One of the most popular games in the world, poker, is a phenomenon in many countries, with the United States leading the way. Not only do people love playing Texas Holdem in their spare time, but they also enjoy watching poker matches when the top professionals compete.
That is why the top players can not only earn outstanding prize money for winning tournaments, but have the chance to grab lucrative sponsorships from companies that want players to help promote their brands.
If you try your hand at poker and discover that you have a real talent for this game, then you may want to work on making a career out of the game. Below is a five-step guide that explains how you can become a sponsored poker player.
Becoming a poker player when you are new to the game is a big hurdle, but one that you can get over. Start by learning the basics of poker, master the various hands, understand gamesmanship and winning techniques, and then test your hand at gameplay.
When you are at a level where you are confident about beating good players, set up a place where you can put out poker content on the internet. There are countless ways to post videos, including YouTube and various gaming streaming websites. Live-streaming is usually a better bet when you want to gain a following, as people can interact with you in real-time.
A lot of the most popular poker players in the world who have significant sponsorships got them as a result of their exploits on sites like Twitch, YouTube, and recently Facebook Gaming. By establishing such a platform, you become a lot more attractive to any company that may want to offer you a sponsorship.
Establishing a large following is a very good start if you aspire to have a career as a professional poker player. One way to take your brand over the edge is to gain a following in one or two specific demographics, as that will help you gain sponsorships.
Companies have a very good understanding of who does and does not buy their products. While an aspiring poker player may be lucky enough to gain sponsorship from a mega-corporation that has products appealing to nearly all demographics, most such sponsorships come from small and mid-sized companies.
If a poker player can show that they get a lot of views on Twitch and Facebook, but also that most of these views are from men aged 18-30, they are in a very good position. That demographic would be very appealing to companies that have products to market to men in that age group.
Poker players are not unique from other entertainers and gamers in online spaces. They must often tread a very fine line between showboating and demonstrating arrogance, and remaining humble and relatable.
The everyman approach can work wonders when you are attempting to gain a following on Twitch. Even as you win poker tournaments and showcase your skills, remaining humble helps you attract an audience. Eventually, you may want to shift gears ever so slightly.
Showboating and talking up your wins can be helpful when you want to gain sponsorships. Companies want to partner with entertainers and gamers who are willing to put themselves out there. If you talk yourself up, your fanbase will do the same, and that further raises your profile.
Ensure that you tread the fine line between the occasional boast and display of justified arrogance, and the off-putting cockiness that may turn brands away from you.
The moment you open yourself up to scrutiny over the internet, you must forget about the notion of privacy. Whether you are streaming on Twitch, recording a video to post on YouTube, posting a photo on Instagram, or tweeting about a news article on Twitter, you are now a public figure.
Conduct yourself with that in mind during any interaction, especially online. Even if you are in a private chat with another person, you must be careful about what you say. Any statement that is deemed offensive or inappropriate could cause problems for your personal brand, which is problematic for getting sponsorships.
Even if you are lucky enough to secure backing from one or multiple companies, do not let your guard down. Speak your mind and show your personality, but remember that people are always waiting for high profile gamers and entertainers to slip up. Do not give anyone the opportunity to cause problems that could threaten your livelihood.
Someone who has ambitions of becoming a professionally sponsored poker player must prove themselves in tournaments. Even with a decent following on Twitch and other platforms, most companies want to support winners in the long term. That is why poker players, who go many years without a tournament win, can fall off the radar.
Having an appealing personality and marketing yourself will get you very far in this profession. Winning is what takes you over the top, and establishes you as a pro poker player who can match up against the very best. Those are the players any company would want to represent.
Do not despair if you are not already at this level. Many poker players spend years improving their game before they can win big money tournaments. Continue to persevere with your game, play against opponents of different styles, and understand your weaknesses as well. Then you can elevate your game and gain the attention of companies for sponsorships.
Having a career playing poker is not easy, and you must have real talent to succeed in this profession. Not only do you have to spend countless hours perfecting your game, but you do need moments of luck to come away with big winnings at tournaments.
One of the ways to earn and save more money as a poker player is by securing a sponsorship. Having a company that pays you money each month or year helps you become less reliant on winning tournaments to stay afloat.
Even though you must continue to compete and excel to retain and gain sponsorships, you can make more money through this method compared to tournament prize money.
Read the rest here:
- The Biggest Bubble in Poker History Bursts in Episode #8 of Triton Million - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- Why are poker players obsessed with CryptoPunk NFTs? - Coin Rivet - November 29th, 2021
- AEX celebrates its 8th anniversary with 'Texas Hold'em Poker' competition - AMBCrypto News - November 29th, 2021
- By the Numbers: 17 Years of the World Series of Poker (WSOP) at the Rio - PokerNews.com - November 29th, 2021
- The Time Is (Still) Now For Change In The Poker Hall of Fame - PocketFives - November 29th, 2021
- October Online Poker Revenue Remains Steady in PA and NJ, Online Gambling Revenues Soar - CardsChat.com - November 29th, 2021
- Police probe 'strip poker' footage of cops after officers filmed in flat without consent - Scottish Daily Record - November 29th, 2021
- The EndBoss Takes It All - MIT Grad Ishaan Chugh Reveals What Its Like To Win Pokers Top Spot! - News18 - November 29th, 2021
- BetMGM Poker Running Spin the Wheel Promo in Pennsylvania - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Atlantic City Poker Rooms Remove COVID-Related Seating Restrictions - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker qualifies for the World Series of Poker - Pounding The Rock - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker earns berth into World Series of Poker Main Event - Larry Brown Sports - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Bill Passes Senate, Awaits Governor's Signature - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- "Paul Pierce and Phil Ivey to participate in crypto-based poker tournament for charity": Celtics legend to... - The Sportsrush - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Legalized as Governor Signs Gambling Expansion Bill - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut on the Verge of Legalizing Online Poker, Casino Games and Sports Betting - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Spurs legend Tony Parker is 'very excited' to be the first qualified player for WSOP Main Event - mySA - May 29th, 2021
- WSOP and 888 Banks Biggest Share of New Jersey Online Poker Revenue in April - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Will The Pandemic Kill Our Love Of Live Poker? - Casino.Org News - May 29th, 2021
- Online Poker Launches In Michigan Friday Morning - CardPlayer.com - January 30th, 2021
- 4th Annual Ace of Hearts Poker Run benefiting the American Heart Association - WKRG News 5 - January 30th, 2021
- Is There A Future for Nationwide Online Gaming and Poker in the US? - Poker News Daily - January 30th, 2021
- Online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - INFORUM - January 30th, 2021
- Fed Needs a Poker Face to Avoid Taper Tell - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- Is online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - The Dickinson Press - January 30th, 2021
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- 888 Executive: US Online Poker to Benefit from Latest Wire Act Ruling - Casino.Org News - January 30th, 2021
- Justice Kagan: Poker Shark - Above the Law - January 30th, 2021
- The FIVES Poker Podcast: WPT in the Headlines, Polk Tilts Negreanu - PocketFives - January 30th, 2021
- Partypoker US Network Posts Big Online Poker Revenue Gains in New Jersey During the Final Quarter of 2020 - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- Los Angeles Poker Rooms Given Green Light to Reopen this Week - CardsChat.com - January 30th, 2021
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Get the Inside Story on THAT James Bond Poker Hand - PokerNews.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020