Photo by Mitchell Atencio | The State Press
"University officials credit the success to their transdisciplinary approach to major problems, claiming a different path of solutions than traditional research." Illustration published on Tuesday, Feb. 9, 2021.
ASU has ranked 6th in the nation for research expenditures among universities without a medical school in the 2019 fiscal year.
The National Science Foundation recently released its annual Higher Education Research and Development rankings for research expenditures among universities nationwide.
In the 2019 fiscal year, ASU's expenditures totaled $639.6 million, almost $22 million more than the previous year.
A University press release said much of the funding has come from investments by federal agencies including NASA and the NSF as well as local grants and philanthropic contributions among others.
ASUs Knowledge Enterprise Executive Vice President Sally Morton said in the press release that ASU researchers are capable of solving major problems through their transdisciplinary approach. Morton began her new role Feb. 1 and is one of the successors of former lead Sethuraman Panchanathan, who is now the director of the NSF.
"I am confident we have the capabilities to discover impactful solutions to pandemics, climate change, cybersecurity and emerging health issues all of which will challenge humankind well into the future," Morton said in the release.
ASU's Biodesign Institute has also been at the forefront of COVID-19 research and testing in Arizona. The University has established over 100 testing sites across the state and developed a saliva-based test for faster results and more efficient testing.
COVID-19 research at the institute is led by Biodesign Director Joshua LaBaer. LaBaer said in the release that fast and easy testing is crucial for returning to in-person activities.
As we return to the workplace, schools and other daily activities, testing early and often is going to be the best way to help us prevent the spread of COVID-19, LaBaer said in the press release.
Another of the University's recent focal points is the Mastcam-Z. The camera system will provide visuals for Perseverance, the newest Mars rover, upon its landing this month.
The development of Mastcam-Z was led by researchers of the School of Earth and Space Exploration. The rover launched in July 2020 and will touch down on Mars later this month with Mastcam-Z at its head.
READ MORE: Mars 2020 Perseverance rover launches equipped with ASU-developed camera
The HERD rankings account for where and how much funding is spent at each university. In these rankings, ASU kept its No. 1 spot in expenditures for anthropology and rose to No. 1 in the fields of geographic and earth sciences as well as transdisciplinary sciences.
ASU also ranked fourth in social sciences and business management, 11th in psychology, 12th in electrical, electronic and communications engineering, and 14th in civil engineering.
The University also placed third among universities with NASA funding, 10th in health and human services funding, and 23rd for NSF funding.
Reach the reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow @G_Mira_ on Twitter.
Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.
Continue supporting student journalism and donate to The State Press today.
- How medical students aid each other in the quest for well-being - American Medical Association - August 5th, 2022
- This 13-Year-Old is Headed to Medical School. Mama I Made it. Best Life - Best Life - August 5th, 2022
- WSU College of Medicine to Expand Conditional Acceptance Program to Enroll More Native Students - Centralia Chronicle - August 5th, 2022
- The growing division within the house of medicine - Medical Economics - August 5th, 2022
- Alumni Association honors medical student with Howard A. Donnelly Award for outstanding leadership and service - Wayne State University - August 5th, 2022
- Joshua Brandon Crane, a Navy veteran and UC Davis medical student, dies after saving others in the American River - KCRA Sacramento - August 5th, 2022
- Managing staff during the Great Resignation: Focus on stayers, not leavers - Medical Economics - August 5th, 2022
- Put Down the Phone, Catch Better Zzzzs with Michael Grandner - University of Arizona - August 5th, 2022
- Impact of the covid-19 pandemic on medical school applicants - The BMJ - July 8th, 2022
- 'I want to leave my mark on the world': 13-year-old girl gets accepted into medical school - 12news.com KPNX - July 8th, 2022
- The Arkadelphian : Henderson to partner with NY medical school, two-year campuses - Magnoliareporter - July 8th, 2022
- Autographs of Moonlight Graham of 'Field of Dreams' fame are discovered at Baltimore medical school he attended - The Killeen Daily Herald - July 8th, 2022
- Gerry Escovitz, retired vice dean and professor at the Medical College of Pennsylvania and charter school board member, has died at 85 - The... - July 8th, 2022
- 'It's incredibly far-reaching': medical students on the Roe reversal - The Guardian US - July 8th, 2022
- Passion for rural healthcare earns med student national honors | University of Hawaii System News - University of Hawaii - July 8th, 2022
- To spur diversity in sports medicine, NFL teams will host med students from HBCUs - WFYI - July 8th, 2022
- Bowdoin College Expands Need-Blind Admissions Policy to Include International Students - Bowdoin College - July 8th, 2022
- Bills address the physician workforce shortage, especially on the neighbor islands | University of Hawaii System News - University of Hawaii - July 8th, 2022
- What doctors wish patients knew about the impact of caffeine - American Medical Association - July 8th, 2022
- Inhaled nitric oxide reduces hospital stay and improves oxygenation in pregnant patients with COVID-19 pneumonia - EurekAlert - July 8th, 2022
- Wall to direct pediatric and adolescent orthopedics Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington University School of Medicine... - July 8th, 2022
- With Step 1 Changes, Earlier Planning is Key from a New Medical School in-Training, the online peer-reviewed publication for medical students - Pager... - January 25th, 2022
- People seeking asylum in the United States have little access to health care. Medical schools are working to change that. - AAMC - January 25th, 2022
- The Importance of Access | Harvard Medical School - Harvard Medical School - January 25th, 2022
- Yale medical students rally for abortion rights on 49th anniversary of Roe v. Wade - Yale Daily News - January 25th, 2022
- Office of Medical Education Welcomes Two Staff Leaders | Newsroom - UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine - January 25th, 2022
- 17th Symposium on COVID-19: What Have We Learned? How Can We Use What We Have Learned? - Touro College News - January 25th, 2022
- New study finds staff assumptions about race play a role in the variability of care of nursing homes residents with advanced dementia - EurekAlert - January 25th, 2022
- During 'Food as Medicine' intersession, UB students develop skills to help motivate patients to make healthier lifestyle choices - UB Now: News and... - January 25th, 2022
- Medical students collaborate to offer accessible primary care to southeast Ohioans - Ohio University - January 25th, 2022
- Paul Farmer to be awarded 2022 Inamori Ethics Prize by Inamori International Center for Ethics and Excellence - Newswise - January 25th, 2022
- Where is the outrage ... from everyone? The story behind this Temple trauma surgeons tweet. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - January 25th, 2022
- ENT and Allergy Associates, LLP and Cooperman Barnabas Medical Center (CBMC) Join Forces to Form a Clinical Affiliation in New Jersey - Yahoo Finance - January 25th, 2022
- BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccine associated with increased risk of carditis - EurekAlert - January 25th, 2022
- Opinion | Why the Medical Establishment Shied Away From Abortion - The New York Times - January 25th, 2022
- Stretching studios: Do you need what they offer? - Harvard Health - January 25th, 2022
- Dartmouth to Admit International Students Without Considering Ability to Pay - VOA Learning English - January 25th, 2022
- At-home COVID-19 tests could be a passport to normalcy. But they can also give us false confidence. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - January 25th, 2022
- Pakistan proud of pig-to-human heart transplant pioneer - FRANCE 24 - January 25th, 2022
- UMass Medical School CIO Greg Wolf receives CIO of the Year award - UMass Medical School - July 1st, 2021
- Life changing moments during Match Week at the University of Massachusetts Medical School - WCVB Boston - July 1st, 2021
- Birding Their Way to the Clinic | Harvard Medical School - Harvard Medical School - July 1st, 2021
- TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine Reaches Another Milestone by Receiving Provisional Accreditation - TCU - July 1st, 2021
- AIIMS races ahead of Oxford, Cambridge in rankings for best medical schools in the world - India TV News - July 1st, 2021
- Summer School Is Here - The New York Times - July 1st, 2021
- How future physicians can make their medical research stand out - American Medical Association - July 1st, 2021
- 'I no longer think there's any chance he's alive': UC alum missing after Florida condo collapse - WCPO - July 1st, 2021
- Reflecting on LGBTQ mental health discrimination in NC - North Carolina Health News - July 1st, 2021
- Radiology ranks tops among specialties with physicians worth more than $5M - Health Imaging - July 1st, 2021
- Baxter Announces $1.2 Million in New Scholarships and Grant Funding to Support Students Pursuing Health and Sciences at Historically Black Colleges... - July 1st, 2021
- Medical Education Market Giants Spending Is Going To Boom | Harvard Medical School, Zimmer Biomet Institute, Medical Training College The Manomet... - July 1st, 2021
- David Cochran receives grant from Eagles Foundation to study biomarker-driven drug treatment for autism - UMass Medical School - July 1st, 2021
- Tokyo medical school won't pay staff over virus leave caused by 'inappropriate behavior' - The Mainichi - The Mainichi - February 10th, 2021
- U Of M Medical School Sees Increase In Student Applications - FOX 21 Online - February 10th, 2021
- Accreditation process of medical school in Tyler moves forward; first class likely set for 2023 - Tyler Morning Telegraph - February 10th, 2021
- Women now outnumber men in med school. And studies show thats good for patients. - Houston Chronicle - February 10th, 2021
- Medical school suspends study that would have tortured transgender people for science - LGBTQ Nation - February 10th, 2021
- Surge in African American medical school applicants drive to action by Covid - Yahoo News - February 10th, 2021
- [Full text] Is Asking Questions on Rounds a Teachable Skill?[Response to Letter] | AMEP - Dove Medical Press - February 10th, 2021
- Black doctors in white coats on a mission to cure racism and discrimination in the workplace - WCNC.com - February 10th, 2021
- UKZN sets the record straight on 'Operation Clever' probe into fraud at medical school - IOL - February 10th, 2021
- Giving health care heroes a voice on social media - American Medical Association - February 10th, 2021
- Study Reveals Anticoagulation Therapy in Intubated Covid-19 Patients Reduces Mortality | | SBU News - Stony Brook News - February 10th, 2021
- Half of Ontario's medical schools are now named after wealthy donors - The Conversation CA - December 17th, 2020
- Yes, It's Possible To Have a Baby In Medical School Here's How - Pager Publications, Inc. - December 17th, 2020
- California's medical school diversity "nowhere near where it needs to be" - State of Reform - State of Reform - December 17th, 2020
- Medical School Keeps Students on Track By Switching to Virtual and Back - The Roanoke Star - December 17th, 2020
- UT Health Austin and Dell Medical School among first facilities in Texas to receive COVID-19 vaccine - Community Impact Newspaper - December 17th, 2020
- Medical schools see spike in students inspired to apply by the pandemic - KBJR 6 - December 17th, 2020
- How to make the most of holiday time off as a medical student - American Medical Association - December 17th, 2020
- UT Austin's Dell Medical School Is The First Institution In Central Texas Receiving Shipment Of COVID-19 Vaccine - KUT - December 17th, 2020
- Degrees of Protection | Harvard Medical School - Harvard Medical School - December 17th, 2020
- The Pandemic Thrusts Telepsychiatry to the Fore | NYU Langone News - NYU Langone Health - December 17th, 2020
- Two-phase Infection | Harvard Medical School - Harvard Medical School - December 17th, 2020
- Texas A&M To Grow Medical Education In Round Rock, Surrounding Area - Texas A&M University Today - December 17th, 2020
- Pitt cardiologist sues school after backlash to his article on affirmative action - TribLIVE - December 17th, 2020
- At a Crossroads: Medicine and the Movement - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - December 17th, 2020
- Jameson's term extended as head of Penn Health System and Perelman School of Medicine - Penn Today - December 17th, 2020
- Touro University Nevada's College of Osteopathic Medicine Class of 2021 Achieves the Highest COMLEX Exam Pass Rate in the Country - PRNewswire - December 17th, 2020
- Hear what the experts from Houston Fights COVID have to say about a new vaccine - KTRK-TV - November 30th, 2020