A group of rising third-year law students at the University of Pennsylvania have teamed up with engineering students to create two tech-focused legal projects to be used by underserved communities navigating legal issues.
One project, a digital lockbox of sorts, will operate inside Broad Street Ministry (BSM) and be able to hold important documents like a birth certificate or medical records for housing insecure people. The other is a collaboration with Community Legal Services (CLS) on a form that would walk users through tricky tax law documents to see if in-person legal advice is needed.
The students work closely with Professor Cynthia Dahl, director of the Detkin Intellectual Property and Technology Legal Clinic, where she and students collaborate with startup founders on a variety of needs.
Zachary Furcolo and Maria Tartakovsky, both third-year law students with tech backgrounds, have spent the last academic year working on a guided interview project with CLS. The project is designed to help at-risk populations, like veterans or seniors, with property tax burdens.
In talking with CLS, we found out that people in these populations often come in when theyre about to get evicted, and CLS was looking for a way to get them enrolled before that happens, in a way that wouldnt force them to take off work and come in, Furcolo said. These forms and procedures can sometimes get a little complicated to fill out at home.
The tech behind the Property Tax Abatement Eligibility Survey aka the PhilaForm helps a user fill it out, asks questions and reminds them about documents they might need. It will also alert a user if theyre eligible for a number of tax programs. The tool itself is done, but the team is currently working with CLS and the engineering students who built the tool to vet it before rolling it out to the public.
But the group realizes theres work outside of creating the tool, Tartakovsky said. They also intend to target individuals or communities that could use the tool and promote it so that the public knows its available to them.
The group brought their project to the Iron Tech Invitational, a Georgetown University-based tech competition for the legal field. They didnt win, but it was a great experience to see that what the group thought was a niche area was actually being invested in by people across the country, Furcolo said.
For outreach purposes, the PhilaForm team identified property parcels that were likely to qualify for certain tax abatement programs and generated heat maps. (Courtesy image)
I do think AI in the legal space is looking pretty beneficial for lawyers, Tartakovsky said. Its important to make sure attorneys have access to relevant information, and the variables in place to help their clients. I think tech is proven to be prevalent in the legal space.
Another group of Penn students also created a project with Iron Tech standards in mind, although it didnt end up competing. Rising third year law student Matthew Copeland worked with a group of law and engineering students to develop a digital lockbox called Keep.id for BSM. Guests who use the nonprofits services could upload and have a place to store important documents so they wouldnt have to carry them around.
Copelands role involved learning data security law, which he said is ever-evolving in Pennsylvania. Currently, the project is being worked on by 13 independent contractors, all students or recent grads, from universities across the northeastern United States.
Having incorporated and secured an interest amongst our customers to beta test the product, were in the process just now of establishing a bank account for our organization and of setting up the nonprofit-focused (donations-focused) pages of the website, said the projects comms lead, Jackson Foltz.
Copeland said learning about the securities involved, like how the tech could be HIPAA-compliant, was difficult.
But its worth it having the guests have something to call their own, even if its digital, he said. Its work well worth it.
- Protolabs: Redoing the revolution in digital manufacturing - Digital Commerce 360 - December 22nd, 2020
- 9-year-old beats Mr Beast & PewDiePie as 2020s highest-paid YouTuber - Dexerto - December 22nd, 2020
- Such a Personal, Private Thing: Rethinking the Home Pregnancy Test - The New York Times - December 22nd, 2020
- On The Podcast: All The Reasons Why Quibi Didnt Work - Tubefilter - October 31st, 2020
- Here is how Photoshop's sky replacement handles a night photo - DIYphotography - October 31st, 2020
- How to link stories and posts the best way to turn your Instagram into a perfect narrative - iLounge - October 31st, 2020
- FileCloud Introduces Most Intuitive File-Sharing Experience Ever: FileCloud Aurora - Business Wire - October 31st, 2020
- Emily Atack on the impact of the horrific sexual harassment she faces every day - The Irish Sun - October 31st, 2020
- 6 WordPress Plugins Breached by Hackers - Built In - October 8th, 2020
- Why Sales and Bestseller List Reporting Is Vital in 2020: An Overview - BTW - October 8th, 2020
- When to Get a Refinance Home Appraisal and When to Skip - Credible News - October 8th, 2020
- Why Image-Enabling the EHR Benefits Patients and Providers Alike - Diagnostic Imaging - October 8th, 2020
- Money Game: Will instruction apps ever beat one-on-one teaching? - Golf.com - October 8th, 2020
- Neuralink Is Impressive Tech, Wrapped in Musk Hype - WIRED - September 8th, 2020
- Glow & Lovely has launched its new campaign, but why does it look and feel exactly like Fair & Lovely? - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- A live digital Platform behind the scenes for more effective and transparent country response - World Health Organization - September 8th, 2020
- How group streaming could look in the future - Mashable - September 8th, 2020
- Back to the books: Glen Cove Public Library is now open for browsing - liherald - September 8th, 2020
- During the pandemic, local companies help seniors bridge the technology gap - Chesterfield Observer - September 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Privacy considerations to keep in mind with Amazon's Halo - CNBC - September 2nd, 2020
- 18 Instagram Stories Hacks That Will Blow Your Mind - Digital Market News - September 2nd, 2020
- Sean OShea: Tips for Paralegals and Litigation Support Professionals August 2020 - JD Supra - September 2nd, 2020
- Why and How Did Tik Tok Absolutely Take Over Quarantine? - The George-Anne - September 2nd, 2020
- Blasters of the Universe: Infinity Forever Is A New Free-Roam VR Shooter - UploadVR - September 2nd, 2020
- Jamia group accuses admin of not listening to queries over merit-based admissions, varsity says no decicion yet - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- 'As Kids We Were Taught to Become Humans, Amit Shah Wants Us to Become Hindus, Muslims' - The Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- There's more to testing than simply testing - SDTimes.com - September 2nd, 2020
- 'We're lucky to have The Hub' - Art & Leisure - Teesdale Mercury - September 2nd, 2020
- On The Podcast: Snapchat Is The Biggest Media Company Whose Content Youve Never WatchedBut Thats About To Change - Tubefilter - August 31st, 2020
- Yes, John Carmack Will Speak Live At Facebook Connect - UploadVR - August 31st, 2020
- Grab's Asha Gourinath on why it's time for brands to re-evaluate their messaging - The Drum - August 31st, 2020
- Tired Of Looking Online? These New Business Ideas Are Mind-Blowing To Start With! - Inventiva - August 31st, 2020
- How to Record and Transcribe Audio in Microsoft Word - Beebom - August 31st, 2020
- Start with a fresh page: Former Moray journalist on life as a tour guide in Barcelona and her new book - Press and Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Using tech to define the 'new normal' in classrooms | Business Post - Business Post - August 31st, 2020
- A Day in the Life: NBA Journalists Living Inside the Orlando Bubble - Sportscasting - August 31st, 2020
- LINKS Demand Marketing Trailblazes The Bi-lingual On-demand Marketing Experience - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Onslaught Will Be Forward Compatible With PS5 For PSVR - UploadVR - August 14th, 2020
- Ease anxiety with the sounds of bees - Los Angeles Times - August 14th, 2020
- The role of remote monitoring post-lockdown - Med-Tech Innovation - August 14th, 2020
- DLive add new emote feature - here's how to use it - Dexerto - August 14th, 2020
- As Film Festivals Go Online, a Competitive New Business Takes Shape to Support Them - IndieWire - August 14th, 2020
- The best recent science fiction, fantasy and horror review roundup - The Guardian - August 14th, 2020
- What is The Dream Bell Exchange Ticket in Animal Crossing (& How to Get Them) - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Instagram launches Reels, its attempt to keep you off TikTok - The Verge - August 10th, 2020
- Join a Virtual Race with the Northwest Broward Road Runners Club - Parkland Talk - Parkland Talk - August 10th, 2020
- Gigabit broadband rollout milestone reached - GOV.UK - GOV.UK - August 10th, 2020
- GMB weather girl Lucy Verasamy parades mind-blowing curves in skintight top - Daily Star - August 10th, 2020
- Understanding files: 4 types of files and their uses - AZ Big Media - August 8th, 2020
- How to remove restrictions from a PDF with free programs? - Explica - August 8th, 2020
- Berkeley has put $580K behind the arts. The caveat: no one can congregate to enjoy them - Berkeleyside - August 8th, 2020
- Dreams PSVR Review: A Messy, Unmissable VR Playground In Need Of An Overhaul - UploadVR - August 8th, 2020
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- In a future of mind uploading, will you still be you, and ... - August 8th, 2020
- The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- The Singularity Is Near: Mind Uploading by 2045? | Live ... - August 8th, 2020
- Eye of the Temple Reminds You How Amazing Room-Scale VR Is, Demo Available Now - UploadVR - August 7th, 2020
- Teaching: Your Questions About Hybrid Teaching Answered - The Chronicle of Higher Education - August 7th, 2020
- New Font Styles on Instagram Stories: How to Find and Use the New Font Styles - Parade - August 7th, 2020
- How to Get Cast on 'The X Factor' - Backstage - August 7th, 2020
- 'Naming The Tree' | Circle Round 103 | Circle Round - WBUR - August 6th, 2020
- Green and Growing: Plant blindness, a mower, and one unfortunate afternoon - theday.com - August 6th, 2020
- Find the Original Source Image of your Favorite Movie - News Lagoon - August 6th, 2020
- PewDiePie shares reason behind not wanting to take photos in public - Dexerto - August 4th, 2020
- Heres how to identify the cause of your slow internet speed - KTAR.com - August 4th, 2020
- Breaking News - Amazon Studios Orders Second Season of the Hit Thriller "Hunters" - The Futon Critic - August 4th, 2020
- Start the Year With a 'Primary Focus' on Relationship-Building - Education Week - August 4th, 2020
- The First Steps in Adding Ecommerce to a Brick-and-mortar Store - Practical Ecommerce - August 4th, 2020
- The digital divide worsens the inequitable impacts of the climate crisis - GreenBiz - August 4th, 2020
- Skypath Security, Inc. Announces the Integration of a multi-functional Panic Button Alert System into its World Class Mobile Defense Platform - PR Web - August 4th, 2020
- Wealth Tech Demystified Part 5: Fee And Billing Software - Barron's - July 31st, 2020
- AI tool developed to predict, monitor and test health and safety of workforce - HR News - July 31st, 2020
- Tim Burton Had 'The Rock' In Mind For 2005 Willy Wonka Adaptation - 97.3FM - July 31st, 2020
- The complete guide to advertising on YouTube - Media Update - July 31st, 2020
- Thanks to COVID-19 cash, faster internet is coming for parts of rural Mississippi - Clarion Ledger - July 31st, 2020
- The Ultimate Ranking of The Muppets - E! Online - July 31st, 2020
- FYJC admissions: CAP committee issues instructions to ensure students face no hiccups while filling forms online - The Indian Express - July 31st, 2020
- Watauga County Schools To Open School Year With 9 Weeks Of Remote Learning - Go Blue Ridge - July 31st, 2020
- Singapore third in Asia-Pacific for mobile network experience ahead of 5G rollout: Study - The Straits Times - July 31st, 2020
- What is alt text in WordPress? How to add image descriptions on your web page to improve accessibility and website ranking - Business Insider... - July 31st, 2020