December 12, 2020Matthew Pitt
Poker has featured on the silver screen on many occasions but very few movies manage to reproduce realistic hands. One famous hand took place in the 2006 remake of Casino Royale, a James Bond film first launched in 1967; Ian Flemings book hit the shelves 14-years earlier in 1953.
The original Casino Royale saw James Bond take on the villain of the movie, Le Chiffre, in a game of high stakes baccarat. The 2006 reboot, directed by Martin Campbell, saw baccarat swapped for a $10 million buy-in winner-takes-all No-Limit Holdem tournament with $5 million rebuys.
As poker hands go, the final hand in the 2006 Casino Royale is as unrealistic as they come, despite Campbell hiring a professional poker player to assist them the poker scenes. It is beautifully shot thanks to the editor Stuart Baird telling Campbell to shoot everything he could possibly think of, especially eyes, looks, close-ups. The hand itself is a very stereotypical Hollywood poker hand.
Which Poker Player Would Make the Best James Bond?
Polygon interviewed Campbell and other key personel recently and its apparent he was please with how the poker scenes of his movie panned out.
I think the sequence was pretty convincing. What you realise is its not just the card games its the stakes. Its also two guys eye-f****ing one another, basically. That was the secret.
Campbell revealed he spent countless hours watching gambling classics, including The Cincinnati Kid, in an attempt to learn the nuances of poker on TV. He enlisted the help of veteran producer Michael G. Wilson as an informal poker consultant as Campbell strived for the ultimate in poker authenticity.
Tom Sambrook was drafted in a the films poker consultant. Sambrook was a regular at The Grosvenor Victoria Casino in London, better-known as The Vic, where hed won the 2,525 buy-in European Poker Championships in 2002 for 120,000. Sambrook answered the call in 2005 by which time hed only amassed an additional 16,380 from nine more tournament cashes.
The actors underwent tuition from Sambrook who showed the actors, including Daniel Craig (James Bond) and Le Chiffre (Mads Mikkelsen) how to compose themselves at the table, and how to handle chips and cards.
Sambrook told Polygon he had an input in how the final, infamous hand, played out.
I put in [the script] that Bond does the teaser re-raise, inducing the big all-in. It took maybe six weeks to get that up to martin Campbell  I said, Youve got to read this because most people wont know or care, but there will be hardcore poker players that will just say, Theyve done it again. Why cant they get this stuff right?
The didnt get this stuff right despite Sambrooks apparent expert advice.
'Molly's Game' Review: The Poker-Themed Film Does Not Disappoint
The final hand sees four players remaining in the tournament, including Bond and Le Chiffre, and all four have made it to the river of the board. Player 1 moves all-in for $6 million, Player 2 calls all-in with his last $5 million putting $35 million in the pot.
Le Chiffre raises to $12 million before Bond shoved for $40.5 million. Le Chiffre eventually calls off his remaining $27.5 million in chips and the cards are revealed.
Player 1: for a flushPlayer 2: for a full houseLe Chiffre: for a better full houseBond: for a straight flush what else would the films hero have?
The hand is flawed on many levels. You can argue a case for Player 1 and player 2 because theyre just super-rich people playing poker. Not for Le Chiffre who is billed as a mathematical genius and an elite poker player.
Le Chiffre, holding only the second-best full house could have folded, leaving himself $27.5 million to Bonds $87.5 million and still be in with a chance of winning the $115 million pot he so desperately needed. Surely Le Chiffre would duck out of the way and fight Bond with a 3:1 chip deficit heads-up, instead he calls a three-way all-in in a hand he is basically never going to win.
Dont think people fold full houses? Search on YouTube for Roberto Romanello correctly folding jacks full to Mike Matusow at the 2008 World Series of Poker.
Sambrook conceded the final hand was unlikely to happen in a real game, however.
Its not representative of an average hand. But the thing about holdem is it does create these factories of madness. Thats why I love the game. It creates this very close, explosive situation. Once youve got a board with cards that close together, everyones thinking about the house, everyones thinking about the flush, everyones thinking about the straight. And in there is the sick feeling, Christ, does one of these guys have a straight flush?
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Sambrook hasnt cashed in a live event since November 2009 although he has some pretty cool memories of playing cards with legitimate movie stars.
I played my last game literally as the wheel of the plane hit the tarmac in Heathrow. I won with king-high, it was just fantastic.
- Five-Step Guide to Becoming a Sponsored Poker Player - PokerTube - November 29th, 2021
- The Biggest Bubble in Poker History Bursts in Episode #8 of Triton Million - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- Why are poker players obsessed with CryptoPunk NFTs? - Coin Rivet - November 29th, 2021
- AEX celebrates its 8th anniversary with 'Texas Hold'em Poker' competition - AMBCrypto News - November 29th, 2021
- By the Numbers: 17 Years of the World Series of Poker (WSOP) at the Rio - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- The Time Is (Still) Now For Change In The Poker Hall of Fame - PocketFives - November 29th, 2021
- October Online Poker Revenue Remains Steady in PA and NJ, Online Gambling Revenues Soar - CardsChat.com - November 29th, 2021
- Police probe 'strip poker' footage of cops after officers filmed in flat without consent - Scottish Daily Record - November 29th, 2021
- The EndBoss Takes It All - MIT Grad Ishaan Chugh Reveals What Its Like To Win Pokers Top Spot! - News18 - November 29th, 2021
- BetMGM Poker Running Spin the Wheel Promo in Pennsylvania - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Atlantic City Poker Rooms Remove COVID-Related Seating Restrictions - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker qualifies for the World Series of Poker - Pounding The Rock - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker earns berth into World Series of Poker Main Event - Larry Brown Sports - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Bill Passes Senate, Awaits Governor's Signature - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- "Paul Pierce and Phil Ivey to participate in crypto-based poker tournament for charity": Celtics legend to... - The Sportsrush - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Legalized as Governor Signs Gambling Expansion Bill - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut on the Verge of Legalizing Online Poker, Casino Games and Sports Betting - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Spurs legend Tony Parker is 'very excited' to be the first qualified player for WSOP Main Event - mySA - May 29th, 2021
- WSOP and 888 Banks Biggest Share of New Jersey Online Poker Revenue in April - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Will The Pandemic Kill Our Love Of Live Poker? - Casino.Org News - May 29th, 2021
- Online Poker Launches In Michigan Friday Morning - CardPlayer.com - January 30th, 2021
- 4th Annual Ace of Hearts Poker Run benefiting the American Heart Association - WKRG News 5 - January 30th, 2021
- Is There A Future for Nationwide Online Gaming and Poker in the US? - Poker News Daily - January 30th, 2021
- Online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - INFORUM - January 30th, 2021
- Fed Needs a Poker Face to Avoid Taper Tell - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- Is online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - The Dickinson Press - January 30th, 2021
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- 888 Executive: US Online Poker to Benefit from Latest Wire Act Ruling - Casino.Org News - January 30th, 2021
- Justice Kagan: Poker Shark - Above the Law - January 30th, 2021
- The FIVES Poker Podcast: WPT in the Headlines, Polk Tilts Negreanu - PocketFives - January 30th, 2021
- Partypoker US Network Posts Big Online Poker Revenue Gains in New Jersey During the Final Quarter of 2020 - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- Los Angeles Poker Rooms Given Green Light to Reopen this Week - CardsChat.com - January 30th, 2021
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020