Photo Source: Courtesy ITV
When it comes to searching for new music talent, X marks the spot. ITVs long-running British reality music competition show The X Factor takes contestants through high-stakes auditions, performance boot camps, eliminations, judge mentorships, and live performances until the public decides the winner(s)the recipients of a recording contract. While the show will be resting this year, plans are in motion for a reinvigorated version in 2021.
Over the course of the series, which began in 2004, undiscovered singers show off their vocal skills in front of a panel of judges (originally Simon Cowell, Louis Walsh, and Sharon Osbourne; most recently in 2018, Louis Tomlinson, Ayda Field, and Robbie Williams) and an audience to test talent and performance. In contrast to similar shows like American Idol, The X Factor has no age limit: kids as young as 12 have tried out (though the lower age limit has been bumped to 16), and groups of singers can apply. Those who move on to the next rounds learn choreography, sing for their life, and step up their game. Each judge is tasked with mentoring a category and through various performance and elimination rounds. Some of the biggest stars to emerge from the show include One Direction, Fifth Harmony, Little Mix, and Leona Lewis.
The X Factor was created by Simon Cowell, who has remained its executive producer. After the 15th Series in the U.K. and a three-season run of its American adaptation, two spinoffs of the showThe X Factor: Celebrity and The X-Factor: The Bandaired last year. On the next official season of the show, Cowell has said, Next year the main X Factor show will change again and weve got something very, very exciting, that I cant get into yet, but its a four-year plan.
While the show is currently on hiatus for the year, it was announced in April that The X-Factor has opened up its applications for next season. The auditions are taking place online via video submissions and in-person across cities in the U.K.
Singers can choose whether they want to audition in-person or via video submission, and if theyre trying out as a solo act or group. Those who wish to submit a video audition must upload a recent video of you performing and should have this prepared before filling out the application. If a group submits, all group members are present when completing the application.
All auditioners must be 16 years old or over by June 25, 2021, which is the current deadline for online applications. Anybody under 18 at the time of applying must have their parents/guardians permission before continuing.
Waiting for The X Factor to Return? Apply to These Reality Competition + Singing Gigs
While no information regarding the status of returning names has been announced, the last official seasons principal players were:
The names that made up Decembers The X Factor: The Band were:
Similar to its predecessor Pop Idol, The X Factor mines several cities in search of the worlds next legendary singers via open auditions. Even prior to COVID-19 restrictions, auditioners could submit their performances online and/or over texts. This means that there isnt ever one primary casting director or team of mainstay casting agents. For each season, casting is conducted by teams, with producers reaching out to local talent agencies to find prospective contestants.
For the American iteration of the show, both FreMantle Productions and Bizzly Blondes Entertainment ran casting calls for Teen Male Singers, 15-18 and Teen Female Singers, 15-18, and soloists and vocal groups, respectively.
Much like other talent competition shows, the preliminary auditions take place well before the judges ever see anything and potential contestants go through many rounds of callbacks. I had five auditions before I saw [the judges]...its a quite a grueling process, said finalist Mason Noise. I went to London, went into a room with some X Factor crew, then into another room and another with more, higher-up producers.
After passing a round or two of auditions with producers and members of the production team, wherein theyre judged based on sheer talent and/or the potential for making for entertaining TV, theyre then granted a golden ticket to sing before a more senior production member. Those who make the cut there on out are able to perform for the judges.
The auditions are open to anyone who can singyou can be 12, you can be 112, Cowell said. If youre a performer, this is gonna be a great opportunity for you. On this show, the contestants are gonna have to do the auditions in front of 3,000 or 4,000 people. If you can come out and nail it in front of 3,000 or 4,000 people, then youve got the makings of a star.
Stand out by being yourself: Be original, Cowell advised. Try not to copy what everybody else is doing. What I look for is what we havent seen or heard before. You know, you always want something different[and] dont be afraid to be what I would say out there. Stand out from the crowd. He also added: Dress differently, behave differently, dance differently.
Liam Payne of One Direction echoed the sentiment while reflecting on his first audition: Separate yourself from someone else, do something that makes you a little bit different, and put yourself out there.
Presenter Dermot OLeary, who has served as host for more than 10 seasons, said, The way people audition has changed a lot over the years. We used to get people saying Tell me who you want me to be, but these days people know who they are as an artist, theyre not copying other people and theyve probably got their own YouTube channel. I think X Factor is still relevant and still an incredible way for people to get their music out there.
Louisa Johnson, who was the shows winner in 2015, agrees: Theres always ways to make things different. Be yourself. Its really hard, you can get quite wrapped up in things, especially when theres so many people with so many opinions...But as long as youre staying true to yourself and doing what makes you happy, then I think you cant really go wrong. The only person that you really need to make happy is yourself at the end of the day.
Get creative about your song choices: The worst thing you can do is sing a song that everyone else is doing too, said OLeary. Think outside the box. Pick a song thats original and other people are unlikely to choose. The judges wont put you through if you bore them.The judges dont want to see a young guy doing an Ed Sheeran song, or a girl doing Adele. [They] wont be able to help comparing you with the original artist and you will come up short.
Raid your parents record collections for an old song that you can update. Some of the best auditions do that. Like Emily Middlemas...who chose Master Blaster by Stevie Wonder, which no one else did, so she stood out.
Dont let your nerves take control: Nerves are only natural and everyone will get them, says industry insider Max Millias, who has worked on the show behind-the-scenes. The first thing you can always do is make sure you look good. The better you look, the more confident you feel. Then you also need to make sure you keep a positive frame of mind. If you get any negative thoughts about what might go wrong, then just make sure they are quickly displaced from your mind. Probably the best way to deal with the nerves is to motivate yourself. Tell yourself that this audition is finally your chance to show people just how good you are and prove to the judges you have what it takes.
Dont give up: Jesse Campbell, who auditioned twice for the American version of The X Factor before ultimately getting far on NBCs The Voice, spoke of not being upset if you get rejected: I spent hundreds of dollars, I did my inner work, I did my vocal work, physical work in preparation for it. I stood out in the rain at two in the morning, in the cold, ate right, did everything that I knew to do, and my bestI believewas and always is good enough, as is yours. But just dont be attached to the outcome of anything. You aim high, you do your part, and then do your best and then let it go because if you are so attached to the outcome, then you never know...the universe may have something different for you. But how you relate to yourself while youre going through that process becomes the process. See the brighter side of things. Look for the positive in the negative. Reframe it, turn it into something good. Keep moving. Keep going to the next audition, to the next audition.
The audition process for The X Factor begins online, and those who wish to submit an application can do so here. Be sure to also stay plugged into the show via Instagram and Twitter for any and all audition updates!
Read more from the original source:
- Protolabs: Redoing the revolution in digital manufacturing - Digital Commerce 360 - December 22nd, 2020
- 9-year-old beats Mr Beast & PewDiePie as 2020s highest-paid YouTuber - Dexerto - December 22nd, 2020
- Such a Personal, Private Thing: Rethinking the Home Pregnancy Test - The New York Times - December 22nd, 2020
- On The Podcast: All The Reasons Why Quibi Didnt Work - Tubefilter - October 31st, 2020
- Here is how Photoshop's sky replacement handles a night photo - DIYphotography - October 31st, 2020
- How to link stories and posts the best way to turn your Instagram into a perfect narrative - iLounge - October 31st, 2020
- FileCloud Introduces Most Intuitive File-Sharing Experience Ever: FileCloud Aurora - Business Wire - October 31st, 2020
- Emily Atack on the impact of the horrific sexual harassment she faces every day - The Irish Sun - October 31st, 2020
- 6 WordPress Plugins Breached by Hackers - Built In - October 8th, 2020
- Why Sales and Bestseller List Reporting Is Vital in 2020: An Overview - BTW - October 8th, 2020
- When to Get a Refinance Home Appraisal and When to Skip - Credible News - October 8th, 2020
- Why Image-Enabling the EHR Benefits Patients and Providers Alike - Diagnostic Imaging - October 8th, 2020
- Money Game: Will instruction apps ever beat one-on-one teaching? - Golf.com - October 8th, 2020
- Neuralink Is Impressive Tech, Wrapped in Musk Hype - WIRED - September 8th, 2020
- Glow & Lovely has launched its new campaign, but why does it look and feel exactly like Fair & Lovely? - Business Insider India - September 8th, 2020
- A live digital Platform behind the scenes for more effective and transparent country response - World Health Organization - September 8th, 2020
- How group streaming could look in the future - Mashable - September 8th, 2020
- Back to the books: Glen Cove Public Library is now open for browsing - liherald - September 8th, 2020
- During the pandemic, local companies help seniors bridge the technology gap - Chesterfield Observer - September 8th, 2020
- Op-ed: Privacy considerations to keep in mind with Amazon's Halo - CNBC - September 2nd, 2020
- 18 Instagram Stories Hacks That Will Blow Your Mind - Digital Market News - September 2nd, 2020
- Sean OShea: Tips for Paralegals and Litigation Support Professionals August 2020 - JD Supra - September 2nd, 2020
- Why and How Did Tik Tok Absolutely Take Over Quarantine? - The George-Anne - September 2nd, 2020
- Blasters of the Universe: Infinity Forever Is A New Free-Roam VR Shooter - UploadVR - September 2nd, 2020
- Jamia group accuses admin of not listening to queries over merit-based admissions, varsity says no decicion yet - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- 'As Kids We Were Taught to Become Humans, Amit Shah Wants Us to Become Hindus, Muslims' - The Wire - September 2nd, 2020
- There's more to testing than simply testing - SDTimes.com - September 2nd, 2020
- 'We're lucky to have The Hub' - Art & Leisure - Teesdale Mercury - September 2nd, 2020
- On The Podcast: Snapchat Is The Biggest Media Company Whose Content Youve Never WatchedBut Thats About To Change - Tubefilter - August 31st, 2020
- Yes, John Carmack Will Speak Live At Facebook Connect - UploadVR - August 31st, 2020
- Grab's Asha Gourinath on why it's time for brands to re-evaluate their messaging - The Drum - August 31st, 2020
- Tired Of Looking Online? These New Business Ideas Are Mind-Blowing To Start With! - Inventiva - August 31st, 2020
- How to Record and Transcribe Audio in Microsoft Word - Beebom - August 31st, 2020
- Start with a fresh page: Former Moray journalist on life as a tour guide in Barcelona and her new book - Press and Journal - August 31st, 2020
- Using tech to define the 'new normal' in classrooms | Business Post - Business Post - August 31st, 2020
- A Day in the Life: NBA Journalists Living Inside the Orlando Bubble - Sportscasting - August 31st, 2020
- LINKS Demand Marketing Trailblazes The Bi-lingual On-demand Marketing Experience - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2020
- The Walking Dead Onslaught Will Be Forward Compatible With PS5 For PSVR - UploadVR - August 14th, 2020
- Ease anxiety with the sounds of bees - Los Angeles Times - August 14th, 2020
- The role of remote monitoring post-lockdown - Med-Tech Innovation - August 14th, 2020
- DLive add new emote feature - here's how to use it - Dexerto - August 14th, 2020
- As Film Festivals Go Online, a Competitive New Business Takes Shape to Support Them - IndieWire - August 14th, 2020
- The best recent science fiction, fantasy and horror review roundup - The Guardian - August 14th, 2020
- What is The Dream Bell Exchange Ticket in Animal Crossing (& How to Get Them) - Screen Rant - August 10th, 2020
- Instagram launches Reels, its attempt to keep you off TikTok - The Verge - August 10th, 2020
- Join a Virtual Race with the Northwest Broward Road Runners Club - Parkland Talk - Parkland Talk - August 10th, 2020
- Gigabit broadband rollout milestone reached - GOV.UK - GOV.UK - August 10th, 2020
- GMB weather girl Lucy Verasamy parades mind-blowing curves in skintight top - Daily Star - August 10th, 2020
- Understanding files: 4 types of files and their uses - AZ Big Media - August 8th, 2020
- How to remove restrictions from a PDF with free programs? - Explica - August 8th, 2020
- Berkeley has put $580K behind the arts. The caveat: no one can congregate to enjoy them - Berkeleyside - August 8th, 2020
- Dreams PSVR Review: A Messy, Unmissable VR Playground In Need Of An Overhaul - UploadVR - August 8th, 2020
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- In a future of mind uploading, will you still be you, and ... - August 8th, 2020
- The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer - BBC News - August 8th, 2020
- The Singularity Is Near: Mind Uploading by 2045? | Live ... - August 8th, 2020
- Eye of the Temple Reminds You How Amazing Room-Scale VR Is, Demo Available Now - UploadVR - August 7th, 2020
- Teaching: Your Questions About Hybrid Teaching Answered - The Chronicle of Higher Education - August 7th, 2020
- New Font Styles on Instagram Stories: How to Find and Use the New Font Styles - Parade - August 7th, 2020
- 'Naming The Tree' | Circle Round 103 | Circle Round - WBUR - August 6th, 2020
- Green and Growing: Plant blindness, a mower, and one unfortunate afternoon - theday.com - August 6th, 2020
- Find the Original Source Image of your Favorite Movie - News Lagoon - August 6th, 2020
- Penn law and engineering students built these accessible tech projects for Philly nonprofits - Technical.ly - August 6th, 2020
- PewDiePie shares reason behind not wanting to take photos in public - Dexerto - August 4th, 2020
- Heres how to identify the cause of your slow internet speed - KTAR.com - August 4th, 2020
- Breaking News - Amazon Studios Orders Second Season of the Hit Thriller "Hunters" - The Futon Critic - August 4th, 2020
- Start the Year With a 'Primary Focus' on Relationship-Building - Education Week - August 4th, 2020
- The First Steps in Adding Ecommerce to a Brick-and-mortar Store - Practical Ecommerce - August 4th, 2020
- The digital divide worsens the inequitable impacts of the climate crisis - GreenBiz - August 4th, 2020
- Skypath Security, Inc. Announces the Integration of a multi-functional Panic Button Alert System into its World Class Mobile Defense Platform - PR Web - August 4th, 2020
- Wealth Tech Demystified Part 5: Fee And Billing Software - Barron's - July 31st, 2020
- AI tool developed to predict, monitor and test health and safety of workforce - HR News - July 31st, 2020
- Tim Burton Had 'The Rock' In Mind For 2005 Willy Wonka Adaptation - 97.3FM - July 31st, 2020
- The complete guide to advertising on YouTube - Media Update - July 31st, 2020
- Thanks to COVID-19 cash, faster internet is coming for parts of rural Mississippi - Clarion Ledger - July 31st, 2020
- The Ultimate Ranking of The Muppets - E! Online - July 31st, 2020
- FYJC admissions: CAP committee issues instructions to ensure students face no hiccups while filling forms online - The Indian Express - July 31st, 2020
- Watauga County Schools To Open School Year With 9 Weeks Of Remote Learning - Go Blue Ridge - July 31st, 2020
- Singapore third in Asia-Pacific for mobile network experience ahead of 5G rollout: Study - The Straits Times - July 31st, 2020
- What is alt text in WordPress? How to add image descriptions on your web page to improve accessibility and website ranking - Business Insider... - July 31st, 2020