Anthony Schramm graduated from Stony Brook University's medical school Wednesday in a Zoom call, along with 121 other graduates. Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin
AnthonySchramm celebrated his graduation from medical school Wednesday at his mother's house in Vestal.
Schramm's mother, Becky Schramm, and his sister, Stephanie Moochler, of Endicott, blew up balloons, shared his favorite meal chicken and dumplings and outside, members of their extended family drove by the house slowly, honking the car horn to congratulate him.
This was one of the last times they'd be together, and in light of the coronavirus spread, the moment had arrived months early.
On Friday, 26-year-old Schramm leaves for his first assignment: assisting physician at Stony Brook University Hospital onLong Island,on the front lines in the fight against COVID-19.
Anthony Schramm, of Vestal, graduated early from medical school and will spend the next 6-8 weeks at Stony Brook Hospital helping fight the coronavirus.(Photo: Photo provided)
"Im very happy to be going back to the hospital to help out," the 2012 Vestal High School graduate said Thursday. "Ive been feeling very useless just sitting at home during quarantine."
Schramm recited the Hippocratic Oath along with 121 other graduatesof Stony Brook University's Renaissance School of Medicine Wednesday, more than a month before their scheduled commencement, in a Zoom call telecast on Facebook.
In doing so, the school joined others across the United States who've pushed up graduation dates in light of the pandemic. Gov.Andrew Cuomo also passed an executive order allowingqualified medical studentsto graduate early in New York.
Coronavirus story time: Teacher, student take to Facebook to share stories live
Virtual 5K: Heart Walk, local running events keep families active while stuck at home
Schramm is scheduled to begin anesthesiology trainingat Columbia University Medical Center in New York City in July, but along with 48 fellow graduates, he's volunteered to report to Stony Brook Hospital first, and spend up to eight weeks helping fight the spread of the coronavirus.
Anthony Schramm, of Vestal, will start anesthesiology research at Columbia Medical in July.(Photo: Photo provided)
He says it was an easy decision to return to the hospitalwhere he's spent the last four years studying as a medical student.
For Moochler, it's hard not to be concerned, knowing how many more confirmed cases of COVID-19 there are in Suffolk County, where the hospital is located there have been about 17,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 compared to about 100 confirmed cases in Broome County.
"I just know that they need him, he will save lives and I know that was what he was meant to do in his life," Moochler said. "That's enough assurance for us to just know hes going to be OK."
Schramm's first shift is Sunday. He doesn't yet know what time his shift starts, or what unit he'll be on either emergency or intensive carebut he knows he's ready to help any way he can.
"I think it just kind of comes down to why I wanted to pursue medicine in the first place," he said. "Being a physician is such a privileged position where we get to treat people in the worst of times."
Follow Katie Sullivan Borrelli on Twitter @ByKatieBorrelli. Support our journalism and become a digital subscriber today. Click here for our special offers.
Here is the original post:
- A bill would spend $1 billion on diversifying medical schools to close the racial health gap - NBC News - August 10th, 2020
- Pandemic acts as dress rehearsal for new medical school curriculum - Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - August 10th, 2020
- The Unnamed Hero - Pager Publications, Inc. - August 10th, 2020
- Testing is the key to a successful fall reopening on campuses (opinion) - Inside Higher Ed - August 10th, 2020
- TUNE IN: Alexandria Addressing Back-to-School Worries in Virtual Town Hall - The Zebra - August 10th, 2020
- Community Healthcare honored during National Health Center Week - Times Record News - August 10th, 2020
- When Things Arent OK With a Childs Mental Health - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Making sure patients, physicians know about the advances in treating female cancers - Norton Healthcare - August 10th, 2020
- 'We Are Here to Help Them' | Harvard Medical School - Harvard Medical School - August 10th, 2020
- In the face of challenges posed by a pandemic and racism, the White Coat Ceremony underscores the importance of our shared humanity - AAMC - August 10th, 2020
- Physician Group Wants Medical Schools To Waive The MCAT This Year - Physicians News Digest - August 10th, 2020
- Born with 1 hand, she's an inspiration in virus fight - ABC News - August 10th, 2020
- What to Expect in Medical School - AAMC for Students ... - August 8th, 2020
- International med students ease the path for others with new mentor group - STAT - August 8th, 2020
- Texas schools reopening mandate sets off another local control debate - The Texas Tribune - August 8th, 2020
- Amid COVID-19 Pandemic, Morehouse School of Medicine Welcomes Its... - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - August 8th, 2020
- Guntersville native joins Andrews Sports med team | Free Share - Sand Mountain Reporter - August 8th, 2020
- COVID-19 changing study of medicine on Long Island - Newsday - August 8th, 2020
- Health Care Workers Of Color Nearly Twice As Likely As Whites To Get COVID-19 - WUSF News - August 8th, 2020
- Dancing Wildcats Enjoy Smoother Transition to the Field of Medicine - UKNow - August 8th, 2020
- Kindness is the best medicine - Argus Leader - August 8th, 2020
- Kindness is the best medicine | Coronavirus | rocketminer.com - Daily Rocket Miner - August 8th, 2020
- With academic health center, the imagined can be reality - Las Vegas Sun - August 8th, 2020
- Need to Take the MCAT? You'll Still Have to Do It in Person - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Why isn't ventilation part of the conversation on reopening schools? - STAT - August 8th, 2020
- A UT undergrad helped build the app that will assist students coming back to school this fall. Here's what it can do. - UT News | The University of... - August 8th, 2020
- Med School Professor Removed from Fellowship Director Post, Apparently for Publishing Anti-Affirmative-Action Journal Article - Reason - August 7th, 2020
- Good Shepherd celebrates one of it's first graduates on track to realize dream of becoming doctor - WDSU New Orleans - August 7th, 2020
- Change the course of the pandemic: UMass Medical School, Boston tech company at center of national push to - MassLive.com - August 7th, 2020
- Duality Health Begins Rapid Blockchain Innovation Cycle with Health Product Innovation Team at Dell Medical School - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- Deciding whether to send your child back to school? Heres what the experts say to consider - nj.com - August 7th, 2020
- Kaine introduces bill that would support medical schools in underserved areas - WDVM 25 - August 4th, 2020
- Medical school affiliates on lack of diversity, burden of the 'minority tax' - The Stanford Daily - August 4th, 2020
- International medical school graduates need an easier path to practice in the US | TheHill - The Hill - August 4th, 2020
- The 'dura mater' handles medical training and motherhood with aplomb - DePauw University - August 4th, 2020
- Emory University doctor and former teacher suggests staggered starts, plexiglass lunch barriers to avoid COVID-19 spread in schools - 11Alive.com WXIA - August 4th, 2020
- President Houshmand and CMSRU Dean Reboli named to South Jersey BIZ Power 50 list - Rowan Today - August 4th, 2020
- 'Its a good mix of medicine and social justice': Medical student gets experience at NATIVE Project during pandemic - The Spokesman-Review - August 4th, 2020
- Addressing inequalities in women's health research | Contemporary OB/GYN - Contemporary Obgyn - August 4th, 2020
- New medical residents experience a different kind of welcome into URMC - University of Rochester - August 4th, 2020
- 'Not surprising': International graduate students respond to short-lived ICE directive - The Stanford Daily - August 4th, 2020
- MASKED-COVID Study to Assess Renal-Related Complications of COVID-19 - DocWire News - August 4th, 2020
- Addressing inequalities in women's health research - Contemporary Obgyn - August 4th, 2020
- Seeing the Health Care Profession Through the Eyes of a Medical Scribe - Hamilton College News - August 4th, 2020
- University of Medicine and Health Sciences Launches State-of-the-Art Virtual Tour - PR Web - August 4th, 2020
- Researchers With Game - Ohio Wesleyan University - August 4th, 2020
- List of medical schools in the United States - Wikipedia - August 3rd, 2020
- Disc Medicine Expands Leadership Team with Industry Veterans to Advance Hepcidin Modulating Therapies Toward the Clinic - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2020
- Solomon Rajput '14 takes on Michigan incumbent for seat in Congress - The Dartmouth - August 3rd, 2020
- Fighting the Coronavirus, from New York to Utah - The New Yorker - August 3rd, 2020
- Boston doctor named hospital hero relied on human connection to get through COVID peak - Boston Herald - August 3rd, 2020
- Starkman: Beaumont Executive Paid $932000 by Hospital Vendor Whose Implants Were Pushed on Surgeons - Deadline Detroit - August 3rd, 2020
- Students need to be tested every 2-3 days for colleges to safely reopen - Yale News - August 3rd, 2020
- Taking Medicine and Tech to the Next Level: Ranney on New Brown-Lifespan Center for Digital Health - GoLocalProv - August 3rd, 2020
- Medical Schools Have Historically Been Wrong on Race - The New York Times - August 3rd, 2020
- After the Match: The Match in the Age of COVID-19 : Emergency Medicine News - LWW Journals - July 31st, 2020
- North Philly coronavirus risk: Temple University's return to campus is irresponsible - On top of Philly news - Billy Penn - July 31st, 2020
- Researchers Discover Stem Cells in Optic Nerve that Preserve Vision - Newswise - July 31st, 2020
- Pre-med students spend the summer studying COVID-19 - DePauw University - July 31st, 2020
- The Author of Blacks in Medicine on Race, Racism, and Health Outcomes - KCET - July 31st, 2020
- Five Questions With: Dr. Ben Abo on Snakes and Television - EMSWorld - July 31st, 2020
- We asked 20 medical experts whether they're sending their own kids back to school. Here's what they had to say - CNBC - July 31st, 2020
- NYU Long Island School of Medicine Is First School on Long Island to Start 202021 Term, May Be Microcosm of 'Hybrid' Class Model - NYU Langone Health - July 31st, 2020
- Medical education in the time of COVID-19 - Science Advances - July 31st, 2020
- Rutgers New Jersey Medical School - July 31st, 2020
- Discrimination in the medical curriculum: are medical schools providing students with equal access to the medical profession? - The European Sting - July 31st, 2020
- Marshall School of Medicine 1 of 9 schools to offer Mission Act scholarships to veterans - Huntington Herald Dispatch - July 30th, 2020
- Irish medical school students learning about Sarnia area - Sarnia and Lambton County This Week - July 30th, 2020
- Michigan Medicine named one of best 20 hospitals in U.S. News rankings - MLive.com - July 30th, 2020
- What Cuba Can Teach the U.S. About Confronting the COVID-19 Pandemic - southseattleemerald.com - July 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Injuries More Widespread Than We Knew - UConn Today - July 30th, 2020
- Want to be a doctor? A lawyer? COVID-19 cases are rising, but these high-stakes exams are in-person only - USA TODAY - July 29th, 2020
- Payne named associate dean for health information and data science Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington University... - July 29th, 2020
- Mind the Gap: A 20-Year-Old Black Medical Student Is Writing a Guide Illustrating How Common Medical Symptom - The Root - July 29th, 2020
- Elizabeth Williams Talks Healthcare With Her Series "E Talks With Docs" - Jul 28, 2020 - Sports Are From Venus - July 29th, 2020
- School of Medicine one of nine schools to offer Mission Act scholarships to veterans - HNN Huntingtonnews.net - July 29th, 2020
- News | From ESL to Medical School, RIC Grad Overcomes Obstacles in Pursuit of Her Dreams - Rhode Island College News - July 29th, 2020
- Med students make history in Clovis - The Business Journal - July 29th, 2020
- The Doctor Behind the Disputed Covid Data - The New York Times - July 29th, 2020
- Dr. Stella Immanuel: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Heavy.com - July 29th, 2020