TOKYO -- The International Olympic Committee has given itself more power to remove sports from the Olympic program.
The decision voted in by IOC members comes during prolonged issues with the leadership of weightlifting and boxing.
The IOC can now remove a sport if its governing body does not comply with a decision made by the Olympic body's executive board or if it "acts in a manner likely to tarnish the reputation of the Olympic movement."
Weightlifting could lose its place at the 2024 Paris Olympics because of long-term doping problems and governance issues. The International Weightlifting Federation was led for two decades until last year by longtime IOC member Tamas Ajan.
Boxing at the Tokyo Games was taken out of the International Boxing Association's control in 2019 after doubts about the integrity of Olympic bouts and IOC concerns about its presidential elections.
- Olympics End as They Began: Strangely - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Mixed bag: Erratic Pandemic Olympics wind to a nuanced end - Associated Press - August 8th, 2021
- The Tokyo Olympics Indelible Moments of Loss and Solidarity - The New Yorker - August 8th, 2021
- How the Olympics Hurt Tokyo's Economy - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Is It Time to End the Olympics? - The Atlantic - August 8th, 2021
- 2021 Olympics -- In baseball, Japan got the gold it has wanted forever - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- The Olympics Are All Fun, No Games on TikTok - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Why Host The Olympics? : The Indicator from Planet Money - NPR - August 8th, 2021
- Why India Struggles to Win Gold Medals in the Olympics - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics: golds for Kenny and Archibald, silver for Muir and more as it happened - The Guardian - August 8th, 2021
- Second Best in the World at the Tokyo Olympics, but Still Saying Sorry - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- For the Next Summer Olympics, Paris 2024 Presses On With Plan A, but Studies Tokyo's Plan B - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics 2021 - Five-time Olympic gold medalists Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are 'greatest teammates in history of sports' - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics on Thursday: No Easy Wins - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Guide to New Sports at the Tokyo Olympics - NBC Connecticut - August 8th, 2021
- At Tokyo Olympics, Door Slams and Idle Chatter Fill in the Soundtrack - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Extraordinary moments from the Tokyo Olympics that outshined the competition - CBS News - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics Synchronised swimming-Evil dolls and rap music, the new face of synchro - Reuters - August 8th, 2021