Theyre being called nootropics -- so called smart drugs that offer a shortcut to sharpen your focus and your thinking. Its an online sensation hitting the $30 billion dietary supplement industry.
Geoff Woo is the CEO of Nootrobox/HVMN, and he says hes sure he can make us smarter and quicker on our feet. Woos company and other competitors want us to think about supplements in a drastically new light.
Typical vitamins focus on micro nutrients, so these things are deficiencies in a persons normal diet, he said. What we look at our company is looking at things that can enhance human performance.
Since hes been taking his smart pills, Coleman Maher says his wrestling workouts are easier.
Its a really, really tough grind and its hard to stay focused or motivated sometimes, Maher said. So, having an energy boost is very valuable.
But beyond an energy boost, could these super supplements also boost our brain power? Piracetam is one smart drug gaining popularity. Its sold as a prescription in Europe, but over the counter here, Dr. Vinh Ngo says.
That one has a lot of research behind it, he said. I think theres a potentially huge audience for Nootropics. Anyone can benefit for having improved cognition.
Since supplements escape regulation by the FDA, doctors remind us to be cautious.
Ive tried to kind of clear up a lot of questions people have, make it safe for them to use, Dr. Ngo said.
So what should we be asking before giving them a try?
Just get some sound advice from a medical professional and do your homework, Dr. Ngo said.
While nootropics is not considered a field of medicine just yet, it has gained a huge following within Silicon Valley. Yahoos Marissa Mayer, and venture capitalist Marc Andreessen both are said to have invested in them. Some doctors point out that there can be a risk of high blood pressure and heart disease, and Dr. Ngo makes all of his patients sign waivers for certain nootropics programs.
NOOTROPICS: BOOST BODY AND BRAIN? REPORT #2445
BACKGROUND: Nootropics were first discovered in 1960s, and were used to help people with motion sickness and then later were tested for memory enhancement. In 1971, the nootropic drug piracetam was studied to help improve memory. Romanian doctor Corneliu Giurgea was the one to coin the term for this drug: nootropics. His idea after testing piracetam was to use a Greek combination of nous meaning mind and trepein meaning to bend. Therefore the meaning is literally to bend the mind. Since then, studies on this drug have been done all around the world. One test in particular studied neuroprotective benefits with Alzheimers patients. More tests were done with analogues of piracetam and were equally upbeat. This is a small fraction of nootropic drugs studied over the past decade. Studies were done first on animals and rats and later after results from toxicity reports, on willing humans. (Source)
A COGNITIVE EDGE: Many decades of tests have convinced some people of how important the drugs can be for people who want an enhancement in life. These neuro-enhancing drugs are being used more and more in the modern world. Nootropics come in many forms and the main one is caffeine. Caffeine reduces physical fatigue by stimulating the bodys metabolism. The molecules can pass through the blood brain barrier to affect the neurotransmitters that play a role in inhibition. These molecule messengers can produce muscle relaxation, stress reduction, and onset of sleep. Caffeine is great for shortterm focus and alertness, but piracetam is shown to work for long-term memory. Piracetam enhances brain oxygen supply and the removal of the inhibitory transmitter GABA, thus theoretically improving attention, memory, and learning. While, there are supplements such as alpha GPC or choline bitartrate for piracetam users, choline is also found in some foods such as vegetables and eggs leading to the theory that a vegetarian diet leads to mental acuity. Modafinil is a prescription drug traditionally used to treat narcolepsy. Narcolepsy is an uncommon neurological disorder where individuals are susceptible to repeated sleep throughout the day. Modafinil elevates levels of histamine in the hypothalamus. This leads to a greater amount of alertness. Military pilots have been given this medication for long missions. (Source 1, Source 2)
PRECAUTIONS: Nootropics are sold as nutritional supplements and natural products and refrain from making health claims causing them to avoid close government scrutiny. Piracetam is only one of many formulations in the racetam drug family. Newer ones include aniracetam, phenylpiracetam and oxiracetam and all are available on line where their efficacy and safety are debated and reviewed on message boards and in podcasts. If you are taking Adderall, albuterol or piracetam, you could be at risk for high blood pressure and heart problems. Vinh Ngo, MD, a San Francisco family practice doctor who specializes in hormone therapy, requires his patients to sign waivers acknowledging possible health risks in taking nootropics. While studies have found short-term benefits, Professor Murali Doraiswamy, who has led several trials of cognitive enhancers at Duke University Health System, told The New York Times there is no evidence that what are commonly known as smart drugs, of any type, improve thinking or productivity over the long run. Thats because when you up one circuit in the brain, youre probably impairing another system. (Source)
See original here:
- Comprehensive Analysis On Nootropics Market Based On Types And Application Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 20th, 2021
- Nootropic Products Market Share, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 1st, 2021
- The 14 Best Nootropics and Smart Drugs Reviewed - October 19th, 2020
- Buy The Best Nootropics Online Today at Nootropics Depot - October 19th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Size, Share & Growth, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2025 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) -... - October 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market 2020 Estimate CAGR Analysis, Technological Development Overview, Growth Trends and Competitive Research till 2027... - October 19th, 2020
- 'The Biohackers Guide to Getting Things Done In Times of Uncertainty' Episode 1: 'Why You Really Procrastinate' - CT Post - October 19th, 2020
- The best nootropics and what they can do for patient brain health - Chiropractic Economics - September 4th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Report to 2026 Industry Demand Analysis and Current Trend - Bulletin Line - August 10th, 2020
- I chewed brain-boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 9th, 2020
- 15 Ways Men Can Boost Their Productivity - The Good Men Project - August 6th, 2020
- I chewed brain boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 3rd, 2020
- Low-Alcohol Drinks Are the Future of Booze - GQ Magazine - August 3rd, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market - What Industry Holds for the Future post Covid? Growth Analysis & Complete Insights 2020 - 2026 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Can happy hour lose the booze? - The Hustle - July 30th, 2020
- Quokka Brew Debuts Jitter Free Coffee that will start your breakfast on the right foot natio ... - Drew Reports News - July 30th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Nootropics Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 - CueReport - July 29th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Projections & Future Opportunities Recorded for the Period until 2027|Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Takeda... - July 29th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Nootropics Market : What will prove favorable for Nootropics Market? - The Daily Chronicle - July 28th, 2020
- New Study on Global Nootropics Market | Know Which Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19:::Nootrobox, Cephalon,... - July 28th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic and Non-Economic Aspects By 2027 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Potential Growth, Demand by Regions, Types and Analysis of Key Players;Research Forecasts to 2027|Takeda Pharmaceutical... - July 24th, 2020
- Fun Gifts For Technology Lovers--Any Time Of Year! - knue.com - July 24th, 2020
- Zolmitriptan Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Revolutionising the coffee industry - New Food - July 21st, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 20th, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance UK - July 20th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Manufacturers Profiles, Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up... - July 15th, 2020
- Smart Pills Technology Market Thriving Growth Over Forecast 2020 with Leading Players Proteus Digital Health, Chongqing Jinshan Science &... - July 11th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Nootropics Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2027 with Top Key Players Company1, Company2, Company3, Company4, etc -... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Forecast By 2027 With Top Key Players Like Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Cephalon A/S,... - July 11th, 2020
- Simple ways to release workplace stress - Daily Pioneer - July 11th, 2020
- KOIOS nootropic beverages to be distributed through KeHE - food in canada - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Accelerated Intelligence Inc., Onnit Labs, Inc., Peak... - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 18th, 2020
- Need a Boost Working From Home? These Clinically Approved Supplements Can Help. - Greenwich Time - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Key Players, SWOT Analysis, Dynamics, Drivers, Key Indicators and Forecast to 2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- 50,000 Entrepreneurs Tell Us How to Avoid Stress and Anxiety - Entrepreneur - April 27th, 2020
- 3 Tested Ways to Achieve High Work Performance and Deep Thinking - Entrepreneur - March 21st, 2020
- Crownhealth, The Premium Vegan Sports Nutrition Producer, Is Proud to Announce the Launch of Their New Organic Energy and Protein Bars - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- Polyphenols from grape and blueberry show promise as effective nootropic ingredients - NutraIngredients-usa.com - March 21st, 2020
- Why the New Right Loves Nootropics - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2024 - 3rd Watch News - March 15th, 2020
- How The Rich Are Protecting Themselves Against Coronavirus - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- Sponsored content: Vitafoods Europe 2020 set to drive the global nutraceutical industry forward in the new decade - Nutritional Outlook - March 7th, 2020
- Brain health: The next big trend in functional beverages? - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 29th, 2020
- 7 Nootropics That Combat Daytime Sleepiness and Boost Energy - The Crypto Coin Discovery - February 29th, 2020
- Would you try hacking your brain to perform better? - VOGUE India - February 29th, 2020
- Artists Mine Data and the Mostly Chilling Implications of AI in 'Uncanny Valley' - KQED - February 29th, 2020
- NOOTROPIC FOODS TO BOOST THE MEMORY DURING EXAMINATION - NewsPatrolling - February 29th, 2020
- Nootropics Expert | The Authority on Nootropic Supplements - January 25th, 2020
- How To Hack Your Brain - Top 6 Nootropics - January 25th, 2020
- Sleep cages and ice baths: The extreme lifestyle of local biohackers - Minneapolis Star Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- Koios canned nootropic drink to be sold in over 10,000 retail locations by 2020 - BeverageDaily.com - December 13th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market To Witness a Healthy Growth During 2020 To 2029 - Trade Examiner - December 13th, 2019
- This drink has the benefits of alcohol, without the hangover - Yahoo Finance - December 13th, 2019
- Nootropics Market: Rapid Increase In The Application Predict By 2029 - True Version - December 13th, 2019
- Flexitarianism may save the planet -- but it's killed the traditional European diet - FoodNavigator.com - December 13th, 2019
- Tracks of the week reviewed: Lauryn Hill, Grimes, Pet Shop Boys - The Guardian - November 25th, 2019
- These are the food trends youll see taking over Whole Foods in 2020 - Well+Good - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Will Grow Over USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Market News Network - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Estimated to Reach USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Daily Market Updates - October 1st, 2019
- Magtein Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during the Forecast Period 2019-2029 - The Tribune City - October 1st, 2019
- What killed Adrian Lamo? - Boing Boing - September 21st, 2019
- Latest Report on Nootropics Market Expects an Extensive Growth in ROI of USD 5959 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 21st, 2019
- Biohacking: The Art and Science of Upgrading the Human Being - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2019
- Best Nootropics (Smart Drugs) to Unlock Your True Brain - June 3rd, 2019
- What are Nootropics? | Braintropic - June 3rd, 2019
- Nootropics - reddit - April 29th, 2019
- Best Nootropics 2019 (Updated from 2018) Nootropics Expert - April 29th, 2019
- What are "Nootropics"? - Smart Drug Smarts - April 20th, 2019
- Nootropics r/Nootropics - reddit - April 6th, 2019
- The Complete Introduction To Nootropics, From Beginner To Expert - April 6th, 2019