Youth was on display as 13-year-old Rayssa Leal of Brazil won silver in womens street skateboarding. Momiji Nishiya of Japan won gold and shes also 13.
The U.S. softball team celebrated a walkoff home run by Kelsey Stewart to beat Japan. The teams will play again on Tuesday for a gold medal.
Ariarne Titmus of Australia, in Lane 3, outswam Katie Ledecky, in Lane 4, in the 400-meter freestyle. Ledecky led for much of the race but Titmus finished stronger.
Germany attacked Argentinas goal in the handball preliminary round, winning 33-25.
Naomi Osaka needed just 65 minutes to get past Viktorija Golubic of Switzerland, 6-3, 6-2. The womens singles field opened up widely for her as two other top players lost.
Fiji, the reigning Olympic champions, beat Canada in rugby qualifying.
The United States and China had a surprisingly close first half in womens water polo. The Americans prevailed and remain the dominant team in the sport.
The sun was setting as the Netherlands played Belgium in three-on-three basketball.
Nikita Nagornyy of Russia helped his country get past Japan and China in the mens gymnastics team final.
David Tshama Mwenekabwe of the Democratic Republic of Congo fought in the mens middleweight class round of 32.
Go here to see the original:
- Olympics End as They Began: Strangely - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Mixed bag: Erratic Pandemic Olympics wind to a nuanced end - Associated Press - August 8th, 2021
- The Tokyo Olympics Indelible Moments of Loss and Solidarity - The New Yorker - August 8th, 2021
- How the Olympics Hurt Tokyo's Economy - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Is It Time to End the Olympics? - The Atlantic - August 8th, 2021
- 2021 Olympics -- In baseball, Japan got the gold it has wanted forever - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- The Olympics Are All Fun, No Games on TikTok - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Why Host The Olympics? : The Indicator from Planet Money - NPR - August 8th, 2021
- Why India Struggles to Win Gold Medals in the Olympics - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics: golds for Kenny and Archibald, silver for Muir and more as it happened - The Guardian - August 8th, 2021
- Second Best in the World at the Tokyo Olympics, but Still Saying Sorry - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- For the Next Summer Olympics, Paris 2024 Presses On With Plan A, but Studies Tokyo's Plan B - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics 2021 - Five-time Olympic gold medalists Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are 'greatest teammates in history of sports' - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- IOC votes to give itself more power to remove sports from Olympics - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- Guide to New Sports at the Tokyo Olympics - NBC Connecticut - August 8th, 2021
- At Tokyo Olympics, Door Slams and Idle Chatter Fill in the Soundtrack - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Extraordinary moments from the Tokyo Olympics that outshined the competition - CBS News - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics Synchronised swimming-Evil dolls and rap music, the new face of synchro - Reuters - August 8th, 2021