Looking to choose the right food for sailing? Toby Hodges and Rupert Holmes highlight and review a variety of easy meals, snacks and supplements for the galley locker
While we know the top professional sailors, Olympians and Americas Cup grinders are lean, mean machines who inhale protein shakes to fuel their elite exercise routines, there is also a growing appetite from us mere recreational sailors to take nutrition more seriously when we consider the best food for sailing.
And while a liveaboard lifestyle of growing your own salads and herbs and living off fresh fish may be the dream, the reality for most is that were sailing for short periods and convenience food often comes first.
Volvo Ocean Race sailors tuck in to some much needed freeze dried food. Photo: Matt Knighton
Food for sailing typically still consists of meal deal affairs, comprising sandwiches, sugary drinks and chocolate bars, but replacing the sandwich for a nutrient and calorie rich meal could pay, and certainly opting for snacks and drinks based on natural ingredients rather than sugary foods which cause spikes and slumps in energy.
There are also a growing number of natural products becoming available in easily digestible forms to help with sports recovery, which could prove useful to keep in the galley lockers. Turmeric for example has been linked with aches and pain relief and ginger can help alleviate seasickness.
Perhaps the most well-known brand of freeze-dried and vacuum-pack meals is Expedition Foods. This UK brand, favoured by sailors, rowers, mountaineers and adventurers, has a big range of dried and wet food, ration packs, gels, and snacks, with good information about calorie intake and three different calorie versions of each meal.
Will Hodshon and Richard Mitchell relied on Expedition pouches as their main source of food for sailing during their record breaking sail around Britain in a Wayfarer open dinghy in 2019. Having ingested two 1,000 calorie meals a day for their 15 day voyage, Hodshon says these ready meals were often a highlight of their day.
Rich being a veggie, crossed his fingers for the mac and cheese, but I thought it was hard to beat the spag bol for a bit of home comfort on the high seas, he tells me.
Buy Expedition Foods Spaghetti Bolognese from Amazon (UK)
Buy Expedition Foods Macaroni and Cheese from Amazon (UK)
This French firm is a giant in the industry and supplied a number of Vendee Globe skippers, including Louis Burton and Jean Le Cam, as well as Dutch Golden Globe Race competitor Mark Slats.
The premise is to produce meals that are as close to restaurant quality as possible. Portions are vacuum-sealed in aluminium pouches and can be boiled in their bags or heated in a conventional oven.
The cuisse de canard confite (confit duck leg) is super tender and juicy if plated up with veg and potatoes youd never guess it had come out of a sachet with a 3-year shelf life at room temperature.
On the downside this option falls short of being a complete meal in a bag and needs to be accompanied by carbohydrate and veg. Its one of a range of 20 different recipes in which classic French meat dishes figure heavily.
Buy confit duck leg from Le Bon Bag
Available in pouch form to which you add boiling water, or, as we tried, as a ready to go meal with self-heater supplied with the pack. The heater bags just need a little water (50ml) to activate them, and can then heat the meal (or a soup or hot drink) in 12 minutes, with no fuel or fire needed.
The food pouches are ready meals, so no need to rehydrate them. This means the texture and taste is a lot closer to a freshly made meal than dried food, yet they still have a three-year shelf life.
The chicken Madras is tasty and spicy, with proper chunks of meat and texture. I was puzzled by the zero trace claim on what looks like landfill packaging, but Forestia says all its packaging is 100% recyclable.
Buy Fiorestia Chicken Madras from Amazon (UK)
Adventurers started this Dorset company in 2017 after they couldnt find tasty natural portable food. Founder John Fisher wanted a preservative-free alternative to the freeze-dried meals he was used to relying on when trekking and insisted on using locally sourced fresh ingredients with no additives or flavourings.
The complete one-pot meals are hand-cooked and then dehydrated as opposed to the common method which mixes ingredients after they have been freeze-dried.
I have tried a couple of these, back when the company was fairly new and was impressed with the taste particularly the chilli and risotto meals. Perhaps there is a psychological element at play, knowing youre eating properly sourced and prepared food, but it certainly helps it taste a cut above any other dehydrated food.
Firepot has now extended the range of foods offered and developed a range of eco-packaged meals, which use bio-sourced compostable bags. These obviously need to be heated in a pan not a bag and have a reduced shelf life (one year as opposed to the three of its yellow plastic waterproof pouches), but present a great eco-alternative for those seeking environmentally friendly food for sailing.
Buy Firepot Chilli at Amazon (UK)
Ive found that vegetarian freeze dried meals can have a more realistic texture than those with meat and Summits vegetable chipolote chilli with rice is no exception. Indeed there were few signs that it was freeze dried, though I allowed it to absorb moisture for longer than the stated period.
A recommendation from Tony White, veteran of many double-handed Rolex Fastnet races, as well as the AZAB and Round Britain and Ireland, is to empty the contents of a freeze-dried pack into a wide-neck Thermos jar, then leave the meal to soak up water for at least 30 minutes (three times the usual recommended period).
As well as the palatable texture, this chilli tastes good as well, especially if you like spicy food, though my first choice would still be a wet meal.
Buy Summits Vegetable Chilli with Rice from Amazon (UK)
Part of the Katadyn group, which includes Katadyn and Spectra watermakers, these German made products cater for all meals, snacks and rations.
TreknEat has partnered with the Global Challenge Race 2023 to provide skippers with reduced cost meal options. These freeze-dried products are quick and easy to make. The Chicken in Curried Rice smells and looks like it tastes not great. Stodgy and unnecessarily sweet.
However, while these are not an everyday option for a cruising sailor, their five year shelf life makes them a handy alternative to have in the locker to warm you up and give you the protein and energy needed on a cold day at sea.
They average 600 calories per pouch. Breakfasts and desserts are also available, including muesli and mousse.
Buy TreknEat Chicken in Curried Rice from Amazon (UK)
Described as the ultimate super-fruit, this African fruit is one of the most nutrient dense foods, which is rich in calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamin C.
The smoothies are created by blending wild harvested baobab with high-quality organic ingredients to provide a pouch that aids slow energy release, digestive health and strength.
These vegan friendly products are less concentrated than most energy smoothies so are easier on the stomach. Taste wise, if youre not used to energy gels it does feel like youre ingesting pureed baby food and its a tad acidic.
But I like that this Westcountry-based firm is bringing out prototype recyclable propylene pouches this summer and its founder Chris Martin tells me it is part of an initiative to produce a compostable pouch from seaweed in Falmouth bay which will take 18 months.
Buy Tribal Baobab Smoothies from Amazon (UK)
Yachting World is the worlds leading magazine for bluewater cruisers and offshore sailors. Every month we have inspirational adventures and practical features to help you realise your sailing dreams.
- Sailing the High Seas with Dejeros Cloud-Based Production Tools - TV Technology - October 9th, 2021
- Input wanted on changes to high seas fishing rules - The Bay's News First - SunLive - October 9th, 2021
- 9 crew of Indian vessel stranded on high seas rescued - The Statesman - October 9th, 2021
- Coast Guard rescues 9 crew members of mechanised vessal stranded in high seas - News Today - October 9th, 2021
- In Mumbai rave party bust, NCB carries out first-ever drugs search on cruise liner in high seas - Deccan Herald - October 9th, 2021
- Easy Halloween costume ideas for the continued collapse of society - Tampa Bay Times - October 9th, 2021
- What We Do In The Shadows Recap: The Siren - The Workprint - October 9th, 2021
- Trinidad and Tobago chaos over who actually owns the House of Football - Inside World Football - October 9th, 2021
- Deep seabed mining is risky. If something goes wrong, who will pay for it? - Mongabay.com - October 9th, 2021
- Students win new UH awards to protect oceans | University of Hawaii System News - UH System Current News - October 9th, 2021
- Seabed Mining: The Coast Guard's Deep Future - CIMSEC - October 9th, 2021
- SBI launches NAV-eCash Card. Check features and benefits here - Mint - October 9th, 2021
- Navigating Miocene Ocean Temperatures for Insights into the Future - Eos - October 9th, 2021
- Planning a Cruise? Here's What You Need to Know - NBC San Diego - October 9th, 2021
- National Grid in talks over plan for energy island in North Sea - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- A drone survives a sail into a major hurricane and "lives" to show the video - KTVZ - October 9th, 2021
- Listen closely: How sound could help improve the way we manage fisheries and conservation - Dal News - October 9th, 2021
- To solve space traffic woes, look to the high seas - MIT Technology Review - August 24th, 2021
- Who Is Going to Map the High Seas? - Hydro International - August 24th, 2021
- War on the High Seas - The Maritime Executive - August 24th, 2021
- Almost there: One more month until calmer seas, better weather - spacecityweather.com - August 24th, 2021
- Meet Rex, a Regal 417-Foot Expedition Yacht Concept With an Underwater Lounge and Helicopter Parking - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 24th, 2021
- Our first vacation fish, and other standout moments of summer 2021 | Pamelas Food Service Diary - SILive.com - August 24th, 2021
- HAWAII Hawaii County Weather Forecast for August 22, 2021 BIG ISLAND NOW - Big Island Now - August 24th, 2021
- NOAA Just Named 31 Nations That Engage in Illegal or Unregulated Fishing. Here's Why That's a Step in the Right Direction. - Earthjustice - August 24th, 2021
- Henri likely to bring rough seas to the south, possibly heavy rainfall in northern Delaware - delawarebusinessnow.com - August 24th, 2021
- Gather Round Mateys, These Arrrrre The Best Pirate Movies To Watch Right Now - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 24th, 2021
- You have what you voted for - Santa Barbara News-Press - August 24th, 2021
- Annette and a truly weird summer at the movies - Vox.com - August 24th, 2021
- As Henri Nears US Coast, Threat to Long Island Increases - East Hampton Star - August 24th, 2021
- Indias Highway Construction Is in the Fast Lane - Fair Observer - August 24th, 2021
- The Fiji Times Skipper's legacy A lover of the sea - Fiji Times - August 24th, 2021
- Chubut imposes strict measures on shrimp landings to protect the fishery - MercoPress - August 24th, 2021
- Jellyfish Found in Greece are the Least Dangerous of All - Greek Reporter - August 24th, 2021
- Indian Ocean: The maritime links of India-Malaysia - Hindustan Times - August 24th, 2021
- Shark Experts Agree, These Are The 5 Best Dive Sites In The World - Forbes - August 24th, 2021
- North Vancouver RCMP remind boaters of rules on the water during education blitz - North Shore News - August 24th, 2021
- Salinity Measurements of the Adriatic Sea Record an Unprecedented Increase - Total Croatia News - August 24th, 2021
- China and the Agreement to Prevent Unregulated High Seas Fisheries in the Central Arctic Ocean - The Diplomat - June 10th, 2021
- Africa must protect the high seas before its too late - Mail and Guardian - June 10th, 2021
- Bringing the High Seas Biodiversity Treaty Into Port - Council on Foreign Relations - June 10th, 2021
- SEACOR Power survivor begged God to 'calm the seas' after being swept overboard - WWLTV.com - June 10th, 2021
- Why the Ocean Needs the Illegal Fishing and Forced Labor Prevention Act - Earthjustice - June 10th, 2021
- Ambitious treaty offers a once in a lifetime chance to protect the high seas - Euronews - June 10th, 2021
- Two Members of the Jamaica Defence Force Are First-Ever Appointed to United States Coast Guard Academy - US Embassy in Jamaica - June 10th, 2021
- Oh. My. Gawd! A Friends-themed cruise is setting sail and heres what you need to know - Woman & Home - June 10th, 2021
- Why its time we woke up and listened to the ocean - The Citizen - June 10th, 2021
- Taking Lighthouse to the Top - The SandPaper - June 10th, 2021
- 1823: WHEN A FEW BAD APPLES SPOILED THE WRECKING TRADE - Florida Keys Weekly - June 10th, 2021
- On the International Day for the Fight Against Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated Fishing, Pew Advocates Discuss Their Work - The Pew Charitable... - June 10th, 2021
- These non-profits are determined to conserve the vast oceans of the Earth - YourStory - June 10th, 2021
- Beverly High graduates encouraged to enjoy the little things, do some deep introspection - Wicked Local - June 10th, 2021
- Didn't get enough of a 'Friends' fix from the reunion? How about a 'Friends'-themed cruise? - USA TODAY - June 10th, 2021
- Protecting the ocean from 5 big threats (photo gallery) | US Embassy & Consulates in Italy - US Embassy Rome - June 10th, 2021
- Tracking down mystery boats on the high seas - The Verge - February 20th, 2021
- This 262-Foot Superyacht Concept Comes With Its Own Stage for Concerts on the High Seas - Robb Report - February 20th, 2021
- Will NPFC Protect Pacific Saury by Cutting Fish Catch? China and Taiwan Might Disagree - JAPAN Forward - February 20th, 2021
- 2018 covert op that is embarrassing India - The Tribune India - February 20th, 2021
- Opinion: The other environmental treaties the US must confront - Ensia - February 20th, 2021
- China's New Coast Guard Law and Implications for Maritime Security in the East and South China Seas - Lawfare - February 20th, 2021
- AI can help reduce the risk of HIV in high-risk communities - Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences - February 20th, 2021
- 'Wicked Tuna' rivalry gives way to cooperation | Local News | newburyportnews.com - The Daily News of Newburyport - February 20th, 2021
- Croatia claims that BiH's Right to the High Seas Access has not been endangered - Sarajevo Times - February 20th, 2021
- This Sea Dragon Skyrim mod brings a dash of Sea of Thieves to Tamriel - PCGamesN - February 20th, 2021
- Sea Of Thieves: 10 Tips And Tricks To Know Before Playing - TheGamer - February 20th, 2021
- A TikToker Captured Australias Own Black Hawk Down Moment On The High Seas Of Sydney Harbour - Pedestrian TV - February 20th, 2021
- WCU professor emeritus explores the adventures of early women explorers in new book - Western Carolina University News - February 20th, 2021
- NEWPORT AREA WEATHER REPORT: Feb. 20-21 - newportri.com - February 20th, 2021
- The Staggering Decline of Oceanic Sharks and Rays The Revelator - The Revelator - February 20th, 2021
- The Future Of The Aircraft Carrier - CNBCAfrica.com - February 20th, 2021
- Hillicon Valley: Congress prepares to hold hearing on SolarWinds breach, Big Tech content moderation | Tensions rise between Capitol Hill and... - February 20th, 2021
- PES University will launch satellite to monitor ships - The New Indian Express - February 20th, 2021
- Sea of Thieves is now cross-platform compatible thanks to steam network. - Joplin Business Journal - February 20th, 2021
- What's the secret to BTS' Jimin's shoulder reveal? Seven highlights from V Live for 'BE Essential Edition' - MEAWW - February 20th, 2021
- Life and death on the Mediterranean Sea - Morning Star Online - February 20th, 2021
- This 262-Foot Superyacht Concept Comes With Its Own Stage for Concerts on the High Seas - Yahoo Lifestyle - February 17th, 2021
- Uppena movie review: Romance on the high seas - The Hindu - February 17th, 2021
- Amid rising seas, 'dry' resort is wetter than it likes - Minneapolis Star Tribune - February 17th, 2021
- Review: All the Tides of Fate by Adalyn Grace - The Nerd Daily - February 17th, 2021
- A Deep Dive Into the Sea Shanty Craze, And Why Chicago Was Ahead of the TikTok Trend - WTTW News - February 17th, 2021