The high seas in Devon and Cornwall
Put the wind back in your sails on a skippered sail around the topaz-coloured coast of Devon and Cornwall. Bessie Ellen and Agnes are two historic sailing vessels, the former a 100ft classic tall ship featured on the National Historic Ships Register sleeping 12, the latter a recreation of an original Isles of Scilly wooden pilot cutter, sleeping eight. Both are available skippered for family bubbles and will trace the south-west coastline from Fowey or Falmouth, stopping for swimming, hiking and history lessons.
From 130pp per night full-board, venturesailholidays.com
What could be more appealing than mooring a narrowboat for the night then sitting out to enjoy a Dark Sky Reserve? In the Brecon Beacons, you can cruise the tree-lined Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal by day, stopping at market towns such as Brecon, Abergavenny and Crickhowell and enjoy the stars by night amid the green hills of the National Park.
One weekfrom 1,405 for two, beaconparkboats.com
Onderneming is an 1899 Dutch sailing barge that stretches to almost 100ft on the River Alde in Snape, just outside Aldeburgh. She is permanently moored, offering a static boat holiday that requires no navigational skills and a tranquil base for country and coastal walks. The boat is also dog-friendly, with space for up to six guests in three bedrooms, a childrens den and free use of bikes.
Four nights from 968 with breakfast, woodfarmbarges.com
Board a narrowboat and ascend 146ft up Hatton Locks in just over two miles on the Grand Union Canal. From the Black Prince base at Napton, you can explore Shakespeare country or Warwick Castle, or just wait for quiet moments to spot ducks, swans, sparrows, wagtails, grass snakes and the occasional badger. Peel off the Grand Union Canal for the peaceful Ashby Canal or visit the Stoke Bruern Canal Village. The narrowboats sleep between two and eight and many are pet-friendly.
Four-nights from 1,259 for eight, black-prince.com
The Pennines are hallowed stomping ground, but it is possible to soak up their brooding grandeur from a narrowboat too. From Sowerby Bridge, drift along the Rochdale Canal through the Calder Valley and stop at Ted Hughess birthplace Mytholmroyd, as well as Hebden Bridge, with its independent shops and pubs and nearby waymarked trails. The system is steep, with plenty of locks, but that means plenty of interest too.
Four nights from 915 for four, waterwaysholidays.com
This is a classic boating holiday and one that requires no prior experience as you navigate the gentle, inland waters of the National Park. The shallow lakes dug for peat in medieval times now provide a haven for bird and wildlife including more than a quarter of the UKs rarest species, such as the swallowtail butterfly and Norfolk hawker dragonfly, as well as otters. Modern boats dominate, but there are also wooden vessels for experienced helmspeople, including a fleet of 30s engineless sailing craft in the village of Ludham. Hoist the sails and glide quietly through the water.
One week from 795 for two, huntersyard.co.uk
You will need a head for heights to navigate the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, designed by Thomas Telford and Williams Jessop almost 130ft above the River Dee in North Wales. This part of the Llangollen Canal is a Unesco World Heritage Site, as it is elevated through the Vale of Llangollen, and is the worlds highest canal aqueduct. It is easy to access from the Andersen Boats narrowboat base at Middlewich in Cheshire, from where you can pootle west to cross the border from England to Wales.
Three nights from 668 for two, andersenboats.com
The 60-mile Caledonian Canal, which cuts through the Great Glen from the east to the west coast via four lochs, is now open to boat transits again. Cruise west to Banavie for views of Ben Nevis, then turn around for the return journey through Loch Ness, which can be completed in a week. It is also possible to moor up and explore the Great Glen Way by bike or on foot.
One week from 1,615 for four, caleycruisers.com
Cruise the bigger of the two connected lakes that form Lough Erne in Co Fermanagh, exploring the many islands, coves and inlets on the tranquil water, including the island town of Enniskillen. Vestiges of history can be found on many islands, including relics from ancient Celts, Christian monks and Vikings. Get closer to the water on a canoe, hike the trails that pulse through the countryside, or go trout or salmon fishing nearby.
One week from 852 for four,hoseasons.co.uk
One of the most popular boating holidays in France is along this 17th-century World Heritage canal, which runs for 360km from Toulouse past the vineyards of the Languedoc to the flamingo-speckled tang de Thau right beside the Mediterranean sea. Glide through arboreal tunnels of plane trees and moor outside villages for a coffee and croissant or to stock up at markets, admiring the majesty of Carcasonnes mighty ramparts along the way.
One week from 1,589 for two, leboat.co.uk
Just east of the Canal du Midi lies the Camargue, a patchwork of saltwater lagoons where you might see its resident white horses and pink flamingos. Cruisers ply the Canal du Rhne Ste, which connects the tang de Thau lagoon with the Rhne river at Beaucaire. There are beaches, birdlife, wildlife and Roman history to explore in Arles and Nimes.
One week from 1,099pp, french-waterways.com
Big cruise liners have made unwelcome news in Venice in recent years, but it is possible to explore the lagoon on a much smaller scale. Setting off from the western end of the lagoon or the river Sile, you can commandeer small cruiser to explore the islands including Murano and the Lido as well as the beaches of Jesolo, then enjoy La Serenissima with the mass cruise crowds absent.
One week from 2,270 for four, cruiseinitaly.com
From Loosdrecht lake, the Netherlands emblematic canals and the River Vecht course north to Amsterdam and south to Gouda and Amsterdam in miniature Utrecht. There is a marina in the heart of Amsterdam, meaning you can moor and explore, and a cheese market in Woerden as well as several historic castles near Loosdrecht. Utrecht is a historic university city with an independent and creative spirit and plenty of canal-side restaurants and breweries.
One week from 1,474 (1,325) for five, locaboat.com
The land of 1,000 lakes adorns the north of Germany, the largest lakeland in Europe, which offers no shortage of opportunities for outdoor activity on a holiday afloat forest bike and hiking trails, fishing, history and heritage. Setting off from Lbz, an easterly route delivers Germanys northernmost vineyards, or head west to discover the fairytale Schwerin castle, former home of the dukes of Mecklenburg, on an island in the citys lake.
One week from 1,529 (1,375) for two, boat-renting-nicols.co.uk
See the original post here:
- Get To Know The Star of Nickelodeon's New Show 'Santiago of the Seas' Kevin Chacon! - Just Jared Jr. - October 10th, 2020
- The Need for a Network of Marine Protected Areas in the Southern Ocean - The Pew Charitable Trusts - October 10th, 2020
- Japan seeks to boost catch limits of prized bluefin tuna - Thehour.com - October 10th, 2020
- Graham Elders grand adventures led to the publication of a novella - SooToday - October 10th, 2020
- 10 Behind The Scenes Facts About Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Screen Rant - October 10th, 2020
- SECDEF Esper Calls for 500-Ship Fleet by 2045, With 3 SSNs a Year and Light Carriers Supplementing CVNs - USNI News - October 10th, 2020
- Avast! Boss Audio's new weatherproof touchscreen brings CarPlay and Android Auto to boats - The Verge - October 10th, 2020
- Changing dynamics in the SCS and increasing Chinese aggression - Modern Diplomacy - October 10th, 2020
- Africa: Continent Urged to Protect Sea Life - The Streetjournal - October 10th, 2020
- Kevin Chacon Talks Santiago Of The Seas Exclusive Interview - BSCkids - October 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Leaves Fisheries Observers in the Dark - The Maritime Executive - October 10th, 2020
- Most of My Friendships Were Toxic, But Now Im So Lonely! - The Cut - October 10th, 2020
- Xitler Isnt Going Down Like Hitler; To Stare Him Down, Trade Should Be The Worlds Weapon Of Choice - Swarajya - October 10th, 2020
- Kyndra Sanchez to star in Nickelodeon series Santiago of the Seas - Animation Xpress - October 10th, 2020
- Genting and Royal Caribbean to relaunch Singapore cruise operations - TradeWinds - October 10th, 2020
- Dog saved on the high seas - kdvr.com - September 4th, 2020
- Vault of the Ancients update brings dogs and treasures to Sea of Thieves - PC Invasion - September 4th, 2020
- Piracy in 2020: the trends you need to know - Lexology - September 4th, 2020
- 'We are closer to the other side of this crisis every day' Cruise boss confident of a return to sea - Telegraph.co.uk - September 4th, 2020
- How Chinas Massive Fishing Fleet Is Transforming the Worlds Oceans - Slate - September 4th, 2020
- Apps and after: Chinas growing naval muscle will have to be jointly countered - The Times of India Blog - September 4th, 2020
- The human impact of organized crime in fisheries extends far beyond the ocean - GreenBiz - September 4th, 2020
- The Italian Navy Arrives in World of Warships: Legends - War History Online - September 4th, 2020
- 42 Crew, Nearly 6000 Cows Missing After Ship Sinks In Storm-Tossed Seas Off Japan - NPR - September 4th, 2020
- Can the world unite to combat illegal fishing? - Equal Times - September 4th, 2020
- Ocean Infrastructure Has Basically Created Cities at Sea - Gizmodo - September 4th, 2020
- Urgent action needed for small-scale fishers to withstand the climate crisis says new WWF repor - WWF International - September 4th, 2020
- Reducing inequalities to save the planet - ScienceBlog.com - September 4th, 2020
- Is China Behind a Recent Insurgent Attack in India's Northeast? - The Diplomat - September 4th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas Season 4? Is There Any Possibility? - The Buzz Paper - August 10th, 2020
- GAME ON: Drift gently along the high seas with your 'Raft,' your pals and sharks - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas Season 3: Release Date, Cast, Plot, Trailer And All New Latest Information Here - World Top Trend - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar season 3 cast: Who is in the cast of High Seas? - Express - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Season 4 Expected Release Date, Cast Info and Every Other Detail - News Lagoon - August 10th, 2020
- Shark Week 2020: How The Pandemic Added To This Years Programming - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Oil Leak Stopped from Bulker as Mauritius Prepares for the Worst Case - The Maritime Executive - August 10th, 2020
- What series to watch this weekend on Netflix, HBO and Prime Video: The extraordinary Playlist of Zoey and the High Sea | Entertainment - Explica - August 10th, 2020
- Information sharing with regional partners aims to reel in transnational crime syndicates - Mirage News - August 10th, 2020
- African states are critical in advancing ocean governance - The Patriotic Vanguard - August 10th, 2020
- No end to South China Sea disputes without code of conduct - The Star Online - August 10th, 2020
- Tuesday's weather: Mainly fine and cool, but high seas in Western Cape and fire alerts elsewhere - News24 - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Season 4 : Will The Spanish Series Return For On Netflix? - Topbuzztrends.com - August 10th, 2020
- 'They just pull up everything!' Chinese fleet raises fears for Galpagos sea life - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - IMDb - August 10th, 2020
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - August 10th, 2020
- GAME ON: Drift gently along the high seas with your 'Raft,' your pals and sharks - NWAOnline - August 10th, 2020
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 10th, 2020
- Maintaining Command of the Sea: Maritime Doctrines of Pakistan and India - Modern Diplomacy - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar season 4 Netflix release date: Will there be another series of High Seas? - Express - August 7th, 2020
- To Protect Seabed, Countries Should Thoroughly Review Proposed Mining Projects - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 7th, 2020
- GTA Online is getting new missions, cars, and races next week - PCGamesN - August 7th, 2020
- Puerto Rico to Repair Pier 3 in San Juan - The Weekly Journal - August 7th, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in August - The New York Times - August 7th, 2020
- The US military has options against China | TheHill - The Hill - August 7th, 2020
- Muddying the Waters - Architecture - e-flux - E-Flux - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Review: A murder, a deadly virus and new players put Eva on guard but where is Nicolas? - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- Apple's Refreshed 27-Inch iMac Looks to Be a Powerhouse and the End of an Era - Gizmodo UK - August 7th, 2020
- Here's Everything New Coming To Netflix This Week, August 6 - BuzzFeed - August 7th, 2020
- Where are Tropical Weather Forecasts Made? - The Maritime Executive - August 7th, 2020
- Whats new on Netflix in August 2020 all the shows and movies coming soon - RadioTimes - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Preview: Eva and Carolina need to solve the new mystery before it's too late - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3: Meet Ivana Baquero, Jon Kortajarena and rest of the cast of the Netflix series - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- All Aboard! Target Has Ghostly Pirate Ship Cat Scratchers and, Yep, There's a Poop Deck - POPSUGAR - August 6th, 2020
- Windbound Preview - The Most Relaxing Survival Game You'll Play This Year - Twinfinite - August 6th, 2020
- Mahlon Reye Boats on Deadliest Catch: What Boat Was Mahlon Reye On? - The Cinemaholic - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Friday brings rain, storms, repeat of last week, also watching Iasias - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Never Make It in Hollywood, Expert Claims - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Men are rescued after leaving a message on an island - Explica - August 6th, 2020
- Everything Coming To Netflix This Week: August 1st August 9th - Grit Daily - August 3rd, 2020
- Wet pattern continues as two weather systems bring rain to over 25 states - WGRZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Rare, million-dollar copies of a letter written by Christopher Columbus replaced with fakes - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 3rd, 2020
- 7 New Netflix Shows in August 2020, and the Best Reasons to Watch - IndieWire - August 3rd, 2020
- Transformers Join the Battle in World of Warships Game Announced - Tformers.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Great white shark that pinged off Atlantic City, Ocean City leaves South Jersey - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it needs to be done - The Japan Times - August 3rd, 2020