High school students around the world began taking online Advanced Placement exams this week, but some say they've encountered problems submitting their responses and may have to retake the exams at a later date.
The AP exams measure how well a high school student comprehends college material and can help them earn college credit. They typically are taken in person.
The College Board announced earlier this year that because of the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 exams would be offered in an online, free-response format and only include topics covered by March. Students are able to take exams on any device and can either type their responses or write them by hand and upload photos.
Caleb Trunkle, a senior, in Charleston, South Carolina, had been studying all year for the AP Calculus AB exam but said trying to prepare at home without a teacher was pretty difficult.
However, Trunkle felt confident when he went to submit in his answers Tuesday afternoon. He said he followed the AP College Board requirements, and the answers seemed to go through but then was notified that his test hadnt been received.
Trunkle told NBC News that because his test didn't go through, his only option is to apply to retake the exam in June.
I was incredibly upset. Ive put so much into this course. Ive put so much into my high school career, Im trying to finish it out, this was my last week of testing. I have one more tomorrow. I did everything right, he said.
Students, parents and teachers have reported issues with exam submissions this week on social media.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
The College Board did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday night.
But on Monday said that the vast majority of test-takers had successfully submitted their exams.
Approximately 50,000 students took today's AP Physics C: Mechanics exam. 98% submitted their responses, while approximately 2% encountered issues attempting to submit their response, the College Board wrote on Facebook Monday, the first day of testing. Given the wide variety of devices, browsers, and versions students are using, we anticipated that a small percentage of students would encounter technical difficulties, and we have a makeup window in June so students have another opportunity to test.
Cole Wagner, 17, said he was unable to submit his AP Physics Mechanics exam Monday after he tried twice to copy and paste his answers from a Google Doc to the exam. He said the responses reformatted when he pasted them into the exam, meaning they did not correspond with the questions. Hes hoping to retake the test at a later date.
On Tuesday, Wagner, who is from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, said his computer froze while he took the AP Calculus AB exam. He was unable to submit his response for the first and second questions and later logged into the exam from his phone to upload a photo of his work for both questions into the second questions submission box, he said.
"For both tests, I had two separate issues but both were equally frustrating," he told NBC News.
"I saw a side of Cole I've never seen before," his father, Bret Wagner, said. "He almost lost his mind today, and he put a ton of effort in and this meant a lot to him," he said.
Late Tuesday, the College Board acknowledged that some students had reported troubles cutting and pasting responses for exams.
"While more than 99% of students successfully submitted their AP Exam responses today, some who didn't told us they had trouble cutting and pasting their responses," the organization wrote in a tweet. "We took a closer look and found that outdated browsers were a primary cause of these challenges."
Darren Kagey, a junior at Pickerington High School North in Pickerington, Ohio, took the same AP Calculus AB exam and said he had a similar issue. He said he was informed he would have to apply for a makeup test.
After the exam, Kagey said, he went online to see if others were reporting issues and saw a tweet from the College Board informing students they had to update their camera settings in order to upload photos of their work.
But, the tweet was posted just a few hours before the exam began, Kagey said.
I just think itd be so much simpler if they allowed students that had issues to resubmit the work they completed, he said.
Students complained of issues with other tests besides the Calculus AB and Physics exams.
Freshman Aryan Jadhav in Denmark, Georgia, was ready to submit his answers for the AP Human Geography exam but says the College Board software crashed just before his time was about to expire.
He said he had about 20 seconds left to paste in an answer but after he clicked submit, he was told his answer wasnt recorded.
I feel that its unfair that I have to retake the test again that I have been studying so hard for, because of an issue on their part," he said.
- Mind uploading - Wikipedia - June 30th, 2020
- Mind uploading | Transhumanism Wiki | Fandom - June 30th, 2020
- Mind Uploading - June 30th, 2020
- The Singularity Is Near: Mind Uploading by 2045? | Live ... - June 30th, 2020
- Tati Westbrook claims Shane Dawson offered to edit her 2019 video that set off a YouTube beauty war - Insider - INSIDER - June 30th, 2020
- Mind uploading in fiction - Wikipedia - June 30th, 2020
- Innovative device to remotely monitor student-athletes amid the pandemic - University of Miami - June 30th, 2020
- CamScanner banned in India: 5 alternative apps you can use - The Indian Express - June 30th, 2020
- How to get started with TikTok - The Verge - June 30th, 2020
- MTN has launched its 5G offering in South Africa here's what you need to know - Stuff Magazines - June 30th, 2020
- What happens if your mind lives for ever on the internet ... - May 26th, 2020
- Mind uploading - RationalWiki - May 26th, 2020
- The Office Creator Greg Daniels on Returning to the Funny TV Business With Space Force and Upload - Variety - May 26th, 2020
- Soona, The Virtual Photoshoot Company Youve Been Dreaming About - Forbes - May 26th, 2020
- Forget Zombies: Its Humans That Make The Walking Dead VR Truly Memorable - UploadVR - May 26th, 2020
- OnePlus 8 Pro: 5 reasons to pick up this fully formed Android [Video] - 9to5Google - May 26th, 2020
- 'The 100': Who Did the Dark Commander Kill? - Heavy.com - May 26th, 2020
- "Rolling - 3,2,1: A take on the Australian Media Industry" - Kalkine Media - May 26th, 2020
- Will We Ever Be Able to Upload Our Brains? - ComputerShopper.com - May 15th, 2020
- Instagram Officially Launches Option to Share Instagram Live Broadcasts to IGTV - Social Media Today - May 15th, 2020
- 15 TV shows and hidden gems that might be under your radar - from Netflix's Midnight Gospel to Amazon's Upload - Yahoo News - May 15th, 2020
- Broadband jargon buster - learn the internet lingo before you buy - TechRadar - May 15th, 2020
- You will be seeing a lot of Qualcomm SD768G 5G phones soon - GadgetGuy - May 15th, 2020
- Four things that may delay PF advance - Livemint - May 15th, 2020
- Covidsafe app: how Australias coronavirus contact tracing app works, what it does, downloads and problems - The Guardian - May 15th, 2020
- Our forthcoming shows will be dedicated to the memory of those who have lost their lives Aysha Rau, The Little Theatre, Chennai - Indulgexpress - May 15th, 2020
- How to tell how fast your internet speed is using a free and accurate speed test - Business Insider - Business Insider - May 15th, 2020
- Add Game Of Thrones & Westworld To Your Zoom Calls With HBO Backgrounds - Screen Rant - May 15th, 2020
- Aarogya Setu data only shared with government officials directly involved in COVID-19 interventions - Times Now - May 15th, 2020
- Beat Ways To Learn PLC Programming With The Help Of PLC Training - NewsPatrolling - May 15th, 2020
- Upload Satirizes a Capitalist Heaven - The Atlantic - May 11th, 2020
- Endpoint Security: The New Frontier - Security Today - May 11th, 2020
- Covidsafe app: how to download Australias coronavirus contact tracing app, how it works, what it does and problems - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Why Entrepreneurs Should Choose Insights Over Instincts - The Advocate - May 10th, 2020
- 5 ways to replace stadium atmospheres as football goes behind closed doors - Paddy Power News - May 10th, 2020
- 'I Am Doing My Best' - Teaching Math During the School Closure Crisis - Education Week - May 10th, 2020
- View: The price of Covid freedom may be eternal spying - ETTelecom.com - May 10th, 2020
- How to rent a property during the circuit breaker: Tips for landlords - AsiaOne - May 10th, 2020
- Why Entrepreneurs Should Choose Insights Over Instincts - Entrepreneur - May 9th, 2020
- Free cloud storage: Which providers offer the most space - Android Authority - May 9th, 2020
- The immortalist: Uploading the mind to a computer - BBC News - May 3rd, 2020
- Enid High School seeing adjustment in wake of coronavirus - Enid News & Eagle - May 3rd, 2020
- Here's How Coronavirus Has Impacted Aussie Drug Habits & How Dealers Are Making It Work - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- 5 Traps That Will Kill Online Learning (and Strategies to Avoid Them) - EdSurge - May 3rd, 2020
- How to Be a Good Neighbor Now - The New York Times - May 3rd, 2020
- From Hannah Gadsby's Douglas to The Great: what's new to streaming in Australia in May - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- That Blessed 'Parks And Rec' Reunion Just Aired So Here's A TL;DR Of Everything That Happened - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- Lockdown in Mind, UGC Committee Recommends Starting Admission Process from August 1 - News18 - May 3rd, 2020
- I Lost My Casual Job & It Ended Up Being The Best Thing That Ever Happened For My Career - Pedestrian TV - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Amazing Tips to Get the Best out of TikTok Mobile App - Dignited - May 3rd, 2020
- Why Our Minds Can't Really Be Uploaded to Computers - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - April 26th, 2020
- How to edit the caption on a TikTok by reposting it - Business Insider - Business Insider - April 26th, 2020
- The best broadband deals in April 2020 - The Sun - April 26th, 2020
- Everything You Need to Know About Your Smartphone's New COVID-19 Tracker - University of Virginia - April 26th, 2020
- The University of Utah library wants you! to share coronavirus history being made at your house - Salt Lake Tribune - April 26th, 2020
- Fear Over The Job Market Prompted Thousands Of People To Upload Their Rsums Online - Forbes - March 31st, 2020
- This Is How You Actually Make Money on YouTube - Yahoo Finance - March 31st, 2020
- New to Zoom? Here are tips and tricks to make you a pro user - FOX40 - March 31st, 2020
- Meet the artist whose upload is one of our 2020 favourites (so far) - ABC News - March 31st, 2020
- How to Make a Bit of Extra Cash From Your Living Room - OZY - March 31st, 2020
- Shufti Pro donates free ID and biometric face verification to coronavirus frontline organizations - Biometric Update - March 31st, 2020
- 'The dancefloor is a religious experience': the unselfconscious retro joy of the home dance workout - The Guardian - March 31st, 2020
- Half-Life: Alyx Is The Highest Rated PC Game So Far In 2020, According to Metacritic - UploadVR - March 31st, 2020
- The consumers guide to internet speed - Flux Magazine - March 31st, 2020
- Modsy Interior Design Review - The Pros, Cons, and Cost of Modsy - GoodHousekeeping.com - March 31st, 2020
- Westworld: Who Is the Charlotte Hale Host? - Collider.com - March 31st, 2020
- Schools embrace remote learning to beat Covid-19 disruption - Small Business - March 31st, 2020
- Can you see someone's profile picture if they have blocked you on WhatsApp? Here's what you need to know - Times Now - March 31st, 2020
- How the FE sector is adapting to the coronavirus crisis - FE Week - March 31st, 2020
- Valve Talks Half-Life: Alyxs Big Ending: You Could Say The Team Is Issuing A Challenge - UploadVR - March 26th, 2020
- How fast does your internet need to be to survive quarantine life? - Mashable - March 26th, 2020
- How Long Do You Want to Live? This Technology Could Potentially Help People Live Forever - Interesting Engineering - March 26th, 2020
- 'Star Trek: Picard': Jean-Luc Picard may upload his mind to a synthesized being, bringing the show full circle - MEAWW - March 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus making you work from home? We tried these 6 free apps to break the monotony - YourStory - March 26th, 2020
- 2AM's Jo Kwon Talks About How Musicals With EXO's Xiumin, Yoon Ji Sung, And More Helped Him During Military Service + His Future Plans - soompi - March 26th, 2020
- Meet the GIF Makers Who Craft Art out of Pinpoint Gameplay - EGMNOW - March 26th, 2020
- The Best Ways to Virtually Stay in Touch During the COVID-19 Pandemic - Training.com.au - March 26th, 2020
- Why Networking is So Important in the Legal Industry - Legal Reader - March 26th, 2020
- Grammarly vs Ginger: Which Is the Best Grammar Checker - Guiding Tech - March 26th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is highlighting the need for Canada to embrace digital signatures - BetaKit - March 26th, 2020