The state of Connecticut is in position to become the seventh state to legalize online poker in the US and the sixth to authorize online casino games after the state House of Representatives passed a bill to allow the games last week by a 122-21 margin.
House Bill 6451 was subsequently referred to the State Senate, and on Friday it was officially added as a Senate agenda item.
In addition to online poker and online casino games, the bill would also authorize:
Should the proposed legislation pass through the Senate, Governor Ned Lamont has indicated that he would sign the bill into law. However, because the bill proposes changes to the compact between the state and the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan tribes, approval by the US Department of Interior (DOI) secretary in accordance with the federal Indian Gaming Regulatory Act (IGRA) is also required.
However, the tribes would not be the only ones to benefit from the proposed expansion in gambling. HB 6451 would also authorize the Connecticut Lottery Corporation (CLC) to offer select online games.
If passed, the bill would take effect on July 1, 2021.
In its current form, HB 6451 would only allow online casino gaming (which includes online poker) to be offered by the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan tribes and not the CLC.
The bill would also restrict the tribes from offering of online casino games and online poker outside of their tribal lands to one skin per tribe, meaning there would only be the potential for two online poker sites in the state.
Currently, there are three premier online poker operators in the US: PokerStars USA, operating in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Michigan; BetMGM USA, which offers online poker in the same states as PokerStars under a mixture of brands that include BetMGM Poker, Borgata Poker; and partypoker US; and 888poker/WSOP USA, which currently offers the only inter-state online poker in the US with brands such as WSOP.com in Nevada and New Jersey, 888poker in New Jersey and three racino brands offered in Delaware.
The inability to offer online poker to the 3.6 million residents of the Constitution State would not pose a significant threat to the success of any of the big three, but it is also possible that only one or even none of the exiting US online poker operators may be able to launch in Connecticut.
The Mashantucket Pequot tribe already has a deal in place in Connecticut with DraftKings, who is rumored to be interested in introducing a new online poker network to the US. Its current market access and the looming conclusion to the Wire Act case next month, which is expected to spur additional interstate online poker interest, could be enough to bring the online sports betting and Daily Fantasy Sports giant off the online poker sidelines.
The Mohegan tribe already has an agreement in place with global online gaming provider Kindred in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, and though there have been no rumblings, Kindred operates online poker under the Unibet brand in other parts of the world. Though it is a long shot, the Unibet Poker software is one of the most modern and user-friendly platforms globally, and its high-quality mobile offering could be competitive in US markets once the Wire Act appeal period expires in June.
Currently, there is also no provision in the Connecticut bill that explicitly allows for interstate online poker networks (also known as shared liquidity), but there is no language that would prohibit online poker operators from allowing players in Connecticut from competing at the same tables as players in other states where online poker is legal and regulated.
Presumably, state lawmakers would pass another law explicitly allowing Connecticut to enter agreements with other states such as the exiting Multi-State Internet Gaming Agreement (MSIGA), or provisions could be included to allowed shared liquidity in the revisions to the tribal compacts with the state.
Read more from the original source:
- BetMGM Poker Running Spin the Wheel Promo in Pennsylvania - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Atlantic City Poker Rooms Remove COVID-Related Seating Restrictions - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker qualifies for the World Series of Poker - Pounding The Rock - May 29th, 2021
- Tony Parker earns berth into World Series of Poker Main Event - Larry Brown Sports - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Bill Passes Senate, Awaits Governor's Signature - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- "Paul Pierce and Phil Ivey to participate in crypto-based poker tournament for charity": Celtics legend to... - The Sportsrush - May 29th, 2021
- Connecticut Online Poker Legalized as Governor Signs Gambling Expansion Bill - CardsChat.com - May 29th, 2021
- Spurs legend Tony Parker is 'very excited' to be the first qualified player for WSOP Main Event - mySA - May 29th, 2021
- WSOP and 888 Banks Biggest Share of New Jersey Online Poker Revenue in April - Pokerfuse - May 29th, 2021
- Will The Pandemic Kill Our Love Of Live Poker? - Casino.Org News - May 29th, 2021
- Online Poker Launches In Michigan Friday Morning - CardPlayer.com - January 30th, 2021
- 4th Annual Ace of Hearts Poker Run benefiting the American Heart Association - WKRG News 5 - January 30th, 2021
- Is There A Future for Nationwide Online Gaming and Poker in the US? - Poker News Daily - January 30th, 2021
- Online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - INFORUM - January 30th, 2021
- Fed Needs a Poker Face to Avoid Taper Tell - The Wall Street Journal - January 30th, 2021
- Is online poker in the cards for North Dakota? - The Dickinson Press - January 30th, 2021
- This Week in Poker Podcasts - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- 888 Executive: US Online Poker to Benefit from Latest Wire Act Ruling - Casino.Org News - January 30th, 2021
- Justice Kagan: Poker Shark - Above the Law - January 30th, 2021
- The FIVES Poker Podcast: WPT in the Headlines, Polk Tilts Negreanu - PocketFives - January 30th, 2021
- Partypoker US Network Posts Big Online Poker Revenue Gains in New Jersey During the Final Quarter of 2020 - Pokerfuse - January 30th, 2021
- Los Angeles Poker Rooms Given Green Light to Reopen this Week - CardsChat.com - January 30th, 2021
- BetOnline Offering Players A Bitcoin Boost On Their Online Poker Deposits - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 16th, 2020
- Get the Inside Story on THAT James Bond Poker Hand - PokerNews.com - December 16th, 2020
- Ike Haxton Calls for Live Poker to be Boycotted amid COVID-19 Crisis - HighstakesDB - December 14th, 2020
- Gabe Kaplan and AJ Benza Return As Hosts For New Season of High Stakes Poker TV Show - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - December 14th, 2020
- BetMGM CEO: U.S. Online Poker Will Again Have Period In Sunshine - US Bets - December 14th, 2020
- PokerStars Blowout Series Offers $60M In Gts | My Blog - Tight Poker - December 14th, 2020
- Election Bets: Who are Poker Players Putting Their Money On? - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Phil Galfond: Run It Once Poker SNGs "Just Around the Corner" - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- I've won more than $4 million playing pokerhere's my No. 1 secret to successful decision-making - CNBC - November 3rd, 2020
- Sudden rush in the Poker Industry in India European Gaming Industry News - European Gaming Industry News - November 3rd, 2020
- MGM Grand To Host Freeroll Tournaments Funded By Unused Jackpot Money From Closed Strip Poker Rooms - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- How to Avoid the Most Common Forms of Cheating in Poker - TimesOfCasino - November 3rd, 2020
- The Pros And Cons Of Playing Poker In An Online Casino - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - November 3rd, 2020
- We Take a Look at the Polk vs. Negreanu Betting Odds - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- Intertops Poker is hosting a new slots tournament this week - World Casino Directory - November 3rd, 2020
- The Great Thing About Poker? "Anyone Can Learn To Win - PokerNews.com - November 3rd, 2020
- To Play Poker in a Pandemic, Americans Flee the U.S. - The New York Times - September 5th, 2020
- Partypoker is Also Returning To Live Poker Circuit With Stop in Russia this Month - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- Poker Operators Should Try Themed Poker Rooms | My Blog - Tight Poker - September 5th, 2020
- How Poker Became the Casino Favorite It Is Today - Pokerfuse - September 5th, 2020
- The Cross-Platform And Cross-Gen Poker Club Brings Social Play To Switch Later This Year - Nintendo Life - September 5th, 2020
- Why Investing in Tesla Is a Bit Like Texas Hold 'Em Poker - RealMoney - September 5th, 2020
- Poker run is this weekend in Brookings | Neighbors - Watertown Public Opinion - September 5th, 2020
- Bayern and Inter involved in "Perisic Poker" - Bulinews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Ripstone Brings Poker Back to Video Game Consoles - Beat The Fish - September 2nd, 2020
- ARE THERE CASINO OR POKER TOURNAMENTS ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT? - Island Echo - September 2nd, 2020
- Benjamin Pollak Latest Player to Join Team partypoker - PokerNews.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Top Ranked Poker Sites to Play in 2020 - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- The Deck Is Not Rigged: Poker and the Limits of AI - Singularity Hub - August 10th, 2020
- Chrome Dragons Riding Club hosts 2nd Annual Kids and Heroes Poker Run - WBOY.com - August 10th, 2020
- Know the odds before you act when playing poker - GamingTodaySlotsToday - August 10th, 2020
- Variations of Poker That is Worth Knowing About - Programming Insider - August 10th, 2020
- Irish poker player scoops $100k and World Series of Poker gold bracelet 22 years after father won same title - The Irish Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Poker, board games and the core group helped the newest Flyers get comfortable | On the Fly - The Philadelphia Inquirer - August 10th, 2020
- Poker in Print: The Godfather of Poker (2012) - CalvinAyre.com - August 9th, 2020
- Homeless Sex Offender Charged In Connection With World Poker Tour Star Susie Zhao Death - Deadline - August 8th, 2020
- Suspect arrested in death of pro poker player found burned at Michigan park - MLive.com - August 8th, 2020
- 'Going to the Dogs' Poker Run and Silent Auction to benefit CCAPS - Magnolia Banner News - August 8th, 2020
- Online Charity Poker Tournament Helps Fly Sick Children to Medical Care - Look to the Stars - August 8th, 2020
- Man, 60, in custody in connection to death of professional poker player Susie Zhao - Detroit Free Press - August 8th, 2020
- Heads Up Poker Podcast: 234 - Steve and Carlos: WITWICWRN - Pokerfuse - August 8th, 2020
- What Site Offers the Best Online Poker Bonus in 2020? - PokerNews.com - August 7th, 2020
- 60-year-old man arrested in connection with Oakland Co. professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- An Open Letter To The WSOP: Why Mixed Games Are Good For Poker Player Development - Poker News - CardPlayer.com - August 7th, 2020
- From poker pro to slaying victim: Susie Q's unlikely story - The Detroit News - August 3rd, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Why Negreanu thinks Ivey is the best poker player in the world - Comcast SportsNet Chicago - August 3rd, 2020
- Facebook develops AI algorithm that learns to play poker on the fly - VentureBeat - August 3rd, 2020
- Man arrested in connection with death of Waterford Twp. pro poker player - The Detroit News - August 2nd, 2020
- Poker Strategy: In Omaha, Outs Aren't Everything, It's Whether You Improve Enough - Poker News Daily - August 2nd, 2020
- Police arrest suspect connected to apparent killing of professional poker player Susie Zhao - ABC News - August 2nd, 2020
- Why Daniel Negreanu Thinks Phil Ivey Is the Best Poker Player in the World - NBC Chicago - August 2nd, 2020
- Person in custody in connection with Oakland County professional poker player's death - WXYZ - August 1st, 2020
- PKO US: Progressive Knockouts Roll out to Global Poker, WPN and Partypoker NJ - Pokerfuse - August 1st, 2020
- Ethan Yau Brings Audience Into His World Series of Poker Dream - PocketFives - August 1st, 2020
- Facebooks New ReBel Poker AI Scores Higher than Pluribus - Beat The Fish - July 31st, 2020
- Ivonne Montealegre discusses how live poker is embracing the online space - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2020
- Hugh Freyer, Poker Player With the Discretion of a Banker, Dies at 86 - The New York Times - July 30th, 2020