Here are the events you need to know about this weekend in Pittsburgh: July 31-August 2. Know of a good event taking place soon?Email us here.
Friday, July 31: Lit Fridays with the August Wilson African American Cultural Center6 p.m.Take a virtual visit to the studio of artist Dominic Chambers as he talks with Visual Arts Curator Kilolo Luckett and Literary Curator Jessica Lanay. In September, dont miss Chambers first solo exhibition, Like the Shapes of Clouds on Water, which will showcase his work referencing narratives cited in novels, mythologies and African-American history.
Friday, July 31: Virtual Pride Celebration7 p.m.Show your pride with The Westmoreland Museum of Art. The museums Virtual Pride Celebration Week culminates with a musical performance and live Q&A featuring Bryce Bowyn, who will captivate audiences with his catchy melodies and high-octane dance-pop.
Artist Dominic Chambers. Photo courtesy of the August Wilson African American Cultural Center.
Friday, July 31: Allegheny County Parks Unplugged7 p.m.Leave the stress of the week behind and enjoy upbeat electronic pop music by Tupelo Donovan. Broadcast via the Allegheny County Parks Facebook page and YouTube channel, this free new series features virtual acoustic performances by local artists in natural park environments.
Friday, July 31: White State | Black Mind7 p.m.Dont miss this night of culture with Nigerian American performance artist Jaamil Olawale Kosoko and the Kelly Strayhorn Theater. Streamed via City of Asylums The Show Must Go On(line) channel, the pay what makes you happy event includes a documentary chronicling the making of Kosokos performance, #negrophobia, a poetry reading and a discussion.
Friday, July 31 & Saturday, August 1: A Taste of Picklesburgh in Downtown PittsburghVarious timesYouve got two more days to savor all of the briney goodness (and get your free Heinz pickle pin) at dozens of Downtown establishments. If pickle pizza, pierogies and fudge, spicy pickle cocktails and fried tempura pickles make your mouth water, then you should run not walk to Downtown.
Jaamil Olawale Kosoko. Photo courtesy of the Kelly Strayhorn Theater.
Friday, July 31 through Sunday, August 2: City of Steel Virtual Walk/Run 5K/10KVarious timesIts the last weekend to join this virtual event benefiting BikePGH and the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. Run, walk or stroll in your own neighborhood anytime by the end of July, and youll help provide 25 meals for families in need and support safer city streets. Plus youll snag a really cool bandana.
Saturday, August 1 & Sunday, August 2: Antique Skyscrapers Rooftops & Views TourVarious timesAscend local landmarks to get a birds eye view of the Burgh and hear remarkable stories about our citys iconic skyscrapers and the tycoons who commissioned them. From high above Downtown, youll enjoy dazzling skyline views and snap cool selfies. Tickets are going fast so buy yours now.
Saturday, August 1: MeadowcroftRockshelterand Historic Village10 a.m.-4 p.m.August rocks, because kids 17 and underwill receive free admission all month long at this National Historic Landmark in Avella. Get the kiddos out the house towatch a blacksmith forge red-hot ironin a 19th-century village,usea prehistoricspear-thrower in a MonongahelaIndian village,and explore North Americas oldest site of human habitation.
Saturday, August 1: Kayaking Discovery Course at North Park Lake11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.Glide into August as you set out in a kayak on a guided tour of North Park Lake. Experience the freedom of skimming across the water, and learn about the ecosystem and history of the area. The class meets at the L.L. Bean Trailer at the corner of Babcock Blvd. and Pearce Mill Rd.
Saturday, August 1: Laser Queen with Carnegie Science Centers Buhl Planetarium2:30 p.m.Turn that stay-at-home movie date into a jubilant dance party. Freddie Mercury lives on in this glowing, pulsing playlist pairing favorite Queen anthems like Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Another One Bites the Dust and Bohemian Rhapsody with eye-popping lasers.
Photo courtesy of BikePGH.
Saturday, August 1: Picturing My World Photography Class with Carnegie Museum of Art Various timesDuring this on-demand virtual class, teaching artist Joke Slagle will teach students in grades 6 through 8 to alter pictures in imaginative ways, experiment with lighting techniques and combine images to make a three-part display.
Saturday, August 1: Drive-in Movies at Hartwood Acres7 p.m.The Hartwood Acres Amphitheater has been transformed into a free drive-in movie venue for the summer. This weekends feature is the action-adventure comedy, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Ekernally Yours Popcorn will be on hand selling popcorn, candy and more.
Sunday, July 26: Pittsburgh Penguins 6.6KVarious times
Celebrate the new Pens season by joining this years virtual race benefiting the Mario Lemieux Foundation and Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation. To receive a race packet, shirt and medal, make sure to upload your time by August 15. The event includes a Bench to 6.6K program with weekly training activities.
Photo courtesy of the Mario Lemieux Foundation.
Sunday, August 2: Archery Discovery Course in North Park11 a.m-12:30 p.m.Channel your inner Robin Hood during this introductory archery session led by the pros at L.L. Bean. Youll master proper techniques for holding a bow and releasing an arrow, and learn tips for accuracy, precision and safety.
Sunday, August 2: Watch the Allegheny County Summer Concert Series on Pittsburghs CW7 p.m.The Allegheny County Summer Concert Series has moved the music from South Park and Hartwood Acres to Pittsburghs CW channel. Tonight the series welcomes the Funky Fly Project, a sophisticated ensemble featuring saxophone, keyboards, bass and drums. Follow the funk and jazz sounds via the Allegheny County Parks Facebook page and YouTube channel.
For more events,go here. Know about an interesting event taking place this summer? Email us here.
Pittsburgh eventsPittsburgh virtual eventsThings to do in AugustThings to do in JulyThings to do in PittsburghThings to do this weekend
View original post here:
- On The Podcast: All The Reasons Why Quibi Didnt Work - Tubefilter - October 31st, 2020
- Here is how Photoshop's sky replacement handles a night photo - DIYphotography - October 31st, 2020
- How to link stories and posts the best way to turn your Instagram into a perfect narrative - iLounge - October 31st, 2020
- FileCloud Introduces Most Intuitive File-Sharing Experience Ever: FileCloud Aurora - Business Wire - October 31st, 2020
- Emily Atack on the impact of the horrific sexual harassment she faces every day - The Irish Sun - October 31st, 2020
- 6 WordPress Plugins Breached by Hackers - Built In - October 8th, 2020
- Why Sales and Bestseller List Reporting Is Vital in 2020: An Overview - BTW - October 8th, 2020
- When to Get a Refinance Home Appraisal and When to Skip - Credible News - October 8th, 2020
- Why Image-Enabling the EHR Benefits Patients and Providers Alike - Diagnostic Imaging - October 8th, 2020
- Money Game: Will instruction apps ever beat one-on-one teaching? - Golf.com - October 8th, 2020
- Neuralink Is Impressive Tech, Wrapped in Musk Hype - WIRED - September 8th, 2020
- Glow & Lovely has launched its new campaign, but why does it look and feel exactly like Fair & Lovely? - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- A live digital Platform behind the scenes for more effective and transparent country response - World Health Organization - September 8th, 2020
- How group streaming could look in the future - Mashable - September 8th, 2020
- Back to the books: Glen Cove Public Library is now open for browsing - liherald - September 8th, 2020
- During the pandemic, local companies help seniors bridge the technology gap - Chesterfield Observer - September 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Privacy considerations to keep in mind with Amazon's Halo - CNBC - September 2nd, 2020
- 18 Instagram Stories Hacks That Will Blow Your Mind - Digital Market News - September 2nd, 2020
- Sean OShea: Tips for Paralegals and Litigation Support Professionals August 2020 - JD Supra - September 2nd, 2020
- Why and How Did Tik Tok Absolutely Take Over Quarantine? - The George-Anne - September 2nd, 2020
- Blasters of the Universe: Infinity Forever Is A New Free-Roam VR Shooter - UploadVR - September 2nd, 2020
- Jamia group accuses admin of not listening to queries over merit-based admissions, varsity says no decicion yet - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- 'As Kids We Were Taught to Become Humans, Amit Shah Wants Us to Become Hindus, Muslims' - The Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- There's more to testing than simply testing - SDTimes.com - September 2nd, 2020
- 'We're lucky to have The Hub' - Art & Leisure - Teesdale Mercury - September 2nd, 2020
- On The Podcast: Snapchat Is The Biggest Media Company Whose Content Youve Never WatchedBut Thats About To Change - Tubefilter - August 31st, 2020
- Yes, John Carmack Will Speak Live At Facebook Connect - UploadVR - August 31st, 2020
- Grab's Asha Gourinath on why it's time for brands to re-evaluate their messaging - The Drum - August 31st, 2020
- Tired Of Looking Online? These New Business Ideas Are Mind-Blowing To Start With! - Inventiva - August 31st, 2020
- How to Record and Transcribe Audio in Microsoft Word - Beebom - August 31st, 2020
- Start with a fresh page: Former Moray journalist on life as a tour guide in Barcelona and her new book - Press and Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Using tech to define the 'new normal' in classrooms | Business Post - Business Post - August 31st, 2020
- A Day in the Life: NBA Journalists Living Inside the Orlando Bubble - Sportscasting - August 31st, 2020
- LINKS Demand Marketing Trailblazes The Bi-lingual On-demand Marketing Experience - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Onslaught Will Be Forward Compatible With PS5 For PSVR - UploadVR - August 14th, 2020
- Ease anxiety with the sounds of bees - Los Angeles Times - August 14th, 2020
- The role of remote monitoring post-lockdown - Med-Tech Innovation - August 14th, 2020
- DLive add new emote feature - here's how to use it - Dexerto - August 14th, 2020
- As Film Festivals Go Online, a Competitive New Business Takes Shape to Support Them - IndieWire - August 14th, 2020
- The best recent science fiction, fantasy and horror review roundup - The Guardian - August 14th, 2020
- What is The Dream Bell Exchange Ticket in Animal Crossing (& How to Get Them) - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Instagram launches Reels, its attempt to keep you off TikTok - The Verge - August 10th, 2020
- Join a Virtual Race with the Northwest Broward Road Runners Club - Parkland Talk - Parkland Talk - August 10th, 2020
- Gigabit broadband rollout milestone reached - GOV.UK - GOV.UK - August 10th, 2020
- GMB weather girl Lucy Verasamy parades mind-blowing curves in skintight top - Daily Star - August 10th, 2020
- Understanding files: 4 types of files and their uses - AZ Big Media - August 8th, 2020
- How to remove restrictions from a PDF with free programs? - Explica - August 8th, 2020
- Berkeley has put $580K behind the arts. The caveat: no one can congregate to enjoy them - Berkeleyside - August 8th, 2020
- Dreams PSVR Review: A Messy, Unmissable VR Playground In Need Of An Overhaul - UploadVR - August 8th, 2020
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- In a future of mind uploading, will you still be you, and ... - August 8th, 2020
- The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- The Singularity Is Near: Mind Uploading by 2045? | Live ... - August 8th, 2020
- Eye of the Temple Reminds You How Amazing Room-Scale VR Is, Demo Available Now - UploadVR - August 7th, 2020
- Teaching: Your Questions About Hybrid Teaching Answered - The Chronicle of Higher Education - August 7th, 2020
- New Font Styles on Instagram Stories: How to Find and Use the New Font Styles - Parade - August 7th, 2020
- How to Get Cast on 'The X Factor' - Backstage - August 7th, 2020
- 'Naming The Tree' | Circle Round 103 | Circle Round - WBUR - August 6th, 2020
- Green and Growing: Plant blindness, a mower, and one unfortunate afternoon - theday.com - August 6th, 2020
- Find the Original Source Image of your Favorite Movie - News Lagoon - August 6th, 2020
- Penn law and engineering students built these accessible tech projects for Philly nonprofits - Technical.ly - August 6th, 2020
- PewDiePie shares reason behind not wanting to take photos in public - Dexerto - August 4th, 2020
- Heres how to identify the cause of your slow internet speed - KTAR.com - August 4th, 2020
- Breaking News - Amazon Studios Orders Second Season of the Hit Thriller "Hunters" - The Futon Critic - August 4th, 2020
- Start the Year With a 'Primary Focus' on Relationship-Building - Education Week - August 4th, 2020
- The First Steps in Adding Ecommerce to a Brick-and-mortar Store - Practical Ecommerce - August 4th, 2020
- The digital divide worsens the inequitable impacts of the climate crisis - GreenBiz - August 4th, 2020
- Skypath Security, Inc. Announces the Integration of a multi-functional Panic Button Alert System into its World Class Mobile Defense Platform - PR Web - August 4th, 2020
- Wealth Tech Demystified Part 5: Fee And Billing Software - Barron's - July 31st, 2020
- AI tool developed to predict, monitor and test health and safety of workforce - HR News - July 31st, 2020
- Tim Burton Had 'The Rock' In Mind For 2005 Willy Wonka Adaptation - 97.3FM - July 31st, 2020
- The complete guide to advertising on YouTube - Media Update - July 31st, 2020
- Thanks to COVID-19 cash, faster internet is coming for parts of rural Mississippi - Clarion Ledger - July 31st, 2020
- The Ultimate Ranking of The Muppets - E! Online - July 31st, 2020
- FYJC admissions: CAP committee issues instructions to ensure students face no hiccups while filling forms online - The Indian Express - July 31st, 2020
- Watauga County Schools To Open School Year With 9 Weeks Of Remote Learning - Go Blue Ridge - July 31st, 2020
- Singapore third in Asia-Pacific for mobile network experience ahead of 5G rollout: Study - The Straits Times - July 31st, 2020
- What is alt text in WordPress? How to add image descriptions on your web page to improve accessibility and website ranking - Business Insider... - July 31st, 2020
- 10 Main TV Characters Who Were Dead The Whole Time | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - July 31st, 2020
- Animal Crossing New Horizons Dream Suite: How to Visit Other Players' Islands - Twinfinite - July 30th, 2020