Rep. Jim Kasper, R-Fargo, introduced on Jan. 14 House Concurrent Resolution 3012, which would put a measure to allow the Internet game on the 2022 general election ballot. If the measure is approved by the Legislature and gets a simple majority from voters, the state Constitution would change, and the process of how to bring online poker to North Dakota would begin.
The country is just going more and more into gaming online, Kasper said Thursday, Jan. 21. Lets not leave North Dakota as one of the few states that doesnt allow it.
Kasper said he played poker as a kid, but he became interested again when he saw the World Series of Poker on TV in 2003. It wasnt the typical five card draw he knew. Instead, it was Texas Hold em, which became increasingly popular in the 2000s.
After playing himself, he read in a magazine about the prospect of Internet poker. That led to him drafting legislation in 2005 that would have legalized online poker in the state through a constitutional amendment.
The poker industry worldwide was watching my bill, he said.
The amendment passed the House but got a bad flop while in the Senate. The U.S. Justice Department opined that Internet gambling of any kind was illegal, thanks to the Interstate Wire Act of 1961 that prohibited betting or wagering over wire communications.
The constitutional amendment was busted when the Senate voted it down 43-3.
The Justice Department has flipped in its opinion on whether online card gambling is allowed, with the latest stance in 2019 stating the Wire Acts ban applies to all forms of internet gambling, and not just sports.
The U.S. First Circuit Court of Appeals ruled last week against the Justice Department, saying the Wire Act does not apply to nonsports betting.
At least five states Nevada, Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Michigan have legalized online poker. Kasper said he wanted to introduce the legislation again to see where it goes.
The legislation in North Dakota does not give details on how the game would be taxed or managed. It simply would allow voters to decide if online poker can occur in the state and if North Dakota would license and regulate the game.
Details on taxation and management would come later. The Legislature would set up a committee in 2023 or future sessions to figure out the details if voters approve the measure.
Its possible the state could join a group of states, he said.
There would be a lot of work that goes into it, he said.
Its unclear how much income online poker would draw from North Dakota. The poker industry estimated the 2005 legislation would have stacked up $500 million in annual taxes, with 80% going to reduce property taxes, Kasper said. Annual property taxes back then averaged about $400 million, he added.
Typically, proceeds from gambling in North Dakota go to "educational, charitable, patriotic, fraternal, religious or other public-spirited uses," according to state law.
Kasper said he hasnt been able to gauge support in the Legislature, but the proposed measure has sponsorship from both Republicans and Democrats.
Its just a game I enjoy, I think other people should have the opportunity to play it as well, he said.
Readers can reach Forum News Service reporter April Baumgarten at 701-241-5417 or follow her on Twitter @aprilbaumsaway.
Go here to read the rest:
- Five-Step Guide to Becoming a Sponsored Poker Player - PokerTube - November 29th, 2021
- The Biggest Bubble in Poker History Bursts in Episode #8 of Triton Million - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- Why are poker players obsessed with CryptoPunk NFTs? - Coin Rivet - November 29th, 2021
- AEX celebrates its 8th anniversary with 'Texas Hold'em Poker' competition - AMBCrypto News - November 29th, 2021
- By the Numbers: 17 Years of the World Series of Poker (WSOP) at the Rio - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- The Time Is (Still) Now For Change In The Poker Hall of Fame - PocketFives - November 29th, 2021
- October Online Poker Revenue Remains Steady in PA and NJ, Online Gambling Revenues Soar - CardsChat.com - November 29th, 2021
- Police probe 'strip poker' footage of cops after officers filmed in flat without consent - Scottish Daily Record - November 29th, 2021
- The EndBoss Takes It All - MIT Grad Ishaan Chugh Reveals What Its Like To Win Pokers Top Spot! - News18 - November 29th, 2021
- BetMGM Poker Running Spin the Wheel Promo in Pennsylvania - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Atlantic City Poker Rooms Remove COVID-Related Seating Restrictions - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker qualifies for the World Series of Poker - Pounding The Rock - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker earns berth into World Series of Poker Main Event - Larry Brown Sports - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Bill Passes Senate, Awaits Governor's Signature - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- "Paul Pierce and Phil Ivey to participate in crypto-based poker tournament for charity": Celtics legend to... - The Sportsrush - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Legalized as Governor Signs Gambling Expansion Bill - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut on the Verge of Legalizing Online Poker, Casino Games and Sports Betting - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Spurs legend Tony Parker is 'very excited' to be the first qualified player for WSOP Main Event - mySA - May 29th, 2021
- WSOP and 888 Banks Biggest Share of New Jersey Online Poker Revenue in April - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Will The Pandemic Kill Our Love Of Live Poker? - Casino.Org News - May 29th, 2021
- Online Poker Launches In Michigan Friday Morning - CardPlayer.com - January 30th, 2021
- 4th Annual Ace of Hearts Poker Run benefiting the American Heart Association - WKRG News 5 - January 30th, 2021
- Is There A Future for Nationwide Online Gaming and Poker in the US? - Poker News Daily - January 30th, 2021
- Online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - INFORUM - January 30th, 2021
- Fed Needs a Poker Face to Avoid Taper Tell - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- 888 Executive: US Online Poker to Benefit from Latest Wire Act Ruling - Casino.Org News - January 30th, 2021
- Justice Kagan: Poker Shark - Above the Law - January 30th, 2021
- The FIVES Poker Podcast: WPT in the Headlines, Polk Tilts Negreanu - PocketFives - January 30th, 2021
- Partypoker US Network Posts Big Online Poker Revenue Gains in New Jersey During the Final Quarter of 2020 - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- Los Angeles Poker Rooms Given Green Light to Reopen this Week - CardsChat.com - January 30th, 2021
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Get the Inside Story on THAT James Bond Poker Hand - PokerNews.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020