AUSTIN, Texas Fresh fruits and vegetables are something a lot of us take for granted.
"Food insecurity" is the term used when someone doesn't have reliable access to nutritious and affordable food. Nationwide, it's a growing concern.
To combat food insecurity, a group in Austin is looking to help bridge the gap, one box at a time.
Every Sunday, Chesley Measom and others deliver boxes as a part of Good Apple. Measom told KVUE she's been working with Good Apple since November 2019.
Good Apple is an Austin-based grocery delivery service with the purpose of giving produce that would otherwise go to waste and get it into people's homes.
"Hi, Zoe. I got your weekly Good Apple delivery," Measom said.
"Thank you so much," Zoe Mantarakis said.
"Need help getting it inside or anything?" Measom asked.
"I'll be fine, thanks, I really appreciate it," Mantarakis said.
But how do these boxes get into the hands of people like Mantarakis?
The team from Good Apple packs produce boxes every week at Johnson's Backyard Garden. Each pack contains items that otherwise would have gone in the compost pile for one reason or another.
"We are an Austin-based produce delivery company, on a mission to end food insecurity," said Zach Timmons, a Dell Medical Schoolstudent and the group's CEO and co-founder.
Timmons and others hand-pack and hand-deliver every box.
"So I think, I'm the CEO and co-founder of Good Apple, but I'm also a medical student and I think I take care of patients every day," Timmons said. "I have a complete third year to work on community projects, and so when I was forming the projects on that, food insecurity was something I was really passionate about working more on."
Subscribers can choose a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly schedule and the boxes are dropped on their doorstep.
Some of the boxes made go to the paying subscribers to the service. But othershave another destination.
"Using the profits from that paid service, as well as partnerships from other food pantries in the community, we're able to provide a free grocery delivery service to families facing food insecurity," Timmons said.
The majority of the people preparing the produce boxes are also Dell Medical students, like Timmons. Good Apple receives help from volunteers in the community, as well.
As for the free boxes, the company sends those to "impact clients."
"That could be family who doesn't have any access to food, but also a single mother with three kids working multiple jobs to make ends meet," Timmons added.
"You just never know anyone's story so it's important that help exists ... because people need it," Mantarakis said.
Mantarakis is a single mom with three kids, living on food stamps.
"But it's just not enough to feed the whole month," Mantarakis said. "Assistance is a really touchy subject. It's hard to be public about the assistance that you're receiving sometimes."
Good Apple allows Mantarakis to give her kids better meals with healthier options.
As for Timmons, the fresh food delivered might be just what the doctor ordered.
"As physicians and other health care providers, we're kinda uniquely positioned to identify these problems in our patients," Timmons said.
The "impact clients" are referred to Good Apple by local food pantries and a pediatricians office who screens their patients for food insecurity.
Good Apple's goal is to keep this business going even after they graduate from Dell Medical School.
WATCH:In Other News: A night with Austin's Dark Circle Sumo Club
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING:
List: Companies pulling out of SXSW 2020 amid coronavirus concerns
Austin health officials: Coronavirus test results pending, risk to public still low
Man ran off by manager returns to Austin restaurant, shoots customer, police say
It's a girl! Baby born at a gas station on Tuesday, Austin medics say
Go here to read the rest:
- Medical Schools Taken To Task Over Racism, Hazing And Other Abuse : Shots - Health News - NPR - June 22nd, 2020
- The pandemic has disrupted medical school admissions. I urge you to apply anyway - AAMC - June 22nd, 2020
- [Special] 'Korea will be short of doctors even with more medical school admissions' - Korea Biomedical Review - June 22nd, 2020
- School of Medicine and Health Sciences to form anti-racism coalition - GW Hatchet - June 22nd, 2020
- There's a pandemic and a physician shortage. In Michigan, more people are applying to med school - Lansing State Journal - June 22nd, 2020
- Medical school apologizes for 'I can't breathe' question on cardiovascular quiz: 'insensitive and upsetting' - The College Fix - June 22nd, 2020
- Med school final exam plagued with technical issues after moving online due to COVID-19 - CBC.ca - June 22nd, 2020
- Board of Governors recognizes two medical students with Warrior Unsung Hero Award - The South End - June 22nd, 2020
- Around Town: North Canton woman reaches her medical goal - Canton Repository - June 22nd, 2020
- Rowan University adopts test-optional admissions policy for 2021 - Rowan Today - June 22nd, 2020
- Medical school appoints new wellness lead to help doctors in training - The Sudbury Star - June 22nd, 2020
- Dr. Hopson left lasting legacy on Vicksburg and Warren County - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Family announces the death of beloved Dr. Hopson - The Vicksburg Post - Vicksburg Post - June 22nd, 2020
- Thinking outside the box - UCI News - June 22nd, 2020
- Coronavirus Coverage and the Silencing of Female Expertise - Undark Magazine - June 22nd, 2020
- What to Know About Applying to Medical School as a Nontraditional - Michigan Medicine - June 21st, 2020
- Med School Teaches Corporations How to Get Workers to Pay for the Privilege of Working - MedPage Today - June 21st, 2020
- Pride doesn't really belong in medicine - News from southeastern Connecticut - theday.com - June 21st, 2020
- Stop Killing our Patients: Pandemic, Protest and the Outcry for Justice - Seton Hall University News & Events - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus deadly to those over 80, but many are surviving - PennLive - June 21st, 2020
- Meet PAISD's health science instructors, using decades of experience for new generation - Port Arthur News - The Port Arthur News - June 21st, 2020
- Coronavirus Live News and Updates - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School - June 9th, 2020
- List of medical schools in the United States - Wikipedia - June 9th, 2020
- This mother-daughter duo fulfilled their goal of graduating med school together - The Week Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- Founding dean of WMU medical school set to retire - mlive.com - June 9th, 2020
- What to Expect in Medical School | The Princeton Review - June 9th, 2020
- Black mother-daughter duo start their medical careers together - TODAY - June 9th, 2020
- Dr. Mary Mason Talks Little Medical School on the 'Power Kid Podcast' - The Toy Book - June 9th, 2020
- Mother and daughter graduate medical school together and get matched at same hospital - FOX 13 Tampa Bay - June 9th, 2020
- The MCAT should be optional (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - June 9th, 2020
- Ballad Health to collaborate with Harvard Medical School and ETSU on rural health research - Therogersvillereview - June 9th, 2020
- Michigan Medicine Ranked No. 5 Hospital in the US, No. 15 in the world by Newsweek - University of Michigan Health System News - June 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Puts EMS Fellows to the Test at N.C. EOC - EMSWorld - June 9th, 2020
- Professors, Parenting Expert Share How to Talk to Children About Racism in Live Chat Wednesday - NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - June 9th, 2020
- Local medical and nursing school graduates prepare to enter the front lines during the pandemic - Los Angeles Times - June 9th, 2020
- Providing health care to tribal communities in the face of COVID-19 - UMN News - June 9th, 2020
- Mount Sinai Health System Appoints Kristin Myers, MPH, as Executive Vice President, Chief Information Officer, and Dean for Information Technology -... - June 9th, 2020
- Din College researchers believe more reasons behind high Covid-19 Cases on Navajo - Navajo-Hopi Observer - June 9th, 2020
- Planning to go to Medical School? Join the Great Lakes Applicant Workshop - University of Wisconsin-Madison - May 24th, 2020
- Mother-Daughter Duo Become First To Graduate From Medical School At The Same Time And Match At The Same Hospital - Because of Them We Can - May 24th, 2020
- Its the American dream: Law school and medical school grads visit their grandpa at La Crescenta nursing home in emotional reunion amid pandemic - KTLA... - May 24th, 2020
- Answering the Call: Med school grads plan to practice in the Valley - Brownsville Herald - May 24th, 2020
- Business Observer for the week of May 24 - Asheboro Courier Tribune - May 24th, 2020
- Grad Profile: Med School valedictorian reflects on L.A. filmmaking past and a new future in medicine - Dal News - May 24th, 2020
- Chicago family holds backyard graduation for their medical student daughter and her friend - FOX 32 Chicago - May 24th, 2020
- What Do Trump And Yale Medical School Have In Common? Both Were Duped About A COVID-19 Treatment - Forbes - May 19th, 2020
- From Medical School To Fighting COVID-19 On The Front Lines At Bellevue Hospital - NPR - May 19th, 2020
- Hartselle grad follows dream from pitcher's mound to medical school - The Hartselle Enquirer - Hartselle Enquirer - May 19th, 2020
- Medicine in Motion - Harvard Medical School - May 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 is in our sewage. Duluth medical school researchers say that could be useful - Duluth News Tribune - May 19th, 2020
- COVID-19 means a shorter MCAT: What aspiring med students must know - American Medical Association - May 19th, 2020
- UT Health Austin and Dell Medical School looking for volunteers interested in helping with COVID-19 contact tracing - KVUE.com - May 19th, 2020
- Doctors In Training Learn Hard Lessons During The Pandemic - NPR - May 19th, 2020
- Harvard Medical School Professor Burton 'Bud' Rose, the 'Steve Jobs of Medicine,' Dies at 77 | News - Harvard Crimson - May 19th, 2020
- Ode to Burton 'Bud' Rose, MD - Renal and Urology News - May 19th, 2020
- Wisconsin medical students are graduating onto the front lines of coronavirus - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - May 19th, 2020
- Using the power of peer support to positively impact medicine - American Medical Association - May 19th, 2020
- Global study to test malaria drug to protect health workers from COVID-19 - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - May 19th, 2020
- Sarah Peyre named dean of Warner School - University of Rochester - May 19th, 2020
- TTUHSC named most affordable medical school in the country - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - April 26th, 2020
- Shortened MCAT exams, extended AMCAS deadlines: How the pandemic has upended medical school admissions - AAMC - April 26th, 2020
- Rowan University's two medical schools will offer early graduation to aid fight against coronavirus - Rowan Today - April 26th, 2020
- Inside the Jefferson medical archives, where the most popular item is 1840's 'Anatomy of the Breast' - Billy Penn - April 26th, 2020
- Early LSU Health grad to serve locally on front lines of COVID-19 - Shreveport Times - April 26th, 2020
- How COVID-19 is affecting medical school admissions - American Medical Association - April 11th, 2020
- OUWB on the frontline: Medical school students, alumni, and faculty battle COVID-19 - News at OU - April 11th, 2020
- After early graduation, Vestal native and new doctor is off to fight on COVID-19 front lines - Pressconnects - April 11th, 2020
- Fighting COVID-19: Enabling Graduating Students to Start Internship Early at Their Own Medical School - Annals of Internal Medicine - April 11th, 2020
- Governor Lamonts executive order permits recent medical school grads to begin practicing during pandemic, implements new workplace safety rules -... - April 11th, 2020
- After early graduation, med student joins the battle - Eagle-Tribune - April 11th, 2020
- Grace: Creighton med students can't be in the hospital, but they're still finding ways to help - Omaha World-Herald - April 11th, 2020
- I'm the head of a medical school. But doctors like me are going back to the frontline - The Guardian - March 20th, 2020
- Thousands of medical students are being fast-tracked into doctors to help fight the coronavirus - CNN - March 20th, 2020
- Medical Training Must Include Education in Abortion Care. Here's Where to Start. - Ms. Magazine - March 20th, 2020
- Expert advice and tips from Warwick Medical School on how to look after our wellbeing and mental health during the coronavirus pandemic - Warwick... - March 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Hospitals on Both Sides of the Atlantic Struggle as Cases Climb - The New York Times - March 20th, 2020
- As COVID-19 battle escalates, U of T students offer busy health-care workers help on the home front - News@UofT - March 20th, 2020
- Chloroquine May Fight Covid-19and Silicon Valleys Into It - WIRED - March 20th, 2020
- Stopping Contagion With Science at UM: A Look Back - University of Michigan Health System News - March 20th, 2020