As the old saying goes, he contains multitudes.
It would be easy to take a side on the issue of Jordan Peterson. Certainly at this point most everyone has. The controversial Canadian professor, author, free speech activist and public speaker has developed a massive international reputation over the past three years since he initially spoke out against the Canadian Bill C16, which threatened to make anti-transgender speech illegal.
In leftist circles, Peterson has been branded a transphobe and a clown. But hes developed a bad reputation in the fringe corners of the right where hes been written off as everything from a globalist, socialist, a mentally ill sociopath projecting his insecurities onto a generation of young men, a cult leader, an atheist spreading misinformation about Christianity, a Jewish stooge and, according to one unnamed far right forest creature, a wizard.
Certainly hes not without criticism. Still its hard to deny his work hasnt been a boon to western civilization. By all rights, Petersons ideas are a wart on the face of modern life, evidence that the modern progressive status quo isnt sustainable. Any world where Dr. Jordan Peterson can rise to fame with basic truism and life advice isnt in a good place.
Thus is the central contradiction explored in the new documentary The Rise of Jordan Peterson. The film, from first time director Patricia Marcoccia, follows the life behind the scenes of Dr. Peterson from 2016s free speech protests until the moment his star rose and he began his international book tour for 12 Rules for Life.
While overall a mostly positive exploration of Dr. Petersons celebrity, the movie does offer a somewhat nuanced opinion on the professor. The movie is mostly about him, his internal life and thoughts and the reaction the world has had to his rise but it doesnt shy away from some harsh points against him.
We meet friends of Dr. Peterson including supporters like Jonathan Pageau but we also get comprehensive interviews with critics of his both in and outside of his immediate circle. Most notable of these includes an extensive interview with one of the leaders of the transgender/non-binary protesters from the 2016 protests who is concerned his fame has created an atmosphere of open hostility towards government policies that protect trans people.
The only real problem with this is that it focuses the entire narrative around Peterson in a way that mostly marginalizes his critics. The movie does a good job giving his critics a chance to plainly speak their minds but the movies attention is so focused on him that it makes those critiques feel trivial at times. Still the portrait it paints isnt designed to worship him.
Overall we see Dr. Peterson is a delicate, conflicted man whose ideas have been thrust onto the stage of history. Hes a man dealing with having been declared a savior. This realization sparks fears of both wanting to reject that title and egotistically feeling the need to embrace it.
Maybe the most interesting contradiction it captures is the way he expresses himself at home. Hes the kind of man who fears totalitarianism more than anything yet lines his home with Soviet Realist paintings to contemplate them.
As the old saying goes, he contains multitudes.
Its clear from the footage just how much celebrity has affected him physiologically. In his earliest interviews he talks extremely stiffly with an air of fear. Three years on you can tell that the effects of his fame have been quite prominent. Hes lost a lot of weight; likely from stress.
While its not addressed in the documentary, Dr. Peterson recently checked himself into rehab as a result of an addiction to clonazepam which he was prescribed after discovering his wife was gravely ill. I can only wish the best for him as hes dealing with such horrific, serious personal and family problems.
The best takeaway from The Rise of Jordan Peterson one can take is that more than anything, hes just a person. Hes not the savior of western civilization. Hes not a messiah figure. Hes also not some malicious globalist figure attempting to control the minds of the youth. Hes a man whos unique psychology, position, intelligence and willingness to put his freedom on the line thrust him into prominence.
See the original post:
- For The First Time, Scientists Find a Way to Make Targeted Edits to Mitochondrial DNA - ScienceAlert - July 11th, 2020
- Engineering a far-red lightactivated split-Cas9 system for remote-controlled genome editing of internal organs and tumors - Science Advances - July 11th, 2020
- This Company Wants to Rewrite the Future of Genetic DiseaseWithout Crispr Gene Editing - WIRED - July 11th, 2020
- Brain Benefits of Exercise Can Be Gained with a Single Protein - UCSF News Services - July 11th, 2020
- Ziopharm Oncology Announces Initiation of Phase 1 Trial Evaluating Rapid Personalized Manufacturing CAR-T Technology in Patients with Relapsed CD19+... - July 11th, 2020
- Genetic Engineering Market to Reflect Impressive Expansion by Integrated DNA Technologies, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck KGaA, Horizon Discovery... - July 11th, 2020
- Molecular Probes Market 2020 Global Industry Analysis, Opportunities, Major Applications and Forecast to 2027 - Cole of Duty - July 11th, 2020
- Nema To Draft Biosafety Regulations And Guidelines - New Vision - July 11th, 2020
- PM Imran orders distribution of wheat from government warehouses - The Express Tribune - July 11th, 2020
- LA's 'Wet Markets' Could Be On The Chopping Block - LAist - July 11th, 2020
- Yeast Market Trend, CAGR Status, Growth, Analysis and Forecast to 2028 - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Chitosan Coating of TiO2 Nanotube Arrays for Improved Metformin Releas | IJN - Dove Medical Press - June 21st, 2020
- Ginkgo Bioworks CEO on scaling up Covid-19 testing: 'If we try, we can win' - CNBC - June 21st, 2020
- CRISPR And CRISPR-Associated (Cas) Genes Market Size, Key Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players, Economic Impact and Forecast... - June 21st, 2020
- RIP David Perlman, the Dean of American Science Writing - Scientific American - June 21st, 2020
- Molecular Scissors Technology Market: Technological Advancement & Growth Analysis with Forecast to 2025 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Globally Leading Manufacturers of CRISPR Genome Editing product Scale up Production to Meet Sharp Spike in Demand Fueled by COVID-78 - Personal Injury... - June 21st, 2020
- Global Computational Breeding Market (2020-2027) With Top Growing Companies & COVID-19 Impact Analysis - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- DNA Shows Plants Are Extraordinary Chemists Making Love and War - SciTechDaily - June 21st, 2020
- Expert Insight: Discover the genetic dependencies of antibiotic function - SelectScience - June 9th, 2020
- Genetically modified mosquitoes could be released in Florida and Texas beginning this summer silver bullet or jumping the gun? - The Conversation US - June 9th, 2020
- USDA revised regulations of GMO and gene edited plants. Here's what it means. - Genetic Literacy Project - June 9th, 2020
- How a rare bird and the coronavirus remind us that our safety depends on sciencenot wishful thinking - Genetic Literacy Project - June 9th, 2020
- Genetically Modified Mosquitoes Could be Released in Florida and Texas This Summer - The Daily Beast - June 9th, 2020
- Novavax President of R&D Dr. Gregory Glenn to Discuss the Development of COVID-19 Vaccines on Panel at 2020 BIO Digital - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2020
- Does China Have A Coronavirus Vaccine? Expert Says One Could Be Available Within Months - International Business Times - June 9th, 2020
- Swarm of MILLIONS of gene-hacked mosquitoes will be unleashed across USA to wipe out malaria with death sex - The Sun - June 9th, 2020
- MIT Engineers Developed an Interesting Method to Extend the Shelf Life of Foods - Somag News - June 9th, 2020
- Optogenetic market 2020: Future Analysis and know what to expect from this Industry along with analysis Global Trends, Industry Growth, Top Company... - June 9th, 2020
- Eight Research Projects Receive Funding from Manning Fund for COVID-19 Research - University of Virginia - June 9th, 2020
- The 'Guardian' of Honest Journalism? Hardly. - American Council on Science and Health - May 15th, 2020
- New CRISPR method edits crops without technically making them GMOs - New Atlas - May 15th, 2020
- A Deep Look Into the Guts Hormones - Technology Networks - May 15th, 2020
- Animal Genetics Market Latest Trends and Future Growth of Industry Analysis Report to 2028 - BioSpace - May 15th, 2020
- The Cell Therapy Industry to 2028: Global Market & Technology Analysis, Company Profiles of 309 Players (170 Involved in Stem Cells) -... - May 15th, 2020
- Could Colorado Hop Terpenes Be the Latest in Brewing Innovation? - porchdrinking.com - May 15th, 2020
- European Patent Office gives green light to prohibit patents on plants and animals - EUbusiness - May 15th, 2020
- GAO report Highlights Barriers in Getting Cell Based Meat to Market - vegconomist - the vegan business magazine - May 15th, 2020
- How CRISPR can help us win the fight against the pandemic - MedCity News - May 15th, 2020
- Why Ethiopia needs to embrace gene-modification technology - ethiopiaobserver.com - May 15th, 2020
- Here`s what China`s scientists have to say about the origin of COVID-19 - WION - May 15th, 2020
- New Papers Explore the Utility of Active Information - Discovery Institute - May 15th, 2020
- Science is dead, long live 'Frankenstein science' - stopthefud - May 15th, 2020
- Cuban interferon proven effective against COVID-19 Cuba Granma - Official voice of the PCC - Granma English - May 15th, 2020
- Biologic Therapeutics Market Dynamics, Segments, Size and Demand, 2017 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- Biohacking Market Current Scenario with International Forecast Trends to 2025 | Apple Inc,Behavioral Tech,Fitbit, Inc.,HVMN Inc,InteraXon Inc.,Modern... - May 15th, 2020
- Disease is the greatest threat to bee health. Can we protect them through genetically engineered probiotics? - Genetic Literacy Project - April 9th, 2020
- CSL Behring and SAB Biotherapeutics Join Forces to Deliver New Potential COVID-19 Therapeutic - P&T Community - April 9th, 2020
- CAR T-Cell Therapy for Multiple Myeloma - Global Market Insights and Market Forecast to 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Yahoo Finance - April 9th, 2020
- Tension Builds Over Drug To Treat COVID-19 - caribbeannationalweekly.com - April 9th, 2020
- One in four Britons 'think the coronavirus was probably created in a lab' - Yahoo Sports - April 9th, 2020
- Fear of global plagues and greed for money are as old as mankind - SowetanLIVE - April 9th, 2020
- [Commentary] In the post-COVID world, health security must be a matter of national security - Mongabay-India - April 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Business Tracker: How The Private Sector Is Fighting The COVID-19 Pandemic - Forbes - April 2nd, 2020
- Movie review: Doc Human Nature strikes a nerve in the age of coronavirus - Milford Daily News - April 2nd, 2020
- The PEN Pod: Reimagining the Future with Jamie Metzl - PEN America - April 2nd, 2020
- 10 Biotech Winners And Losers In Q1 - Benzinga - April 2nd, 2020
- Making the Most of a CDMO Relationship - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - April 2nd, 2020
- China, America, COVID-19 and the Mindless Conspiracy Theories, By Simbo Olorunfemi - Premium Times - April 2nd, 2020
- Podcast: Science writer Michael Specter on what you should know about the coronavirus, food security and GMOs - Genetic Literacy Project - April 2nd, 2020
- Timeline Shows 3 Paths To COVID-19 Treatment And Prevention (INFOGRAPHIC) - SynBioBeta - April 2nd, 2020
- Scientist says anti-epilepsy drug can be repurposed for Covid-19, writes to ICMR to test it - ThePrint - April 2nd, 2020
- How the novel coronavirus is mutating, and if you should be concerned - ThePrint - April 2nd, 2020
- Mapfre to donate 5 million to Spanish National Research Council - Times of Malta - April 2nd, 2020
- How far should genetic engineering go to allow this couple to have a healthy baby? - Sydney Morning Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Genetically targeted chemical assembly of functional materials in living cells, tissues, and animals - Science Magazine - March 26th, 2020
- Timeline Shows 3 Paths To COVID-19 Treatment And Prevention (INFOGRAPHIC) - Forbes - March 26th, 2020
- COVID 19: 21st Century Reality Check - The Globalist - March 26th, 2020
- After Coronavirus the World Will Never Be the Same. But Maybe, It Can Be Better - Singularity Hub - March 26th, 2020
- If and when it has time, the UK must ponder its post-Brexit biotech options - just-food.com - March 26th, 2020
- Covid 19: HOMEF Cautions On Use of Biodiversity - Leadership Newspaper - March 26th, 2020
- 2020-2025 Global and Regional Genetic Engineering Industry Production, Sales and Consumption Status and Prospects Professional Market Research Report... - March 26th, 2020
- Building a 'doomsday vault' to save the kangaroo and koala from extinction - CNET - February 24th, 2020
- Genetic engineering company says they have created a coronavirus vaccine - 9News.com KUSA - February 24th, 2020
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: Busting the myth by looking at the facts - The European Sting - February 24th, 2020
- 9 great reads from CNET this week - CNET - February 24th, 2020
- Is the vaccine to thwart the new coronavirus stored in a Houston freezer? - Houston Chronicle - February 24th, 2020
- $19.8B Synthetic Biology Market by Tools, Technology, Application and Region - Forecast to 2025 - Yahoo Finance - February 24th, 2020
- Potential CAR T-cell Therapy Targeting ROR1 Seen to Clear Cancer... - Immuno-Oncology News - February 24th, 2020
- A Word That Everybody Hates | Bert Bigelow - Patheos - February 24th, 2020