Think back to the mid-2000s, when Myspace was all the rage. Around that time, a little online-dating website popped up based on the idea that users could upload videos introducing themselves.
Things didnt exactly go as planned and now YouTube is the second most popular site on the internet, with 2 billion people logging in every month.
YouTube is projected to make $5.5 billion in ad revenue this year alone in the U.S. and you can get a slice of the pie. Some people are making millions uploading videos of what they love to do.
If you're out of work because of a coronavirus shutdown and are looking for an opportunity, be warned that earning money on YouTube isnt quick or easy. But with persistence and a well thought-out strategy, you can fatten your bank account. Heres what you need to know.
Jacob Lund / Shutterstock
Nothing you do matters if people arent watching. You wont need a million subscribers to see returns, but a sufficiently large or sufficiently dedicated audience is key. Depending on whom you attract, some revenue streams will work out better than others.
When designing your channel, you need to find a niche that you enjoy and others will find valuable. Youll get the best results if your content can be made quickly but is still worth following on a regular or even daily basis.
To get more hits, try using descriptive titles that include popular keywords. That will give people and search engines a clear idea of what your video is about. Adding tags will also help. For example, if your video is about baking, use specific words that relate to your video, such as chocolate chips.
Invite guest YouTubers on your channel or appear on someone elses because you can get a huge boost either way. Other YouTubers have their own followers who will now know about you and the content you provide.
Lastly, pay for YouTube ads. It can get costly but will allow you to directly target prospective viewers. If you target the topic of house pets, your video will appear before all those people watching cat videos.
Once you have a growing audience, you can look into one or more of the following monetization methods. None of them is especially stable, so if you're hoping to make YouTube a career, you may want to seek the advice of a certified financial planner. You can find plans specifically designed for millennials.
GaudiLab / Shutterstock
When most people think about monetizing YouTube, they imagine themselves creating good content and watching the ad dollars pour in. While that is a viable path, there's a bit more to it than that.
First youll need to sign up for a Google AdSense account, connect it to your channel and enable monetization. Once you have enough viewers watching and clicking on ads, a few pennies will start to trickle into your account.
Then youll want to join the YouTube Partner Program. You dont need to join to use AdSense, but the program offers access to other income streams, like YouTube Premiums subscription fees and Super Chat.
To apply for the YouTube Partner Program, youll need a minimum of 4,000 valid public watch hours in the last 12 months, more than 1,000 subscribers and a linked AdSense account.
pathdoc / Shutterstock
While its easy enough to get set up, the challenge is building a channel that pulls valuable ads while sustaining enough viewers to engage with those ads.
Not all ads pay the same amount. A lot of factors can affect the dollar value, including the topic of your videos. Before you begin creating, research the value of different AdSense niches and see whether your content aligns. Insurance and online education are among the most valuable.
AdSense also favors videos it considers safe. That means avoiding content that can be sexually suggestive, contains violence or profanity or drugs or covers controversial and sensitive subjects. Otherwise, Google can exclude you from revenue.
For example, a channel focusing on environmental politics might not make bank, but tips on how to live green (buying an electric vehicle, cutting down on waste or making your home energy efficient) might do better.
Since greater authority and popularity mean more ad revenue, this method for monetizing your YouTube channel is a longer-term play. However, you have other options for scoring returns sooner.
Whether they want to be more independent or are put off by the restrictive nature of what Google considers safe, YouTubers employ multiple ways to make money. Here are some popular alternatives to running ads:
This method is available to creators who are willing and able to perform live. While watching your stream, viewers can donate to pin a comment to the top of the chat window.
SuperChat works well with Q&A sessions, interviews and gaming anything that gives your audience a chance to participate and hear back from you.
Viewers who pay to sign up for YouTube Premium get to watch videos ad-free, along with other perks.
That doesnt mean content creators get cheated; instead of getting a cut of ad revenue, youll get a cut of the subscription fee from any premium users watching your videos.
Keep in mind, this is not a big income source.
Affiliate and influencer marketing
Even moderately popular YouTubers can make good money by talking up products. You might get paid purely for the act of promoting a product, or you might provide your viewers a link to an online store that will net you a commission from each sale.
The best salespeople will weave offers into their usual content in ways that feel natural and benefit their viewers. For example, someone who lost 50 pounds in three months could talk about the vitamin supplements they took during the process. A good product review or comparison could also lead to strong affiliate revenue.
The key here is not the size of your audience but an authentic relationship with viewers who trust your authority. Just remember to disclose that your video is #sponsored.
Working with affiliates might not be your thing, but dont sweat it. You might have a penchant for selling your own products instead, whether thats T-shirts, mugs, artwork or something else entirely.
Selling merchandise works for creators with a recognizable brand or at least a style their viewers will readily identify with. Its an extra challenge on top of making content that will constantly drive new traffic to see your merchandise.
If youre not crafty, youre in luck. Its a lot easier for individuals to do merchandising in the modern age. You can work together with freelancers on marketplace websites like Fiverr to design and produce products, then use services like Oberlo to handle shipping.
If your viewers find your content especially valuable, you can simply ask them for support. Its a simple exchange, really: They get to enjoy the videos they love, and you get paid to make more.
That said, its easier to entice people to support you if you offer extra bonuses like private Q&A sessions or exclusive videos.
Some crowdfunding sites like Patreon ask people to set up a subscription that charges them every month or every time you post a video. Other sites, like Tipeee, offer one-time donations as well.
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2020
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | Fandom - May 26th, 2020
- Mind Uploading - May 26th, 2020
- What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet ... - May 26th, 2020
- Mind uploading - RationalWiki - May 26th, 2020
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2020
- The Singularity Is Near: Mind Uploading by 2045? | Live ... - May 26th, 2020
- The Office Creator Greg Daniels on Returning to the Funny TV Business With Space Force and Upload - Variety - May 26th, 2020
- Soona, The Virtual Photoshoot Company Youve Been Dreaming About - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- Forget Zombies: Its Humans That Make The Walking Dead VR Truly Memorable - UploadVR - May 26th, 2020
- OnePlus 8 Pro: 5 reasons to pick up this fully formed Android [Video] - 9to5Google - May 26th, 2020
- 'The 100': Who Did the Dark Commander Kill? - Heavy.com - May 26th, 2020
- "Rolling - 3,2,1: A take on the Australian Media Industry" - Kalkine Media - May 26th, 2020
- Will We Ever Be Able to Upload Our Brains? - ComputerShopper.com - May 15th, 2020
- AP test-takers report problems submitting online exams, fear they'll have to retake - NBC News - May 15th, 2020
- Instagram Officially Launches Option to Share Instagram Live Broadcasts to IGTV - Social Media Today - May 15th, 2020
- 15 TV shows and hidden gems that might be under your radar - from Netflix's Midnight Gospel to Amazon's Upload - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Broadband jargon buster - learn the internet lingo before you buy - TechRadar - May 15th, 2020
- You will be seeing a lot of Qualcomm SD768G 5G phones soon - GadgetGuy - May 15th, 2020
- Four things that may delay PF advance - Livemint - May 15th, 2020
- Covidsafe app: how Australias coronavirus contact tracing app works, what it does, downloads and problems - The Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- Our forthcoming shows will be dedicated to the memory of those who have lost their lives Aysha Rau, The Little Theatre, Chennai - Indulgexpress - May 15th, 2020
- How to tell how fast your internet speed is using a free and accurate speed test - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 15th, 2020
- Add Game Of Thrones & Westworld To Your Zoom Calls With HBO Backgrounds - Screen Rant - May 15th, 2020
- Aarogya Setu data only shared with government officials directly involved in COVID-19 interventions - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- Beat Ways To Learn PLC Programming With The Help Of PLC Training - NewsPatrolling - May 15th, 2020
- Upload Satirizes a Capitalist Heaven - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security: The New Frontier - Security Today - May 11th, 2020
- Covidsafe app: how to download Australias coronavirus contact tracing app, how it works, what it does and problems - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Why Entrepreneurs Should Choose Insights Over Instincts - The Advocate - May 10th, 2020
- 5 ways to replace stadium atmospheres as football goes behind closed doors - Paddy Power News - May 10th, 2020
- 'I Am Doing My Best' - Teaching Math During the School Closure Crisis - Education Week - May 10th, 2020
- View: The price of Covid freedom may be eternal spying - ETTelecom.com - May 10th, 2020
- How to rent a property during the circuit breaker: Tips for landlords - AsiaOne - May 10th, 2020
- Why Entrepreneurs Should Choose Insights Over Instincts - Entrepreneur - May 9th, 2020
- Free cloud storage: Which providers offer the most space - Android Authority - May 9th, 2020
- The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer - BBC News - May 3rd, 2020
- Enid High School seeing adjustment in wake of coronavirus - Enid News & Eagle - May 3rd, 2020
- Here's How Coronavirus Has Impacted Aussie Drug Habits & How Dealers Are Making It Work - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- 5 Traps That Will Kill Online Learning (and Strategies to Avoid Them) - EdSurge - May 3rd, 2020
- How to Be a Good Neighbor Now - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- From Hannah Gadsby's Douglas to The Great: what's new to streaming in Australia in May - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- That Blessed 'Parks And Rec' Reunion Just Aired So Here's A TL;DR Of Everything That Happened - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- Lockdown in Mind, UGC Committee Recommends Starting Admission Process from August 1 - News18 - May 3rd, 2020
- I Lost My Casual Job & It Ended Up Being The Best Thing That Ever Happened For My Career - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Amazing Tips to Get the Best out of TikTok Mobile App - Dignited - May 3rd, 2020
- Why Our Minds Can't Really Be Uploaded to Computers - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 26th, 2020
- How to edit the caption on a TikTok by reposting it - Business Insider - Business Insider - April 26th, 2020
- The best broadband deals in April 2020 - The Sun - April 26th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know About Your Smartphone's New COVID-19 Tracker - University of Virginia - April 26th, 2020
- The University of Utah library wants you! to share coronavirus history being made at your house - Salt Lake Tribune - April 26th, 2020
- Fear Over The Job Market Prompted Thousands Of People To Upload Their Rsums Online - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- New to Zoom? Here are tips and tricks to make you a pro user - FOX40 - March 31st, 2020
- Meet the artist whose upload is one of our 2020 favourites (so far) - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- How to Make a Bit of Extra Cash From Your Living Room - OZY - March 31st, 2020
- Shufti Pro donates free ID and biometric face verification to coronavirus frontline organizations - Biometric Update - March 31st, 2020
- 'The dancefloor is a religious experience': the unselfconscious retro joy of the home dance workout - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- Half-Life: Alyx Is The Highest Rated PC Game So Far In 2020, According to Metacritic - UploadVR - March 31st, 2020
- The consumers guide to internet speed - Flux Magazine - March 31st, 2020
- Modsy Interior Design Review - The Pros, Cons, and Cost of Modsy - GoodHousekeeping.com - March 31st, 2020
- Westworld: Who Is the Charlotte Hale Host? - Collider.com - March 31st, 2020
- Schools embrace remote learning to beat Covid-19 disruption - Small Business - March 31st, 2020
- Can you see someone's profile picture if they have blocked you on WhatsApp? Here's what you need to know - Times Now - March 31st, 2020
- How the FE sector is adapting to the coronavirus crisis - FE Week - March 31st, 2020
- Valve Talks Half-Life: Alyxs Big Ending: You Could Say The Team Is Issuing A Challenge - UploadVR - March 26th, 2020
- How fast does your internet need to be to survive quarantine life? - Mashable - March 26th, 2020
- How Long Do You Want to Live? This Technology Could Potentially Help People Live Forever - Interesting Engineering - March 26th, 2020
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Jean-Luc Picard may upload his mind to a synthesized being, bringing the show full circle - MEAWW - March 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus making you work from home? We tried these 6 free apps to break the monotony - YourStory - March 26th, 2020
- 2AM's Jo Kwon Talks About How Musicals With EXO's Xiumin, Yoon Ji Sung, And More Helped Him During Military Service + His Future Plans - soompi - March 26th, 2020
- Meet the GIF Makers Who Craft Art out of Pinpoint Gameplay - EGMNOW - March 26th, 2020
- The Best Ways to Virtually Stay in Touch During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Training.com.au - March 26th, 2020
- Why Networking is So Important in the Legal Industry - Legal Reader - March 26th, 2020
- Grammarly vs Ginger: Which Is the Best Grammar Checker - Guiding Tech - March 26th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is highlighting the need for Canada to embrace digital signatures - BetaKit - March 26th, 2020
- Which Malaysian Telco provides the best roaming experience in Singapore? - SoyaCincau.com - March 17th, 2020
- Five Features Your Next CRM Needs To Maximize Your Sales - Forbes - March 17th, 2020
- Here's an easy method to install the Google Play Store on your Huawei phone - comments - GSMArena.com - March 17th, 2020
- City of Cape Town will shut down these facilities due to coronavirus - The South African - March 17th, 2020
- Learning must continue - Daily Times - March 17th, 2020