That is so offensive! Don't you know that only the Northern Hemisphere has Winter in December! note (they also forgot that some religions DO celebrate the Winter Solstice as such, as well as forgetting that Christmas takes place a few days AFTER the Winter Solstice)"And in a gutless act of political correctness, 'Pizza Day' will now be known as 'Italian-American Sauced Bread Day.'"This title, taken from an infamous Catch-Phrase of the Daily Mail, a British tabloid newspaper, can refer to one of two things.In some cases, this might be literally about political correctness taken too far, presented through a Granola Girl or Soapbox Sadie who embodies the negative aspects of the PC movement. It may also involve Moral Guardians attempting to Bowdlerize a work in order to remove anything, no matter how trivial, that might be considered "offensive". However, in other cases, the accusations of political correctness are baseless.Along the same lines, a governmental authority (often a local council or Media Watchdog) is accused of being over-zealous to the point of parody in trying to avoid offense to minority groups - not unlike the Culture Police but in the other direction. Certain words or phrases are said to have been "banned", as if, say, Chipping Sodbury Borough Council has any effective power over the English language or, indeed, anything. Often, the body in question is not only being overly cautious, they're actually oppressing the group that is the target of their actions, and are shocked should their targets explain that a patronizing, paternalistic attitude can be just as offensive as the perceived slight. On the other hand, since this is often a satire we're dealing with, it's just as likely that the mere hint of the word "offense" will indeed result in the offending work being Banned In Chipping Sodbury.Politically Correct History is a specific variant where Common Knowledge historical accounts are treated as Fanon to avoid Unfortunate Implications such as Values Dissonance or having to explain Aluminum Christmas Trees.Usually, a range of urban myths are presented as examples of Political Correctness Gone Mad, such as ...
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
"I know what youre thinking now. Youre thinking 'Oh my god, thats treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Everyone: Whose faith is the right one, it's anybody's guess. Man in turban and Santa suit holding up a phone: What matter most is camera phone for twenty dollar less!
Announcer: It's Asian American Doll, we made her from a place of fear! (gong sound effect) I specifically said no gong!
Anime & Manga
[On his Nan abusing the term to confusion] "In the old days, you could get your head and you could submerge it in a vat of boiling acid, and now they're going 'Oh, don't do that, what if Jews see it? It'll annoy the Jews'."
Jeff: So, Walter, Happy Holidays!
Walter: *beat* You're really going to do this, huh?
Jeff: So, Walter, Happy Holidays!
Walter: Screw you, it's Merry Christmas!
Lance: Always trying to shut the white man down. Conspiracy Brother: THAT'S RIGHT! That's Right!... Oh, that ain't right.
Wesley: Apparently she felt I'd disrespected the Hacklar's culture by killing it.
JD: It's so great because the residents are practically our slaves. In JD's head: Ah! I just said "slave" to my new, black girlfriend!
JD: We should, like, make him be our personal slave.
Turk's Brother: Our personal what now?
JD: Uh, I didn't mean-
Turk's Brother: How about this? How about he be the house slave, and I be the field slave. That sound like fun to you?
JD: No, that doesn't sound fun at all.
Turk: What's going on?
Turk's Brother: I forgot how much fun it was messing with Alfalfa here!
Liz: Can't one human being not like another human being? Can't we all just not get along? Steven: Liz, I wish it could be like that. And maybe someday our children or our children's children will hate each other like that, but it just doesn't work that way today. Liz: So what you're saying is that any woman that doesn't like you is a racist. Steven: No, no, no, no, no. Some women are gay.
Paul: I just blacked out.
Mike: Uhh, excuse me, you African-Americaned out.
One greeting card to cover everything
Confusing yes, no one will guess
We left out Kwanzaa!
We felt so guilty when he was all through It seemed there was one of two things we could do Live without food in the nude in a cave Or next year have someone say grace besides Dave
One of the many fine things one has to admit is the way that the Army has carried the American democratic ideal to its logical conclusion, in the sense that not only do they prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, creed, and color, but also on the grounds of ability.
Ellis: Wouldn't it be easier to call them by stuff that makes sense, like "High Elves," "Wood Elves," "Sea Elves," "Cave Elves"... Sarine: ... What? Ellis: No... "cave elves" sounds kinda stupid. How about "Dark Elves"? "Night Elves"? "Black Elves"? "Angry, Disenfranchised Minority Elves"? On second thought, go back to calling them by unpronounceable crap.
Dog: *barks* Guys: THAT'S OFFENSIVE!
[BlizzardRep]: Phylumism, were it an actual thing, would go against everything we stand for as a corporation.
[An00barak]: yes thats what ive been saying thank you thank you
[An00barak]: >8< >8> <8< <8> >8< spider priiiiiide
Fafa: Then what do I call them?!
Mario: Gentlemen or women of the country music persuasion.
Lelouch: NOT IF HER HEAD EXPLODES!!!
Dan: I don't like the way you said "black."
Pat: [talking to the game] Get away, you bouncing monkeys! D.K. Junior: Again with the hate speech! Pat: What did I say? D.K. Junior: Do you know how offensive it is to use the "M word"? Pat: The "M word"...what, monkey? Butbut that is a monkey! A green monkey! D.K. Junior: Specieist! The "M word" is no longer acceptable to say. "Evolutionary challenged simian" is the preferred nomenclature. Pat: When did that change? D.K. Junior: A few days ago.
Principal Skinner: When I look in my closet, I don't see male clothes or female clothes. They're all the same.
Edna Krabappel: Are you saying that men and women are identical?
Skinner: Oh, no, of course not! Women are unique in every way.
Lindsey Naegle: Now he's saying men and women aren't equal!
Skinner: No, no, no! It's the differences of which there are none that makes the sameness exceptional. Just tell me what to say!
Dr. Hibbert: Yes, I remember Bart's birth well. You don't forget a thing like Siamese Twins!
Lisa: I believe they prefer to be called "conjoined twins".
Dr. Hibbert: And Hillbillies prefer to be called "sons of the soil". But it ain't gonna happen.
Doctor Orpheus: Wow.
Iggy: So this medical caregiver of indeterminate gender, because nurses can be male or female, says to his or her disabled, or should I say differently-abled patient, "Why do you have a penguin on your head? They're endangered!" Haaa!
Rick: Well, that's retarded.
Anime & Manga
71-Hour Ahmed: Be generous, Sir Samuel. Truly treat all men equally. Allow Klatchians the right to be scheming bastards.
Shakespeare: Who are you, exactly, and, more to the point, who is this gorgeous blackamoor lady? Martha: (British, of Ghanaian and Iranian descent) What did you say? Shakespeare: (apologizing) Oops. Isn't that a word we use nowadays? An Ethiop girl, a swarth, a Queen of Afric? Martha: (angry) I can't believe I'm hearing this. The Doctor: It's political correctness gone mad.
Jeff: Well, Walter, you look very festive. Happy Holidays! Walter: You know, there's something I've been wanting to say for a while: Screw you, it's Merry Christmas!
Ricky: [laughing] Leprechauns don't exist!
Karl: It's the same thing, though. If they did, they'd go, "Don't call 'em that"
Karl: [beat] Gnomes, or... [Ricky and Steve burst out laughing]
News and Other Media
Brian: Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here today to apologize- Man: Why did you say "Ladies" first? That's sexist. Brian: It's just, it's just a-a standard greeting. Let-let me start over. Gentlemen and ladies- Woman: Ooh, says the man. Brian: Okay, sorry, I-I... Um, humans in the audience- Man 2: I identify as a basketball. Brian: Humans and basketballs- Man 3: I'm a parrot who mimics words but doesn't comprehend them. Brian: Humans, basketballs, talking parrots, and-and whatever else is out there... Woman 2: "Whatever"? It's whoever. Woman 3: Actually, it's whomever. Woman 2: No one likes you, Mary. Brian: All right, all right, just-just calm down, okay? Woman 4: Now you're tone policing us! Man 4: That makes me uncomfortable. Anything that makes me uncomfortable in 2017 should be illegal.
Originally posted here:
- Trump speaks to people whove grown weary of political correctness - The Boston Globe - November 7th, 2020
- Enough already, or cancel culture will come for the Hebrew Bible J. - The Jewish News of Northern California - November 7th, 2020
- Why labeling disabled students as just 'differently abled' does a disservice to them - Inside Higher Ed - November 7th, 2020
- What the pollsters got so wrong with 2020 election - New York Post - November 7th, 2020
- Whatever the US result, the winner is | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - November 7th, 2020
- Editorial: Conservatism and universities - Tulsa Beacon - November 7th, 2020
- MSNBC's Joy Reid: Close presidential race shows 'great amount of racism and anti blackness' in US | TheHill - The Hill - November 7th, 2020
- DALLAS JONES: What will bring peace in times of anxiety from serious problems - Manistee News Advocate - November 7th, 2020
- Scholars and analysts reflect on lessons learned - Harvard Gazette - November 7th, 2020
- Voting For The First Time In The 2020 Presidential Election - WLRN - November 7th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor: All about the election - Mansfield News Journal - November 7th, 2020
- Win or lose, Trumpism is here to stay - Ynetnews - November 7th, 2020
- Alaska's lone congressman has earned another term - Anchorage Daily News - November 7th, 2020
- Trump started a war against safe spaces, but then pledged to 'Make America Safe Again' - Open Democracy - November 7th, 2020
- Friedman: When my president sang 'Amazing Grace' - The Register-Guard - November 7th, 2020
- Op-ed: Don't be friends with radical members of the other party - The Huntington News - November 7th, 2020
- No 'bang for buck': Budget is big on political correctness, weak on job creation - Sydney Morning Herald - October 16th, 2020
- Opinion: How far must we go to achieve political correctness in literature? The Review - University of Delaware Review - October 16th, 2020
- Letter: The danger of the left - Concord Monitor - October 16th, 2020
- Feehery: Trumpism will survive, no matter what happens on Election Day | TheHill - The Hill - October 16th, 2020
- Will the Cultural Revolution be Canceled? - newgeography.com - October 16th, 2020
- Judge Barrett is already a disappointment - The Herald - October 16th, 2020
- James R. Poplar III: Not honoring their oath of office - Northern Virginia Daily - October 16th, 2020
- LGBTQ+ Community Taking Over Proud Boys - Minaret - October 16th, 2020
- University autonomy is not total indulgence - - October 16th, 2020
- Letter: God bless Donald Trump and America - Opinion - Gaston Gazette - October 16th, 2020
- Donald Trump Sounds So Happy Describing How His Government Killed a Man - Mother Jones - October 16th, 2020
- Opinion: Letter to the Editor: Vandalism As 'Dialogue' in McLean - Virginia Connection Newspapers - October 16th, 2020
- Republicans: The New Confederacy | by David W. Blight - The New York Review of Books - October 16th, 2020
- Jack McCall: The right and wrong sides of tobacco stalks - Lebanon Democrat - October 16th, 2020
- Cache political parties unite to condemn yard sign thefts - Cache Valley Daily - October 16th, 2020
- Two different views on Trump and what's at stake in election - Iron Mountain Daily News - October 16th, 2020
- Letter: Jupiter and Saturn have an abundance of moons - Post Register - October 16th, 2020
- Standing firm in an age of weaponized information - The Christian Post - October 16th, 2020
- Politically-incorrect language can seem sincere, but only if youre saying what the audience wants to hear - ZME Science - September 23rd, 2020
- You dont have to be a racist to be a bigot - Ponoka News - September 23rd, 2020
- Judd Gregg: The Kamala threat the Californiaization of America | TheHill - The Hill - September 23rd, 2020
- Despite being vilified in the rightwing media, Black Lives Matter will endure - The Guardian - September 23rd, 2020
- Political Correctness Protocol Holds Sway Over Much Of Our Land; Your Vote And Voice In November Will Put A Change To That - The Published Reporter - September 23rd, 2020
- How far does a word go: where Latinx fits in today - Standard Online - September 23rd, 2020
- Students still say the pledge in schools - PolitiFact - September 23rd, 2020
- Progressives are regressive - JNS.org - September 23rd, 2020
- Just Like Freud's Psychoanalysis, Critical Race Theory Will Be Discredited - The Federalist - September 23rd, 2020
- Nobody is Charlie anymore | Julian Schvindlerman | The Blogs - The Times of Israel - September 23rd, 2020
- Poor Elijah's Almanack: Lies and other deadly stuff - Rutland Herald - September 23rd, 2020
- Why I wince when I hear the words 'white privilege' - theday.com - September 23rd, 2020
- Councillor marks anniversary of mother's murder with call for justice for women - Winnipeg Sun - September 23rd, 2020
- Mitchells Musings: Ethics class evolves with the times - Vernon Morning Star - September 23rd, 2020
- Be of good cheer: What is the truth? - Wilmington News Journal, OH - August 10th, 2020
- The Last Temptation of Jerry - The Nation - August 10th, 2020
- Which Sport is Doing Best on TV Since Return from COVID? - newstalk870.am - August 10th, 2020
- NASA to remove offensive names from planets and other heavenly bodies - New York Post - August 10th, 2020
- Deep Inside, Rioters Are Angry That They Never Learned Anything But Lies - The Federalist - August 10th, 2020
- What KC used to loveor hateabout Whitlock - The Platte County Landmark Newspaper - August 10th, 2020
- Cabot Phillips: Cancel culture distorts history to portray US as evil nation that must be transformed - Fox News - August 10th, 2020
- Letter: Confederate flag a symbol of hate | Letters to the Editor - Reading Eagle - August 10th, 2020
- 'The Office': Fans Think This Is the Most Heartbreaking Quote in the Whole Series - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 10th, 2020
- Best South Park episodes: 25 amazing episodes of the adult animated sitcom - TechRadar - August 10th, 2020
- As Perplexing as the Loch Ness Monster - Alameda Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor | Attack on our history is wrong - Champaign/Urbana News-Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- A vote to restore civility and decency - Kitsap Sun - August 10th, 2020
- THE PORT RAIL: Guilt and words - Gadsden Times - August 10th, 2020
- Obesity should be redefined to curb fat shaming, new guidelines say - Big Think - August 10th, 2020
- Iran Is the Most Dangerous Country in the World Remarks by Alan Dershowitz - NCRI - National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) - August 10th, 2020
- Former Columbus police chiefs say city leaders have jumped on cop-hating bandwagon - The Columbus Dispatch - August 10th, 2020
- How the Jewish Experience Can Help America Defend Itself against the War on History - Mosaic - August 10th, 2020
- Aug. 15 anniversary of the end of WW-2 | Letters To Editor - Yucaipa/Calimesa News Mirror - August 10th, 2020
- Robert Chrisman: Are you one of the 'Real People?' - The Union of Grass Valley - August 9th, 2020
- Review: Caley Cross and the Hadeon Drop - GeekDad - August 9th, 2020
- And now a word from Citizen Scott: Why I love the USA | From the editor - SILive.com - August 8th, 2020
- How long will the Indian poor be invisible? - The Leaflet - August 8th, 2020
- Conservative majority silenced by the left - Washington Times - August 8th, 2020
- The Wacky Humor of 'Total Drama' Has Stood the Test of Time - Study Breaks - August 8th, 2020
- Fans Are Rejecting 'Woke' Athletes [OPINION] - wbsm.com - August 8th, 2020
- Non-fiction reviews: Play By The Rules and other titles - Sydney Morning Herald - August 8th, 2020
- Bill Maher talks cancel culture and John Lewis with authors of Harper's open 'letter on justice' - USA TODAY - August 8th, 2020
- Patrick Mouratoglou: 'Tennis Is The Most Politically Correct Sport' - Last Word on Tennis - August 8th, 2020
- Jordan Peterson infected with COVID-19 while in Serbian hospital - report - msnNOW - August 7th, 2020
- Inside the Beltway: Trump's media accountability survey - Washington Times - August 6th, 2020
- featFormer Columbus police chiefs say city leaders have jumped on cop-hating bandwagon - The Columbus Dispatch - August 6th, 2020