When cognitive health is mentioned, the geriatric population may come to mind. But the supplement industry is marketing toward college students, gamers and other younger generations who are looking for an energy boost, better mental focus, memory enhancement and blue light exposure protection.
The global nootropics market size is expected to reach $4.94 billion by 2025, according to a new report by Grand View Research. It is projected to register a CAGR of 12.5% during the forecast period. Rising healthcare costs and mental health awareness is anticipated to fuel the demand for nootropics, also known as smart drugs. Other factors which influenced growth is the elderly population battling mild Alzheimer's disease as well as those looking to gain a competitive edge in academic performance.
The memory enhancement application segment led the nootropics market in 2018 and it is expected to remain ahead over the forecast period. As the worlds elderly population grows to an estimated 2 billion by 2050, memory loss remains a major health concern.
Common nootropic ingredients include botanicals like Panax ginseng or Ginkgo biloba, as well as adaptogens like Rhodiola rosea. But recent researchshows that polyphenols from grapes and blueberries combined may help boost declining memory among some older adults.
Researchers in France and Canada piggybacked off their own previous work onmice with other preclinical and clinical studies showing that blueberries and grapes or their extracts may offer benefits for age-related cognitive decline. Their previous animal research also showed a synergistic effect, where grape extract enhanced the absorption of polyphenols in the blueberry extract.
To determine whether an extract of both fruits may affect human cognition, researchers studied 215 men and women aged 60 to 70 years in a 6-month clinical trial. Participants randomly received either a placebo or 600 mg per day of a polyphenol-rich grape and blueberry extract that contained 258 mg of flavonoids. The fruity extract, is marketed under the brand name Memophenol, a trademark of Activ'Inside. Located in Bordeaux, France, the company is also a grape extract specialist.
At the beginning of the trial, researchers administered several baseline cognitive ability tests, including visuospatial skills and episodic memory tests in which participants watched patterned boxes open on a touchscreen computer. When the patterns then appeared in the middle of the screen, participants had to match them to the appropriate box. Additional testing assessed episodic verbal memory and working memory.
All participants improved on the touchscreen computer test after 6 months. However, when researchers divided the participants into 4 groups according to their baseline test performance, they found significant improvement among extract recipients with the greatest cognitive decline. In this group, cognitive age estimated from baseline test results improved by nearly 14 years, compared with about 5.5 years in the placebo group. Overall, the extract group also improved in verbal recall.
[O]ur study confirms the need to define a recommended dietary allowance for flavonoids and revise recommendations for foods rich in these bioactives, the authors concluded.
Benoit Lemaire, CEO of Activ'Inside, told NutraIngredients-USA that their grape and blueberry extract Memophenol is also used in studies of younger populations.
This supplement is not only for seniors. Polyphenol-rich Extract from Grape and Blueberry (PEGB) marketed under the brand Memophenol has been subject of a 2nd clinical study on students.
Indeed, the randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled and crossover clinical study (study title pending) is forthcoming. Lemaire said this clinical work included 30 students ages 18-25 years old under exam conditions, who were supplemented with 600mg Memophenol in one shot. Significant results shown a 36% higher cognitive performance on Memophenol group compared to placebo after 90 minutes.
Memophenol comes in capsules, tablets, sachets and shots.
The Journals of Gerontology: Series A
Volume 74, Issue 7, July 2019, doi.org/10.1093/gerona/gly166
Polyphenols From Grape and Blueberry Improve Episodic Memory in Healthy Elderly with Lower Level of Memory Performance: A Bicentric Double-Blind, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Study
Authors: J. Bensalem, et al
- Comprehensive Analysis On Nootropics Market Based On Types And Application Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 20th, 2021
- Nootropic Products Market Share, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 1st, 2021
- The 14 Best Nootropics and Smart Drugs Reviewed - October 19th, 2020
- Buy The Best Nootropics Online Today at Nootropics Depot - October 19th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Size, Share & Growth, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2025 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) -... - October 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market 2020 Estimate CAGR Analysis, Technological Development Overview, Growth Trends and Competitive Research till 2027... - October 19th, 2020
- 'The Biohackers Guide to Getting Things Done In Times of Uncertainty' Episode 1: 'Why You Really Procrastinate' - CT Post - October 19th, 2020
- The best nootropics and what they can do for patient brain health - Chiropractic Economics - September 4th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Report to 2026 Industry Demand Analysis and Current Trend - Bulletin Line - August 10th, 2020
- I chewed brain-boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 9th, 2020
- 15 Ways Men Can Boost Their Productivity - The Good Men Project - August 6th, 2020
- I chewed brain boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 3rd, 2020
- Low-Alcohol Drinks Are the Future of Booze - GQ Magazine - August 3rd, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market - What Industry Holds for the Future post Covid? Growth Analysis & Complete Insights 2020 - 2026 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Can happy hour lose the booze? - The Hustle - July 30th, 2020
- Quokka Brew Debuts Jitter Free Coffee that will start your breakfast on the right foot natio ... - Drew Reports News - July 30th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Nootropics Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 - CueReport - July 29th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Projections & Future Opportunities Recorded for the Period until 2027|Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Takeda... - July 29th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Nootropics Market : What will prove favorable for Nootropics Market? - The Daily Chronicle - July 28th, 2020
- New Study on Global Nootropics Market | Know Which Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19:::Nootrobox, Cephalon,... - July 28th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic and Non-Economic Aspects By 2027 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Potential Growth, Demand by Regions, Types and Analysis of Key Players;Research Forecasts to 2027|Takeda Pharmaceutical... - July 24th, 2020
- Fun Gifts For Technology Lovers--Any Time Of Year! - knue.com - July 24th, 2020
- Zolmitriptan Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Revolutionising the coffee industry - New Food - July 21st, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 20th, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance UK - July 20th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Manufacturers Profiles, Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up... - July 15th, 2020
- Smart Pills Technology Market Thriving Growth Over Forecast 2020 with Leading Players Proteus Digital Health, Chongqing Jinshan Science &... - July 11th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Nootropics Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2027 with Top Key Players Company1, Company2, Company3, Company4, etc -... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Forecast By 2027 With Top Key Players Like Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Cephalon A/S,... - July 11th, 2020
- Simple ways to release workplace stress - Daily Pioneer - July 11th, 2020
- KOIOS nootropic beverages to be distributed through KeHE - food in canada - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Accelerated Intelligence Inc., Onnit Labs, Inc., Peak... - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 18th, 2020
- Need a Boost Working From Home? These Clinically Approved Supplements Can Help. - Greenwich Time - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Key Players, SWOT Analysis, Dynamics, Drivers, Key Indicators and Forecast to 2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- 50,000 Entrepreneurs Tell Us How to Avoid Stress and Anxiety - Entrepreneur - April 27th, 2020
- 3 Tested Ways to Achieve High Work Performance and Deep Thinking - Entrepreneur - March 21st, 2020
- Crownhealth, The Premium Vegan Sports Nutrition Producer, Is Proud to Announce the Launch of Their New Organic Energy and Protein Bars - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- Why the New Right Loves Nootropics - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2024 - 3rd Watch News - March 15th, 2020
- How The Rich Are Protecting Themselves Against Coronavirus - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- Sponsored content: Vitafoods Europe 2020 set to drive the global nutraceutical industry forward in the new decade - Nutritional Outlook - March 7th, 2020
- Brain health: The next big trend in functional beverages? - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 29th, 2020
- 7 Nootropics That Combat Daytime Sleepiness and Boost Energy - The Crypto Coin Discovery - February 29th, 2020
- Would you try hacking your brain to perform better? - VOGUE India - February 29th, 2020
- Artists Mine Data and the Mostly Chilling Implications of AI in 'Uncanny Valley' - KQED - February 29th, 2020
- NOOTROPIC FOODS TO BOOST THE MEMORY DURING EXAMINATION - NewsPatrolling - February 29th, 2020
- Nootropics Expert | The Authority on Nootropic Supplements - January 25th, 2020
- How To Hack Your Brain - Top 6 Nootropics - January 25th, 2020
- Sleep cages and ice baths: The extreme lifestyle of local biohackers - Minneapolis Star Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- Koios canned nootropic drink to be sold in over 10,000 retail locations by 2020 - BeverageDaily.com - December 13th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market To Witness a Healthy Growth During 2020 To 2029 - Trade Examiner - December 13th, 2019
- This drink has the benefits of alcohol, without the hangover - Yahoo Finance - December 13th, 2019
- Nootropics Market: Rapid Increase In The Application Predict By 2029 - True Version - December 13th, 2019
- Flexitarianism may save the planet -- but it's killed the traditional European diet - FoodNavigator.com - December 13th, 2019
- Tracks of the week reviewed: Lauryn Hill, Grimes, Pet Shop Boys - The Guardian - November 25th, 2019
- These are the food trends youll see taking over Whole Foods in 2020 - Well+Good - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Will Grow Over USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Market News Network - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Estimated to Reach USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Daily Market Updates - October 1st, 2019
- Magtein Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during the Forecast Period 2019-2029 - The Tribune City - October 1st, 2019
- What killed Adrian Lamo? - Boing Boing - September 21st, 2019
- Latest Report on Nootropics Market Expects an Extensive Growth in ROI of USD 5959 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 21st, 2019
- Biohacking: The Art and Science of Upgrading the Human Being - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2019
- Best Nootropics (Smart Drugs) to Unlock Your True Brain - June 3rd, 2019
- What are Nootropics? | Braintropic - June 3rd, 2019
- Nootropics - reddit - April 29th, 2019
- Best Nootropics 2019 (Updated from 2018) Nootropics Expert - April 29th, 2019
- What are "Nootropics"? - Smart Drug Smarts - April 20th, 2019
- Nootropics r/Nootropics - reddit - April 6th, 2019
- The Complete Introduction To Nootropics, From Beginner To Expert - April 6th, 2019
- The Big List of Nootropics | Braintropic - April 6th, 2019