Lintao Zhang/Getty Images
Lintao Zhang/Getty Images
The Tokyo Olympics have met numerous challenges, from postponing the event in 2020 to near-empty stadiums in 2021 due to the pandemic. However, a historical challenge when it comes to the games is the massive cost. The current Olympics have already cost Japan over 15 billion dollars, much more than the original seven billion dollar proposal. So why do cities bid for the Olympics, when it is very likely that they will lose money?
Professor Kenneth Shropshire says the Olympics introduce your city to the rest of the world. For example, in 1968 he says, Mexico City wanted to show that Latin America was a place to visit and, in 1984, Los Angeles wanted to illustrate that it wasn't just Hollywood. It was also part of the Pacific Rim. Professor Victor Matheson notes the positive impact on infrastructure that the Olympic games can bring to a city plus the potential boost to local tourism.
tMusic by Drop Electric. Find us: Twitter / Facebook / Newsletter.
Subscribe to our show on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, PocketCasts and NPR One.
The rest is here:
- Olympics End as They Began: Strangely - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Mixed bag: Erratic Pandemic Olympics wind to a nuanced end - Associated Press - August 8th, 2021
- The Tokyo Olympics Indelible Moments of Loss and Solidarity - The New Yorker - August 8th, 2021
- How the Olympics Hurt Tokyo's Economy - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Is It Time to End the Olympics? - The Atlantic - August 8th, 2021
- 2021 Olympics -- In baseball, Japan got the gold it has wanted forever - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- The Olympics Are All Fun, No Games on TikTok - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Why India Struggles to Win Gold Medals in the Olympics - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics: golds for Kenny and Archibald, silver for Muir and more as it happened - The Guardian - August 8th, 2021
- Second Best in the World at the Tokyo Olympics, but Still Saying Sorry - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- For the Next Summer Olympics, Paris 2024 Presses On With Plan A, but Studies Tokyo's Plan B - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics 2021 - Five-time Olympic gold medalists Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are 'greatest teammates in history of sports' - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics on Thursday: No Easy Wins - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- IOC votes to give itself more power to remove sports from Olympics - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- Guide to New Sports at the Tokyo Olympics - NBC Connecticut - August 8th, 2021
- At Tokyo Olympics, Door Slams and Idle Chatter Fill in the Soundtrack - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Extraordinary moments from the Tokyo Olympics that outshined the competition - CBS News - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics Synchronised swimming-Evil dolls and rap music, the new face of synchro - Reuters - August 8th, 2021