Now this is a reason to celebrate!
A mother and daughter are making history, becoming the first to graduate from medical school at the same time and match at the same hospital, UMHS reports.
Dr. Cynthia Kudji and her daughter, Dr. Jasmine Kudji attendedmedical school at the same time, miles apart from one another. Cynthia attendedthe University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS) St. Kitts and Maine and Jasmine attended Louisiana State University School of Medicine. After years apart, bothmother and daughter have matched at LSU, the first to do so, with Cynthia pursuing Family Medicine and Jasmine studying General Surgery.
The Ghana native said she always wanted to be a doctor, but after becoming pregnant with her daughter Jasmine at 23-years old, she put her dreams on hold. She workedas an RN and Nurse Practitioner for almost 10 years before deciding to apply to medical school at UMHS. A trip back home inspired her to pursue her dreams again after all those years.
My mom wanted us to have a family trip back to Ghana and there was an incident where we were in the village and somebody just walked up to us and said that their child had a fever and was sick and wanted my mom and I to help. We put the child in water, trying to get the temperature down...and I just remember being so frustrated that the mom had to come to a complete stranger to get access to health care. The only thing I knew that could change that situation was to be a physician, Cynthia said.
Her daughter Jasmine, simultaneously began med school at LSU. The two said the road hasnt been easy but they are glad to have finally completed a major part of their journey.
So, the only thing that makes it difficult as far as older students is if you havent been in school for a while, it takes some getting used to the volume of material. [Also,] you still have the responsibilities of an older individual, of a mom or a dad... So even though I was in medical school, I was still Jasmines mom. I still had to be there as mom regardless of whether I was in medical school or not, Cynthia shared.
Thanks to technology, the two were able to remain close andconnected.
I think initially it was difficult because my mom and I have always been really close so I had to get used to the distance, we had to learn how to FaceTime and Skype each other, so we were Skyping each other every day and whenever I had struggles and she had struggles, we just had to learn to communicate from a distance, said Jasmine.
Both mom and daughter are excited to finally be back together and look forward to continue leaning on each other as they enter this next phase of their careers.
I always tell people we laugh together, we study together, we cry together. I think medical school is one of those experiences that you dont truly understand until youre in it. Sometimes people struggle to find someone who relates to their struggles, so for that person to be my mom was extremely helpful, said Jasmine Kudji.
This is mom-daughter goals! Congratulations ladies!
Photo Courtesy of Dr. Cynthia Kudji
- More than Meets the Eye - Harvard Medical School - July 13th, 2020
- Medical Students Should Be Taught How to Care for Immigrant Patients - Scientific American - July 13th, 2020
- UND continues to lead the nation in American Indian physicians - The Dickinson Press - July 13th, 2020
- Fort Worth M.D. School faculty member wins award for excellence in teaching and innovation - fortworthbusiness.com - July 13th, 2020
- Are medical students with equal access to the medical profession? - The European Sting - July 13th, 2020
- Reflections on COVID-19: The Impact on MS-III's | Blogs | Campbell University - Campbell University News - July 13th, 2020
- Expert: Mandate Masks, Speed Up Test Results In AZ - KJZZ - July 13th, 2020
- Michael Longaker won a national title at Michigan State, then dove into the world of medicine - MLive.com - July 13th, 2020
- Thinking about fellowship? Ask yourself these 5 questions - American Medical Association - July 13th, 2020
- KCS says they're well prepared for Gov. Cooper's announcement on school re-openings, now they just need official guidance - Independent Tribune - July 13th, 2020
- And then it happened - UMN News - July 13th, 2020
- Medical experts weigh in on whether or not to send kids back to school in the fall - FOX 4 Dallas - July 13th, 2020
- Podcast: Wildlife surveillance may help identify the next pandemic - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - July 13th, 2020
- Dr. Richard Isaacs: Video-first doctor visits are here to stay - ModernHealthcare.com - July 13th, 2020
- What to Expect in Medical School - AAMC for Students ... - July 13th, 2020
- Student writes that military metaphors could cause more harm when talking about COVID-19 - The South End - July 12th, 2020
- Doctors in the House: History of Medical Interns and Residents at Michigan Medicine - Michigan Medicine - July 12th, 2020
- I couldnt do anything: The virus and an ER doctors suicide - Boston.com - July 12th, 2020
- Deborah Heart and Lung Center partners with Thomas Jefferson University - GoErie.com - July 12th, 2020
- Medical group cited by Trump denounces school funding threat - Sumter Item - July 12th, 2020
- Inside the walls of St. Agnes Hospital: History of segregated health care in Raleigh - WRAL.com - July 12th, 2020
- UND continues to lead the nation in American Indian physicians - Grand Forks Herald - July 12th, 2020
- An 80-year-old doctor and longevity expert shares his 5 habits for a longer life: 'It's never too late to start' - CNBC - July 12th, 2020
- Business Observer for the week of July 12 - The Fayetteville Observer - July 12th, 2020
- I Couldnt Do Anything: The Virus and an E.R. Doctors Suicide - The New York Times - July 11th, 2020
- Class of 2020 Outcomes: Emily Hahn Navigates to Nursing - High Point University - July 11th, 2020
- USC to Allow International Students to Take Free In-Person Class to Keep Visa - California Globe - July 11th, 2020
- Expert warns the US is approaching 'one of the most unstable times in the history of our country' - CNN - July 11th, 2020
- List of medical schools in the United States - Wikipedia - July 11th, 2020
- LaShyra Nolen is pushing for change within Harvard Medical School. Heres what she wants you to know. - Boston.com - July 11th, 2020
- How much can you save by staying in-state for medical school? - American Medical Association - July 5th, 2020
- All UC Schools of Medicine to interview applicants virtually - University of California - July 5th, 2020
- I Went Through Medical School For A Career I Loved And Put It To The Back Burner For My Kids - Yahoo Lifestyle - July 5th, 2020
- Let COVID spark a new drive to expand medical education - ModernHealthcare.com - July 5th, 2020
- Applying to residency? The Residency Explorer tool can help - AAMC - July 5th, 2020
- Here's Why Defunding the Police Can Change Medical Care for the Better - Pager Publications, Inc. - July 5th, 2020
- How Well Trained Is the Class of COVID-19? - Medscape - July 5th, 2020
- How Houston med students are helping doctors through the pandemic - Houston Chronicle - July 5th, 2020
- Medical Schools Taken To Task Over Racism, Hazing And Other Abuse : Shots - Health News - NPR - June 22nd, 2020
- The pandemic has disrupted medical school admissions. I urge you to apply anyway - AAMC - June 22nd, 2020
- [Special] 'Korea will be short of doctors even with more medical school admissions' - Korea Biomedical Review - June 22nd, 2020
- School of Medicine and Health Sciences to form anti-racism coalition - GW Hatchet - June 22nd, 2020
- There's a pandemic and a physician shortage. In Michigan, more people are applying to med school - Lansing State Journal - June 22nd, 2020
- Medical school apologizes for 'I can't breathe' question on cardiovascular quiz: 'insensitive and upsetting' - The College Fix - June 22nd, 2020
- Med school final exam plagued with technical issues after moving online due to COVID-19 - CBC.ca - June 22nd, 2020
- Board of Governors recognizes two medical students with Warrior Unsung Hero Award - The South End - June 22nd, 2020
- Around Town: North Canton woman reaches her medical goal - Canton Repository - June 22nd, 2020
- Rowan University adopts test-optional admissions policy for 2021 - Rowan Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Medical school appoints new wellness lead to help doctors in training - The Sudbury Star - June 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Hopson left lasting legacy on Vicksburg and Warren County - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Family announces the death of beloved Dr. Hopson - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Thinking outside the box - UCI News - June 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus Coverage and the Silencing of Female Expertise - Undark Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- What to Know About Applying to Medical School as a Nontraditional - Michigan Medicine - June 21st, 2020
- Pride doesn't really belong in medicine - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - June 21st, 2020
- Stop Killing our Patients: Pandemic, Protest and the Outcry for Justice - Seton Hall University News & Events - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus deadly to those over 80, but many are surviving - PennLive - June 21st, 2020
- Meet PAISD's health science instructors, using decades of experience for new generation - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus Live News and Updates - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School - June 9th, 2020
- This mother-daughter duo fulfilled their goal of graduating med school together - The Week Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- Founding dean of WMU medical school set to retire - mlive.com - June 9th, 2020
- What to Expect in Medical School | The Princeton Review - June 9th, 2020
- Black mother-daughter duo start their medical careers together - TODAY - June 9th, 2020
- Dr. Mary Mason Talks Little Medical School on the 'Power Kid Podcast' - The Toy Book - June 9th, 2020
- Mother and daughter graduate medical school together and get matched at same hospital - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - June 9th, 2020
- The MCAT should be optional (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - June 9th, 2020
- Ballad Health to collaborate with Harvard Medical School and ETSU on rural health research - Therogersvillereview - June 9th, 2020
- Michigan Medicine Ranked No. 5 Hospital in the US, No. 15 in the world by Newsweek - University of Michigan Health System News - June 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Puts EMS Fellows to the Test at N.C. EOC - EMSWorld - June 9th, 2020
- Professors, Parenting Expert Share How to Talk to Children About Racism in Live Chat Wednesday - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 9th, 2020
- Local medical and nursing school graduates prepare to enter the front lines during the pandemic - Los Angeles Times - June 9th, 2020
- Providing health care to tribal communities in the face of COVID-19 - UMN News - June 9th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Health System Appoints Kristin Myers, MPH, as Executive Vice President, Chief Information Officer, and Dean for Information Technology -... - June 9th, 2020
- Din College researchers believe more reasons behind high Covid-19 Cases on Navajo - Navajo-Hopi Observer - June 9th, 2020
- Planning to go to Medical School? Join the Great Lakes Applicant Workshop - University of Wisconsin-Madison - May 24th, 2020
- Its the American dream: Law school and medical school grads visit their grandpa at La Crescenta nursing home in emotional reunion amid pandemic - KTLA... - May 24th, 2020
- Answering the Call: Med school grads plan to practice in the Valley - Brownsville Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Business Observer for the week of May 24 - Asheboro Courier Tribune - May 24th, 2020
- Grad Profile: Med School valedictorian reflects on L.A. filmmaking past and a new future in medicine - Dal News - May 24th, 2020