The COVID-19 pandemic has affected every aspect of our lives, from how we spend our time, to how we run our business, to how we take care of daily tasks.
With most of Canadas population either social distancing, self-isolating, or quarantined, taking care of tasks that typically require an in-person or offline element have become increasingly difficult or even impossible, and it has highlighted the need for legal and regulatory change in order to support more online processes, primarily digital signatures.
The government is also recognizing the need for digital signatures during COVID-19.
As the CEO of estate planning startup Willful, which helps Canadians create wills and Power of Attorney (POA) documents online, the limitations in our business have always had nothing to do with technology, and everything to do with the law.
In 2020, you can buy a home using a digital signature, but you still have to print and sign your will/POA for good reason, many would argue, since the purpose of witnesses to your will is to ensure an individual created those legal documents in sound mind without duress. Thats hard to do with Docusign since its easy to forge a signature which is the larger issue with any digital signature, whether its on a will, contract, or any other legal documents. How do you verify that a specific person is really signing a specific document online?
The United States (US) is ahead of Canada when it comes to adopting digital signatures on wills, as profiled in a New York Times article last fall. Nonprofit organization Uniform Law Commission drafted the Uniform Electronic Wills Act, which can act as a model for individual states to adopt. Several states including Nevada and Indiana already allow e-signatures, with more expected to follow suit in 2020.
Trust & Will, a partner of ours based out of San Diego, executed the first digital will in the US in Nevada in January 2019.
Digital signatures are important not just for wills; think of any document that needs to be notarized, including real estate transaction documents or auto insurance claims. Right now going in-person to a notary is difficult if not impossible.
The US allows digital notarization of wills and other documents through Notarize, a Washington, DC-based company that has a distributed team of notaries who notarize through a series of steps. Users upload or take a photo of the document that needs to be notarized, enter the last four digits of their social security number, answer five identity verification questions within two minutes, and submit a photo of their photo ID. After being verified, users connect with a notary via video and they finish the process by adding their signature and stamp.
The Law Society of Ontario issued guidance about virtual commissioning for the first time.
Notarizes CEO Patrick Kinsel said on Twitter that COVID-19 has led to an explosion in their business, with 30 percent growth per day. He said theyre hiring hundreds of notaries across the country to meet demand.
Canadian companies like Vaultie are tackling identity verification for digital signatures by using a verified photo tied to your government-issued photo ID. Vaultie launched in January, and CEO Meyer Mechanic said the service is used for everything from digital notarization to rental agreements to legal documents. Due to the spread of COVID-19, theyve seen an increase in demand, and the Law Society of Ontario issued guidance about virtual commissioning for the first time. The Law Society still advises that in-person is best practice, but its a step in the right direction.
Documents signed with Vaultie are tied to a verified selfie using compliance grade facial recognition and government identification testing. Anchored on a blockchain, documents are tamper-proof and instantly verifiable by any third party, Mechanic said in an email. Using this method we can provide a higher level of fraud prevention by linking a physical person (instead of their account) to a digital document.
The government is also recognizing the need for digital signatures during COVID-19. In the Economic Response Plan unveiled last week, the CRA announced it would be recognizing digital signatures as having met the signature requirements of the Income Tax Act, specifically on T183 or T183CORP. The CRA state that its a temporary measure due to COVID-19, but this may also lead to lasting change.
While COVID-19 will have a lot of negative lasting effects on our lives, one positive change it could inspire is the adoption by lawmakers and regulatory bodies of digital signatures. Whether its because we have to or because we want to, Canadians should have the ability to easily sign documents online.
Image source Unsplash. Photo by Kelly Sikkema
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2020
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | Fandom - May 26th, 2020
- Mind Uploading - May 26th, 2020
- What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet ... - May 26th, 2020
- Mind uploading - RationalWiki - May 26th, 2020
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2020
- The Singularity Is Near: Mind Uploading by 2045? | Live ... - May 26th, 2020
- The Office Creator Greg Daniels on Returning to the Funny TV Business With Space Force and Upload - Variety - May 26th, 2020
- Soona, The Virtual Photoshoot Company Youve Been Dreaming About - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- Forget Zombies: Its Humans That Make The Walking Dead VR Truly Memorable - UploadVR - May 26th, 2020
- OnePlus 8 Pro: 5 reasons to pick up this fully formed Android [Video] - 9to5Google - May 26th, 2020
- 'The 100': Who Did the Dark Commander Kill? - Heavy.com - May 26th, 2020
- "Rolling - 3,2,1: A take on the Australian Media Industry" - Kalkine Media - May 26th, 2020
- Will We Ever Be Able to Upload Our Brains? - ComputerShopper.com - May 15th, 2020
- AP test-takers report problems submitting online exams, fear they'll have to retake - NBC News - May 15th, 2020
- Instagram Officially Launches Option to Share Instagram Live Broadcasts to IGTV - Social Media Today - May 15th, 2020
- 15 TV shows and hidden gems that might be under your radar - from Netflix's Midnight Gospel to Amazon's Upload - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Broadband jargon buster - learn the internet lingo before you buy - TechRadar - May 15th, 2020
- You will be seeing a lot of Qualcomm SD768G 5G phones soon - GadgetGuy - May 15th, 2020
- Four things that may delay PF advance - Livemint - May 15th, 2020
- Covidsafe app: how Australias coronavirus contact tracing app works, what it does, downloads and problems - The Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- Our forthcoming shows will be dedicated to the memory of those who have lost their lives Aysha Rau, The Little Theatre, Chennai - Indulgexpress - May 15th, 2020
- How to tell how fast your internet speed is using a free and accurate speed test - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 15th, 2020
- Add Game Of Thrones & Westworld To Your Zoom Calls With HBO Backgrounds - Screen Rant - May 15th, 2020
- Aarogya Setu data only shared with government officials directly involved in COVID-19 interventions - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- Beat Ways To Learn PLC Programming With The Help Of PLC Training - NewsPatrolling - May 15th, 2020
- Upload Satirizes a Capitalist Heaven - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security: The New Frontier - Security Today - May 11th, 2020
- Covidsafe app: how to download Australias coronavirus contact tracing app, how it works, what it does and problems - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Why Entrepreneurs Should Choose Insights Over Instincts - The Advocate - May 10th, 2020
- 5 ways to replace stadium atmospheres as football goes behind closed doors - Paddy Power News - May 10th, 2020
- 'I Am Doing My Best' - Teaching Math During the School Closure Crisis - Education Week - May 10th, 2020
- View: The price of Covid freedom may be eternal spying - ETTelecom.com - May 10th, 2020
- How to rent a property during the circuit breaker: Tips for landlords - AsiaOne - May 10th, 2020
- Why Entrepreneurs Should Choose Insights Over Instincts - Entrepreneur - May 9th, 2020
- Free cloud storage: Which providers offer the most space - Android Authority - May 9th, 2020
- The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer - BBC News - May 3rd, 2020
- Enid High School seeing adjustment in wake of coronavirus - Enid News & Eagle - May 3rd, 2020
- Here's How Coronavirus Has Impacted Aussie Drug Habits & How Dealers Are Making It Work - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- 5 Traps That Will Kill Online Learning (and Strategies to Avoid Them) - EdSurge - May 3rd, 2020
- How to Be a Good Neighbor Now - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- From Hannah Gadsby's Douglas to The Great: what's new to streaming in Australia in May - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- That Blessed 'Parks And Rec' Reunion Just Aired So Here's A TL;DR Of Everything That Happened - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- Lockdown in Mind, UGC Committee Recommends Starting Admission Process from August 1 - News18 - May 3rd, 2020
- I Lost My Casual Job & It Ended Up Being The Best Thing That Ever Happened For My Career - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Amazing Tips to Get the Best out of TikTok Mobile App - Dignited - May 3rd, 2020
- Why Our Minds Can't Really Be Uploaded to Computers - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 26th, 2020
- How to edit the caption on a TikTok by reposting it - Business Insider - Business Insider - April 26th, 2020
- The best broadband deals in April 2020 - The Sun - April 26th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know About Your Smartphone's New COVID-19 Tracker - University of Virginia - April 26th, 2020
- The University of Utah library wants you! to share coronavirus history being made at your house - Salt Lake Tribune - April 26th, 2020
- Fear Over The Job Market Prompted Thousands Of People To Upload Their Rsums Online - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- This Is How You Actually Make Money on YouTube - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- New to Zoom? Here are tips and tricks to make you a pro user - FOX40 - March 31st, 2020
- Meet the artist whose upload is one of our 2020 favourites (so far) - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- How to Make a Bit of Extra Cash From Your Living Room - OZY - March 31st, 2020
- Shufti Pro donates free ID and biometric face verification to coronavirus frontline organizations - Biometric Update - March 31st, 2020
- 'The dancefloor is a religious experience': the unselfconscious retro joy of the home dance workout - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- Half-Life: Alyx Is The Highest Rated PC Game So Far In 2020, According to Metacritic - UploadVR - March 31st, 2020
- The consumers guide to internet speed - Flux Magazine - March 31st, 2020
- Modsy Interior Design Review - The Pros, Cons, and Cost of Modsy - GoodHousekeeping.com - March 31st, 2020
- Westworld: Who Is the Charlotte Hale Host? - Collider.com - March 31st, 2020
- Schools embrace remote learning to beat Covid-19 disruption - Small Business - March 31st, 2020
- Can you see someone's profile picture if they have blocked you on WhatsApp? Here's what you need to know - Times Now - March 31st, 2020
- How the FE sector is adapting to the coronavirus crisis - FE Week - March 31st, 2020
- Valve Talks Half-Life: Alyxs Big Ending: You Could Say The Team Is Issuing A Challenge - UploadVR - March 26th, 2020
- How fast does your internet need to be to survive quarantine life? - Mashable - March 26th, 2020
- How Long Do You Want to Live? This Technology Could Potentially Help People Live Forever - Interesting Engineering - March 26th, 2020
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Jean-Luc Picard may upload his mind to a synthesized being, bringing the show full circle - MEAWW - March 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus making you work from home? We tried these 6 free apps to break the monotony - YourStory - March 26th, 2020
- 2AM's Jo Kwon Talks About How Musicals With EXO's Xiumin, Yoon Ji Sung, And More Helped Him During Military Service + His Future Plans - soompi - March 26th, 2020
- Meet the GIF Makers Who Craft Art out of Pinpoint Gameplay - EGMNOW - March 26th, 2020
- The Best Ways to Virtually Stay in Touch During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Training.com.au - March 26th, 2020
- Why Networking is So Important in the Legal Industry - Legal Reader - March 26th, 2020
- Grammarly vs Ginger: Which Is the Best Grammar Checker - Guiding Tech - March 26th, 2020
- Which Malaysian Telco provides the best roaming experience in Singapore? - SoyaCincau.com - March 17th, 2020
- Five Features Your Next CRM Needs To Maximize Your Sales - Forbes - March 17th, 2020
- Here's an easy method to install the Google Play Store on your Huawei phone - comments - GSMArena.com - March 17th, 2020
- City of Cape Town will shut down these facilities due to coronavirus - The South African - March 17th, 2020
- Learning must continue - Daily Times - March 17th, 2020