Poker is one of the most popular games played in casinos today. There are huge international events like the European Poker Tour and the World Series of Poker that attract tens of thousands of entrants, and many more people who follow along or play at home.
In the first half of the 20th century, things were very different. Poker was seldom found in casinos, particularly those in Las Vegas. Instead, variations of blackjack were the most popular card games of choice, which is a variation of foundational games like twenty-one and pontoon.
So how did it become the hit that it is today? There are several factors.
Introduction of Poker to the United States
Poker is a game that has several possible origins, all of them located in Europe, and some with very similar names. These are: poque from France, poca from Ireland, brag from the UK, primero from either Spain or Italy, and brelan from France.
While poque and poca have names that are more closely related, brags rules resemble poker the most. They game has antes and lasts until only two players are left, and has a heavy focus on bluffing, a strategy widely used in games of poker.
One of these European games was exported to the United States in the first half of the 19th century. From here, it spread throughout the southern United States, leading to the development of new game variations, including stud poker, new hands, community cards and lowball.
Around the turn of the 20th century, the game of Texas holdem, the most popular variant of poker today, was first played.
From the early 20th century onward, Las Vegas became the global gaming capital, with casinos popping up right along the now-famous strip. As these developed into the integrated resorts that we know today, Texas holdem was introduced to the city.
The game was first played in the California Club in 1963, with other major casinos at the time, like the Golden Nugget, Dunes and Stardust, all offering the game a few years later.
The first World Series of Poker was held in 1970 at Binions Horseshoe, and quickly became one of the most important tournaments in the sport. It has been held every year since, with several other major tournaments replicating and adapting its format.
These tournaments were one of the factors that fueled the poker boom in the 2000s. Chris Moneymaker won the 2003 Main Event of the World Series of Poker after qualifying online. This saw a huge surge in players enter the competition the following year, all hoping to replicate his success. This happened around the same time that TV stations began to televise the games with the cards face-up, which proved entertaining enough to pull in the viewers.
The poker boom was also driven by the increased availability of poker and other casino games online. These websites, which began operating from the mid-1990s, allowed players access to these games from wherever they were in the world, reaching far more people than had previously been possible.
Despite pokers growth, variations of blackjack continue to be popular online casino games. Youll find that most operators have a variety of different online blackjack games available on their websites, with varying rules, limits, and quantity of decks. Some casinos will also offer pontoon, a British game that shares many similarities.
Poker is so popular, that online poker sites tend to run separately to casinos, specializing in just cash and tournament poker games.
TV and Streaming
There are TV shows dedicated to poker games and tournaments, while streaming services like Twitch show online games and live events. Many of the tournaments, like the European Poker Tour and World Series of Poker, are also broadcast on TV via services like PokerGO and traditional sports broadcasters like ESPN.
Ultimately, it hasnt been one factor thats made poker the casino favorite that it is today. Tournaments and TV shows help to create more interest in the game, while online casinos facilitate more players. In turn, some of these customers enter major tournaments, creating role models that will help to attract more players again.
The poker boom was an accelerated version of this, created partly by the excitement of Chris Moneymakers win and the increased accessibility of online poker. And although the boom has fizzled out, poker remains a popular option among players in online and land-based casinos.
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020
- Poker Strategy: In Omaha, Outs Aren't Everything, It's Whether You Improve Enough - Poker News Daily - August 2nd, 2020
- Police arrest suspect connected to apparent killing of professional poker player Susie Zhao - ABC News - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Daniel Negreanu Thinks Phil Ivey Is the Best Poker Player in the World - NBC Chicago - August 2nd, 2020
- Person in custody in connection with Oakland County professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 1st, 2020
- PKO US: Progressive Knockouts Roll out to Global Poker, WPN and Partypoker NJ - Pokerfuse - August 1st, 2020
- Ethan Yau Brings Audience Into His World Series of Poker Dream - PocketFives - August 1st, 2020
- Facebooks New ReBel Poker AI Scores Higher than Pluribus - Beat The Fish - July 31st, 2020
- Ivonne Montealegre discusses how live poker is embracing the online space - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With the Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- Facebook AI ReBel Capable of Beating Poker Pros | My Blog - Tight Poker - July 30th, 2020
- How to attract more luck into your life, using the 'poker mindset' - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 30th, 2020
- Poker, Metacognition, and 'The Biggest Bluff' | Learning Innovation - Inside Higher Ed - July 30th, 2020
- What Are the Best Poker Apps of 2020? - GameIndustry.com - July 30th, 2020
- Kai Havertz WILL face Rangers as Chelsea 'poker game' forces dramatic U-turn over 80m superstar - Daily Record - July 30th, 2020
- Man Utd in transfer 'poker game' for winger that could save Ed Woodward 55m - Express - July 29th, 2020
- This book is the new 'Moneyball' (and every investor should read it) - The Australian Financial Review - July 28th, 2020
- 5 Best Online Poker Sites for Real Money (2020) - July 26th, 2020
- Best 7 Online Poker Sites (2020) for Real Money - July 26th, 2020
- Best 9 Online Poker Sites for Real Money 2020 - Bonus to ... - July 26th, 2020
- Josh & Heather Altman Threw Son Ace an Adorable Poker-Themed 1st Birthday Bash - Bravo - July 26th, 2020
- Inside the world of Daniel Negreanu: The life and making of poker's biggest superstar - Mirror Online - July 26th, 2020
- Dont Hold Your Breath: Live Poker Not A Top Priority In Reopened PA Casinos Yet - Penn Bets - July 21st, 2020
- Chasing Poker Greatness: #68 Andrew Brokos: Co-Host ThinkingPoker Podcast & Author of Play Optimal Poker - Pokerfuse - July 21st, 2020
- The Phil Ivey Of Poker - HBCU Buzz - July 21st, 2020
- Venetian poker room going to 8-handed tables - Las Vegas Review-Journal - July 21st, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Undark Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- NJ Special Legislation and the Impact on Online Casino Players in NY - Blog - The Island Now - July 21st, 2020
- Trump's approach to politics bears the hallmarks of a bad poker player, author says - CBC.ca - July 21st, 2020
- Key Points To Consider When Choosing Online Poker Tables - Top10PokerWebsites - July 21st, 2020
- The Most Famous Woman in the History of Gambling - Poker Alice Story - Newswire - July 21st, 2020
- How Has Poker Changed Over Many Years? - Loop21 - July 21st, 2020
- How Coronavirus changed the perception of Poker - CalvinAyre.com - July 21st, 2020
- Orange City OKs more poker players, and Greyhound racing in Daytona is over - The West Volusia Beacon - July 21st, 2020
- Natural8 2020 WSOP Online Hand of the Week: A Wholesome Hand for Ryan Depaulo - PokerNews.com - July 21st, 2020
- Flag football shifts to online poker, auction to honour Corey Trudeau - The Kingston Whig-Standard - July 21st, 2020
- Poker - Wikipedia - July 21st, 2020