in wake of Covid-19 suspension - Breaking Travel News - August 20th, 2020
- South Korea's Jeju Island Selects ICONLOOP Blockchain Technology for Private, Secure COVID-19 Contact Tracing A new blockchain-based mobile app... - August 20th, 2020
- Vakkaru Maldives' Unmatched New Hospitality Concept Will Take the Utmost Care of You - Hospitality Net - August 10th, 2020
- Bridesmaid for Princess Diana was guest on Jeffrey Epstein's island and flew in his jets - Mirror.co.uk - August 10th, 2020
- How to Visit Someones Island in Dreams in Animal Crossing: New Horizons - How-To Geek - August 10th, 2020
- Resorts reopen in Maldives as travel restrictions lift - Breaking Travel News - August 10th, 2020
- Paradise beaches, cocktails and hiking trails in Mauritius and you can stay at 6k-a-night hotel for 1,250 - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- PM lifts restrictions on southern islands, 20 new cases reported - EyeWitness News - August 10th, 2020
- A promise is a promise at least to these two - Coastal Point - August 10th, 2020
- The Good Place Season 3: The Best One-Liners of The Season - TheThings - August 10th, 2020
- Five of the worlds best private islands for sale - Financial Times - August 8th, 2020
- Chinas secret war on America, a Fox News sex scandal, and a space-time wormhole in this weeks dubious tabloids - Boing Boing - August 8th, 2020
- Recycling being boosted on holiday island of Santorini | Kathimerini - www.ekathimerini.com - August 8th, 2020
- St. Barts Travel: 7 Things Not To Miss When Visiting the Island - Forbes - August 8th, 2020
- The Nautilus Maldives refreshed and ready to reopen on 1 September - ITCM - August 7th, 2020