Toshiko Ishii, 64, who runs a traditional hotel in the citys Taito Ward, spent over $180,000 converting the buildings first floor into an eatery in anticipation of a flood of tourists.
It was already a bit of a risk, and when the pandemic hit, Ms. Ishii became worried that she might have to shut down. Even with the Olympics, she has had no guests for weeks.
Theres nothing you can really do about the Olympics or the coronavirus, but Im worried, she said. We dont know when this will end, and I have a lot of doubts about how long we can keep the business going.
Pandemic or no, reality was bound to fall short of the grand expectations set by Japanese leaders.
They pitched Tokyo 2020 as an opportunity to show the world a Japan that had shaken off decades of economic stagnation and the devastation of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that touched off the Fukushima nuclear disaster.
Appealing to nostalgia for the 1964 Olympics, when Japan wowed the world with its advanced technology and economic strength, Shinzo Abe, the former prime minister, framed the 2020 Olympics as an ad campaign for a cool, confident country that was the equal of a rising China.
After decades of perceived decline, more and more Japanese, the elder generation, senior people, wanted to remember, wanted to repeat that successful experience again in 21st-century Japan, said Shunya Yoshimi, a professor of sociology at Tokyo University who has written several books about Japans relationship to the events.
Instead, the pandemic brought a sense of fear and uncertainty that were worsened by the decisions of Japans leaders.
See the article here:
- Olympics End as They Began: Strangely - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Mixed bag: Erratic Pandemic Olympics wind to a nuanced end - Associated Press - August 8th, 2021
- The Tokyo Olympics Indelible Moments of Loss and Solidarity - The New Yorker - August 8th, 2021
- Is It Time to End the Olympics? - The Atlantic - August 8th, 2021
- 2021 Olympics -- In baseball, Japan got the gold it has wanted forever - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- The Olympics Are All Fun, No Games on TikTok - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Why Host The Olympics? : The Indicator from Planet Money - NPR - August 8th, 2021
- Why India Struggles to Win Gold Medals in the Olympics - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics: golds for Kenny and Archibald, silver for Muir and more as it happened - The Guardian - August 8th, 2021
- Second Best in the World at the Tokyo Olympics, but Still Saying Sorry - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- For the Next Summer Olympics, Paris 2024 Presses On With Plan A, but Studies Tokyo's Plan B - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics 2021 - Five-time Olympic gold medalists Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are 'greatest teammates in history of sports' - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- Tokyo Olympics on Thursday: No Easy Wins - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- IOC votes to give itself more power to remove sports from Olympics - ESPN - August 8th, 2021
- Guide to New Sports at the Tokyo Olympics - NBC Connecticut - August 8th, 2021
- At Tokyo Olympics, Door Slams and Idle Chatter Fill in the Soundtrack - The New York Times - August 8th, 2021
- Extraordinary moments from the Tokyo Olympics that outshined the competition - CBS News - August 8th, 2021
- Olympics Synchronised swimming-Evil dolls and rap music, the new face of synchro - Reuters - August 8th, 2021